Buying top defenders first.

Drizzt
469 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited October 2018
I posted this in another forum, any advice please?


Has anyone started at the back with icon defenses and built a team with just good players up front?

I remember back in my Xbox days especially in FIFA 15, I had an okay team, but had Blanc and Desilly (sp) as my two CB with Lloris in nets. I won more than I lost and only had a few good players in midfield and upfront.

I'm sucking so far at this game and I'm tempted to go balls out on a CB to partner Virgil. Is this a waste of coins and I should concentrate on attack or defence?

I'm embarrassed to admit but my 13 year old son jeeos on giving me advice andvsays anyone can score goals and it's all about the midfield, but maybe a solid backline can do wonders?

Thinking of maybe Nesta or Blanc? I had LB Maldini when baby SBC icons came out in 18 and played him at CB and promised myself he would be in my team again this year as he was immense, but 600k for a baby LB is too much.

Thoughts mates?

Cheers.

Comments

  • Fletch
    3402 posts National Call-Up
    My first 2 purchases this year after opening all the packs I did was Ramos and Prime Hierro. Not only are they amazing, but I've made 300k after tax combined on them lol.

    I notice a big difference in the elite defenders to budget ones this year
  • Purplejacket
    2395 posts Fans' Favourite
    .mmmm. of course id spend for players like varane and van dijk and ramos. But first icon id buy is the midfield, they are too important.
  • LovelyVillain
    3579 posts National Call-Up
    I always recommend building the Midfield. Most Strikers can score and there are so many great cheap defenders. For example, 83 Tah is almost as good as Boateng. Having used both, the difference is minimal. However with CMs, particularly CDMs and CAMs, you can feel a difference. A top tier CDM will defend and create for you in attack in a way only few can match, like maybe Kondogbia. If not Midfielders, get a top tier Striker.
  • QuinnUK87
    1801 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 2018
    Wow.. Did you just compare a CB with 63 acceleration, 64 Staminia 48 agility and 44 balance to Boateng? Lol...
  • Mmandras
    1830 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 2018
    I feel like your coins are best used if you put everything in attack. Expensive mid and defense is just a waste of coins at this point. The reason is huge boosts you can get from chemistry and overall score getting affected by almost irrelevant stats like passing. Also it's so much more tactical game than stats based. If you get smashed by expensive team it's because of the player. They are for the most part vanity and cosmetic items.

    Friendly tip, just get Akanji with shadow for 1500c. Every CB with 80+ in this game is perfect to run down and play catch up with pacey strikers.
  • LovelyVillain
    3579 posts National Call-Up
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Wow.. Did you just compare a CB with 63 acceleration, 64 Staminia 48 agility and 44 balance to Boateng? Lol...

    Huh? Boateng only has 69 ACC compared to Tahs 64 Lmao what are you on about? Boateng only has 56 Agility and 52 Balance as well. Stamina is irrelevant on CBs and Boateng only has 69 anyway. Did you think Boateng was fast and agile? Lmao Tah is within 5 points or less in every key stat compared to Boateng. I’ve used both and the difference is Marginal. You put Anchor on Tah and the difference is even less noticeable.

    It’s absolutely HILARIOUS that you acted like Boateng’s +5 ACC is going to make him feel like Varane compared to Tah lmao... they feel extremely similar in game. If I didn’t have the coins to use any CB I want, I would use Tah instead. In fact, if I were to make downgrades, the first one I would make would be Tah for Boateng.
  • QuinnUK87
    1801 posts Play-Off Hero
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Wow.. Did you just compare a CB with 63 acceleration, 64 Staminia 48 agility and 44 balance to Boateng? Lol...

    Huh? Boateng only has 69 ACC compared to Tahs 64 Lmao what are you on about? Boateng only has 56 Agility and 52 Balance as well. Stamina is irrelevant on CBs and Boateng only has 69 anyway. Did you think Boateng was fast and agile? Lmao Tah is within 5 points or less in every key stat compared to Boateng. I’ve used both and the difference is Marginal. You put Anchor on Tah and the difference is even less noticeable.

    It’s absolutely HILARIOUS that you acted like Boateng’s +5 ACC is going to make him feel like Varane compared to Tah lmao... they feel extremely similar in game. If I didn’t have the coins to use any CB I want, I would use Tah instead. In fact, if I were to make downgrades, the first one I would make would be Tah for Boateng.

    + 5 in every single stat is an age on Fifa... You talk about anchors, but you put an anchor on Boateng and he's leaps and bounds above Tah again.
  • Drizzt
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Some great food for thought peeps. Cheers.

    I think Van Dijk is the best defender so far this FIFA that I've used and dare I say better than Ramos 😉.

    Hes got me out of so much trouble that I think a Campbell or Hierro might make the difference in defence plus a Ballack type figure.

    Fabinho is great so maybe I might pair him with a Petit or Veron.

    Cheers.
  • QuinnUK87
    1801 posts Play-Off Hero
    Drizzt wrote: »
    Some great food for thought peeps. Cheers.

    I think Van Dijk is the best defender so far this FIFA that I've used and dare I say better than Ramos 😉.

    Hes got me out of so much trouble that I think a Campbell or Hierro might make the difference in defence plus a Ballack type figure.

    Fabinho is great so maybe I might pair him with a Petit or Veron.

    Cheers.

    Don't waste your coins on either Veron or Petit. They are honestly shocking this year.

    Petit was my favourite CDM last year too, so was gutted when he performed like trash. Baby Blanc is much better than both of them.
  • Gamble
    445 posts Sunday League Hero
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Drizzt wrote: »
    Some great food for thought peeps. Cheers.

    I think Van Dijk is the best defender so far this FIFA that I've used and dare I say better than Ramos 😉.

    Hes got me out of so much trouble that I think a Campbell or Hierro might make the difference in defence plus a Ballack type figure.

    Fabinho is great so maybe I might pair him with a Petit or Veron.

    Cheers.

    Don't waste your coins on either Veron or Petit. They are honestly shocking this year.

    Petit was my favourite CDM last year too, so was gutted when he performed like trash. Baby Blanc is much better than both of them.

    +1 for Baby Blanc. Miles better than prime Petit!
  • Drizzt
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Drizzt wrote: »
    Some great food for thought peeps. Cheers.

    I think Van Dijk is the best defender so far this FIFA that I've used and dare I say better than Ramos 😉.

    Hes got me out of so much trouble that I think a Campbell or Hierro might make the difference in defence plus a Ballack type figure.

    Fabinho is great so maybe I might pair him with a Petit or Veron.

    Cheers.

    Don't waste your coins on either Veron or Petit. They are honestly shocking this year.

    Petit was my favourite CDM last year too, so was gutted when he performed like trash. Baby Blanc is much better than both of them.
    Gamble wrote: »
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Drizzt wrote: »
    Some great food for thought peeps. Cheers.

    I think Van Dijk is the best defender so far this FIFA that I've used and dare I say better than Ramos 😉.

    Hes got me out of so much trouble that I think a Campbell or Hierro might make the difference in defence plus a Ballack type figure.

    Fabinho is great so maybe I might pair him with a Petit or Veron.

    Cheers.

    Don't waste your coins on either Veron or Petit. They are honestly shocking this year.

    Petit was my favourite CDM last year too, so was gutted when he performed like trash. Baby Blanc is much better than both of them.

    +1 for Baby Blanc. Miles better than prime Petit!

    Cheers, he's in the pot.
  • LovelyVillain
    3579 posts National Call-Up
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Wow.. Did you just compare a CB with 63 acceleration, 64 Staminia 48 agility and 44 balance to Boateng? Lol...

    Huh? Boateng only has 69 ACC compared to Tahs 64 Lmao what are you on about? Boateng only has 56 Agility and 52 Balance as well. Stamina is irrelevant on CBs and Boateng only has 69 anyway. Did you think Boateng was fast and agile? Lmao Tah is within 5 points or less in every key stat compared to Boateng. I’ve used both and the difference is Marginal. You put Anchor on Tah and the difference is even less noticeable.

    It’s absolutely HILARIOUS that you acted like Boateng’s +5 ACC is going to make him feel like Varane compared to Tah lmao... they feel extremely similar in game. If I didn’t have the coins to use any CB I want, I would use Tah instead. In fact, if I were to make downgrades, the first one I would make would be Tah for Boateng.

    + 5 in every single stat is an age on Fifa... You talk about anchors, but you put an anchor on Boateng and he's leaps and bounds above Tah again.

    But it’s not +5 in every key stat, most are 2-3. I used +5 because that’s the absolute most any key stat Boateng has over Tah. Not only that, but with Anchor, every defensive stat on Tah is 90+. They are both the same height, and both have M/M. Boateng has +5 Marking, but 90 Marking with Anchor along with 98 Strength and his defensive stats as follows:

    85 INT
    90 Heading Accuracy
    90 Marking
    98 Stand Tackle
    94 Slide Tackle

    So like I said, Tah and Boateng are pretty similar. Boateng is better as you would expect from a player selling for 70k more coins or so, but it’s not by a lot at all. Physically they are extremely similar and defensively they are within 3-5 points in everything that matters pretty much.
  • Drizzt
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Wow.. Did you just compare a CB with 63 acceleration, 64 Staminia 48 agility and 44 balance to Boateng? Lol...

    Huh? Boateng only has 69 ACC compared to Tahs 64 Lmao what are you on about? Boateng only has 56 Agility and 52 Balance as well. Stamina is irrelevant on CBs and Boateng only has 69 anyway. Did you think Boateng was fast and agile? Lmao Tah is within 5 points or less in every key stat compared to Boateng. I’ve used both and the difference is Marginal. You put Anchor on Tah and the difference is even less noticeable.

    It’s absolutely HILARIOUS that you acted like Boateng’s +5 ACC is going to make him feel like Varane compared to Tah lmao... they feel extremely similar in game. If I didn’t have the coins to use any CB I want, I would use Tah instead. In fact, if I were to make downgrades, the first one I would make would be Tah for Boateng.

    + 5 in every single stat is an age on Fifa... You talk about anchors, but you put an anchor on Boateng and he's leaps and bounds above Tah again.

    But it’s not +5 in every key stat, most are 2-3. I used +5 because that’s the absolute most any key stat Boateng has over Tah. Not only that, but with Anchor, every defensive stat on Tah is 90+. They are both the same height, and both have M/M. Boateng has +5 Marking, but 90 Marking with Anchor along with 98 Strength and his defensive stats as follows:

    85 INT
    90 Heading Accuracy
    90 Marking
    98 Stand Tackle
    94 Slide Tackle

    So like I said, Tah and Boateng are pretty similar. Boateng is better as you would expect from a player selling for 70k more coins or so, but it’s not by a lot at all. Physically they are extremely similar and defensively they are within 3-5 points in everything that matters pretty much.

    I understand what you're saying mate, but I do think that sometimes that + something can make a difference. A Tah with an anchor will be no where near as good as a Boateng with an anchor.

    Still, not really what I'm wanting to know, 😉. The question is would spending 600k on a Hierro be worth it over a Tah or Boateng or a top striker/ midfielder.
  • Derryboy1893
    3564 posts National Call-Up
    I always recommend building the Midfield. Most Strikers can score and there are so many great cheap defenders. For example, 83 Tah is almost as good as Boateng. Having used both, the difference is minimal. However with CMs, particularly CDMs and CAMs, you can feel a difference. A top tier CDM will defend and create for you in attack in a way only few can match, like maybe Kondogbia. If not Midfielders, get a top tier Striker.

    And Vogt is better than both tah and Boateng
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    2993 posts National Call-Up
    Always build your team around what ultimately wins you games - top notch attack. Its redundant to sink coins into icon defenders only to play with mediocre players up top.
  • sheffutd87
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    When meta forwards such as Jesus can score every game it’s not a bad idea to build from the back imo.
  • Lcfc
    2490 posts Fans' Favourite
    Stats mean nothing I had sterling tots season last year and he was hot trash dude.
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Wow.. Did you just compare a CB with 63 acceleration, 64 Staminia 48 agility and 44 balance to Boateng? Lol...

    Huh? Boateng only has 69 ACC compared to Tahs 64 Lmao what are you on about? Boateng only has 56 Agility and 52 Balance as well. Stamina is irrelevant on CBs and Boateng only has 69 anyway. Did you think Boateng was fast and agile? Lmao Tah is within 5 points or less in every key stat compared to Boateng. I’ve used both and the difference is Marginal. You put Anchor on Tah and the difference is even less noticeable.

    It’s absolutely HILARIOUS that you acted like Boateng’s +5 ACC is going to make him feel like Varane compared to Tah lmao... they feel extremely similar in game. If I didn’t have the coins to use any CB I want, I would use Tah instead. In fact, if I were to make downgrades, the first one I would make would be Tah for Boateng.

  • LovelyVillain
    3579 posts National Call-Up
    Lcfc wrote: »
    Stats mean nothing I had sterling tots season last year and he was hot trash dude.
    QuinnUK87 wrote: »
    Wow.. Did you just compare a CB with 63 acceleration, 64 Staminia 48 agility and 44 balance to Boateng? Lol...

    Huh? Boateng only has 69 ACC compared to Tahs 64 Lmao what are you on about? Boateng only has 56 Agility and 52 Balance as well. Stamina is irrelevant on CBs and Boateng only has 69 anyway. Did you think Boateng was fast and agile? Lmao Tah is within 5 points or less in every key stat compared to Boateng. I’ve used both and the difference is Marginal. You put Anchor on Tah and the difference is even less noticeable.

    It’s absolutely HILARIOUS that you acted like Boateng’s +5 ACC is going to make him feel like Varane compared to Tah lmao... they feel extremely similar in game. If I didn’t have the coins to use any CB I want, I would use Tah instead. In fact, if I were to make downgrades, the first one I would make would be Tah for Boateng.

    TOTS Sterling was outstanding for me. Was a huge part of me keeping 70% posession most games with him in my EPL hybrid. Banged them in from distance for fun. I’d start him on 4 Chem at CAM and he would do it all.

  • Joestoe
    4712 posts National Call-Up
    I started with the defence too. When you build a house, you don't start with the roof, because it'll collapse. A good defence is crucial I feel. 92 Maldini and Ramos are great for me.
  • Drizzt
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    sheffutd87 wrote: »
    When meta forwards such as Jesus can score every game it’s not a bad idea to build from the back imo.
    Joestoe wrote: »
    I started with the defence too. When you build a house, you don't start with the roof, because it'll collapse. A good defence is crucial I feel. 92 Maldini and Ramos are great for me.

    What the hell, I think you're right.

    Top Defense, good midfield and Callum Wilson upfront.

    I can feel silver 2 calling me in WL 😉.

    Cheers all for the input.
  • iggypop
    535 posts An Exciting Prospect
    A good idea to start at the back, last year I got bored of my prime Del Piero and Hernandez after a while and put them in other icon SBC's, but u don't really get bored of Rio and Desailly or Viera holding the fort!
  • Tubpac
    1649 posts Play-Off Hero
    Im not sure i agree.. Sure you can get some great icon defender. But for me Varane/Ramos is almost as good as some of the best legends. I would just make a Hybird. You say you like Van dijk. Go with Ramos or Varane and save alot of coins.
    However with the midfielders i agree. You cant get any midfielders who compares to the allroundness of Ballack,Vieria, Blanc, Gullit ETC they are unique.
  • Drizzt
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Tubpac wrote: »
    Im not sure i agree.. Sure you can get some great icon defender. But for me Varane/Ramos is almost as good as some of the best legends. I would just make a Hybird. You say you like Van dijk. Go with Ramos or Varane and save alot of coins.
    However with the midfielders i agree. You cant get any midfielders who compares to the allroundness of Ballack,Vieria, Blanc, Gullit ETC they are unique.

    I tried Ramos and wasn't as impressed as Van Dijk. Haven't tried Varane and hearing good things, but I think I'm set now in LB Maldini and playing him on 7 chem or 91 Hierro and buying maybe 85 Gatusso.

    It's all fun 😉.

    Cheers.
  • Drizzt
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited October 2018
    What keepers are the nuts btw?

    Been using Alisson all season and he's not bad.
  • alex1987
    5483 posts Big Money Move
    Drizzt wrote: »
    What keepers are the nuts btw?

    Been using Alisson all season and he's not bad.

    Neto, Neuer, CL Baumann were great for me.
    Although i decided to change to Ter Stegen now for the Umtiti hard link. Haven't tried him yet though.
  • Lcfc
    2490 posts Fans' Favourite
    Courtois is the best this year
    Drizzt wrote: »
    What keepers are the nuts btw?

    Been using Alisson all season and he's not bad.

  • Drizzt
    469 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Lcfc wrote: »
    Courtois is the best this year
    Drizzt wrote: »
    What keepers are the nuts btw?

    Been using Alisson all season and he's not bad.

    Had him all last year as I got him untradable. Didn't let me down.

    He really that good?

    De Gea was pants for me.
Sign In or Register to comment.