The one card you didn't expect much from...

Davey Sprockett
4366 posts National Call-Up
... And has become a superstar for your team?

For me, Luis Alberto, I'd had the TOTS twice before, at both cf and cam and he was absolutely useless.

Then I decided to build a Serie A team, and plumped for Mertens at striker, hopefully being able to get Higuain or Immobile as his partner.

Anyway I couldn't afford either, and played for a while with sbc Eder, who was rubbish, so the only other option was to give Luis Alberto another try, this time at striker.

30 games later, and 35 goals, 19 assists, and I couldn't possibly want more from my striker, possibly one of the best I've used this year, best 24k I've spent recently.

So who have you used only out of necessity, for coin or chemistry purposes that has gone on to wow you?

Comments

• Scutch
    15005 posts World Class
    SIF Ake.

Sold now but he was a brilliant deputy for well over 300 games. Mini Gullit.
  • SupaNoodle1990
    28956 posts Player of the Year
    TOTS Mariano is surprisingly good.
  • Pugzilla
    17329 posts World Class
    TOTS Sergio Ramos. Always hated his H/M work rates so I was always hesitant to use him but I was missing out. So fast, covers so much ground, the perfect user CB.
  • Betrus
    1190 posts Professional
    TOTS Quaq. Insane shots.
  • vneklw
    2391 posts Fans' Favourite
    FOF Villa. I mean I was hoping he’d be good but tbh I expected him to be another mediocre throwback card, but damn is he good. One of the best strikers I’ve used this year along with the likes of prime R9 and TOTS Agüero.
  • Davey Sprockett
    vneklw wrote: »
    FOF Villa. I mean I was hoping he’d be good but tbh I expected him to be another mediocre throwback card, but damn is he good. One of the best strikers I’ve used this year along with the likes of prime R9 and TOTS Agüero.

I've just picked him up again, hopefully the third time lucky rule applies to him too, wasn't impressed with the two I had packed during the golden era.

Gonna sell some stuff to pick up Cazorla, only about 10k away, as him Pedro and Villa will make a pretty potent trio up front.
  • RebelRob
    6680 posts Big Money Move
    Tots javi Martinez.

Used him at cdm as I got him untraceable and only had him in for chem, but was incredibly surprised. Only sub him off second half because of stamina otherwise he’d stay on.
  • lf2009
    2358 posts Fans' Favourite
    Prime larsson. Only done him because he was cheap at the time but 900 games, 597 goals and 350odd assist mainly playing at cam or cf.

Tried replacing him loads with better cards like cr7, henry etc but he shines above them for me
  • caedite
    585 posts An Exciting Prospect
    FOF Mooy. A temporary cheap buy that’s now a fixture.
    FOF Moses. Been terrific at RM in 532.
    TOTS Muller
  • MattDaddy V1
    1688 posts Play-Off Hero
    Fof Trippier, pulled him in a 2 player upgrade pack. Insane crossing just insane.

Tots Kimpembe, got him on my 2nd account untradeable and ended up replacing tots thiago Silva with him. Right place right time kind of defender. Does everything simple.
  • Ulook92
    19854 posts Club Captain
    FoF Villa. My god what a card.
  • Keano
    16492 posts World Class
    82 Lingard... got him just because I love the lad in general, but his finesse & dribbling was Op, so when the FOF came out, I got that & he's been amazing.
  • Birthday Sissoko lol

I also like the Africa SBC Ndidi
  • Rabiotand aouar
  • Diggy
    14736 posts Has That Special Something
    84 Lozano for 22k when he first came out & made prime Rui Costa look like a bronze

Have his FUTTIES now
  • Trobos_Locos
    1346 posts Professional
    Tevez! I got him from a 2 players gold pack obtained from the daily objectives and from the first game he’s been great.

So strong and score goals like it’s nothing.
  • Trobos_Locos
    1346 posts Professional
    edited August 2018
    Diggy wrote: »
    84 Lozano for 22k when he first came out & made prime Rui Costa look like a bronze

Have his FUTTIES now

Do you use FOF Lozano with no chemistry? How is him?

I used him and it was nothing special to me but everybody loves him.
  • Diggy
    14736 posts Has That Special Something

Have his FUTTIES now

Never used the FoF & I sub him in 60 mins + when my opponent makes a sub
  • Trobos_Locos
    1346 posts Professional

Have his FUTTIES now

Never used the FoF & I sub him in 60 mins + when my opponent makes a sub

Ohhh Futties. It was so cheap and attractive but I am crazy about the chemistry. (I am still talking about a FIFA card)

Seems to work for everyone but not for me! Haha

I need to improve some areas.
  • Davey Sprockett
    I'm now going to have to chuck 89 Podolski into the ring, got him because I have fond memories of his fifa 13 card.

Had him on the bench and things weren't going my way, so brought on Tots Werner, 89 Podolski and 91 Gotze at half time, and he got a hat trick in his very first match.

Feels every bit as good as the player I had in 13, I'm currently looking at how to build a team around him for very minimal coins.
  • CeeQue
    12740 posts Has That Special Something
    TOTS Sergi Roberto didn't like him at 1st but he has been immense for me.
  • Cadey 5
    12169 posts Has That Special Something
    IF Ake is my second most capped CB for the year with 158 games packed in monthly rewards loved him.

IF/SIF Ligt also got my first elite finish with that man loved him can’t get him in the team now.
  • FrankFrank
    3782 posts National Call-Up
    Has to be Milinkovic-Savic. Was pretty unknown to me pre season and also in terms of fifa. Used sif since pre upgrades. Was replaced by the ptg as I packed him. Then I bought the tots and what a card! Finally I packed a tots from a gold upgrade and sold the other one :sunglasses::smirk: Well over 1000 games combined.

• Shearer09NUFC1
    1207 posts Professional
    TOTS Young
    Never expected him as a right footed LB to be so good for me
  • Humma78
    2544 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fof Ribery. Excellent card.
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    I’ve played against Luis Alberto a few times where he just destroyed me lol seems like a perfect ST/CF.

I give my shout to tots parejo. Absolutely quality for me. So much so I used in beta with his nif stats of course and he just felt soo ❤️❤️❤️❤️ great still lol. His tots feels much quicker than expected and just seems to be able to do everything. His defending is stellar despite being a smaller build compared to other options.
  • yerwaltz
    4078 posts National Call-Up
    There’s also alessandrini. I still claim I was one of the first to state his OPness :trollface: rest was history of course.

I’m going to go ahead and admit it, I start his futties now, ST and then move him to RCAM, putting tots griez up top. Kind of abandoned the usual one larger ST approach :open_mouth:
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    Rabiot is quality
  • Antparry92
    19233 posts World Class
    Some of the cards you guys are mentioning, like it’s unexpected that they’re good :joy:

IF Dempsey for me. Was great for me. Have since upgraded to the FOF which you’d expect to be decent and he hasn’t disappointed at all. Keeps Villa out of my side
  • SergiuLive
    3170 posts National Call-Up
    I never really played with cheap cards except for some objectives. And from those I must say that Elia from the russian league and Zardes from the MLS played really well and were really helpfull in reaching those objectives.