Crystal Palace | Season 2 | Quest for a trophy

Comments

• Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Some great results from a tough stretch. Looks like it was necessary to play the youngsters against Newcastle as the result against Manchester United was a great one. Good showing against Manchester City and perhaps Crystal Palace can close the gap next season.

Good job on the highlight video. :)
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Some massive wins in that run of games especially against United at home and Tottenham away 3 games to go chance to jump above Everton and Tottenham and really start pushing for fourth

Winning the Everton match is vital. This is the fourth must win I have played against Everton this season and we split the first three 1-1-1 so it should be a good one.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Some great results from a tough stretch. Looks like it was necessary to play the youngsters against Newcastle as the result against Manchester United was a great one. Good showing against Manchester City and perhaps Crystal Palace can close the gap next season.

Good job on the highlight video. :)

Yes it was, having only 2 days rest and 3 games in 6 days made rotations a necessity. But it gave young players a chance and two youth players a chance to make debuts.

Thank you! I finally settled on a method that makes updates easy while still showing some gameplay so I'll be able to progress quicker in this career.
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    G42VZqT.png
  • Wyojasond
    11623 posts Has That Special Something
    Fairly easy finishing schedule. Crazy how many times you’ve played Everton this year.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Compared to the latest run of game this schedule does look easy. Good chance for Palace to jump into the Top4 with still a game more in hand than the top teams.
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    ZDyYZDR.jpg
    Zaha and Lowe team up for a moment of brilliance to give Palace much needed win.

Like all the previous meetings between these two, the match was tight until the end with few chances for each side and a few moments of brilliance. Everton's keeper Jordan Pickford came up with multiple big saves to keep his side in it but it was Jamal Lowe and Wilfried Zaha who teamed up for the decisive moment.

Lowe beat his defender with some tricky dribbling to send a cross into Zaha who connected with the shot off the far post for a goal that was impossible to stop. The win moves Palace into 5th place, 1 point behind 4th.

onLzNha.jpg
    Palace stunned in Wales, Champions League now a dream

An early goal for Cardiff was all the relegated side needed to crush the top four dreams of the Eagles. Without even registering a shot on target (goal was off a deflection) Cardiff saw out the result with hard work on defense and a career day from keeper Smithies who had 11 saves.

Palace threw everything they could into the attack with 19 shots in total and 69% possession but it wasn't enough to beat the Warnock.
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    fn0ahX4.jpg
  • Wyojasond
    Some great battles all over League for positioning. Brutal to lose to a team like Cardiff with so much on the line
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    Fairly easy finishing schedule. Crazy how many times you’ve played Everton this year.

I know, it's strange being drawn against them in both cups but it does make it exciting.

Can't believe the loss to Cardiff. I felt like I would score 3 or 4 times but somehow i didn't. Frustrating loss for sure.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Compared to the latest run of game this schedule does look easy. Good chance for Palace to jump into the Top4 with still a game more in hand than the top teams.

Well it was a great chance until I slipped up against Cardiff!
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Man, what a bad time for an accident like this. And reading the comments about the game, it seems it was truly unfair. Now too many rivals have to make errors to reach the Champions League... it seems it's practically impossible.

I think Crystal Palace deserved much more this season, although the 2nd half of the season was quite irregular.

Well, one more game and a new project will start. This team have a great future, I think.
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Damn so close but yet so far. It's always the small teams who are the toughest to play against. They don't have anything to lose anymore...the chance is still there to reach the top spots. But as already said it's a small miracle with all the other teams who need to do mistakes..but a win is needed for sure!
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    That defeat to Cardiff City didn't help Champions League qualification, but Europa League looks more probable if Crystal Palace can secure that last win. Can't remember who won the league cup, was it one of the top four?
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    Man, what a bad time for an accident like this. And reading the comments about the game, it seems it was truly unfair. Now too many rivals have to make errors to reach the Champions League... it seems it's practically impossible.

I think Crystal Palace deserved much more this season, although the 2nd half of the season was quite irregular.

Well, one more game and a new project will start. This team have a great future, I think.

I agree, we started the season hoping for top 6 but as the season went on top 4 seemed more and more likely until we slipped at the end.
    ASdoZeR wrote: »
    Damn so close but yet so far. It's always the small teams who are the toughest to play against. They don't have anything to lose anymore...the chance is still there to reach the top spots. But as already said it's a small miracle with all the other teams who need to do mistakes..but a win is needed for sure!

I think I dropped more points against the bottom half then the top half this season. Very strange and frustrating.
    That defeat to Cardiff City didn't help Champions League qualification, but Europa League looks more probable if Crystal Palace can secure that last win. Can't remember who won the league cup, was it one of the top four?

Leicester City won the league cup and need to win their last game or hope Everton, United, Liverpool or Palace don't win so top 4 is chance for them.
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    lVErjYU.png
    Palace secure Europa league with win in the final game.

L7nqfmm.jpg

Top plays of the month
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    nIVgPmq.png

ydIT1PE.png

yOoO9Dz.png
  • subpop
    Congratulations for reaching the Europa League spots. Thankfully the results went in your direction and Crystal Palace did their job. Sadly, even if you tied in points with Spurs, it wasn't possible to reach the Champions League.

And now 133 M to spend!!! This is beyond crazy! You can definitely go for really big names with such a huge amount of money. Let's see who's the forward Bishop wants to bring in.

And Barcelona's Double made me smile. B)
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    subpop wrote: »
    Congratulations for reaching the Europa League spots. Thankfully the results went in your direction and Crystal Palace did their job. Sadly, even if you tied in points with Spurs, it wasn't possible to reach the Champions League.

And now 133 M to spend!!! This is beyond crazy! You can definitely go for really big names with such a huge amount of money. Let's see who's the forward Bishop wants to bring in.

And Barcelona's Double made me smile. B)

I am very surprised by the transfer budget, it's probably so high because my net spend last season was pretty high and tbat carried over plus Europa league earnings.

After looking over the squad, I think I need 3 players to be able to compete on multiple fronts. A starting striker and then a CB and midfielder to add depth. Not sure if the bew CB or MF will start, depends who we end up signing.
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    DznTWFo.png

A press conference for Bishop will take place in a few days. Please submit any questions you might have.
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    A fantastic season disappointing not to reach the top 4 it will be interesting to see who is signed in the summer I think Zouma would be a great addition but Tarkowski is probably the better option with him being English and Burnley suffering relegation.

Josh Nelson Sky Sports: After such a great season how important is it that the team is invested in this summer to build on the last campaign? Do you think the fact the team were so successful will help keep Zaha at the club should teams come knocking?
  • Wyojasond
    Jason Wyod: Bleacher Report- We’ve heard rumors of your potential summer targets and massive transfer budget. My question is, do you think Palace is an attractive enough place now for players to move too or is the team a few years out still from being able to attract more top talent like Zaha?
  • subpop
    Julio Maldonado - beIn Sports - What should we expect from Crystal Palace this summer? Is the team going to reinforce several positions or do you plan to bring a big star to increase the value of the club brand?
  • Azzabazza
    282 posts Sunday League Hero
    Following the club's first European Season, how will you differentiate the squad throughout the Europa League and the Premier League, should you get reach the knockout stages? Will the depth of the team be enough for the tough games that lie ahead in November/December?
  • ASdoZeR
    1362 posts Professional
    Hans-Georg Müller: 'Congrats on reaching the Europe League. Certainly a big day in Palaces history. It has now been leaked that the board will be very generous in terms of the upcoming budget. Is the aim to reinvest it all to go for the big shot this year or will the money be used more wisely on a long term time range with talented youngsters etc?'
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Derek Henkle AVP: "There have been mumbling among the supporter groups that the board plans to raise prices for season ticket holders. Is there any truth to the rumor? Also, the board has allocated a large sum of money for transfers, which would suggest they feel the value of the club will grow. Can you elaborate on the board's expectations for the future worth of the club. Oh, and who sells the most jerseys?
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    7SfGp4a.png

Josh Nelson Sky Sports: After such a great season how important is it that the team is invested in this summer to build on the last campaign? Do you think the fact the team were so successful will help keep Zaha at the club should teams come knocking?

It is very important to build on the progress we have made. Investing to strengthen the squad in the transfer window or by promoting from within is going to be crucial with having a busy schedule and competing on multiple fronts.

Zaha is our leader, he has 4 years left on his contract and is so happy here. As long as we are competing and improving, I think Zaha stays.

Jason Wyod: Bleacher Report- We’ve heard rumors of your potential summer targets and massive transfer budget. My question is, do you think Palace is an attractive enough place now for players to move too or is the team a few years out still from being able to attract more top talent like Zaha?

I think having Zaha makes us more attractive. Last season we were close to the top in goals scored, we were a very fun squad to watch. We are in London, a huge, attractive city and we play in a top top league. We also have European football that players love. I don't think we can bring in World Class players yet, but we can land players with World Class potential and let our brilliant staff help them reach that level.

Julio Maldonado - beIn Sports - What should we expect from Crystal Palace this summer? Is the team going to reinforce several positions or do you plan to bring a big star to increase the value of the club brand?

Expect a hard working but also very exciting team to watch. Last season we scored plenty of goals but lacked on defense. We are making some changes, starting with playing a 5-2-3 with a defensive midfielder to help stop the attack. Our skill players in attack are good enough to create something without having to push numbers forward so we will keep players back to help defend.

We have discussed both options about the transfers and feel it is best for the club to bring in multiple position players. We are looking at a starting striker, that is no secret. We are also going to hopefully add a CB and a midfielder. We have money to spend but want to be smart enough to leave enough in the budget to extend the contracts we currently have.

Following the club's first European Season, how will you differentiate the squad throughout the Europa League and the Premier League, should you get reach the knockout stages? Will the depth of the team be enough for the tough games that lie ahead in November/December?

The depth of our squad is a main concern. We plan to bring in at least 3 players to bump our numbers up to a level we will be comfortable with in order to compete in four competitions. We are not like the top teams that can pick and choose what trophies to compete for. We will try to win everything.

Hans-Georg Müller: 'Congrats on reaching Europe League. Certainly a big day in Palaces history. It has now been leaked that the board will be very generous in terms of the upcoming budget. Is the aim to reinvest it all to go for the big shot this year or will the money be used more wisely on a long term time range with talented youngsters etc?'

In a way, both. We want to bring in players to help us win this season but also make sure they are young enough to be around for years to come. We are also using the budget money to improve our academy and extend players we currently have. At this time, I don't think anyone on the team has a contract with less than 2 years remaining.

Derek Henkle AVP: "There have been mumbling among the supporter groups that the board plans to raise prices for season ticket holders. Is there any truth to the rumor? Also, the board has allocated a large sum of money for transfers, which would suggest they feel the value of the club will grow. Can you elaborate on the board's expectations for the future worth of the club. Oh, and who sells the most jerseys?

No, those rumors are completely false. I'm glad you brought that up because it is very important to the Crystal Palace ownership to set the record straight that ticket prices have not increased. And until we win a trophy, they will not increase. People pay more to see winning teams, until we lift a trophy, fans should not have to pay anything extra.

The board feels this club can become a consistent top 6 side. It is very difficult to break into the top 6 but we did it and must stay there. We also expect to go deep into all competitions and set those expectations upon ourselves.

(Laughs) I don't know the exact numbers, I'm sure Zaha will tell you he sells the most jerseys. I know Townsend, Meyer and now Butland are also very high. Everyone loves a keepers top I know!
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    nfJd0Ru.png
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    cj8Ljl9.png
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited November 2018
    Nice to see Aston Villa back in the Premier League. From a realistic standpoint, bit of a gamble for Timo Werner to be considering a contract with Crystal Palace without a top four finish. Ahh, the lure of the mighty doll...er...euro. :)
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • Stlducks
    1488 posts Professional
    Nice to see Aston Villa back in the Premier League. Fr.om a realistic standpoint, bit of a gamble for Timo Werner to be considering a contract with Crystal Palace without a top four finish. Ahh, the lure of the mighty doll...er...euro. :)

I agree but with RB having a down year, his contract expiring and the fact I can over pay. I'm hoping that will convince him.
  • Wyojasond
    Werner would be a major signing. Guessing he would use Palace as a stepping stone so hopefully you can get at least 1 good year out of him if you sign him.