Remove the Contain Button

Comments

• Minty89
    304 posts Sunday League Hero
    Interesting.. I was wondering why when my opponent is running his player's are doing a weird arm pulling action constantly
  • Minty89
    304 posts Sunday League Hero
    FatBaldGuy wrote: »
    I play against a lot of people who just hold down X/A and switch early/abuse auto-switching (option in controller settings) in order to intercept all your passes. It's massive loophole in the defensive functionality of the game and it needs to to be removed or seriously detuned. It seems to be people who switch early on every pass, hold X/A and then quickly press O/B (whilst holding X), it allows them to make a perfect challenge without it requiring any skill whatsoever. It's impossible to get past especially when you're playing against big, tall defenders such as Boateng and Pique.

Thank you for bringing this to issue to light , I have played against this constantly but couldn't understand how it was being done to me, quite a petty way to play but this is FIFA so I'm not surprised
  • Riggs006
    972 posts Professional
    edited June 2018
    Diggy wrote: »
    Nodge86 wrote: »
    I refuse to use it. And it costs me so many games. But I want to play the game. Not sit passively while the AI tackles for me.

This is me too but sometimes my aggressive tackling wins me games so I continue in hope EA make this game more skill based

Yep I'm the same as well, one of my best attributes on FIFA used to be defending, I was always very good at reading what people would do to intercept but now with the constant ping pong passing, dragbacks and 180 swivel low driven shots I struggle more now but I refuse to use contain and PTB. Costs me plenty of games but don't want to play such dull tactics that will bore me to death.
  • SPN1987
    2203 posts Fans' Favourite
    I barely use the contain button tbh. I never practiced it, since I didn't think it wud work. I might do so now. 9 out of 10 tackles I have to make myself. Maybe that's why I was infinitely better at FIFA 16 and at the early stages of this game.
  • maksi
    6650 posts Big Money Move
    edited June 2018
    Contain was not the way to play in previous years but this year they nerfed manual interceptions a lot so the contain button is the way to defend this year otherwise you with leave too much space in your defence.

Too bad i only realised that fact now and got frustrated all those months because i was used the old way to defend with jockeying.
  • maksi
    6650 posts Big Money Move
    And passing being so easy this year there is no way to make constant pressure without contain button.
  • Aqeel87
    2916 posts Fans' Favourite
    AFC_95 wrote: »
    Definitely agree.
    CharlieC wrote: »
    Yes remove contain. I’d vote for you

• letsfifa10
    1452 posts Play-Off Hero
    Aqeel87 wrote: »
    AFC_95 wrote: »
    Definitely agree.
    CharlieC wrote: »
    Yes remove contain. I’d vote for you

Add:

Driven pass/ping pong
    Driven shot
  • Nogin182
    2294 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ya 100%.ruins the game.
  • forearms
    5141 posts Big Money Move
    Seriously have only faced 3 players this WL that didn't abuse contain. Especially around the box, it is entirely holding X, R1 and waiting for the pass to get picked.
  • forearms
    It has now gotten to the point where I don't believe people would even be ABLE to defend without using contain. Every single player just homes in on your player from all over the pitch. No idea who had the moronic suggestion that this button should do all the work for people.
  • mdizzl3
    12418 posts Has That Special Something
    forearms wrote: »
    It has now gotten to the point where I don't believe people would even be ABLE to defend without using contain. Every single player just homes in on your player from all over the pitch. No idea who had the moronic suggestion that this button should do all the work for people.

Don't lose belief, remain strong! Gamers can adapt!
  • HideousCompany
    632 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Agreed. Just remove it. If the player doesn't want to take time to learn how to manually defend why should the players who actually can do it be at a disadvantage?
  • RadioShaq
    16050 posts Moderator
    I think people are over exaggerating contain. I’ve never seen anyone good use it. You are better off manually defending.
  • forearms
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    I think people are over exaggerating contain. I’ve never seen anyone good use it. You are better off manually defending.

The point is it shouldn't even be in the game in the first place. Who cares if no one good uses it. There shouldn't be a button that makes the player movement stick irrelevant.
  • JohnDoe
    11845 posts Has That Special Something

Agreed. This is a bit of a non-issue this year, I'd say.
  • RadioShaq
    16050 posts Moderator

The point is it shouldn't even be in the game in the first place. Who cares if no one good uses it. There shouldn't be a button that makes the player movement stick irrelevant.

When people want to play manual offense it would make sense to remove the defensive help.

If anything defense needs help with how easy offense is playing non manual.
  • forearms

When people want to play manual offense it would make sense to remove the defensive help.

If anything defense needs help with how easy offense is playing non manual.

I think that assisted passing should go as well. But you are 100% bonkers if you think that just holding 1 button to shadow people is something that should be in the game.
  • RadioShaq
    16050 posts Moderator
    I would rather not have either but if offense is going to be non manual it makes sense defense has a contain button even though it’s not that useful.
  • forearms
    edited June 2018
    I would rather not have either but if offense is going to be non manual it makes sense defense has a contain button even though it’s not that useful.

Where's my button on offense? I should be able hold a button and have my player dribble up the pitch evading defenders then as well.

What a great idea. Lets just see who can hold their button down the longest to determine who wins. I mean why have any input at all. Lets let the CPU do it all for us?
  • mdizzl3
    12418 posts Has That Special Something
    I don't tend to use the button myself as I find the defensive positioning isn't great. Much easier to place yourself properly with the analogue stick. I find if I use contain and then tackle immmore likely to concede a foul
  • RadioShaq
    16050 posts Moderator
    Turn on manual offense if you want to see the difference.
  • forearms
    Hey that's fine. I wouldn't mind it. But if your reasoning is that because there are assisted offensive controls therefore we need contain, you couldn't be more wrong.

Lets take it back to week one gameplay. It was easily the most fun I ever had playing FIFA. I would rather lose every game with that gameplay than deal with what we have now.
  • RadioShaq
    16050 posts Moderator
    I don’t see why you would want to unbalance the game is all. I just say if you want defense manual play manual offense and vice versa. Not one or the other.
  • FatZed
    897 posts Semi-Pro
    Manual jockeying should essentially be the contain in FIFA!
  • Nogin182
    2294 posts Fans' Favourite
    Can't believe there's people that are pro contain. It's a big reason why 433 formations have become so useless because containing is over powered out wide. Its killed skill moves. Second man press should also be nerfed.
  • forearms
    I don’t see why you would want to unbalance the game is all. I just say if you want defense manual play manual offense and vice versa. Not one or the other.

What about people like me that like to use skills? Holding contain and jockey basically nullifies most skills. The only one that gets you space is the heel to heel away from goal. I can perform nice roulettes and the player holding L2 and X will just knock them down, and go the other way with the ball. Its absolutely stupid. The amount of times I have thrown up a rainbow flick only to have the opponent just blast into me, blocking me from getting back to the ball, Ive lost count. There is never a foul called because they didn't touch the tackle button. Apparently, according to you, that is the way it should be.
    FatZed wrote: »
    Manual jockeying should essentially be the contain in FIFA!

Agree with this.
  • agentxyz2
    823 posts Professional
    1. Tune down Assisted passes
    2. Make Manual interceptions more viable
    3. Remove/reduce AI contain ability (make people actually engage in 1v1 dribbling vs defending)
    4. Lower low Driven/shooting assistance

Having AI mark and intercept for you is fair but having them swallow up and limit the unassisted creativity of dribbling makes a dull game
  • Low Ki
    12305 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 2018
    maksi wrote: »
    Halfhand2 wrote: »
    If they removed auto tackle of any kind, would really bring a balance back to the game.

Make people actually tackle again.
    because manual tackling is broken, ball is bouncing back to attacker most of the time, no auto tackle would be a total mess

auto tackles is just a gameplay patch to make game even playable

Call me crazy but I feel there’s no such thing as true 50/50’s or loose balls in this game or scrambling to a ball spilling into open space.... it always falls to someone’s feet. Always.

I swear I watch the ball often curve randomly to fall to predetermined players or change trajectory slightly to allow others to get it.

Apparently this is realism and how a proper game of football works. I think at its core this is why contain and random deflections make the game so bad....you always know the call will just fall to someone rather than risk a ball spilling into a dangerous area.
  • forearms
    edited June 2018
    Nogin182 wrote: »
    Can't believe there's people that are pro contain. It's a big reason why 433 formations have become so useless because containing is over powered out wide. Its killed skill moves. Second man press should also be nerfed.

Well said. I will disagree on the second man press though. Unfortunately, it is needed as otherwise players could just pass and play keep away all day long. It isn't my favorite either, but it is needed.
    Low Ki wrote: »
    maksi wrote: »
    Halfhand2 wrote: »
    If they removed auto tackle of any kind, would really bring a balance back to the game.

Make people actually tackle again.
    because manual tackling is broken, ball is bouncing back to attacker most of the time, no auto tackle would be a total mess

auto tackles is just a gameplay patch to make game even playable

Call me crazy but I feel there’s no such thing as true 50/50’s or loose balls in this game or scrambling to a ball spilling into open space.... it always falls to someone’s feet. Always.

I swear I watch the ball often curve randomly to fall to predetermined players or change trajectory slightly to allow others to get it.

Apparently this is realism and how a proper game of football works. I think at its core this is why contain and random deflections make the game so bad....you always know the call will just fall to someone rather than risk a ball spilling into a dangerous area.

absolutely true