Possession. Is this even a thing anymore?

Raydio
1 posts Ball Boy
I actually took a break from gaming for awhile. So when Fifa 18 came out I opted out and lived life.

So ive been a FIFA fan since I was a young teen, Always loved possession play style and tika-taka... But something feels REALLY off about 19.

It either feels like passing is RNG on power, It will either sky rocket to the player in perfect form.. Or slowly drizzle out about half way.

And why does the ball feel like it weighs 20 pounds sometimes?
I want to adapt.. I want to learn.. But.. am I missing something?

Comments

• protzbischof
    3389 posts National Call-Up
    Nope its not. High pressure is the meta and its the most anti fun meta ever. Just wait until the pros play WL and show their tactics. As usual, all of the meta abuser will copy and follow like sheep. And they even removed Daily knockouts which was the only gamemode that was not full tryhard and full of meta abusers. Sad state of the game. Show some love for actual casual gamers.
  • Shame, I guess that kind of explains why all I see are counter attack through balls, rinse and repeat
  • china2991
    114 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    A number of factors that don't allow for a possession game ( Since FIFA16 )

1. Mega assisted passing/blind passing
    2. Manually pressing and tackling was much better
    3. AI defending was not so OP around the box, You could play around people that left the AI to defend for them with ease.
    4. Holding the ball up was much better.
    5. There was need for a midfield.

• Man0nf1r3
    107 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Im confused here because I only play possesion based football (tika taka) and its actually perfect... the only thing that has changed is the fact now the defenders read passes so you have to take your time with the passing, pressing X and just pointing in any direction will see your passes intercepted

With this in mind Sergio Busquets is actually my favorite player to use this year, that in itself for me shows me that the style of the game is changing for the better as players who are neither strong or fast can still actually be very effective
  • china2991
    114 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    post a video of your end of game possession stats if possible, I am interested.
  • AndrewPandrew
    34 posts Park Captain
    Man0nf1r3 wrote: »
    Im confused here because I only play possesion based football (tika taka) and its actually perfect... the only thing that has changed is the fact now the defenders read passes so you have to take your time with the passing, pressing X and just pointing in any direction will see your passes intercepted

With this in mind Sergio Busquets is actually my favorite player to use this year, that in itself for me shows me that the style of the game is changing for the better as players who are neither strong or fast can still actually be very effective

Playing contain while waiting for openings doesn’t count as tika taka 👍
  • FifaGod97
    249 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2018
    No such thing as possession in this game if you try pass going forward you will lose the ball in 5 seconds as players just control 1 player , holding contain & 2nd press so the Ai will just auto tackle or get an auto intercept.

EA said this year you can create your own personal tactics to suit your play style. Which is a lie because by doing that it doesnt work. As everyone has the same tactic Ultra defensive, Drop back & narrow.. with 9 man in defence.

I'm on balance or attack which all my attacks/midfield are in the opposition's half soon as you get auto tackled or ball gets auto intercepted there's no one in Midfield the opponent can just do 1 through ball or over the top as all their players sprinted forward into the gaps.

Tedious game as everyone plays the same way & no variation in the game just same thing over and over
    Post edited by FifaGod97 on
  • Knowlesdinho
    15133 posts World Class
    64% possession in most of my games, and I end up drawing to lobbed through balls to Rashford, followed by a cross to Jesus, followed by a overhead kick.

Variety, the spice of Fifa.
  • DannyUK
    411 posts Sunday League Hero
    The death of Fifa this year, never expected it to be so bad. I may as well have flushed £50 down the toilet, if I could get a refund I'd do it right now.
  • Wi1son73
    3967 posts National Call-Up
    You get the digital copy mate? I’ve fell for that twice, this year I bought the disk at Game! If you traded games in you get 750 FP..
  • Benja190782
    1948 posts Fans' Favourite
    Man0nf1r3 wrote: »

Spot on!
  • Benja190782
    You're not even controlling the team anymore, the AI is doing all the defending, it's not how it supposed to be. The game this year is ridiculous, surely EA have to take notice of the majority of their fan base. There is a small number of people shouting for EA to keep the game as it is, it's crazy, they are in the minority.

You can’t create another account to make EA believe there is actually even more people who dislike the game.

Infact the only people who are in the minority is the ping pong passers, but boy they are loud.
    Even louder than I was for a hole Season on FIFA 18 screaming about making FIFA a true football simulation instead of a ping pong fest.

You would be surprised how the majority actually loves this game and are busy playing right now.

The ping pong passers and pace abusers will NEVER win!
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    No, passes are terrible, and players with 85+ ball control can't even get it out of their feet properly. Every match is just a cluster of loose balls and players bumping into each other.
  • Toronto1982
    193 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited October 2018
    Orikoru wrote: »
    No, passes are terrible, and players with 85+ ball control can't even get it out of their feet properly. Every match is just a cluster of loose balls and players bumping into each other.

for what's it worth i think this is the best fifa yet in terms of gameplay.
    You have to use creativity and react quickly to loose balls to score
  • Benja190782
    edited October 2018

@Orikoru
    It’s because you play the game like it was FIFA 18 just spamming those buttons. Pass pass pass pass pass, shoot shoot shoot shoot....

It doesn’t work mate. We have a football game now. You have to be calm and think before you pass and shoot.

I have no way near the amount of lose balls people claim. Why? Because I’m not frantic when I build up play. Simple.
  • MJHD91
    71 posts Park Captain
    I think the fact that pace doesn't matter is quite annoying and unrealistic but other than that I have no complaints and probably the best fifa for a few years.
  • delpieroalex
    527 posts An Exciting Prospect

ehh no...u have to think ahead..find space using simple skill move and plan your passes.
  • Nardino
    22 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Best FIFA is years, but AL defending is too good and allows crappy players compete, which is annoying. Also pace is muted, which is good, but it does need a slight correction of approximately 10-15%.
  • Man0nf1r3
    107 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited October 2018
    Playing contain while waiting for openings doesn’t count as tika taka 👍

Thats not how I play but thank you for your message 👍

ehh no...u have to think ahead..find space using simple skill move and plan your passes.

This 100% its called taking time to build up

@Orikoru
    It’s because you play the game like it was FIFA 18 just spamming those buttons. Pass pass pass pass pass, shoot shoot shoot shoot....

It doesn’t work mate. We have a football game now. You have to be calm and think before you pass and shoot.

I have no way near the amount of lose balls people claim. Why? Because I’m not frantic when I build up play. Simple.

Couldnt of said it better, its like people cannot understand you have to have a plan, its not just who can press pass the quickest, if you pass forward when there is a defender infront of you guess what... the defender will get the ball

Also on the whole AI defend for you its a difficult one as in previous Fifas you can be defending well only for he AI defender to act uninterested in tracking runners! This is also annoying, its not possible to control 10 players at once so there has to be some AI assistance to an extent, maybe the issue people have is the balance but expecting the AI to do nothing would become very annoying very quickly... just my opinion
  • Benja190782
    ^^
    Exactly and that’s the hole point of a football team. Last year the AI just acted like zombies. They did nothing even if the ball was right infront of them.

Now the team work like a team when they defend and attack.
  • Korthan
    2532 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2018

for what's it worth i think this is the best fifa yet in terms of gameplay.
    You have to use creativity and react quickly to loose balls to score

But defender reaction is 3x the attacker reaction. Can't go past them, can't turn them (unless backwards) and can't pull away from them even after a well-timed through pass. And apparently no pro player can gather and control the ball while running - last years it sometimes bounced off your shins 5 yeards if you were running fast, not it bounces off your player shins or chest 10 yards if you are running or occasionally not.
  • Tooner9
    413 posts Sunday League Hero
    You're not even controlling the team anymore, the AI is doing all the defending, it's not how it supposed to be. The game this year is ridiculous, surely EA have to take notice of the majority of their fan base. There is a small number of people shouting for EA to keep the game as it is, it's crazy, they are in the minority.

You can’t create another account to make EA believe there is actually even more people who dislike the game.

Infact the only people who are in the minority is the ping pong passers, but boy they are loud.
    Even louder than I was for a hole Season on FIFA 18 screaming about making FIFA a true football simulation instead of a ping pong fest.

You would be surprised how the majority actually loves this game and are busy playing right now.

The ping pong passers and pace abusers will NEVER win!

Well said and totally agree, yes there's a few flaws like in any game but at least you can't blind pass and ping pong pass, sure the AI defenders abit to much for ppl but u can still fool then with a trick or pass round then, if u use the trainer for a game or 2 and see where u actually passing instead of thinking where u passing you'll see that your angles are wrong and pass to close to opposition and when u get it right turn it off, also if u play a squad battle even on single player on a higher level the game is totally different with better players as it is in the real world, just think ppl should get better players in packs so more can get the team they like and not spend a fortune in doing so but EA are guilty of being money grabbers, if u have a poorer team and play against a decent 1 the difference in most cases is huge and you'll be sure the games broken
  • Orikoru

@Orikoru

Sorry, when did we play each other at Fifa? I don't recall that.

No I don't play it like that. By the time you've picked a pass you're flattened by a defender because he can't get it out of his feet in time. Every game feels like Sunday League.
  • Benja190782
    edited October 2018

@Orikoru

No I don't play it like that. By the time you've picked a pass you're flattened by a defender because he can't get it out of his feet in time. Every game feels like Sunday League.

@Orikoru
    Two things that can help you with that. First touch control on the right stick or close control on LB/L1 button. Simple.

The only reason why you feel it’s like sunday League is because you play constant pressure which is making your players tired like never before.
  • Orikoru

@Orikoru

@Orikoru
    Two things that can help you with that. First touch control on the right stick or close control on LB/L1 button. Simple.

The only reason why you feel it’s like sunday League is because you play constant pressure which is making your players tired like never before.

Why do you keep trying to guess how I play Fifa? Are you Mystic Meg? I haven't put it on constant pressure, I have it set to press on heavy touch I think. Looks like your crystal ball let you down again.
  • Makani
    7 posts Ball Boy
    Nope its not. High pressure is the meta and its the most anti fun meta ever. Just wait until the pros play WL and show their tactics. As usual, all of the meta abuser will copy and follow like sheep. And they even removed Daily knockouts which was the only gamemode that was not full tryhard and full of meta abusers. Sad state of the game. Show some love for actual casual gamers.

Then go play career mode?
  • Nikaznakznokaz
    84 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    china2991 wrote: »

I usually have 65 to 70% possession but the problem is if you are camped just outside the opposition's box and you lose the ball..........your in a world of hurt. I usually have all the ball all the territory but lose to fast counter play.
  • Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    china2991 wrote: »
    I usually have 65 to 70% possession but the problem is if you are camped just outside the opposition's box and you lose the ball..........your in a world of hurt. I usually have all the ball all the territory but lose to fast counter play.
    This tbh. I've found that setting my full backs to stay back while attacking helps a little in this regard, but at the end of the day, it's pretty easy to play balls in behind via the flanks, so you're always at risk of being countered. A few tidbits from my most recent game (72% possession at half time):

4xTcOuU.jpg

• FakeZura
    58 posts Park Captain
    edited October 2018
    pace abusers will NEVER win!

Hah, that's why i see a f***ing Vardy/Sane/Rashford/Matrial and every other sweaty PL player.
  • FakeZura
    58 posts Park Captain

pace abusers will NEVER win!

that's why I see Vardy/Rashford/Martial/jesus/Sane and every sweaty PL player.

IN EVERY F***ING GAME