The 4231 formation guide (Gameplay video added)

Comments

• kentftw
    160 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @selb any advice on the above for me mate? I'm uncomfortable taking the plunge for new players until I hear from others like yourself that have tried a wider variety of players than me :smile::blush:
  • RayS
    27220 posts Player of the Year
    Hello friends. iirc this is the guide I based my 4-2-3-1 MLS hybrid on. Any friendly suggestions for things to change for my team?

FoF Zlatan

TOTS Gio -- EoaE Kaká -- TOTS Valeri (did you know he's El Tornado certified?)

EoaE Pirlo -- FUT BD Schweinsteiger

TOTS Young -- Prime Rio -- Hero Waston -- Prime Zanetti

FoF Navas

Currently experimenting with this modified backline (I scored FoF Terry in the SBC)

POTY Sess -- FoF Terry -- Prime Rio -- Prime Zanetti

FoF Patricio

• selb
    6816 posts Big Money Move
    @kentftw tbh there's not much I can do with that, I've tried making teams but they all end up with shoddy chemistry, I personally don't like subbing on players at the start but it looks like that's what you'll have to do I'm afraid, if you can I'd definitely recommend trying TOTS Son in your team, he's really good.

Sorry I can't be any help.
  • selb
    @RayS I'm guessing you can't afford FoF David Villa? I think he'd be great at ST and drop Ibra to CAM, I'm guessing you don't have any issues with stamina for some of those players?
  • RayS
    selb wrote: »
    @RayS I'm guessing you can't afford FoF David Villa? I think he'd be great at ST and drop Ibra to CAM, I'm guessing you don't have any issues with stamina for some of those players?

@selb atm, I can't quite afford Villa, but I really like Zlatan up top a lot (to start with). I usually end up dropping him to CAM tho around the 60th and bring on Nations SBC Rashford up top to stretch the game a bit.

FoF Villa looks insanely good on paper though. I still may consider him up top.

Stamina isn't an issue just bc I sub strategically. Usually it's Rashford for Kaká (and the aforementioned swap with Zlatan), TOTS Sané for Valeri, and TOTS Ramos for Pirlo.
  • selb
    RayS wrote: »

@selb atm, I can't quite afford Villa, but I really like Zlatan up top a lot (to start with). I usually end up dropping him to CAM tho around the 60th and bring on Nations SBC Rashford up top to stretch the game a bit.

Stamina isn't an issue just bc I sub strategically. Usually it's Rashford for Kaká (and the aforementioned swap with Zlatan), TOTS Sané for Valeri, and TOTS Ramos for Pirlo.

Fair enough @RayS, I don't think there's much more you can do with that MPS team then, you seem to have all the best players, the only thing I would do is get a better defensive minded player, although there's a real lack of quality in that department in this game for the MLS, you'd have to get an Icon
  • RayS

Fair enough @RayS, I don't think there's much more you can do with that MPS team then, you seem to have all the best players, the only thing I would do is get a better defensive minded player, although there's a real lack of quality in that department in this game for the MLS, you'd have to get an Icon

Yeah good point. I'm sure the likes of a Vieira or Petit or Matthaus would be awesome there for either Pirlo or Shweiney.

I've helped myself a little by applying Shadow to Pirlo and Anchor to Schweiny.

Thx for the input!
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    Hello friends. iirc this is the guide I based my 4-2-3-1 MLS hybrid on. Any friendly suggestions for things to change for my team?

FoF Zlatan

FoF Navas

Currently experimenting with this modified backline (I scored FoF Terry in the SBC)

FoF Patricio

Cool team! You don't often see MLS players.

I really wanted to love the Ibrahimovic card. I bought the ManU NIF as soon as I could afford it. I collected fut swap cards and got swap Zlatan. The strength is great, and he looks awesome, but I just can't attack with a player who turns that slow, even as a CAM.
  • selb
    Salama wrote: »

FoF Zlatan

FoF Navas

FoF Patricio

I really wanted to love the Ibrahimovic card. I bought the ManU NIF as soon as I could afford it. I collected fut swap cards and got swap Zlatan. The strength is great, and he looks awesome, but I just can't attack with a player who turns that slow, even as a CAM.

Agreed, it is a nice team and a nice change to seeing the same thing every game!

@RayS how does it play? What CT and PI you use? Do you use this team online?
  • RayS

FoF Zlatan

FoF Navas

FoF Patricio

Agreed, it is a nice team and a nice change to seeing the same thing every game!

Thanks! It plays really nicely actually. One reason I love having big Zlatan up top is that I can bypass midfield pressure by simply lobbing the ball up to him from my CDMs and then knock it down onto an overlapping CAM.

I use the CT and PI from the OP, with the exception that I set my fullbacks to always overlap to get that extra width.

I do use this online (it's one of my two teams I rotate with, the other being a Prem La Liga hybrid in a 4-3-1-2). Only in D3 Seasons though.

FoF Zlatan

FoF Navas

FoF Patricio

Ty ty. I'd honestly prefer a pure MLS team, but the defense just won't hold up online. Except for Waston. he's a beast in every sense of the word.

And ya, Zlatan isn't for everyone. I think in FUT, you either love him or hate him.
  • selb

FoF Zlatan

FoF Navas

FoF Patricio

Thanks! It plays really nicely actually. One reason I love having big Zlatan up top is that I can bypass midfield pressure by simply lobbing the ball up to him from my CDMs and then knock it down onto an overlapping CAM.

I use the CT and PI from the OP, with the exception that I set my fullbacks to always overlap to get that extra width.

I do use this online (it's one of my two teams I rotate with, the other being a Prem La Liga hybrid in a 4-3-1-2). Only in D3 Seasons though.

FoF Zlatan

FoF Navas

FoF Patricio

Ty ty. I'd honestly prefer a pure MLS team, but the defense just won't hold up online. Except for Waston. he's a beast in every sense of the word.

And ya, Zlatan isn't for everyone. I think in FUT, you either love him or hate him.

Wow div 3, that's quite impressive for a team lime that, no offence intended.

You on Xbox? I'd love to play against that team.

In fact, if anyone fancies a game pm me and we'll sort something out.
  • RayS

FoF Zlatan

FoF Navas

FoF Patricio

FoF Zlatan

FoF Navas

FoF Patricio

Wow div 3, that's quite impressive for a team lime that, no offence intended.

You on Xbox? I'd love to play against that team.

In fact, if anyone fancies a game pm me and we'll sort something out.

No offense taken. I definitely know this is not at all a META team, but surprisngly I get about the same results as my Prem La Liga team with the likes of CR7, 90 Pogba, DDG, and TOTS Ramos.

I am on Xbox actually! I'll PM you my gamer tag. I don't get a whole lot of time to play during the week tho (that's mainly why I can't qualify for WL), but we can get a game in somewhere I'm sure.
  • kentftw
    edited July 2018
    @kentftw tbh there's not much I can do with that, I've tried making teams but they all end up with shoddy chemistry, I personally don't like subbing on players at the start but it looks like that's what you'll have to do I'm afraid, if you can I'd definitely recommend trying TOTS Son in your team, he's really good.

Sorry I can't be any help.

Hi @selb ; no worries mate, thanks for the attempted help! I could slot TOTS Ramos straight in to improve the defence (can you vouch for him compared to NIF?), though his price keeps creeping up

or I could buy TOTS Son to try him out instead of CR7 up top (or would you play one of firmino, salah, Neymar, gullet striker? )
  • selb
    @kentftw I can say with 100% certainty thst TOTS Ramos is far greater than his NIF, but TOTS Son is also really good so it depends where you want to improve, I wouldn't play Salah as lone ST coz of his horrendous wf but I can say Firmino is am awesome ST, it really depends what you want from your team and how you want them to play
  • kentftw
    @kentftw I can say with 100% certainty thst TOTS Ramos is far greater than his NIF, but TOTS Son is also really good so it depends where you want to improve, I wouldn't play Salah as lone ST coz of his horrendous wf but I can say Firmino is am awesome ST, it really depends what you want from your team and how you want them to play

hi @selb ; if I bought Son to try out with my 370k I guess I would have to play:

Firmino
    Neymar - Son - Salah
    Gustavo - Gullit
    Telles - tots Vertonghen - tots De Ligt - tots Walker

or
    Firmino
    Son - Gullit - Neymar
    Gustavo - _____

and salah off the bench? ... Who's better at striker out of Son,Firmino,Gullit,Neymar,Salah you reckon?

I've put this team together... if I don't sell CR7 while trying out Son I can just buy a cheap nif for that cm spot and sub-on Telles (AMAZING) at LB

BUT - if I do sell CR7 and Telles then I have 550k to spend on that midfield spot - is there anyone I can buy there that could then fill in at LB? someone like FUT birthday Florenzi comes to mind (but he'd have terrible chem) etc. Or a central icon that can play LB
    https://www.futbin.com/18/squad/5634079

• Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    Now that Brazil is out, I bought PTG Willian 91 for 150k. Just one game played at Div3, two goals, motm, feels like the best RW I've tried so far - and I've tried many!

I hated the 87 PTG, but this upgrade feels great. 90+ finishing, 4* weak foot and skills, lightning fast, great dribbling. Douglas Costa is now on the bench.

AND I get to play with the attack trio that Tite should have used all the time:
    Neymar-Firmino-Willian
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    15xu42b.png

My latest squad with the new fullbacks & Willian 91

Firmino
    Neymar - Talisca - Willian
    Allan - Fabinho
    R Carlos - Koulibaly - Benatia - Dani Alves
    Donnarumma
  • selb
    edited July 2018
    Nice team @Salama, how is Willian? I was looking to pick him up and replace TOTS Depay with him but not sure, this is my team now

[img][/img]Companion_2018-07-08-00-37-35.png.

Finished R9 yesterday, he's currently on 15 goals and 5 assists in 10 games, best ST I've used, Depay hasn't been great so far, maybe look to replace him with Willian and possibly replace Talisca for TOTS Casemiro or TOTS Allan for a more solid CDM partnership
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    Nice team @Salama, how is Willian? I was looking to pick him up and replace TOTS Depay with him but not sure, this is my team now

[img][/img]Companion_2018-07-08-00-37-35.png.

Finished R9 yesterday, he's currently on 15 goals and 5 assists in 10 games, best ST I've used, Depay hasn't been great so far, maybe look to replace him with Willian and possibly replace Talisca for TOTS Casemiro or TOTS Allan for a more solid CDM partnership

Only played 4 seasons games with Willian. 3 goals. Excellent record for a wide CAM so far. Mine had Marksman chem.

Allan is really good at intercepting passes, but Talisca's long shots are crazy. Haven't tried Casemiro.

I started doing R9 a while ago with some high rated untradables, but still a long way to go, probably not gonna finish until the game is long gone.
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    BTW. You know when sometimes it's so crowded in the middle that it's hard to find a pass with your CCAM? Been playing half my games with 4222, atm it might be even better than 4231 narrow. Same exact defence, but awesome wide attack against the narrow formations like 4312/4321. One striker false 9 (Firmino), the other get in behind (Neymar), cams get into the box (Talisca, Willian).
  • selb
    BTW. You know when sometimes it's so crowded in the middle that it's hard to find a pass with your CCAM? Been playing half my games with 4222, atm it might be even better than 4231 narrow. Same exact defence, but awesome wide attack against the narrow formations like 4312/4321. One striker false 9 (Firmino), the other get in behind (Neymar), cams get into the box (Talisca, Willian).

I've been experimenting with different formations when 4231 isn't working, there's been a few times at half time when it just hasn't worked, passes aren't working and I'm not getting any shots away, change at half time to 41212 and I end up wining coz the opponent doesn't expect it, I might try the 4222 tonight for a bit, wouldn't know who to use as false 9 though, maybe Gullit?
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional

I've been experimenting with different formations when 4231 isn't working, there's been a few times at half time when it just hasn't worked, passes aren't working and I'm not getting any shots away, change at half time to 41212 and I end up wining coz the opponent doesn't expect it, I might try the 4222 tonight for a bit, wouldn't know who to use as false 9 though, maybe Gullit?

A strong striker, you could go R9 false 9 and Son get in behind. Some people just play both strikers get in behind.
  • selb

A strong striker, you could go R9 false 9 and Son get in behind. Some people just play both strikers get in behind.

Yeah i thought of doing it that way but I'm not too sure on Gullit at wide CAM, or would you say Talisca at wide CAM and Gullit CDM?
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional

Yeah i thought of doing it that way but I'm not too sure on Gullit at wide CAM, or would you say Talisca at wide CAM and Gullit CDM?

Your call :D

I'd say you can't lose either way. Gullit will definitely work as a wide cam, as it's a bit different role from 4231 wide cam/winger. No maximum pace needed.
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    edited July 2018
    France 2018 style 4231

Another fun experiment with 4231. I built a fitness team from some of my fun untradeables & leftovers, such as Prime Larsson, Vardy, FutSwap Ibrahimovic, FB Rooney, FB Florenzi etc. and use it on legendary lvl squad battles.

France has played their strong target Giroud man up top, fast strikers behind him, and then two solid CDMs:

Giroud
    Tolisso/Matuidi - Griezmann - Mbappé
    Kante - Pogba

I use Ibra instead of Giroud: a strong tall guy who can hold the ball for days. Set the striker on "Target man" and the CAMs "Get into the box for crosses."

When you get the ball, try to find a pass to your striker. He should be waiting for the pass outside the box. Shield the ball while the cams rush past your target man towards the goal. Pass & score.

My attack:

Swap Ibra
    Rooney - Vardy - Larsson

Larsson is great at this, Rooney is just horrible :D in my first game I scored two goals with Larsson. It's fun when you get it to work - as seen on TV.

[Edit] Your custom tactics should be fadt enough for long vertical passes, say

60/35
    60/40/60
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    Sorry for spamming :p but YEAAH! I finally made it to Division 2!

Est. Nov 2017
    Record 502-122-431 (half SB, half seasons)

And the thing is, this time it wasn't even such a struggle. I've started scoring a lot more goals since I started using the trigger run + pass - I don't spam it, but use it every now and then to send Neymar or Talisca running. I also almost completely stopped switching to my full backs at defence - I just block the passes and shots with Fabinho / Allan. On a rare occasion I might do a standing tackle with Koulibaly. The final game was good old 4231 narrow, won 1-0 even if I missed 4-5 sitters.

Maybe DKT next week.. in the recent attempts I've lost with only one goal in the final.
  • selb
    France 2018 style 4231

Another fun experiment with 4231. I built a fitness team from some of my fun untradeables & leftovers, such as Prime Larsson, Vardy, FutSwap Ibrahimovic, FB Rooney, FB Florenzi etc. and use it on legendary lvl squad battles.

France has played their strong target Giroud man up top, fast strikers behind him, and then two solid CDMs:

Giroud
    Kante - Pogba

I use Ibra instead of Giroud: a strong tall guy who can hold the ball for days. Set the striker on "Target man" and the CAMs "Get into the box for crosses."

When you get the ball, try to find a pass to your striker. He should be waiting for the pass outside the box. Shield the ball while the cams rush past your target man towards the goal. Pass & score.

My attack:

Swap Ibra
    Rooney - Vardy - Larsson

Larsson is great at this, Rooney is just horrible :D in my first game I scored two goals with Larsson. It's fun when you get it to work - as seen on TV.

60/35
    60/40/60

That's a nice concept you got there, let me know how it pans out. It's always tricky trying to replicate real teams tactics and instructions though
  • selb
    Sorry for spamming :p but YEAAH! I finally made it to Division 2!

Est. Nov 2017
    Record 502-122-431 (half SB, half seasons)

And the thing is, this time it wasn't even such a struggle. I've started scoring a lot more goals since I started using the trigger run + pass - I don't spam it, but use it every now and then to send Neymar or Talisca running. I also almost completely stopped switching to my full backs at defence - I just block the passes and shots with Fabinho / Allan. On a rare occasion I might do a standing tackle with Koulibaly. The final game was good old 4231 narrow, won 1-0 even if I missed 4-5 sitters.

Maybe DKT next week.. in the recent attempts I've lost with only one goal in the final.

Congrats dude, it's not as easy as people make out to get to the top 2 divisions, I for one, at one point was really struggling in div 1, got relegated back to 2 a couple of times but once you get used to how most people play in the higher divisions you can usually win most.

Congrats again, division 1 and WL beckon
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    France 2018 style 4231

Giroud
    Kante - Pogba

My attack:

Swap Ibra
    Rooney - Vardy - Larsson

60/35
    60/40/60

That's a nice concept you got there, let me know how it pans out. It's always tricky trying to replicate real teams tactics and instructions though

This is just for laughs! I wouldn't play "real" games with my B team, but gonna go with this in the Squad battles just because it's fun to have Ibra on the field.
  • selb
    France 2018 style 4231

Giroud
    Kante - Pogba

My attack:

Swap Ibra
    Rooney - Vardy - Larsson

60/35
    60/40/60

This is just for laughs! I wouldn't play "real" games with my B team, but gonna go with this in the Squad battles just because it's fun to have Ibra on the field.

It's a still a nice concept though, I'd love to be able to replicate my personal favourite ever team, which is the Arsenal Invincible team of 03-04