Ronaldo & messi debate

Donovan86
2674 posts Fans' Favourite
edited June 2018
Before I go any further I’m neither a fanboy of both players, I have respect that they both have a tremendous amount of talent, but this guy makes sense and it’s hard not to disagree

Comments

• WFCBagnall
    71487 posts Moderator
    Both just unbelievable players. Neither is better than each other because each have their own qualities. End thread.
  • mdizzl3
    12417 posts Has That Special Something
    WFCBagnall wrote: »
    Both just unbelievable players. Neither is better than each other because each have their own qualities. End thread.

This. Both are fantastic.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    13625 posts Has That Special Something
    My pic aside, and my general feeling towards Ronaldo as a former Utd player (as I'm a fan)

Both are incredible in their own right, sure....every now and then one outshines the other briefly....like right now with Ronaldo over Messi at the WC. But we all know as soon as the season kicks off again, Messi will have tongues wagging in no time.

I feel privileged to have witnessed their careers from the beginning and I suppose if I was given the choice of one I'd pick Ronaldo purely as I'm a bigger fan of his story, I admire his work ethic and style of play. But that's just my 2p

• Futfanatic
    13471 posts Has That Special Something
    Donovan86 wrote: »
    Before I go any further I’m neither a fanboy of both players, I have respect that they both have a tremendous amount of talent, but this guy makes sense and it’s hard not to disagree

Tim and Sid barely make sense when it comes to hockey mate.
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional
    The second I heard the accent I stopped watching
  • Diggy
    13711 posts Has That Special Something
    We are lucky to have such greats in the same era

I rate Ronaldo higher for the same reasons I rate Maradona higher, they both won big trophies with underwhelming teams around them

Ronaldo with Portugal & Maradona with Argentina & Napoli
  • I SiR MartY I
    5568 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 2018
    American pundits are painful to listen to. A lot of them know nothing about the sport and say anything to create drama and get views.

All of the players he mentioned had stars around them both at club level and internationally.

R9 had incredible Brazillian players around him in 94/98/02/06, club level he played for almost every big team at the time including Real Madrid during the Galacticos era.

Zidane had amazing players around him at France, Juve and was part of the Galaticos era.

Ronaldo may have had Carrick and Fletcher in his team but he also had Berba, Rooney, Tevez, Saha, Scholes, Van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Scholes, Keane and more. Internationally, Portugal have always had good teams too, at least up until recent years when they've not had a real striker since Pauleta retired but the team around that is very solid.

Messi is the same, stacked domestically but internationally has always had incompetent managers or biased international picks. Cambiasso and Zanetti didn't make 2010 after winning the treble, Icardi after scoring 29 goals domestically didn't get a call up, instead Argentina have always picked based on reputation, not form.

Not an excuse for Messi, Higuain, Aguero etc are still good players but they've never performed internationall while Garay, Icardi and many more should have made the team to add balance but they weren't called up and as a result are suffering for it.

It doesn't tarnish Messi's legacy. I'm not a fan of him at all but you can't expect one player to do it all when Argentina has always been a mess.
    Post edited by I SiR MartY I on
  • Alex_cr
    5251 posts Big Money Move
    It’s really easy to disagree with these guys! What a load of absolute nonsense!

Yeah, Xavi and Iniesta and David Villa went away and won things.., they went to play with Carlos Puyol, Fernando Torres, David Silva, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Casillas. I could continue but we all know how good Spain were. The players Messi plays with are incomparable. I mean Willy Callebrero is their keeper this year, let that sink in for a minute!

Messi’s legacy will be tarnished but it shouldn’t be. You cannot base a reputation on international football.
  • CharlieC
    6745 posts Big Money Move
    I personally prefer Ronaldo and therefore he is the best.
  • Manutelli
    18783 posts World Class
    Diggy wrote: »

I rate Ronaldo higher for the same reasons I rate Maradona higher, they both won big trophies with underwhelming teams around them

LMAO
  • WarrenBarton
    8054 posts League Winner

What about Quaresma and Nani (who actually played more than 10 minutes of the final)?

You can’t compare CR7 in Euro 2016 to Maradona in WC 1986. Portugal had a better team and CR7 was not Portugal’s best player at that tournament, whereas Maradona basically won it with a very average Argentina side.

It’s a bit like saying Stefan Guivarch was better than Shearer because he won the World Cup and Shearer didn’t.

• FaFiFa
    856 posts Semi-Pro
    It is like in FIFA.Ronaldo will win games with 10 average players, Messi needs stars next to him
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional
    edited June 2018

What about Quaresma and Nani (who actually played more than 10 minutes of the final)?

You can’t compare CR7 in Euro 2016 to Maradona in WC 1986. Portugal had a better team and CR7 was not Portugal’s best player at that tournament, whereas Maradona basically won it with a very average Argentina side.

It’s a bit like saying Stefan Guivarch was better than Shearer because he won the World Cup and Shearer didn’t.

Can’t compare? Lol. Ronaldo scored the two goals that got Portugal out of the group, assist for the winner in q/f. Winner in semi final. Injured in the final. Portugal started the euro 16 with a 37 year old CB and scraped through qualifying thanks to Ronaldo’s goals. Nani is terrible, Queresma inconsistent.

That 2016 triumph is 100% on the same level as Maradona in 86. If you don’t appreciate how Ronaldo dragged Portugal to the win (even trying to motivate when injured) then something is wrong. The fact that you said he wasn’t Portugal’s best player tells you all you need to know. Clueless
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    Both brilliant players. But I'm going to throw someone else into the mix, as best current player, Modric. No one talks about anyone that isn't a forward. Modric is beyond amazing, controlls midfields so easily. Without the likes of Modric, Ronaldo would not be as good. And without playing with Xavi, Iniesta and Suarez Messi would never have been as good as he is.

Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic players but we need to remember who's around them.
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional
    AFC_95 wrote: »
    Both brilliant players. But I'm going to throw someone else into the mix, as best current player, Modric. No one talks about anyone that isn't a forward. Modric is beyond amazing, controlls midfields so easily. Without the likes of Modric, Ronaldo would not be as good. And without playing with Xavi, Iniesta and Suarez Messi would never have been as good as he is.

don't get me wrong, they're fantastic players but we need to remember who's around them.

Yeh 1 has Jose Fonte and Guedes the other has Aguero and Dybala lol
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    BMANUTD wrote: »

don't get me wrong, they're fantastic players but we need to remember who's around them.

Let's not act like Portugal have been good this WC. Lol. Even Ronaldo got a bit lucky against Spain and didn't do much against Morocco.
  • Manutelli
    18783 posts World Class

Can’t compare? Lol. Ronaldo scored the two goals that got Portugal out of the group, assist for the winner in q/f. Winner in semi final. Injured in the final. Portugal started the euro 16 with a 37 year old CB and scraped through qualifying thanks to Ronaldo’s goals. Nani is terrible, Queresma inconsistent.

That 2016 triumph is 100% on the same level as Maradona in 86. If you don’t appreciate how Ronaldo dragged Portugal to the win (even trying to motivate when injured) then something is wrong. The fact that you said he wasn’t Portugal’s best player tells you all you need to know. Clueless

Ahahaha this is just epic :joy: How clueless can people be, this is just pure gold :D
  • Tornado31619
    17387 posts World Class

Completely different players

A better comparison would be Andre Silva and Aguero
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional
    edited June 2018
    Manutelli wrote: »

Ahahaha this is just epic :joy: How clueless can people be, this is just pure gold :D

Great comeback that mate. 10/10.

Let's not act like Portugal have been good this WC. Lol. Even Ronaldo got a bit lucky against Spain and didn't do much against Morocco.

Did nothing mate. Scored 3/4 shots on target against one of the best sides in the world and got the winner in game 2. I think you need to look up what strikers are meant to do.
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional

Completely different players

A better comparison would be Andre Silva and Aguero

You’re missing the irony and sarcasm.
  • Manutelli
    18783 posts World Class

Great posts need great responses don't they? It got what it deserved.
  • Gorda
    3447 posts National Call-Up
    Ronaldo is much better then Messi, Messi cant perform without Barca players helping him and he is no leader that can push his team to play better.
  • BMANUTD
    1460 posts Professional

Great posts need great responses don't they? It got what it deserved.

LMAO

With responses like these I don’t even want to get into a debate with you. Compelling, concise, you’re the man for the big debate.
  • Dinksy
    2080 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ronaldo didn't drag Portugal to their Euros win ffs. he played an important role, but so did most Portuguese players. That was a team effort
  • Retro_G
    29819 posts National Team Captain
    Says it all really, Messi is a fraud at international level. He can't play without a superstar team......

• cmm_1991
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    Donovan86 wrote: »

That white guy :D :D
  • Leeshana
    160 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It isn't a debate anymore

Go have a look at the ground Messi has covered this World Cup, its less than some goalkeepers

Can't do it for his country, Ronaldo doing it by himself at the mo
  • cmm_1991
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    Leeshana wrote: »
    It isn't a debate anymore

Go have a look at the ground Messi has covered this World Cup, its less than some goalkeepers

Can't do it for his country, Ronaldo doing it by himself at the mo

One tournament doesn't make your career
  • Manutelli
    18783 posts World Class
    Only thing Messi and Ronaldo are on par is the goalscoring part. In every single other thing Messi is outperforming Ronaldo.

Yet there are beings that say Ronaldo > Messi because the teams that Ronaldo plays for are stacked and won more prizes.

Thought it was about individual performances rather than what a team does.
  • JohnDoe
    11310 posts Has That Special Something
    Only thing Messi and Ronaldo are on par is the goalscoring part. In every single other thing Messi is outperforming Ronaldo.

Yet there are beings that say Ronaldo > Messi because the teams that Ronaldo plays for are stacked and won more prizes.

Thought it was about individual performances rather than what a team does.

>Portugal
    >stacked

>Argentina
    >not stacked

hmmm