WL Novices (the "This could get very messy..." thread)

EricVanDerek
644 posts An Exciting Prospect
edited October 2018
Edit: This was originally intended as a personal voyage of discovery into my first ever Weekend League, but - wonderfully - others have joined me on the adventure.
So if this is your first year of WL, then come on in - the water's lovely...

Let us know how it goes - what teams you're using, any helpful hints and tips for other novices, and any other completely random information. Copying blatantly from the BBC's mission statement, this thread is here to inform, educate and entertain.

Good luck all !

The original post:

I've been playing FIFA for decades, and FUT for nearly 4 years.
This coming WL is the first one I've qualified for (woo hoo!) - the benefits of being able to qualify from playing and losing lots and lots of games.
(I tried the DKT's in the past, but could never string together enough back to back wins)

It's hugely flattering to call me completely, utterly useless.
I started Rivals in Div 6, but am "doing a Sunderland" - I'm now mid table Div 7.

I'm hopeful of fitting in about 20 games of WL.

Realistically, if I get one win it will be a flippin' miracle.

So if you find yourself playing "Grimbo", get ready for a goal-fest, and be gentle on me please...

About 20 years ago my local club side played a qualifying round of the FA cup (I can only assume due to an administrative error). We actually scored first - a 30 yard top corner stunner - but that was the last kick we had, and despite our goalie having the game of his life, we lost 16-1.
I'm expecting something very similar this weekend in every single game (except without the opening goal... )
Post edited by EricVanDerek on

Comments

• Hopefully it'll be a smooth first experience with the WL! I'd recommend taking tons of breaks. Had a friend who has a mental breakdown every WL when he starts losing xD
  • Dazzler
    1794 posts Play-Off Hero
    Mate if you couldn’t win the knockout cup last year and are now in Div 7 I fear the worst.

But good luck anyway.
  • Wz000
    171 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    GL man in the same boat myself. I assume many will be so don’t give up.
  • EricVanDerek
    Thanks for all the good wishes, even if you are thinking:
    - please let me draw him
    - the man's a raving masochist

If I win a game then the beers are on me...
  • EricVanDerek
    Well, it looks like the beers are on me...
    So far I've played 5:
    - lost 2 to much better opponents (both 3-0)
    - lost 2 close games by the odd goal, one 3-2 where they scored 2 kick off goals and a 122' min corner header (grrr...)
    - won the last 4-0. (it was the one game where the ref appeared to have actually remembered his cards)

I'm actually surprised the quality of opponents has not been better - remember I'm languishing in Div 7, and self-proclaimed useless. Obviously losing the first 4 makes it easier, but even so I was expecting to get whipped every single game.
  • Dannyarmy
    1724 posts Play-Off Hero
    Well, it looks like the beers are on me...
    So far I've played 5:
    - lost 2 to much better opponents (both 3-0)
    - lost 2 close games by the odd goal, one 3-2 where they scored 2 kick off goals and a 122' min corner header (grrr...)
    - won the last 4-0. (it was the one game where the ref appeared to have actually remembered his cards)

I'm actually surprised the quality of opponents has not been better - remember I'm languishing in Div 7, and self-proclaimed useless. Obviously losing the first 4 makes it easier, but even so I was expecting to get whipped every single game.

Do you think playing against better opposition is improving your game? Please keep us posted if you carry on playing, would be interesting to see how many wins you get :)
  • BigSharpsBWFC
    350 posts Sunday League Hero
    I’ve not played any yet but good for you. I’m a div 4 player currently so aslong as I can earn a player pick pack Silver 3 I will be happy.
  • Andyw19_88
    457 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm 5-5 its total bs I'm winning when I should lose n losing when I should win every goal is just pure junk.this game makes FIFA 18 look good.how can a company who just update a game and call it a new one every September mess it up so badly every year.pure incompetence
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    I've been playing FIFA for decades, and FUT for nearly 4 years.
    This coming WL is the first one I've qualified for (woo hoo!) - the benefits of being able to qualify from playing and losing lots and lots of games.
    (I tried the DKT's in the past, but could never string together enough back to back wins)

It's hugely flattering to call me completely, utterly useless.
    I started Rivals in Div 6, but am "doing a Sunderland" - I'm now mid table Div 7.

I'm hopeful of fitting in about 20 games of WL.

Realistically, if I get one win it will be a flippin' miracle.

So if you find yourself playing "Grimbo", get ready for a goal-fest, and be gentle on me please...

About 20 years ago my local club side played a qualifying round of the FA cup (I can only assume due to an administrative error). We actually scored first - a 30 yard top corner stunner - but that was the last kick we had, and despite our goalie having the game of his life, we lost 16-1.
    I'm expecting something very similar this weekend in every single game (except without the opening goal... )

Quality story. Keep us updated on the progress
  • bigpokey24
    4777 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2018
    Rivals is the best thing that happened to the WL..you play rivals casually, and you get into the WL... with the new match making I am sure I can win half of my games using a 77 rated team playing the WL..so right now I sold my Serie A squad using a Nigerian Squad after going 1 and 4 with a 84 rated team..yes my ranking went down, but I have won 3 straight with a very poor team..this is the first time I have played the WL with no stress

Rivals are a lot more difficult compared to the WL...win lose it's all fun.. I have 150 wins in rivals..that mode is the most sweaty mode this fifA
  • EricVanDerek
    Thanks for all your comments and encouragement. Apologies for the long report, but if nothing else its good to get it off my chest... ;-)

I've played 17 games so far, and my 6 wins are far more than I originally expected.

Only in three games (all in my first 7 played) was I out-played - overall the standard isn't as strong as I expected. (yes, I know I'm now playing against others with poor records). I don't think the other 14 games were any harder than what I've faced in Div 7 the last week.

I normally use an 86 rated team, and have been surprised that only once have I faced a better rated team (a German league team with Neuer, Lewa etc). The vast majority have been Premier League, with very fast forwards & midfielders (always a joy seeing Jesus in CM behind Auba, Ashford, Willian...).

I play 4-4-1-1 - a mix of Spanish and Italian league.
    I've been very happy with my front 5 (Perisic, Cuadrado, Hamsik, Immobile, Mertens) - the reason they're not scoring enough goals is purely down to "user error", but the first do provide great defensive cover.
    Casemiro has been ok, but since I don't use AI defence, I guess I'm not seeing the best of him.
    But my back 4 (Philipe Luis, Godin, Pique & Carvajal), as fantastic as they are, just aren't quick enough.
    Oblak has been incredible for me.

I've not been surprised that every team has used extreme AI pressure, and some of the challenges were better seen in an MMA octagan.
    Only when I had Matthew Mzizi as ref did I see anything more than one card - in that case there were 4 yellows in the first half. I'm tempted to ask if he can ref all my matches...

I've got very frustrated with kick off and last minute goals, and particularly with how shocking challenges are rarely penalised. But overall I've really enjoyed the gameplay - I've only had a couple of minor laggy moments, which helps.

Good luck everyone
  • Derryboy1893
    3430 posts National Call-Up
    Nice one. I felt the same first time I qualified. I played the whole 40 and only got 8 wins but as I kept on playing I found myself getting better from playing that mode. I'm now a consistent gold 3/2 player winning +/- 50% of games every week. Good luck with the rest of the games.
  • IxToMxI
    5281 posts Big Money Move
    bigpokey24 wrote: »
    Rivals is the best thing that happened to the WL..you play rivals casually, and you get into the WL... with the new match making I am sure I can win half of my games using a 77 rated team playing the WL..so right now I sold my Serie A squad using a Nigerian Squad after going 1 and 4 with a 84 rated team..yes my ranking went down, but I have won 3 straight with a very poor team..this is the first time I have played the WL with no stress

Rivals are a lot more difficult compared to the WL...win lose it's all fun.. I have 150 wins in rivals..that mode is the most sweaty mode this fifA

@bigpokey24 they are very different interestinfnyou are feeling that I think you can play divison rivals casually weekend league you feel the competition
  • bucs0576
    2218 posts Fans' Favourite

Does it make you feel good to tell everyone you're good every post you make?

• Shehraj
    5729 posts Big Money Move

no one quite asked you this, and it doesnt really relate to the topic of this discussion now does it? go attempt to brag somewhere else
  • Shehraj
    5729 posts Big Money Move
    Thanks for all your comments and encouragement. Apologies for the long report, but if nothing else its good to get it off my chest... ;-)

I've played 17 games so far, and my 6 wins are far more than I originally expected.

Only in three games (all in my first 7 played) was I out-played - overall the standard isn't as strong as I expected. (yes, I know I'm now playing against others with poor records). I don't think the other 14 games were any harder than what I've faced in Div 7 the last week.

I normally use an 86 rated team, and have been surprised that only once have I faced a better rated team (a German league team with Neuer, Lewa etc). The vast majority have been Premier League, with very fast forwards & midfielders (always a joy seeing Jesus in CM behind Auba, Ashford, Willian...).

I've been very happy with my front 5 (Perisic, Cuadrado, Hamsik, Immobile, Mertens) - the reason they're not scoring enough goals is purely down to "user error", but the first do provide great defensive cover.
    Casemiro has been ok, but since I don't use AI defence, I guess I'm not seeing the best of him.
    But my back 4 (Philipe Luis, Godin, Pique & Carvajal), as fantastic as they are, just aren't quick enough.

I've not been surprised that every team has used extreme AI pressure, and some of the challenges were better seen in an MMA octagan.
    Only when I had Matthew Mzizi as ref did I see anything more than one card - in that case there were 4 yellows in the first half. I'm tempted to ask if he can ref all my matches...

I've got very frustrated with kick off and last minute goals, and particularly with how shocking challenges are rarely penalised. But overall I've really enjoyed the gameplay - I've only had a couple of minor laggy moments, which helps.

Good luck everyone

Regardless of if you are playing bad opponents or not, 6 wins/17 on your first ever weekend league while you are in division 7 is no small achievement. Keep at it and you got a real shot at getting to 11 wins and autoqualify for the next one!
    Good luck mate
  • Chavez76
    2198 posts Fans' Favourite

Good luck everyone

go go go!
    I feel kinda the same, although admitting I am currently in Div 5 so I must be not that bad @ this game. I played a lot of WL in '17, almost none in '18 and this weekend is my first WL for '19.
    Expected to be shafted by all superteams (mine is just a 184), I am kind of pleasently surprised that most teams I currently am facing are about the same or a bit (maybe 1 to 4 points) better then mine.
    Played more games then I actually planned for yesterday, ended up on 7-7 with some losses that were not justified, and some wins that were not either.

All in all, I am pretty happy how it is going. Since lost my first 4 games (!), I probably ended up against the worse opponents so that might have had something to do with it as well.
    Does goes to show you that there apperently is some kind of matchmaking system that is benificial for not all meta plyers :)
  • EricVanDerek
    Thanks again for the encouragement.

I've just had a "dear diary" moment - my first disconnection. ;-)
    I was 2-0 up inside 20 minutes, and I was playing as well as I've ever done (slightly helped by the fact that he was utterly crap - and that's something coming from the Div 7 player I am).
    There is something excessively satisfying knowing you've pushed another player to that point.

Problem now is that I've hit Silver 2 with 8 games left. I was going to stop WL at 20 games, but now the chance of a player pick that's not limited to an 84 rating is very tempting...
  • Ishibum
    11803 posts Has That Special Something

I was 2-0 up inside 20 minutes, and I was playing as well as I've ever done (slightly helped by the fact that he was utterly crap - and that's something coming from the Div 7 player I am).
    There is something excessively satisfying knowing you've pushed another player to that point.

Problem now is that I've hit Silver 2 with 8 games left. I was going to stop WL at 20 games, but now the chance of a player pick that's not limited to an 84 rating is very tempting...

Would be rude not to go for it.
  • Oscaaaar
    1227 posts Professional
    edited October 2018

3 more wins and you are qualified next week as well. Go for it!
  • EricVanDerek
    Well - thanks for ruining my Sunday guys...
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite

Aha will only be ruined if you don't get those 3W's
  • keep going! you are doing great!
  • bigpokey24
    4777 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2018
    Shehraj wrote: »

no one quite asked you this, and it doesnt really relate to the topic of this discussion now does it? go attempt to brag somewhere else

Awww someone got their feelings touched..it's ok. You will get some attention 😎 currently just hit 172 wins
  • LiamSully
    5859 posts Big Money Move

Keep going m8, you can do it, just don’t play tired, worst thing you can do
    Threads been a good read, am looking forward to the next update
  • Spillaren
    1662 posts Play-Off Hero
    u got it man go go go
  • azza452
    809 posts Semi-Pro
    Also you might as well finish all 30 games, as each one gives 400 rivals points (12000 on total) which almost guarantees rank2 or 1 rivals rewards
  • EricVanDerek
    I know everyone's been waiting with breath-abated to discover how my first ever WL ended up...
    But first, thanks for all your support and encouragement. I couldn't have done it without you.
    No, seriously-- (breaks down in tears, pause to pull myself back together...)

I ended on 8-15.

Yes, I could have gone for those three more wins from the final 7 games, but life took over on Sunday (I know - no commitment, eh?...). But it's 8 more wins than I was expecting, and it gives me something to work towards in future WLs.

Things I'll try and remember for next time (hopefully this will help other crap improving players out there):

- don't worry about a poor start (I was 1-6); it will mean you'll be matched with other crap improving players.
    - teams aren't as chock-full of Icons etc as I'd expected (at least at the weaker end of match-making) - I didn't come across one, and only a couple of squads were better than my 86-rated (interestingly both German league).
    - but be prepared for high pressure and refs who - at least currently - don't seem to mind you being assaulted from behind . I spent the first half of the WL complaining to the TV that the ref was flippin' blind - strangely it didn't make the slightest bit of difference. Get over it, develop strategies to cope with it.
    - And everyone has very pacey forwards / wingers. So be prepared. Unfortunately my Pique just wasn't quick enough to cope with a continual bombardment of through balls, so post WL I swapped him for Thiago, and have noticed a big improvement already.
    - you will improve. Initially I wasn't sure, but over the course of the 20 games I realised the crapness was definitely on the decline... In particular, I'm more patient with the ball, more clinical in front of goal, and better at defending (which I do manually, in case you hadn't realised by now ;-).
    - you'll suffer kick-off goals, ridiculous bicycle kicks from everyone, bad bounces, 90th minute goals, etc etc. Get over it - EA (at least currently) seem more interested in an "exciting" game than a game that is "fair", so you'll just have to live with it.
    - Above all, remember it's just a game, and there are other, far more important things in life. But - whilst it's far from perfect, and I know it's not a universally-shared opinion, this FIFA is bloody good fun !
  • Derryboy1893
    3430 posts National Call-Up
    Nice one