451 (2) Formation Guide-Play different

tilen11
5383 posts Big Money Move
edited October 2018
Hello all!

I have decided to make a guide about the 4-5-1 (2) formation. I have been playing FIFA for a long time, always played with the 4-4-1-1 formation but this year I just couldnt get the hang of it due to many people adopting high pressure, constant pressure etc. I didnt want distance myself from 4-4-1-1 since its the most enjoyable formation, so 4-5-1 (2) was the right choice for me. Ive been conceding goals with 4-4-1-1 mainly because I defend manually and sometimes couldnt make a tackle at the right time and that left me exposed and there is no one in the back that could potentionally fill the open space thats left.
FORMATION

With its emphasis on packing the midfield to both keep possession and make it hard for opponents to pass through you, the 4-5-1 is frequently the formation of choice when you want to keep hold of the ball and control the game, avoiding defeat.

What it gains in defensive solidarity and tempo management it loses in attacking threat, however. Launching surprise, unconventional attacks is difficult under this system, especially when the wide midfielders are primarily deployed as extra cover out wide as opposed to being forward threats.

4-1-4-1 can be seen as a variation on the 4-5-1. However, the system is generally part of the three-in-central-midfield family of formations that is so popular in today's game.
DiTDrkP.gif

STRENGHTS

With so many bodies in the centre of the pitch, adopters of the 4-5-1 tend to find themselves enjoying an enormous amount of possession.

Offensive adaptability is equally possible, too. By pushing the two wide midfielders higher up the pitch it's relatively simple to move to something closer to a 4-3-3. Often, then, you'll see a team deploying 4-3-3 at the start of a game, only to revert to a 4-5-1 as soon as they take the lead.

WEAKNESSES

Given the focus on controlling the midfield, there is often a tendency for the lone strikers in a 4-5-1 to become isolated. Midfielders are not always as ready to burst forward and support their striker in the way they would if playing a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. As a result, chasing games from this formation can represent a genuine challenge and you'll often see a complete reshuffle should a 4-5-1 team concede the first goal.

SUCCESSFULL AGAINST

4-3-3: The 4-5-1s three-person central midfield matches nicely against the edition seen in a 4-3-3, while the orthodox wide midfielders offer extra protection against the opponent's attacking wide options. IT also does very well against narrow formations since its really packed in the midfield area.

HOW THE FORMATION WORKS IN GAME

As we all know in FIFA, 4321, 433 variations and narrow 41212 along with 4312 are the most common. This formation can counter each and every one of these formations. As Ive mentioned it offers you great stability in the middle and also allows you to cover the wings with you wide midfielders. If someone is a better player, he will of course eventually win the game but you are not putting yourself at a dissadvantage by using a more "passive" formation.

Wide midfielders allow you to spread the play and 3 central midfielders allow you to control possession meaning there are always enough passing options. Not every player is the same and that taken into account some people may have player instructions set differently and that would result in different player behaviour. Your goal is to control possession, be patient and exploit your opponents mistakes. Players work rates mean a lot in this formation and well get there in no time.

The formation isnt as fast, arcady as some but if you enjoy playing with a targetman in attack OR a smaller ST that could potentionally work well as a F9 then this is something for you.

PLAYERS FOR EACH POSITION

GOALKEEPER: I wont say which goalkeeper is the best. Picking a goallie is a personal preference and if a goallie works for you than leave him. But choices here are pretty simple for a game of FIFA if we are looking at the best ones.
De Gea, Courtouis, Lloris, Allison, Navas, Handanović, Oblak, Neuer

CENTRAL DEFENDER

Here you are looking for someone that has good height, good strenght and of course defending. Work rates are very important also.

Best work rates: L/H, M/H.
Work rates that work: M/M and H/M combined with a L/H or M/H
Avoid: 2 M/M defenders since their positioning is just off, M/M-H/M since they both bomb forward to much.
ugIigTE.jpg

BACKS

Your choice in left and right back also has to be right. Dribbling, passing, defending and physical are all important. It also helps if a player has good crossing stats since they will deliver quite some crosses. The best option in this formation is that backs help you in attack. YOu could put them to join the attack or leave them on balanced and put instructions on them so they overlap. That gives you another passing option out wide.

Best work rates: H/H are the best but there arent a lot of backs that have H/H so H/M is the way to go.
Work rates that work: M/H also work very well since they dont bomb forward as much. They do overlap but are always at the back when you need them. H/L also works well when you use them to join attack but be sure that your wide midfielder will cover the open space thats left behind.
Avoid: M/M backs. Positioning is off and they dont contribute as much in attack nor defence.
R0l3sKX.jpg

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS

Here we have lots and lots of different options and combinations. Your CCM is the one that needs to have M/H since he is your "CDM" the one that will stay back, will offer a passing option backwards and who will also from time to time start your attack. He need to have good passing, good physical and defending.
Your RCM or LCM (your choice) will also stay back but will support the attack more than your CCM. Again good passing, semi-good shooting, physical and defending are important. Your CM that wont stay back is the one that will dictate your attacks and will be your playmaker and on many occasions the one that will score goals also. Passing, dribbling, shooting are important but defending and physical are also stats that need to be decent.
I wont say much about work rates here but just bear in mind to avoid more than 1 M/M midfielder.
3FFukap.jpg

WINGERS

Wingers are very important in this formation. Great shooting and dribbling along with passing are the most important attributes to look for. Great crossing is a nice addition but if you are looking to cut inside and use finesse shots or any other kind of shot than turn a blind eye to crossing.

Best work rates: H/H are the best since they will help you in defence more than H/M but H/M is 2nd best option.
Work rates that work: M/M works here but I couldnt get enough from these players
Avoid: H/L and M/L since they will leave you exposed on the wings
jXi8b0W.jpg

STRIKER

The one that will score. A lot. You are looking for someone that has great shooting, physical, jumping, heading. Pace isnt that important and passing also doesnt have to be that good. He will of course drop back from time to time to help you build attacks but thats about it. Target man is what Ive used so far and had great success. Cant say how other instructions or other players would work since I havent used them but if anyone will use a different kind of striker, he can freely post here so we can discuss.

Best work rates: H/M since they offer the best striker positioning
Work rates that work: H/H but you have to be prepared for your striker to drop back a bit more, M/L works well also
Avoid: M/M because their positioning isnt great
hERaZPE.jpg

WHAT I AM USING

WhkGibH.gif
SbDMVfh.gif

MY CUSTOM TACTICS (since 16.10.2018:

Balanced

Balanced

PLAYER INSTRUCTIONS:

STRIKER: Stay Forward, Stay Central, Target Man
LM and RM: Come Back On Defence, Stay Wide
CCM: Stay Back, Cover Center
CM you will be using for additional help at the back: Stay Back, Cover center
CM (Playmaker): Cover Center
LB and RB: Overlap

Thats about it. How you will play with this formation is of course your choice. We all have different styles of play, different opinions on how the formation would be best utilized and thats how it should be.

ALSO players that work in their positions despite WRs:

Javi Martinez "CDM"
Arturo Vidal "CDM"
Sergio Ramos CB
Marco Reus LM

I will regurarly update the guide whenever I try something new. Cheers and lets play some nice football.

Post edited by tilen11 on

Comments

• tilen11
    edited October 2018
    CTs (Smithy1882)

balanced

balanced

full backs balanced
    defensive cm stay back cover centre
    other 2 mids balanced and cover wings
    striker stay forward and stay central
    Post edited by tilen11 on
  • tilen11
    Reserved
  • tilen11
    Reserved
  • Safehands84
    3714 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2018
    Nice guide.

I’ve been experimenting with 433(2) found I’m creating plenty but conceding a lot as well. I’ll give this a whirl over next few days. I’m playing pack only so my teams are a bit mare at the moment
  • gresh1978
    2657 posts Fans' Favourite
    @tilen11 out of curiosity which of the Cms is your playmaker?
  • greif44
    2669 posts Fans' Favourite
    @tilen11 how successful are you with this team, CTs and instructions?
  • Cesc_Fabreg_4
    40 posts Park Captain
    First of all - Great guide!
    Already read a few of your posts in the 4411 guide and got some help from you via pm, so I'm happy to see your guide. I run these two sides, with which I am going to test this formation.

Team 1: https://www.futbin.com//19/squad/1075966
    (Only Skriniar on 7 Chemistry)

Team 2:https://www.futbin.com//19/squad/1076056
    (Only Alvaro IF on 7 Chemistry) (unsure if Mahrez or Silva IF would be the better fit at RM, who would you suggest?)

The first two games I had problems to adapt to this formation, as it is very crowded in midfield and I struggled to keep possession of the ball due to having all the players in one line. Also I felt getting exposed on the side where I had the more attacking CM, which left a hole in my midfield. But I believe this is normal until you get the grips with the formation. But I still like due to the possibilities it offers reading player selection. You can easily adapt it in game to a 433(2) if you need a goal or to a 4141 if you want to hold the lead, as the players are usually very well suited for these formations, too.

Is it necessary on which side the more attacking CM sits? (who are your playmakers in your teams?)
    Also, you don't have any of your midfielders with some attacking support (Overlap, Join attack,...). Do your wingers still contribute enough?
    Also an more personal question. Why have you decided to use the 451(2) instead of the 4141, which offers you a CDM for defensive cover?
  • tilen11
    Nice guide.

I’ve been experimenting with 433(2) found I’m creating plenty but conceding a lot as well. I’ll give this a whirl over next few days. I’m playing pack only so my teams are a bit mare at the moment

433 (2) has also been one of my favourite formations. You could play nice tika-taka and there were lots of scoring opportunities.
  • tilen11
    gresh1978 wrote: »
    @tilen11 out of curiosity which of the Cms is your playmaker?

Playmaker in spanish side is Wass and Pjanic in serie A.
  • tilen11
    greif44 wrote: »
    @tilen11 how successful are you with this team, CTs and instructions?

My first weekend league Ive managed to get 11W with 6 games left with 4411 formation. Could probably get G3 if I wanted to.

2nd WL Ive decided to change the formation and managed to get 15W with 9 left to play. Didnt have time to play the remaining games but it was a massive improvement.
  • tilen11
    Already read a few of your posts in the 4411 guide and got some help from you via pm, so I'm happy to see your guide. I run these two sides, with which I am going to test this formation.

(Only Alvaro IF on 7 Chemistry) (unsure if Mahrez or Silva IF would be the better fit at RM, who would you suggest?)

The first two games I had problems to adapt to this formation, as it is very crowded in midfield and I struggled to keep possession of the ball due to having all the players in one line. Also I felt getting exposed on the side where I had the more attacking CM, which left a hole in my midfield. But I believe this is normal until you get the grips with the formation. But I still like due to the possibilities it offers reading player selection. You can easily adapt it in game to a 433(2) if you need a goal or to a 4141 if you want to hold the lead, as the players are usually very well suited for these formations, too.

Is it necessary on which side the more attacking CM sits? (who are your playmakers in your teams?)
    Also, you don't have any of your midfielders with some attacking support (Overlap, Join attack,...). Do your wingers still contribute enough?
    Also an more personal question. Why have you decided to use the 451(2) instead of the 4141, which offers you a CDM for defensive cover?

I lost quite a few games when I was adapting to the formaton. Lost also a ton of games with 4411 in the start of every new FIFA since you have to adapt to new mechanincs.

451 (2) is hard to "master" just like its harder to get the grips of 4411 for example. Honestly i dont know why I went for 451(2). Probably because of packed midfield.

It doesnt matter where your attacking CM is. At least I had 0 problems with that. Overlap and join attack are instructions you put on you backs. I have overlap instructions on my LB and RB.

If you are experiencing that you are getting exposed on the side where your attacking CM is, just close the middle with your "CDM" so they cant pass through the middle. While you close the spot your winger will alread be in his position wider and he will close the wing.

You could also set your defence width to more narrow one so wingers will also be narrower.
  • SJR440
    4436 posts National Call-Up
    Bookmarked, glad you did the guide man :)
  • Cesc_Fabreg_4
    40 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2018
    tilen11 wrote: »

I lost quite a few games when I was adapting to the formaton. Lost also a ton of games with 4411 in the start of every new FIFA since you have to adapt to new mechanincs.

451 (2) is hard to "master" just like its harder to get the grips of 4411 for example. Honestly i dont know why I went for 451(2). Probably because of packed midfield.

It doesnt matter where your attacking CM is. At least I had 0 problems with that. Overlap and join attack are instructions you put on you backs. I have overlap instructions on my LB and RB.

If you are experiencing that you are getting exposed on the side where your attacking CM is, just close the middle with your "CDM" so they cant pass through the middle. While you close the spot your winger will alread be in his position wider and he will close the wing.

You could also set your defence width to more narrow one so wingers will also be narrower.

thank you for your advice.
    Will not give up on trying to master this tactic, as I believe that it has a lot of potential for some nice tiki taka style of play.

Just as I am undecided on who to pick for RM, would you go for Bernardo Silva IF or Mahrez?
    The prices and stats are pretty similar. Bernardo has the better Workrates (H/M vs M/M), but Mahrez has better Weakfoot and skills, which could be important for crossings and beating players out wide (even though I'm not too much of a skiller). Mahrez also has that finesse shot trait (even though I believe i never scored one :smiley: )

• tilen11

Will not give up on trying to master this tactic, as I believe that it has a lot of potential for some nice tiki taka style of play.

Just as I am undecided on who to pick for RM, would you go for Bernardo Silva IF or Mahrez?
    The prices and stats are pretty similar. Bernardo has the better Workrates (H/M vs M/M), but Mahrez has better Weakfoot and skills, which could be important for crossings and beating players out wide (even though I'm not too much of a skiller). Mahrez also has that finesse shot trait (even though I believe i never scored one :smiley: )

If you will expreince problems while playing with the formation after playing with it for some time just switch. I didnt go far from 4411 since like Ive said it allows me to play how I want to play and if that means Ill lose games because the game is designed for idk quicked football so be it. Im playing out of joy not for wins.

To answer your question. You cant go wrong with either of them. I didnt like Mahrez when I played with him but Silva NIF was very good and fun.
  • tilen11
    SJR440 wrote: »
    Bookmarked, glad you did the guide man :)

Ty mate :). Maybe youll come around again when you will want to try the formation again.
  • Thamightyboro
    7108 posts Big Money Move
    Good guide dude.

As you know I'm playing the not too disimilar 4141 the bane of hybridisation lol.

Gonna try the 451 for a few tonight I imagine it's near identical but would allow me to hybrid about easier.
  • greif44
    2669 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bookmarked the thread, will give it a try. I played 4411 and 433(2) most of the time since the game started, but so far nothing has been consistent for me.
  • Ishibum
    12738 posts Has That Special Something

IF Bernie. You can then sell him for profit if you don't like
  • tilen11
    Good guide dude.

As you know I'm playing the not too disimilar 4141 the bane of hybridisation lol.

Gonna try the 451 for a few tonight I imagine it's near identical but would allow me to hybrid about easier.

Hey man, thought you would come by.

Tried the 414 also and there is almost zero difference between the 2. The only difference is that in 4141 your CDM is a bit further back but it also allows you to pack the midfield area.

Its near identical yes and it depends on how you put your PIs.
  • smithy1882
    371 posts Sunday League Hero
    nice guide 👍
    been giving this a go along witht he 4141.
    both feel good and very simular.
    i’m just getting used to playing a bit different and more patient and picking the right passes
  • tilen11
    smithy1882 wrote: »
    nice guide 👍
    been giving this a go along witht he 4141.
    both feel good and very simular.
    i’m just getting used to playing a bit different and more patient and picking the right passes

Ty mate.

Yes thats the idea. Playing slowly and patiently. If you pick the right pass at the right time its game over. You just need to keep playing with th formation until you get used to it.
  • nextqprmanager
    3331 posts National Call-Up
    tilen11 Good guide
    I played this formation last night - probably only 3 matches but felt pretty good
    I must admit I cant see a big difference from 4411 yet
  • tilen11
    tilen11 Good guide
    I played this formation last night - probably only 3 matches but felt pretty good

Hey mate! :)

Nah there isnt much difference. You dont have a CF. Its like your CF moved deeper and that it. You can eventually put not 1 but 2 of your CMs on balanced/get forward and you have an even more attacking version of 4411.
  • tilen11
    I will update the teams and instructions along with tactics when Ill use something new. So far Im still using what Ive posted in the op.
  • FreddieKane
    567 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Been following a few of your comments on the 4411 thread and I'm always glad to have more guides popping up!

Just one nitpick - in the guide you say your CCM should be M/H but on your La Liga team you've got Saul (M/H) at LCM and Vidal (M/M) at CCM, is there any particular reason why? I'm assuming you just prefer Vidal as the holding mid and are ignoring the workrates haha.

• nextqprmanager
    3331 posts National Call-Up
    tilen11 Good guide

Nah there isnt much difference. You dont have a CF. Its like your CF moved deeper and that it. You can eventually put not 1 but 2 of your CMs on balanced/get forward and you have an even more attacking version of 4411.

Yeah last night I changed my 4411 to `press on heavy touch` & Possession`
    as Fifasolved Tika Taka Video - I liked this
    maybe try it with 451-2 ?
  • tilen11
    Been following a few of your comments on the 4411 thread and I'm always glad to have more guides popping up!

Just one nitpick - in the guide you say your CCM should be M/H but on your La Liga team you've got Saul (M/H) at LCM and Vidal (M/M) at CCM, is there any particular reason why? I'm assuming you just prefer Vidal as the holding mid and are ignoring the workrates haha.

No. I need to update the guide and write down players that can still play in their positions despite WRs since they are just too good.

Vidal can play as CDM despite M/M
    Ramos can play at CB despite H/M

For example
  • tilen11
    tilen11 Good guide

Yeah last night I changed my 4411 to `press on heavy touch` & Possession`
    as Fifasolved Tika Taka Video - I liked this
    maybe try it with 451-2 ?

Why not? :)

You could try and post your team, CTs and PIs.
  • smithy1882
    371 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2018
    used this and 4141 last night (pretty much plays the same).
    won all 8 games and most if them by 3 goals.
    wide mids get so involved, willian scored every game and assisted loads as well.
    using firmino as striker just set to stay forward and stay central and hes awesome as well.
    scores for fun but also links up with the wide men and attacking mids.
    fabinho is a shield for the back 4, fred is everywhere and delle alli makes great runs forwards.

https://i.imgur.com/FYLpa3f.jpg
  • tilen11
    smithy1882 wrote: »
    used this and 4141 last night (pretty much plays the same).
    won all 8 games and most if them by 3 goals.
    wide mids get so involved, willian scored every game and assisted loads as well.
    using firmino as striker just set to stay forward and stay central and hes awesome as well.
    scores for fun but also links up with the wide men and attacking mids.
    fabinho is a shield for the back 4, fred is everywhere and delle alli makes great runs forwards.

https://i.imgur.com/FYLpa3f.jpg

Nice team.

CTs and PIs?