The 4231 formation guide (Gameplay video added)

Comments

• selb
    6807 posts Big Money Move
    Salama wrote: »
    selb wrote: »
    Evening guys, hope FIFA is treating you well.

My last team was absolutely shocking! I don't know why, how or what but it was horrific! I know it may have been to servers/connection but my team before it was really good, this time they sluggish, passing was awful, runs and movement were terrible, I had my worst start to a WL ever with 5 wins out of 9!

So I've changed my team again!

[img][/img]Companion_2018-06-09-21-11-25.png.

In game

[img][/img]Companion_2018-06-09-21-11-48.png.

I've played a few games with it so far and it's sooo much better, Firmino is performing way better than Aguero did, his runs and link up play are far and above Aguero, 95 Neymar feels soo much better than the 94 for some reason and Talisca is really helping in the build up of attacks (I think my last partnership was too defensive), this team just feels so much better than what I had, CT and PI have stayed the same, except Talisca who is left on default defence PI.

What do you think guys?

Whatever works man. TOTS Talisca is a machine - actually pretty similar to TOTS Firmino. As long as you don't struggle in defence, he's definitely a great help in buildup, and 99 long shots - what can I say. I still might swap Talisca and Gullit though: Talisca is the perfect CAM, Gullit is the perfect box to box midfielder.

Before you rage sell, 5 games might be just a losing streak, bad connection, whatever. But do what feels right.

I tried them for 10 games and it just wasnt working, i even tried adjusting my CT but, I dunno why, it just didn't click with me. Talisca seems great though, even at CDM, he bullied Prime Gullit in my last game which surprised me, I can't swap them around right now though as Gullit at CAM is just killing it, getting at least 2 goals a game. I may, at sone point, swap them to see how they do but im happy atm, thanks for the advice though
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    DougInskip wrote: »
    @Salama how’s Bday Peres?

FBD Peres is kind of unpredictable, attacking, but also wins the ball back often and definitely one if my favorite players. It's good to have attacking fullbacks with so many opponents playing narrow attack.
  • Chalmo
    538 posts An Exciting Prospect
    DougInskip wrote: »
    @Salama how’s Bday Peres?

FBD Peres is kind of unpredictable, attacking, but also wins the ball back often and definitely one if my favorite players. It's good to have attacking fullbacks with so many opponents playing narrow attack.

@Salama I totally agree? One of my favorite player too. A shame that I had to say good-bye to him for Walker. Couldn't fit Bruno P anymore with the changes I made to my team.
  • selb
    Which custom tactics are you using?

I'm gonna try these two out tonight

Organised
    Organised
    Cover

Organised
    Free form
    Cover

I may even try a combination of the two
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    I've been giving 4231 wide a chance against wider formations like 4411, 442, 451, 433, to keep my wingers more available for defence. It's my starting formation anyway so I just leave it as it is. Seems to work fine. If it doesn't, I change to narrow or my plan B 41212-2.
  • selb
    I've been giving 4231 wide a chance against wider formations like 4411, 442, 451, 433, to keep my wingers more available for defence. It's my starting formation anyway so I just leave it as it is. Seems to work fine. If it doesn't, I change to narrow or my plan B 41212-2.

I was thinking of trying the wide variant too, especially against players who play super narrow, give to the wings as they'll be in acres of space
  • helde2
    53 posts Park Captain
    TOTS Werner or TOTS Batshuayi as ST in 4231 Narrow, My CAM is Sane, Reus and Mahrez,
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    helde2 wrote: »
    TOTS Werner or TOTS Batshuayi as ST in 4231 Narrow, My CAM is Sane, Reus and Mahrez,

I think you can use any kind of striker. Some prefer fast agile weak strikers, some big slow target man type. Whatever works for you really.
  • Dragon007
    471 posts An Exciting Prospect

I was thinking of trying the wide variant too, especially against players who play super narrow, give to the wings as they'll be in acres of space

I thought the same but you end up 4 on wing vs their 2 and while it helps to counterattack its' 4 vs 6 in center and i get destroyed.
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional

Dragon007 wrote: »

I thought the same but you end up 4 on wing vs their 2 and while it helps to counterattack its' 4 vs 6 in center and i get destroyed.

Yeah I would rather use 4231 narrow against narrow formations like 41212 or 4321. 2 cdms will be the best defence, and 4231 narrow is better and faster offensively. Or 4222 if you like it.

Somehow 4312 has been wrecking my defence lately, with fast TOTS strikers or Zaha.
  • Whufc
    1379 posts Play-Off Hero
    I’ve never used this formation I started with 41212 got bored went 3412 then 352 currently using 41212(2) but feel a change is due I don’t have much coins 50k or many players to sell

I do have a few decent untradeables I’ve built this team
    Will it work in this formation?
    If not what changes could I make

70_DC9_B5_C_2_B96_4_EEA_94_DA_31820_BBBC21_F.png
    CD59_A157_82_B9_4_E2_D_A430_7_B5_C249879_A1.jpg
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    edited June 2018
    Whufc wrote: »
    I’ve never used this formation I started with 41212 got bored went 3412 then 352 currently using 41212(2) but feel a change is due I don’t have much coins 50k or many players to sell

I do have a few decent untradeables I’ve built this team
    Will it work in this formation?
    If not what changes could I make

70_DC9_B5_C_2_B96_4_EEA_94_DA_31820_BBBC21_F.png
    CD59_A157_82_B9_4_E2_D_A430_7_B5_C249879_A1.jpg

Looks great! With all the TOTS players out there you might find a better striker optipn at some point.
  • Blahblahblah92
    72 posts Park Captain
    What CTs and PIs are people using for this formation lads? Some games flow well and others don't I know that's just fifa in general for the last couple of years like but it just feels a bit more off than usual
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    What CTs and PIs are people using for this formation lads? Some games flow well and others don't I know that's just fifa in general for the last couple of years like but it just feels a bit more off than usual

Some use slower CTs with ~30 speed and passing, some balanced, some faster attack style 60-70. Just scroll a few pages back. One or both cdms stay back, attacker get in behind if you like, and if the opponent attacks wide, fullbacks stay back too.

I find that 4231 works against some formations and play styles better than others. It's a great counter for the meta narrow 41212 since it blocks the area in front of your penalty box, and wide cams can go around the crowded midfield.
  • selb

Ive been using some more balanced CT, see my post from a page or 2 ago, I have 1 CDM stay back and cut passing, the other balanced and cut passing, everything else is balanced/default
  • Blahblahblah92
    72 posts Park Captain
    Will do lads cheers j can't bring myself to play 41212 at all had a huge break from fifa come back last weekend so still getting used to it again I suppose hahaha don't think I have the patience for fifa anymore though to be honest
  • selb
    How should Up lay 4231?
    My striker is never involved

What CT and PI are you using?
  • selb
    How should Up lay 4231?

All on standard

I never have any issues with my ST getting involved in play, who you using as ST?
  • selb
    How should Up lay 4231?

All on standard

I never have any issues with my ST getting involved in play, who you using as ST?

AGüero tots

You finally got him then? I had this issue with TOTS Aguero too, he never got involved in much build up play and was very rarely in a position to score, maybe this formation just isn't suited to him
  • DicaniosGod
    5373 posts Big Money Move
    How should Up lay 4231?

All on standard

AGüero tots

You finally got him then? I had this issue with TOTS Aguero too, he never got involved in much build up play and was very rarely in a position to score, maybe this formation just isn't suited to him

Maybe I’m doing something wrong

Try him at L CAM see how he goes then, with maybe a strong taller targetman up front?

• Chalmo
    Hey @StrikeForce01 @selb

I have the same problem for some time now. My 3 CAM are the players the more involved in the build up play and the Goals/Assist ratio. Especially TOTS Dybala as Left CAM and TOTS De Bruyne as Center CAM.
    My TOTS Aguero is playing Right CAM. He's doing ok but I have to admit that I was expecting better from the TOTS version. Still a wonderful player tho.

And at Striker position, I used to have Icardi but he was not very involved. So I was quite disapointed... I just change to Firmino whom I heard a lot of good things. Better than Icardi but still... Not very involved. At least, not like I'm expecting him to. Sometimes I switch with Aguero and it's the same story. It's ok, no problem but less involved than the CAM.

So I guess it's about my play style. Afterall, I can't complain. I mean, all the players don't have to be involved in the same time in every game. It's just that Dybala and KdB are more often in the spotlight than the others.

Next try will be Mertens instead of Firmino. I will play him at ST or Right CAM (I'll switch with Aguero, I'll see).
  • nextqprmanager
    3350 posts National Call-Up
    Should I play firmino up top and agüero rcam? Lcam is Son tots ccam is adp prime

Firmino should be better ccam than Aguero due to wr
    maybe with Aguero - set him to f9 ?
  • selb
    Should I play firmino up top and agüero rcam? Lcam is Son tots ccam is adp prime

Firmino should be better ccam than Aguero due to wr
    maybe with Aguero - set him to f9 ?

I think TOTS Firmino is the perfect ST, he's strong, tall enough, fast enough and a good finisher, I've got him as lone ST and I think his workrates help to get him involved more, he drops a bit deeper meaning he can help more in the build up phase, that's how he plays for me anyway
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    How should Up lay 4231?

Is it a problem really, if you're winning? My 3 CAMs and striker share the workload. I can never get 1.00+ goal ratios with this formation - more like 0.5-0.7 for striker and CCAM and 0.3-0.4 for wide CAMs. Also my Fabinho at LCAM scores more than 0.1 per game.

Firmino ST / Talisca CCAM has been great. Both can hold the ball while the other runs, and both finish from near and far.
  • selb
    How should Up lay 4231?

Is it a problem really, if you're winning? My 3 CAMs and striker share the workload. I can never get 1.00+ goal ratios with this formation - more like 0.5-0.7 for striker and CCAM and 0.3-0.4 for wide CAMs. Also my Fabinho at LCAM scores more than 0.1 per game.

Firmino ST / Talisca CCAM has been great. Both can hold the ball while the other runs, and both finish from near and far.

Yeah i have this also, my ST and CAMs share a lot of the goals, I don't think I've ever had one of them that's had more than 0.8 goal to game ratio even though I'm scoring 3+ goals per game.

@Salama are you playing Firmino at ST and Talisca CCAM? I've been thinking of switching Talisca and Gullit in my team, they play CDM and CCAM respectively.
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    How should Up lay 4231?

@Salama are you playing Firmino at ST and Talisca CCAM? I've been thinking of switching Talisca and Gullit in my team, they play CDM and CCAM respectively.

I think you can't go wrong either way. Gullit is probably stronger defensively.
  • selb
    How should Up lay 4231?

I think you can't go wrong either way. Gullit is probably stronger defensively.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I'll try it, see how it goes
  • selb
    So should I set firmino as st and agüero as rcam?

?

Why don't you try it yourself? Swap them in game if you have to just to try it
  • Chalmo
    How should Up lay 4231?

Yeah I agree with you @Salama [email protected]
    At first, I was like « Damn, my striker has less than 1.0 »
    But then I realize that my whole team was equally involved and I’m ok with it. And I think Firmino is a good choice at STsince he can hold the ball, give a good pass back, score from outside the box, score headers, and enough pace ... Complete forward.

I guess he earned his spot in my team and I really enjoy playing the game at the moment :)
  • selb
    Chalmo wrote: »
    How should Up lay 4231?

Yeah I agree with you @Salama [email protected]
    At first, I was like « Damn, my striker has less than 1.0 »
    But then I realize that my whole team was equally involved and I’m ok with it. And I think Firmino is a good choice at STsince he can hold the ball, give a good pass back, score from outside the box, score headers, and enough pace ... Complete forward.

I guess he earned his spot in my team and I really enjoy playing the game at the moment :)

Do you think ram is quality agüero tots and firmino as dt

Look @StrikeForce01, we can all sit here and say this and that, Aguero is great at ST or Firmino is better at CCAM or both are rubbish, we all have different playstyles so the best thing to do in you situation is to try it, try Aguero at RCAM, try Firmino at ST, you've already got the players so it's up to you to try them in the positions and see what you prefer.

If you want my opinion, which you did coz you pm'd me, I would not have got Aguero, you already have Firmino and had Neymar, who imo are better and more fun to use, I made the mistake of selling some of my better players just coz Aguero looked like a great card, once I played him I realised that he doesn't suit how I play so I sold him and brought back players I was happy and having fun with.