WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

Comments

• Wz000
    167 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Finished silver 1 on my second WL last time was silver 2 so Improving. Getting better at closing out games but still getting scored on last minute. Have to improve my play and improve my squads. Gold 3 would be a great place to finish.
  • James2201
    360 posts An Exciting Prospect
    My second weekend league after making silver 1 last week. This week made gold 3 which I’m really pleased with. Didn’t think I would but went on a really good run of results last night. Think I need a few days off now to recharge the batteries
  • raul7kiev
    331 posts Sunday League Hero
    Ok, ended G2 17-13 in my third Wl.
    Monday night maraphone with 28 games closed... fuh... and now at work with dark-dark tea ))
    At the begining gameplay was slow and my victories alternated with defeats and closer to morning the gameplay has become much smoother and faster so I reach G3 in 25 games and G2 in game #28.

Now I wonder if it was worth it ))
  • Bolly80
    110 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Played my first weekend league finished 12-18 think I could have made it to gold 3 quiet easy if my players didnt turn to **** as soon as I got 11 wins.i was aiming for s1 so am happy time to improve this week and hit g3
  • Bigfootisblurry
    2048 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ended 14 - 8, couldn't be bothered to push for G2.

Doubt I'll have much time this week coming up, might get 10 games in if I'm lucky so I'll be happy to get into silver.
  • Equinox 85
    699 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I couldn’t be bothered to play my games last night so ended on 20-5 it’s my first dabble with WL this year. Found it easier than rivals for the majority.
  • EricVanDerek
    588 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Thanks to all for contributing updates, particularly those on this thread for the first time: welcome, and here's hoping your rewards make all the effort, frustration and rage feel worthwhile...

@Wz000 It's a good point about experience and game management.
    I won't completely time-waste if leading (a quaint, old fashioned notion of treating my opponent with respect), but at the same time I've realised the hard way how important it is to cut down on risks at certain points to ensure that "dynamic moments" aren't given a chance to have an impact...
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ok so i went 20-9 last week which was my first WL....

this weekend i got to 16-9 , leaving me with having to win 4 out of my final 5 games for G1. I won 4 out of 4 to end up with exactly the same as last week :D

I played my final game just for the 400 DR points and gave someone else a win they hopefully needed :)
  • EricVanDerek
    As wiser men than me have said "it's a funny old game" (Greavsie...)

After my rather splendid run of just a single win in 10 games (and that one was on penalties), I then won 7 of the next 9 (including 5 on the spin) to take me to Silver 1 with a few games in hand. That included a rage quit after 5:16 of game time (by which time I'd scored twice) - always nice when that happens :)

Doubtless I was helped by match-making, but I'd like to think my play had something to do with it as well... I changed my formation from (primarily) 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3, and found it helped me with my defensive solidity. I've struggled creating chances against packed and aggressive defences, so I wasn't worried about losing my cutting edge, as I didn't have one to begin with - but if anything it helped with that as well.

The highlight of the whole WL was an own goal my oppo scored from 40 yards - it was lobbed, so I can only assume he'd pressed the square button to try and slide me. What was great was that his keeper was on the line, but didn't move - he just watched it into the net right beside him. (he won the game easily, so it wasn't game-changing). I've saved the replay, so will try and upload at some point - but don't hold your breath...

• EricVanDerek
    I played my final game just for the 400 DR points and gave someone else a win they hopefully needed :)

My heart melts - what a wonderful person you are :)
  • Iv qualified for the first time but this weekend is no good for me to get any fifa time, if I don't redeem the points will they carry over to the next WL ?
  • eddopoolfc
    342 posts Sunday League Hero
    WATP1872 wrote: »
    Iv qualified for the first time but this weekend is no good for me to get any fifa time, if I don't redeem the points will they carry over to the next WL ?

I think they do carry over so you don't have to use them straight away.
  • eddopoolfc wrote: »
    Iv qualified for the first time but this weekend is no good for me to get any fifa time, if I don't redeem the points will they carry over to the next WL ?

I think they do carry over so you don't have to use them straight away.

Ok, cheers for the reply.
  • Chavez76
    1812 posts Play-Off Hero

as long as you do not press the 'redeem your access to the weekend league' button, the points will remain. Just be aware that you can not gain any new points now.
  • SteGriff83
    130 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Been reading this thread (top thread by the way lads!) and it’s inspired me to enter weekend league for the first time, not sure how many games I’ll get in tbh tho. At work all day today but will try over the weekend.
  • EricVanDerek
    SteGriff83 wrote: »
    it’s inspired me to enter weekend league for the first time
    That's what we're here for - the inspirational thread that will lead you gently by the hand into a weekend of rage, frustration and broken controllers... ;-)

Let us know what team you're rocking, and how you get on - as I'm sure you've already realised from reading others' experiences, don't worry if you lose far more than you win initially, match-making will make it much easier.

Good luck to all crap improving players in this WL (unless you play me, of course...)
  • eddopoolfc
    342 posts Sunday League Hero
    Got chose Chillwell as my reward pick this week, there was an 82 rated one there, but he was next to useless so went with him. Probably won't even use him.
  • nextqprmanager
    3157 posts National Call-Up
    Just my second venture into WL this weekend, am I right in thinking , match-making is determined from your first 5 games?
  • Hori25
    201 posts Sunday League Hero
    Just my second venture into WL this weekend, am I right in thinking , match-making is determined from your first 5 games?

think it will change along the way. You need 5 games to be eligible to receive rewards.

I'm also going for my 2nd one. Good luck to you and where are you aiming for?
  • Hori25
    Btw.. If any of you would like to add me my Psn is same as username here. Will be fun to keep track of eachothers progress :)
  • nextqprmanager
    3157 posts National Call-Up
    Hori25 wrote: »

think it will change along the way. You need 5 games to be eligible to receive rewards.

GL to you also
    IDK, my first WL was something like 7/13, over 3 days
    so you only have to play 5 matches, or win 5?
    I know the rewards are good to get, thats why its best to qualify & try a few matches.
  • Hori25
    Hori25 wrote: »

GL to you also
    IDK, my first WL was something like 7/13, over 3 days
    so you only have to play 5 matches, or win 5?
    I know the rewards are good to get, thats why its best to qualify & try a few matches.

just play 5.. try to go the 11 win mark so you get 2 red players :)
  • EricVanDerek
    As I understand it, matchmaking is only determined after the first 5 games - so even if you lose the first 4 games, in your 5th you could play a Pro who's also just starting out in their first 5 games.

After 5 games, matchmaking will start to kick in - so you're more likely to play others at your level. For duffers like me, it's only when I get to about 10 games that I start to be matched against similarly weaker players/

Rewards kick in either with 2 wins (Bronze 2) or 5 games (Bronze 3)

Unfortunately you only get 2 red picks only at Gold 3 - 14 wins. But 11 wins (Silver 1) does mean there's not a max 84 rating on your pick, so a big improvement on Silver 2.

my psn is "grimbo" if anyone wants to add
  • Crazymundo
    90 posts Park Captain
    Well guys.....it’s that time of the week again where boys become men and zero’s become heroes.

My 2nd foray in the fire pit that is WL. After last weeks silver 1 I’m hoping to push on and reach silver 2. Time will be my toughest opponent this weekend as have some family stuff to do but will try my best. I hate it when family gets in the way of FIFA.

I’m all prep’d. Got the multipack of red bull in to keep my energy levels at peak level and a box of tissues for tears that are bound to flow.

Best of luck to all u rookies and may the FIFA19 gods be in your side.

Just remember to be the best u must beat the best.
  • lastfifa
    1526 posts Play-Off Hero
    Going for my second WL. Lots of improvements to squads but i playing worst since patch.

Last time got gold 3 with 27 games. This week goal is silver 1 and everything above is bonus. Will spread games over whole weekend a 10 games/ day.

Will ad you guys when i get home to my ps list.. my psn is saxon_747
  • Walsgrove_V2
    2196 posts Fans' Favourite
    Has the patch even hit PS4 yet?
  • lastfifa
    1526 posts Play-Off Hero
    Has the patch even hit PS4 yet?

Last weeks patch..
  • EricVanDerek
    Crazymundo wrote: »
    After last weeks silver 1 I’m hoping to push on and reach silver 2.

OK @Crazymundo, we need to have a serious talk about confidence and goal setting.
    I'm expecting you to push on and get Gold 3 this week, not go backwards to Silver 2... :)
    Good luck whatever you're aiming for
  • Crazymundo
    90 posts Park Captain
    Ha ha Sorry Erik....got confused....had 11 wins last week aiming for 14 this week...believing is half the battle
  • Hori25
    @EricVanDerek Thanks for the advice you gave me on my team last week. I've replaced Jesus with Firminho and Dani Alves with Felipe Luis on 7 Chem and works alot better.

Going okish so far, got quite some games in and currently 8-6.

One thing I've noticed is the absurd amount of crazy teams.. These are all people I can compete with so can't be teams who end up higher than Gold 2.. However they're filled with all the red Desirable players along with Icons / Ronaldo / Messi etc.. I can imagine some being lucky or extremely good traders, but somehow I reckon these guys are all FC Creditcards..