OT: Martial Arts

Comments

• Carlos181
    4110 posts National Call-Up
    Carlos181 wrote: »
    Done boxing for a few years on and off. Thinking about giving BJJ or Muay Thai a go, since that’s what most of the people sign up for these days at my local gym

Im sure there are some transferable skills as well, while obviously some stylistic differences with MT.

I’m not very good when it comes to kicking, nor do I care for hugging another male on the floor :D . But, I want to learn!
  • ORANGEeffect05
    25765 posts Player of the Year
    Done boxing for a few years on and off. Thinking about giving BJJ or Muay Thai a go, since that’s what most of the people sign up for these days at my local gym

Im sure there are some transferable skills as well, while obviously some stylistic differences with MT.

I’m not very good when it comes to kicking, nor do I care for hugging another male on the floor :D . But, I want to learn!

Intro to hugging male on the floor soon for me :lol:
  • Keano
    16497 posts World Class

I’m not very good when it comes to hugging another male on the floor :D . But, I want to learn!

Wrong kind of forum lad ;)
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Benn wrote: »
    Gonna start BJJ very soon, been eager to try it for a good 4/5 years

Will let you know how day 1 goes fam
  • Carlos181
    4110 posts National Call-Up
    Keano wrote: »

I’m not very good when it comes to hugging another male on the floor :D . But, I want to learn!

Wrong kind of forum lad ;)

Exposed
  • ORANGEeffect05
    First class in the books! Beginner class so only worked on a few pummeling exercises, guard control, and one takedown from guard. As a newbie I had to watch open sparring but did see some cool stuff in the more advanced sparring before the beginners class.

Going to give the Muay Thai at another gym a go before i commit but this one is a 5 minute walk from my house vs a 30 minute drive to the MT gym. Advantage to the further gym is they offer Aikido, BJJ, MT, Judo, and a couple other classes.
  • Keano
    16497 posts World Class
    First class in the books! Beginner class so only worked on a few pummeling exercises, guard control, and one takedown from guard. As a newbie I had to watch open sparring but did see some cool stuff in the more advanced sparring before the beginners class.

Going to give the Muay Thai at another gym a go before i commit but this one is a 5 minute walk from my house vs a 30 minute drive to the MT gym. Advantage to the further gym is they offer Aikido, BJJ, MT, Judo, and a couple other classes.

Yeah might be best to learn the beginner stuff at the one near you before going advanced etc at the one that'l take longer travelling to.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Keano wrote: »

Yeah might be best to learn the beginner stuff at the one near you before going advanced etc at the one that'l take longer travelling to.

Yea and only going to be learning one discipline for a good while so could always go to the other for Muay Thai down the road.
  • Arsenik365
    555 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Did MMA 4 years, full mixed, judo, MT, boxing, blue belt BJJ Royce Gracie, Wrestling. Teammate was UFC Champ. Done Taekwondo as youngster.
  • Davisto
    6357 posts Big Money Move
    NornIron wrote: »
    Seen all the Jean claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal films what do u want to know.

Tbf im wearing a black belt at work today :smirk:

Im appalled tbh no seagal trenchcoat gtfo :trollface::joy:
  • BrentfordFC
    13442 posts Has That Special Something
    Make sure you knock someone down though sir mert :trollface:

Aren’t you gonna invite him to your world star fight class?

Nah mert. The Bradford bullies are too soft for him :trollface:
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Arsenik365 wrote: »
    Did MMA 4 years, full mixed, judo, MT, boxing, blue belt BJJ Royce Gracie, Wrestling. Teammate was UFC Champ. Done Taekwondo as youngster.

Any tips for a beginner? Which was your favorite of those disciplines?
  • Blarix
    20845 posts Club Captain
    8 years kick boxing loved it but moved countries and picked up knee injury. Starting Bjj next month
  • Killashaw
    1216 posts Professional
    I've trained karate and muay thai for like 10 years. Did 1,5 year BJJ to be more complete and really loved it, but the class was 20 minutes with the car so hard to combine it with my duties. So stopped.

Currently just doing boxing 3x a week.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Blarix wrote: »
    8 years kick boxing loved it but moved countries and picked up knee injury. Starting Bjj next month

Hell yea join up the beginnger BJJ crew :sunglasses: . Got MT Kickboxing tm to try out :+1:
    Killashaw wrote: »
    I've trained karate and muay thai for like 10 years. Did 1,5 year BJJ to be more complete and really loved it, but the class was 20 minutes with the car so hard to combine it with my duties. So stopped.

That's what is drawing me to the BJJ gym, so close and liked the professors there...a bit more expensive than a few other gyms though (figured as much with no prices advertised online).
  • Blarix
    20845 posts Club Captain

Hell yea join up the beginnger BJJ crew :sunglasses: . Got MT Kickboxing tm to try out :+1:

That's what is drawing me to the BJJ gym, so close and liked the professors there...a bit more expensive than a few other gyms though (figured as much with no prices advertised online).

Kickboxing in my opinion is amazing but Holland kickboxing is way different and ahead than most countries. BJJ is ego buster apparently you will get humbled many times ...part of the learning process
  • ORANGEeffect05

Kickboxing in my opinion is amazing but Holland kickboxing is way different and ahead than most countries. BJJ is ego buster apparently you will get humbled many times ...part of the learning process

No doubt. Looking forward to open sparring.
  • Arsenik365
    555 posts An Exciting Prospect

Wrestling is a must, Judo is good to know to counter a good wrestler(opponent). The best thing is to learn how to get out submissions, Try to drill and spare with somebody better in BJJ than you, someone with long legs or heavier than you, would make you better at defending, and learn how to set up your opponents.
  • ORANGEeffect05

Wrestling is a must, Judo is good to know to counter a good wrestler(opponent). The best thing is to learn how to get out submissions, Try to drill and spare with somebody better in BJJ than you, someone with long legs or heavier than you, would make you better at defending, and learn how to set up your opponents.

Thanks mate, as I get into sparring i definitely won't shy away from the tough opponent to push myself and learn from them
  • Carswell
    8411 posts League Winner
    He’ll always be our DON

• ORANGEeffect05
    Carswell wrote: »
    He’ll always be our DON

Don't forget Lyoto :wink:
  • Carswell
    8411 posts League Winner
    He’ll always be our DON

200w.gif
  • ORANGEeffect05
    He’ll always be our DON

200w.gif

Night night sugar :*
  • CeeQue
    12773 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 2018
    Found a new Krav maga school about 5-10 min drive from where i live. Realistically this is probably the most beneficial since I live in a very rough hipster neighborhood.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    CeeQue wrote: »
    Found a new Krav maga school about 5-10 min drive from where i live. Realistically this is probably the most beneficial since I live in a very rough hipster neighborhood.

Plenty of options locally (30 min drive or less) for me but enjoyed the professor and the short walk. 2x week (and open mat) is like $130/month which isn't all that bad i suppose. Would start with that before going up to 3 or unlimited.
  • Carswell
    8411 posts League Winner

• CeeQue
    12773 posts Has That Special Something

Plenty of options locally (30 min drive or less) for me but enjoyed the professor and the short walk. 2x week (and open mat) is like $130/month which isn't all that bad i suppose. Would start with that before going up to 3 or unlimited.

Yeah that's what i hate about those gyms. Its over $150 for 2 days a week of training is a buzz kill. This one i found is a Jewish rec center so its affordable. I don't need to learn to kill a guy just enough to work out and still look like Bo' Rai Cho.
  • ORANGEeffect05

Yeah that's what i hate about those gyms. Its over $150 for 2 days a week of training is a buzz kill. This one i found is a Jewish rec center so its affordable. I don't need to learn to kill a guy just enough to work out and still look like Bo' Rai Cho.

:lol: you should learn some Drunken Boxing style in Bo Rai Cho's honor

Yea, mostly doing it to stay in good shape and learn new skills and discipline. Price makes sense I suppose given that there is black belt instruction and the beginners class ratio is like 1:4 or 1:5. Helps that i dont belong to any other gym. If I find myself hooked i guess i can bump it up to the 3x or unlimited for another $10-20.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

Maybe I should start kickboxing then. Going to train hard so I can beat Rico Verhoeven :trollface:
  • ORANGEeffect05
    Honestly debating cancelling the Muay Thai trial class and just going on with the BJJ. Can always try that down the road.