The Weekend League Thread *Eddie the 🐐

Comments

• WFCBagnall
    70463 posts Moderator
    @BRISTOL86 So say if Mbappe gets in Totw, then he'd be available to get as a red reward.

He's one I made earlier.

Screenshot_20180919-095345_Samsung_Internet.jpg
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    Cheers Baggers. Can’t wait to pack that 63 rated Accrington player!
  • WFCBagnall
    70463 posts Moderator
    BRISTOL86 wrote: »
    Cheers Baggers. Can’t wait to pack that 63 rated Accrington player!

It'll be rating capped
  • jenksiee123
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Definitely getting more involved in this now with those changes. Great stuff.
  • Adamski
    9948 posts League Winner
    30 games thank the lord
  • M98H
    12929 posts Has That Special Something
    Adamski wrote: »
    30 games thank the lord

Will be a breeze compared to 40 @Adamski :lol:
  • Currieman
    4953 posts National Call-Up
    So many good changes here. I'm actually happy with EA for once. 30 games is fantastic. Yes the matchmaking is still probably gonna be broken (Like @SupaNoodle1990 I've matched a few T100 players before having never even reached Elite) but 30 games is so much better than 40. Less burnout for everyone.

Weekly player picks is great as well. No longer matters if you miss a week.

Only downside may be that the 5 players you get to pick from could all be shocking but hopefully EA will actually put some sort of minimum rating for each tier.

Really positive news.
  • Primal
    4546 posts National Call-Up
    I like how they've explained form in relation to matchmaking but I still don't fully get it. seems abit simplistic and not what i experienced lasr year. not bragging (plenty on this forum better than me)but I used to get to 29 wins with anywhere from 0-2 losses and then they got really hard . if it's the same then it should be comfortable getting elite 1. My last 10 I'd get matched constantly against pros / top 100s and quality players.

The top 100 will be full of 30-0 so perhaps they will add something extra in relation to qualifying for events as it would only be separated by skillpoints which is something ea share little about.

buzzing at only having to play 30 though.
  • Finesse_4days
    7231 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 2018
    30 games and weekly informs just for finishing gold sounds great, Ea needed to change weekend league as it was getting aa bit stale and finally they have listened to the community.
  • Maverick
    4878 posts National Call-Up
    Orison wrote: »
    Maverick wrote: »
    And isn't the matchmaking system essentially ELO ranked matchmaking?

No

How do you figure? Unless they straight up lied to us, their matchmaking process is based off of form which is a rating system. Matching players with other similarly skilled players. I know you had difficulty grasping that concept at first thinking someone who loses after going 20-0 would be on 0 form (which lol), but what they're doing is definitely ELO based matchmaking. As for your example of the odd couple of games having weird matches, like you said, maybe their algorithm changes if they can't find an opponent close enough that's searching at the same time so that's why you may end up facing a guy who's 18-15 if you're 30-3. But that's an exception, not the standard.
  • Moiizer
    6761 posts Big Money Move
    Well played Ea, Well played

ed84b420b1d77ff35decd72c7189b107.gif
  • xciljw
    5022 posts Big Money Move
    edited September 2018

No

How do you figure? Unless they straight up lied to us, their matchmaking process is based off of form which is a rating system. Matching players with other similarly skilled players. I know you had difficulty grasping that concept at first thinking someone who loses after going 20-0 would be on 0 form (which lol), but what they're doing is definitely ELO based matchmaking. As for your example of the odd couple of games having weird matches, like you said, maybe their algorithm changes if they can't find an opponent close enough that's searching at the same time so that's why you may end up facing a guy who's 18-15 if you're 30-3. But that's an exception, not the standard.

Matchmaking already was like that last year. They just explained how it works, not that it has changed. Pitch notes are supposed to give us an insight in how things work that have never been explained. Not just to announce new stuff.
  • Maverick
    xciljw wrote: »

No

Matchmaking already was like that last year. They just explained how it works, not that it has changed. Pitch notes are supposed to give us an insight in how things work that have never been explained. Not just to announce new stuff.

I know. I wasn't saying anything changed
  • xciljw
    I think the form is only about a form of 5 games, because it takes you 5 games to get ranked. So if you win your last 5, you play someone that won their last 5. But if it makes you go 25-0, you could basically play someone who is 5-20. So that might be why matchmaking might seem a little off in previous years? It's all just guessing though.
  • Skittles67
    563 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I think the form is only about a form of 5 games, because it takes you 5 games to get ranked. So if you win your last 5, you play someone that won their last 5. But if it makes you go 25-0, you could basically play someone who is 5-20. So that might be why matchmaking might seem a little off in previous years? It's all just guessing though.

Nah an ea guy said it’s overall
  • Moiizer
    6761 posts Big Money Move
    I have a theory with regards to the form thing. I dont believe when you rage quit / press the xbox button that it counts as a loss. I may be wrong but i remember last year going on mad losing streaks yet still playing great players. Just a theory anyways.
  • xciljw
    Skittles67 wrote: »

Ah, in that case it does not make sense how 39-0 can get matched with 23-16. :#
  • Orison
    48698 posts FIFA Cover Star

No

ELO refers to a system that is a bit more complex than "form".

Therefore it's not an Elo based matchmaking system. Form is like Elo's little, slightly challenged brother.
  • Skittles67
    Moiizer wrote: »
    I have a theory with regards to the form thing. I dont believe when you rage quit / press the xbox button that it counts as a loss. I may be wrong but i remember last year going on mad losing streaks yet still playing great players. Just a theory anyways.

Yeah I agree, when I just needed one more win to get a rank I would just quit right at the start until I found an easy team but it just would keep giving me insane teams
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17240 posts World Class

You got the tweet?
  • Maverick

No

ELO refers to a system that is a bit more complex than "form".

Therefore it's not an Elo based matchmaking system. Form is like Elo's little, slightly challenged brother.

Lmao the last comment. I heard rumors you were switching to PS. Say it ain't so babe
  • Skittles67

You got the tweet?

• B16Lad
    522 posts An Exciting Prospect

It accumulates across all matches according to one of the EA guys reply to Nep
    “Your form is a constant stream of your results. So, for example, if you were to start the WL by going W/L/L/L/L/W/W/W/W/L/L/W you would be going 0/-1/-2/-3/-4/-3/-2/-1/0/-1/-2/-1”
  • SocratesMe
    118 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Have EA confirmed that it's the same as last year? Or are people just saying it's the same?
  • Maverick

Ah, in that case it does not make sense how 39-0 can get matched with 23-16. :#

The only thing I can think of is it being a flaw within their process. EA stated the second rule is to match based on location. So if you're 30-4 and you can't find someone that's +26 or adjacent, EA will match you based on location. Now we would probably think it would match us with someone still close to our form (as it should), but maybe it doesn't take that into consideration when going for location?
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    But does that constant count reset every WL? If not then it’s not really anything like ‘form’ in the traditional sense.
  • Skittles67
    BRISTOL86 wrote: »
    But does that constant count reset every WL? If not then it’s not really anything like ‘form’ in the traditional sense.

Yeah it resets
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17240 posts World Class

You got the tweet?

Cheers.
  • JHiL
    905 posts Semi-Pro
    Top 10 get 5 player picks. Does this mean they pick one from 5 players 5 times or do they receive 5 players and they receive them all?
  • Primal
    4546 posts National Call-Up
    the most important factor must be location as the way they describe it rarely happens in the game. I remember being 37-1 and getting matched with someone on 15-20 haha