The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC & console, this includes the changes listed here.

Formations to counter opposition play?

Barslund
4644 posts National Call-Up
I was thinking that instead of sticking to one formation, with this new dynamic tactics it would make more sense to setup 4 different formations to counter the oppositions play, as it seems people only stick to one formation.

Thus, what is the 4 mist used formations in the weekend league, and what is the best way to counter them i.e. the formation to use against them.

From my current experience the most popular formations are:
4231 (1)
41212 (2)
433(4)

If true, from your own experience, what is the best to counter each of those?

I'm aware of this Guide, but I would like to get more into the detail of on why another formation counters the above 4 and how to set up for it.

Anyone care to share some insights?

Comments

• Ghotti
    3286 posts National Call-Up
    433 2 is good against all of them.
  • Barslund
    Ghotti wrote: »
    433 2 is good against all of them.

Why is that?
  • maXmood
    2013 posts Fans' Favourite
    counter formation is really important, however, i think the key to a proper counter formation is the work rate of your players.. if you change the formation and your players' work rate doesn't suit such position, then you might get a poor output from them..

and yes, those formations are the most common in WL, and mostly it's 433-4
  • Barslund
    maXmood wrote: »
    counter formation is really important, however, i think the key to a proper counter formation is the work rate of your players.. if you change the formation and your players' work rate doesn't suit such position, then you might get a poor output from them..

Would it then still be possible to set up 3 or 4 formations to counter the ones listed, and still have somewhat ideal workrate in your team?
  • maXmood
    Barslund wrote: »
    maXmood wrote: »

Would it then still be possible to set up 3 or 4 formations to counter the ones listed, and still have somewhat ideal workrate in your team?

i would say, you need to get the "players" with ideal workrate to work in different formations..

e.g. if you have a formation with wide LM/RM, you will need players with H/H, M/M or M/L workrate. when you switch to LW/RW or LF/RF formation, you will then need players with H/L or H/M workrate..

in that scenario you will basically need to find a player who is H/M so you can use him in both formations without compromising his effectiveness..

also, one player's workrate will affect other players' playstyle that are linked to him.. in theory, you need all players workrates to compliment each others..

• Barslund
    edited November 2018
    This is basically a summary of the suggested counter formations in the previously linked guide.
    OX2ETVh.png

with this being a summary of the most used formation:
    iTnFW6O.png

Not sure how much value it adds
  • Hippyboy6
    16906 posts World Class
    This is basically a summary of the suggested counter formations in the previously linked guide.
    OX2ETVh.png

iTnFW6O.png

Some people take this game far too seriously :joy:
  • maXmood
    try and take one of those formation and its counter, and fill in the formation with right players with the ideal workrate.. then take another and do the same, see if those workrates are ok on the 2nd counter? if not, then find a new player..

it's gonna be a long process, but eventually you'll find players that are ideal for couple of formations.

alot of gamers don't take into consideration any of that workrate and just play with players they like, the way they like..

• heefmondo
    1599 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by heefmondo on
  • mjs4p
    11095 posts Has That Special Something
    I’ve just started switching to 3-5-2 against narrow formations (4-1-2-1-2(2) and 4-3-1-2), and it worked great this weekend. It especially works well against high pressure because their fullbacks push up, and if you win possession and get it to a wing, you are essentially headed the other way 5 on 2, or at worst 5 on 4.
  • Sercs
    18842 posts World Class
    That formation guide above is not helpful.

Easy terms, most used formations are 433(4), 4231 and 41212-2

4231 is weak to 433 variants. If you are losing badly 433(4) however if you want simply the best formation with to beat 4231 it’s 433(2)

41212-2 is weak to 3412 and 352. Wide formations are also relatively decent but good opponents can smash you pretty badly with the quick passing 41212-2 gives. No real advantage using 4231 against 41212-2.

433(4) match it, best way.

If you are uncertain what to do, but feel like the better player just match the formation.
  • Edu
    6847 posts Big Money Move
    I am back to 5221, it is amazing, this is the only way to avoid gaps.
  • Matnevesbra
    1126 posts Professional
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »
    OX2ETVh.png

iTnFW6O.png

Some people take this game far too seriously :joy:

And i think im paranoic because i wake up to open my rewards