OT: Martial Arts

Comments

• ORANGEeffect05
    25765 posts Player of the Year
    Honestly debating cancelling the Muay Thai trial class and just going on with the BJJ. Can always try that down the road.

Ended up calling to cancel the trial class. Going to continue with BJJ tomorrow night instead. Ordered my Gi as well :sunglasses:
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Did Jiu Jitsu for several years in my school days, even won a decent trophy for somthing I can't remember. Also tried Karate but thought it was rubbish in comparison

Thinking about getting back in to it but turning 26 I don't think I could go anywhere. :D
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Did Jiu Jitsu for several years in my school days, even won a decent trophy for somthing I can't remember. Also tried Karate but thought it was rubbish in comparison

Thinking about getting back in to it but turning 26 I don't think I could go anywhere. :D

Im turning 26 next week :tongue:
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional

Well there are top athletes competing at a high level in the UFC in to their forties so anything is possible ;)

• ORANGEeffect05

Well there are top athletes competing at a high level in the UFC in to their forties so anything is possible ;)

1 day in should be ready for the UFC soon :blush:
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited June 2018
    I'd say the biggest challenge at 26 is just making it feel natural to point where if you got stuck in a random fight on a night out for example you wouldn't have to think about what you were doing.

Joe Rogan made a good point whilst discussing the latest Punk fight, the best time to start is when you are still growing up as it's easier for it to become second nature. I never attended an adult class but I've found that whenever I'm in a scrap I'm using stuff without thinking about it. Even simple things like a hit throw can work wonders.

But hey you're 26, he was 38. No matter what it's an awesome way to stay fit so it's a win/win.
  • Hicksy2011
    16943 posts World Class
    Think I'm gonna start boxing soon
    Unfortunately been plagued by knee injuries for the last 8 years so need to find a sport that's a little less high impact on my knee for a bit while I continue my 4 year (!) rehab process
    Really want to do it as well, seems absolutely class, did Muay Thai for a very short bit when I was a kid and only stopped because my mum didn't want me learning a fighting sport
  • ORANGEeffect05
    I'd say the biggest challenge at 26 is just making it feel natural to point where if you got stuck in a random fight on a night out for example you wouldn't have to think about what you were doing.

Joe Rogan made a good point whilst discussing the latest Punk fight, the best time to start is when you are still growing up as it's easier for it to become second nature. I never attended an adult class but I've found that whenever I'm in a scrap I'm using stuff without thinking about it. Even simple things like a hit throw can work wonders.

But hey you're 26, he was 38. No matter what it's an awesome way to stay fit so it's a win/win.

Yea mainly looking at it as a way to get out of my comfort zone, get in great shape, and instill more self discipline.

Not sure ill ever even compete outside my gym or not but looking forward to pushing myself. Definitely easier to learn as early as possible, but don't think were ever too old to learn :)
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna start boxing soon
    Unfortunately been plagued by knee injuries for the last 8 years so need to find a sport that's a little less high impact on my knee for a bit while I continue my 4 year (!) rehab process
    Really want to do it as well, seems absolutely class, did Muay Thai for a very short bit when I was a kid and only stopped because my mum didn't want me learning a fighting sport

GL getting after it mate and with the rehab! Thankfully not had any real injury in my two decades of sport (knock on wood).
  • Antparry92
    19237 posts World Class
    I really want to try BJJ again now but there’s no where round where I live, it’d be a 50 mile round trip for me
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    I really want to try BJJ again now but there’s no where round where I live, it’d be a 50 mile round trip for me

:( I'm lucky my city has tons of options around, 50 mile round trip is a bit much but maybe worth checking something by work?
  • Antparry92
    19237 posts World Class

:( I'm lucky my city has tons of options around, 50 mile round trip is a bit much but maybe worth checking something by work?
    I’ve moved back to where I use to live and it just so happens it’s where I work. I live about 2 miles away from where I work. There is a great boxing gym here, but I found they weren’t keen on newcomers, and more focused on their fighters which I guess is understandable to an extent
  • NornIron
    13808 posts Has That Special Something
    Remember one punch can kill, i have the negotiating skills of say the FBI's top man only been in two fights took a punch like Mclovin and was stabbed with a toothpick.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Didn't Eddie Bravo start at the age of 24?
  • ORANGEeffect05

I’ve moved back to where I use to live and it just so happens it’s where I work. I live about 2 miles away from where I work. There is a great boxing gym here, but I found they weren’t keen on newcomers, and more focused on their fighters which I guess is understandable to an extent

Ah fair enough then, proximity definitely plays a role in keeping motivated. Got my second class tonight and ordered my Gi already :blush:
    Santiago wrote: »
    Didn't Eddie Bravo start at the age of 24?

Quick google check confirms. I'm basically the second coming of Eddie Bravo :smiley:
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Day 2 and ended the class with some sparring! Dont have much in the way of techniques or passes to try out yet but can feel how the ones I've tried work in action.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here taken Karate and found it useful? I tried it for a while but can't imagine any of it being relevant in a fight. If anything it felt more like a dance class.

• ORANGEeffect05
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here taken Karate and found it useful? I tried it for a while but can't imagine any of it being relevant in a fight. If anything it felt more like a dance class.

Seems to be a lot of the criticism wagered on a lot of the traditional CMA. I'm sure it develops balance and other techniques but wouldn't be as helpful without meaningful sparring. No experience with any CMA but came across this a lot in my research of what I wanted to start learning @IntoxicatedSeal
  • krakos000
    17660 posts World Class
    You should try capoeira out man! It's hard to explain but once you get into it and you realize how similar some of the techniques and theories are to other martial arts like BJJ and MT, its mindblowing when it clicks.

Obviously stick with BJJ first but maybe in a few months try a capoeira class out.

Glad to hear it's going well!!!
  • Antparry92
    19237 posts World Class

Have a look at Wado-awakai. I done it for a year or so and definitely found it helpful. It’s very push pull related and waiting to counter your opponent using their own weight
  • ORANGEeffect05
    krakos000 wrote: »
    You should try capoeira out man! It's hard to explain but once you get into it and you realize how similar some of the techniques and theories are to other martial arts like BJJ and MT, its mindblowing when it clicks.

Obviously stick with BJJ first but maybe in a few months try a capoeira class out.

Glad to hear it's going well!!!

Thanks man, will definitely consider trying anither out down the road :+1:

Going again tonight since i signed up for 2x weekly and the classes are M-Thurs.
  • Killashaw
    1216 posts Professional

I did it as a kid, and it learned me just to develop a good striking technique. When I changed to kickboxing I immediately had an advantage since I had 2 different stances. But only Karate is not good enough imo, it's just inefficient sometimes ( and especially in a street fight)
  • BrentfordFC
    13442 posts Has That Special Something
    Did someone knock ya down ? :trollface:
  • ORANGEeffect05

In BJJ you pull them down with ya :trollface:
  • BrentfordFC

Careful mert. They might think you wanna get intimate :trollface:
  • ORANGEeffect05

Could always have them sleep with me using the rear-naked choke :trollface:
  • BrentfordFC

Could always have them sleep with me using the rear-naked choke :trollface:

:joy:
  • Davey Sprockett
    4366 posts National Call-Up
    I did muay thai, San da, tiger crane kung fu, shuang yang pei ho rou rouen quan, judo, each for a couple of years, over the course of my life.

There's a Gracie bjj place near me now, that the guy I trained muay Thai with, and is lead coach, and another in Richmond where a couple of ufc guys have trained too.

I'm seriously considering going back to do another martial art, it's well worth doing, but you can half ❤️❤️❤️❤️ it, if you do you'll get no benefit whatsoever.

If I were to, it'd be a complete diet and workout change, it'd be no point otherwise.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    I've a bit of an obsessive personality and am quite competitive so definitely taking it seriously. Sounds like you have quite the background @Davey Sprockett! Going again tonight and will continue twice a week for the next couple months, can always up it to 3 or 4 if i want.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    edited June 2018

Seems to be a lot of the criticism wagered on a lot of the traditional CMA. I'm sure it develops balance and other techniques but wouldn't be as helpful without meaningful sparring. No experience with any CMA but came across this a lot in my research of what I wanted to start learning @IntoxicatedSeal

Have a look at Wado-awakai. I done it for a year or so and definitely found it helpful. It’s very push pull related and waiting to counter your opponent using their own weight
    Killashaw wrote: »

I did it as a kid, and it learned me just to develop a good striking technique. When I changed to kickboxing I immediately had an advantage since I had 2 different stances. But only Karate is not good enough imo, it's just inefficient sometimes ( and especially in a street fight)

Looking back I suppose I did learn a few good stances and a few striking techniques, when it comes to manipulating and gaining leverage it helped slightly but I gained far more in that department from Jiu Jitsu .

Just so little of it seemed relevant to an actual normal self defence situation. Best part of it was that I discovered the caretakers stash of beer at the school and ended up skipping it to drink that instead.

It can be a decent compliment to somthing else but it has got to be the worst mainstream form of martial arts to study.