Worst FIFA game to ever exist.

Right I'm not gonna write a full review like I did for the last game. Ceebz with that. I'm just gonna highlight why this game is just embarrassingly bad in my opinion, especially in comparison to other games that have been released recently.

Menu lag - Yep, this again. The menus still lag... how EA manage to get the game to do this year to year is beyond me but points for consistency I guess.

AI buffing - Harder the difficulty, the more the AI players stats get buffed. It's been like it for years. EA clearly have a problem with making the game actually difficult.

Passing - Just completely inconsistent. One the game every pass you play is marginally average. The next game every pass is off target and travels at a snail's pace. Prefect for those 90+ pace forwards to latch onto for an easy goal. One or the other EA, would make things easier to gauge game to game.

Ball control - I'd love to know what football matches EA watch to do their field research but watching "professional footballers" knock the ball 3-4 yards away from themselves on basically any touch they take (That or just straight missing the ball completely) is just a joke really.

Shooting/Timed finishing - The shooting is just bad, never have I watched a football match and seen a striker take 3+ seconds to swing his boot back to shoot. It's just embarrassing, unless you have 10+ yards of space you won't get a shot away. Timed finishing doesn't help either. If you're going to introduce a feature like this to the game. Some indication of how it works without having to practise it in skill games would be nice.

No communication - Hard to describe this one. You know when you watch a football game and can hear players talking to each other? You know like: "man on" so the player receiving a pass knows there is an opposing player coming towards him. Yeah that doesn't exist. The players on this game are just dumb, so, so, so dumb...

Ball watching - I absolutely love this one. Please though, go into instant replay when someone has had a player run through your defence completely unchallenged. You'll see the horror of all your defensive line eagle eyeing the ball like a fat kid eyes up the last slice of pizza. No-one watches opposing players runs and actively tries to cut these passing lanes. Not asking for perfection here, just for defenders to try and have a bit of intelligence.

Custom tactics - So instead of allowing people to discover a play style that works for them and adjust how their team plays accordingly. Now we have several presets that people can abuse instead. Fantastic choice again EA, pander to the lowest common denominator of people who like to just abuse pace...

Ball physics - Seems EA still can't find that decent balance here, despite it being one of their biggest selling points. The ball physics are terrible, in no situation would a ball being hammered "upwards" at a defender then fall back to the feet of the attacker. Nor would a keeper parrying the ball fall from a tight angle shot fall back to the centre of the box 10/10 times, sometimes it would be tipped around the post... like in real life football...

Commentators - Same commentary 3 games running, EA are not willing to spend any money changing that aesthetic touch I guess.

Overall this game is trash. And before all the people that are about to tell me to: "Not play it then" I'm not thanks. And to the people that are going to discredit my opinion because: "I'm just bad at the game, I need to learn how to play it" I'm too old and don't have enough free time to dedicate playing this game for anymore than a few hours a week. Simplicity is what made previous instalments appealing in the first place. Have fun to anyone giving this game more time than it deserves and enjoying buying your new controllers. Peace.

Comments

• Rulistening
    1953 posts Play-Off Hero
    its in a bad state right now. but the last thing i want to happen is fifa 17 v3. they had the right ideas, just the wrong execution, buff pace a little. nerf crosses (headers and bicy's) and increase passing a little bit, and then remove AI defending and the game would actually be decent

but right now i do have to agree. its abysmal, its unacceptable for 30 pace players to catch 80-90 pace players in full stride. Pace stat is irrelevant right now, and whilst it needed nerfing from previous years, this is an extreme joke.
  • its in a bad state right now. but the last thing i want to happen is fifa 17 v3. they had the right ideas, just the wrong execution, buff pace a little. nerf crosses (headers and bicy's) and increase passing a little bit, and then remove AI defending and the game would actually be decent

but right now i do have to agree. its abysmal, its unacceptable for 30 pace players to catch 80-90 pace players in full stride. Pace stat is irrelevant right now, and whilst it needed nerfing from previous years, this is an extreme joke.

Never know, could produce an update that makes it a viable game to play. Would be nice as I do enjoy playing FIFA with friends.
  • Marleigh
    2270 posts Fans' Favourite
    AtDxMoonE wrote: »

Custom tactics - So instead of allowing people to discover a play style that works for them and adjust how their team plays accordingly. Now we have several presets that people can abuse instead. Fantastic choice again EA, pander to the lowest common denominator of people who like to just abuse pace...

you do realize that custom tactics are fully customisable ? you can change all of the tactics setting, the formation , which position each player is in etc. Custom tactics are great but you clearly have no idea how to use them

• Marleigh wrote: »

you do realize that custom tactics are fully customisable ? you can change all of the tactics setting, the formation , which position each player is in etc. Custom tactics are great but you clearly have no idea how to use them

Yep. I have no idea how to use them. That's gotta be it. Good job FIFA master, you've enlightened me!
  • AtDxMoonE wrote: »
    Marleigh wrote: »

Yep. I have no idea how to use them. That's gotta be it. Good job FIFA master, you've enlightened me!

I dont think that will change your opinion, But if you dont understand them dont complain about it.
  • Marleigh
    2270 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited October 2018

Luckily i wrote a quick guide to how to abuse chemistry with custom tactics, and it shows the basic principles of setting your custom tactics up so you no longer have to get passive aggressively defensive about your lack of knowledge

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/411233/mini-guide-to-setting-up-dynamic-tactics#latest
  • Disciple_2018
    39 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited October 2018
    I haven’t bought the game yet, and am seriously thinking of giving it a miss. I bought each title between Fifa 9 and 18. Too many stressful moments in the game online when you know you dominate a game and then get ripped off.
  • I SiR MartY I
    5851 posts Big Money Move
    its in a bad state right now. but the last thing i want to happen is fifa 17 v3. they had the right ideas, just the wrong execution, buff pace a little. nerf crosses (headers and bicy's) and increase passing a little bit, and then remove AI defending and the game would actually be decent

100% agree with this. I don't want Mbappe to be the most OP player on the game and I certainly don't want pace to return to how it used to be, I enjoy using slower/stronger defenders but if I drag a defender out of position to press me and play the ball into the space he's left, I should not be punished by having the game slow me down so the defender that ran out of position can turn, catch me up and throw me to the ground.

Headers, interceptions by the AI, volleys and overhead kicks all need toned down and regular shooting needs a buff too, its crazy that 30 yard overhead kicks are far more consistent than a regular 1v1 shot.

Game needs lots of tweaks, its awful in its current state, but it can be good if they sort the issues out early.
  • tommygravesen
    193 posts Sunday League Hero
    its too stressful at the moment how many times I’m saying to myself what the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ was that? Even when I’m winning games the stuff that happens is beyond me

But saying all that someone at EA has played the game before release and said yeah that’s good to go wtf
  • nebula_18
    20 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Love different opinions, for me it is a great fifa.. Of course, it needs little tweaks, but i am really enjoying the little time that i have to play.

For the first time i enjoy the balance / contrast between play a direct / agressive and the paused one. Players with slow pace shines with more consistent stats, EA is riching the catalog with more usable cards.

Late years people was using the same cards over and over again, with pace as the only common factor.

My only gripe it is shots, easy and unrealistic. I hope that they can revise those errors chosing the right fix but caring with dont lose the original idea.
  • Marleigh wrote: »

Luckily i wrote a quick guide to how to abuse chemistry with custom tactics, and it shows the basic principles of setting your custom tactics up so you no longer have to get passive aggressively defensive about your lack of knowledge

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/411233/mini-guide-to-setting-up-dynamic-tactics#latest

Thanks for proving my point I guess.
  • joehuk
    4291 posts National Call-Up
    Pace matters just not as much as past fifa which is a breath of fresh of air, but it's all about the first touch I can get away with slow,pace players with my pace players.

The game has issues but I'm finding it far more refreshing than 100mph ping pong fifa 18
  • Mystery38
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The base of this version comes from the year 2000 i think :) like shooting, bicycle kicks and the rest
  • Mdionne415
    1146 posts Professional
    best in years!