Comments

• Hodor
    1399 posts Play-Off Hero
    Bowden92 wrote: »
    Hodor wrote: »
    I moved down South - basically another world :joy:

but to contribute slightly....do it. Why not? A fair few of my friends moved away and i don't think any of them regret it. If you're in a position to do it then it's better trying sooner rather than later. If you don't like it....just move back and re-start

My only obstacle really is finding a job, but as I'm in an industry now where I feel comfortable and confident of finding work abroad (Especially as I hear there's a shortage of IT in Spain) Once I've got another year or 2 experience under my belt and can get by with the language, I'm going for it, there's nothing in the world to stop me :)

As you say, why not ! I want to and I feel I can, so I'm definitely commited to giving it a go, with a plan B in place just incase.
    cater to the needs of the area you're visiting. Misewell start having a look now at what jobs are most in demand - then you can start training and gearing yourself towards that specific direction. That's what good about IT...it can lead to anywhere really.

If your current workplace is keen for you to learn...try to get onto a PRINCE or ITIL course. Both beneficial when trying to secure a role.

I've been looking over the last week or two at exactly "what" IT jobs seem to be specifically in demand over there, so I can steer myself towards that more rather than in any general IT direction. But it is an industry which I'm happy to be in for the reasons you mentioned, thanks for the heads up, I'll do a little research on those now, are you in IT ?

No worries mate. Yeah, for the past couple of years i have. Studies comp forensics in uni now im doing a job in IT which doesn't include any of those skills really haha. Best thing about IT.

Been doing incident/problem/change management on some secure projects really
  • Antparry92
    20891 posts Club Captain
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Do you play football or have any hobbies etc? (Other than FIFA :trollface: )

Is browsing the forum a hobby :*

Nah I don't play football mate but I go to gym, have done for a few years, absolutely love it, that's by far my biggest hobby/interest.

Best thing to do is join some sort of club to meet new people. My brother lives out in the states and started playing in a ‘rec’ league at the ripe age of 37 after playing semi pro over here. Loved it. Made new friends and one of his team mates even offered him a job and it’s lead to him doing a degree as a mature student
  • Bowden92
    6072 posts Big Money Move

but to contribute slightly....do it. Why not? A fair few of my friends moved away and i don't think any of them regret it. If you're in a position to do it then it's better trying sooner rather than later. If you don't like it....just move back and re-start

My only obstacle really is finding a job, but as I'm in an industry now where I feel comfortable and confident of finding work abroad (Especially as I hear there's a shortage of IT in Spain) Once I've got another year or 2 experience under my belt and can get by with the language, I'm going for it, there's nothing in the world to stop me :)

As you say, why not ! I want to and I feel I can, so I'm definitely commited to giving it a go, with a plan B in place just incase.
    cater to the needs of the area you're visiting. Misewell start having a look now at what jobs are most in demand - then you can start training and gearing yourself towards that specific direction. That's what good about IT...it can lead to anywhere really.

If your current workplace is keen for you to learn...try to get onto a PRINCE or ITIL course. Both beneficial when trying to secure a role.

I've been looking over the last week or two at exactly "what" IT jobs seem to be specifically in demand over there, so I can steer myself towards that more rather than in any general IT direction. But it is an industry which I'm happy to be in for the reasons you mentioned, thanks for the heads up, I'll do a little research on those now, are you in IT ?

No worries mate. Yeah, for the past couple of years i have. Studies comp forensics in uni now im doing a job in IT which doesn't include any of those skills really haha. Best thing about IT.

Sounds interesting man. Oh I've heard that about alot of people that went to uni haha, ah well, at least you're doing something good in your line of work, regardless, it's a good industry to be in imo, plenty of room to grow and learn.
  • Bowden92
    Do you play football or have any hobbies etc? (Other than FIFA :trollface: )

Is browsing the forum a hobby :*

Nah I don't play football mate but I go to gym, have done for a few years, absolutely love it, that's by far my biggest hobby/interest.

Best thing to do is join some sort of club to meet new people. My brother lives out in the states and started playing in a ‘rec’ league at the ripe age of 37 after playing semi pro over here. Loved it. Made new friends and one of his team mates even offered him a job and it’s lead to him doing a degree as a mature student

I would definitely get involved mate, 100%, just like you're saying, it opens MANY doors, whether it's down to just making a few mates, boosting your social life or completely changing your life, there isn't really a downside to getting heavily involved in what you can, I look forward to that side of it, kind of a new life.
  • Antparry92
    20891 posts Club Captain
    I wish I was interested in IT to an extent. Seems so easy to get a job in any field after graduating with it. I done Marine biology and there are literally no jobs here for it so I’m now on the verge of being a qualified teacher, and this thread has me thinking whether it’s something I want to carry on doing or not
  • Hodor
    1399 posts Play-Off Hero

Sounds interesting man. Oh I've heard that about alot of people that went to uni haha, ah well, at least you're doing something good in your line of work, regardless, it's a good industry to be in imo, plenty of room to grow and learn.

Yeah exactly, my company wants me to do as much trying as possible and it's all funded. Quite alot are the same...so just find a decent place and you're pretty much sorted
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018
    I wish I was interested in IT to an extent. Seems so easy to get a job in any field after graduating with it. I done Marine biology and there are literally no jobs here for it so I’m now on the verge of being a qualified teacher, and this thread has me thinking whether it’s something I want to carry on doing or not

Mate, I started in IT 4 months ago, I had a railway background until then ! I just thought, there are sooo many opportunities for jobs allover the world in or related to IT, I joined a few forums regarding moving to Spain and stuff and everybody was like "You'll struggle to find work, unless you're in an industry like IT", I just thought I'm doing it, I wanna have the best chance at moving and I'm so glad I made the switch, I love my job and IT.

Do what feels right for you, it's never too late or a waste if it's something YOU want.
  • Summer69
    1538 posts Play-Off Hero
    I moved from England to wales on my own and it was abit of a culture shock but I got used to it after a while and learnt the lingo :D

but yeh definitely get involved as its the best way to make friends as if you just end up on your own you will defo end up moving back. Trying to find a house share to start is good as well as hopefully you'll meet some people that way and it makes it cheaper on the rent
  • Shaanxz
    24061 posts Club Captain
    Wouldn’t really recommend Spain
  • Bowden92
    Summer69 wrote: »
    I moved from England to wales on my own and it was abit of a culture shock but I got used to it after a while and learnt the lingo :D

but yeh definitely get involved as its the best way to make friends as if you just end up on your own you will defo end up moving back. Trying to find a house share to start is good as well as hopefully you'll meet some people that way and it makes it cheaper on the rent

I'd definitely get involved, wouldn't make sense to me to go out there and not enjoy meeting new people and getting involved in the culture.
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018
    Shaanxz wrote: »

Not every country is for every person.
  • Summer69
    1538 posts Play-Off Hero
    hows your espanol? worth downloading an app or getting some books to brush up but sounds like a nice lifetsyle change - hope it works out for you mate!
  • Bowden92
    hows your espanol? worth downloading an app or getting some books to brush up but sounds like a nice lifetsyle change - hope it works out for you mate!

I was learning Spanish, did like half an hour a day everyday for about 3 months, but I hit a bad spell mentally and I couldn't cope with most things, so learning Spanish totally got left alone. I 100% plan on being able to have a conversation in Spanish before moving, I wouldn't go without knowing it.

Thanks man appreciate it :)
  • Summer69
    1538 posts Play-Off Hero
    de nada!
  • Bowden92
    de nada!

Do you know abit or was that from Google :* haha
  • Summer69
    1538 posts Play-Off Hero
    I wasn't confident it was right!

something I remember from gcse Spanish 15 years ago, I went to spain a couple of months back so used a bit then, proper basic - hello, good morning/evening, I would like and then point at the menu, how much, where etc
  • Bowden92
    I wasn't confident it was right!

something I remember from gcse Spanish 15 years ago, I went to spain a couple of months back so used a bit then, proper basic - hello, good morning/evening, I would like and then point at the menu, how much, where etc

Ye I know what you mean man, English is like the second language of the world so were lucky in that respect, I found in Spain alot, when I "tried" with Spanish and gave my best shot at speaking their language and showed the effort that they would be more accepting and give that back, either by losing their accent or saying mainly English words etc, which is helpful for somebody who isn't fluent.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    edited June 2018
    Spanish is very difficult to me. Especially when you know some French. I mix them up all the time :joy:
  • Bowden92
    Santiago wrote: »
    Spanish is very difficult to me. Especially when you know some French. I mix them up all the time :joy:

I find Spanish quite hard too ! I find the whole masculin/feminine variations of words confusing.
  • Orison
    74373 posts Icon

Yeah, but there aren't many countries where the difference between nice holidays and god help me if I live there is quite as big as in Spain :trollface: but maybe it's an experience you have to make for yourself and maybe you will like it haha
  • Bowden92
    edited June 2018
    Orison wrote: »

Yeah, but there aren't many countries where the difference between nice holidays and god help me if I live there is quite as big as in Spain :trollface: but maybe it's an experience you have to make for yourself and maybe you will like it haha

From what I've found on the forums I'm a member of with expats on, there are the realistic commentors who specifically point out to people who think "Spain, cheap and sunny, I'm going to live there" that it isn't like that, so I understand the view point, however, I'm not one of those, it's early stages but I'm certainly well researched.

Everybody is different, we all want different things for different reasons. I have mine and this is what I want, it's well thought about. I'm not saying I'll instantly settle and fall in love with it, but I want to do it and I'm gearing my life towards trying.
  • VICTAAAA
    11240 posts Has That Special Something
    for those who have moved as individuals, if you made your move after college/university did you have a job lined up? if not, how was the job process?

i've been trying to locate a job in HK for a while now but all my friends have said it'll be much easier once i'm there but i'm a bit wary of burning through my savings as i'll only have 5-6 months of runway.
  • Bowden92
    VICTAAAA wrote: »
    for those who have moved as individuals, if you made your move after college/university did you have a job lined up? if not, how was the job process?

i've been trying to locate a job in HK for a while now but all my friends have said it'll be much easier once i'm there but i'm a bit wary of burning through my savings as i'll only have 5-6 months of runway.

Alot of people always say it's easier/better to get jobs while you're there, but I guess if you're 100% commited to it, with the social aspect of life today with things like Skype, it's probably not a HUGE issue, I think if you really really want it, then it's a possibility.

Alternatively, you could go on a 2 week holiday or something and make the whole point of it to job hunt, instead of committing to 6 months, potentially jobless.
  • VICTAAAA

Alot of people always say it's easier/better to get jobs while you're there, but I guess if you're 100% commited to it, with the social aspect of life today with things like Skype, it's probably not a HUGE issue, I think if you really really want it, then it's a possibility.

Alternatively, you could go on a 2 week holiday or something and make the whole point of it to job hunt, instead of committing to 6 months, potentially jobless.

yea, i ran the gambit of scenarios and i think i'll need to just commit. will require me to quit my job and not have a safety net in terms of money. i'm lucky to have friends and family out there but living there on a one way ticket is much different than a semester abroad or a 2 week vacation, hence my hesitation. i just need to take the plunge.
  • Bowden92

yea, i ran the gambit of scenarios and i think i'll need to just commit. will require me to quit my job and not have a safety net in terms of money. i'm lucky to have friends and family out there but living there on a one way ticket is much different than a semester abroad or a 2 week vacation, hence my hesitation. i just need to take the plunge.

If that's what you really want then go for it mate, but also, don't rush or force yourself into it, make sure it's 100% the move you want to make, otherwise that small amount of doubt will make the flight over just the start of a potentially bad experience.
  • VICTAAAA
    @Bowden92

I have news! There’s a decent chance I got a new job in HK! Hopefully I can check off this life goal of mine very soon. How are things on your end? :smile:
  • Primal
    11557 posts Has That Special Something
    toonbalmy wrote: »
    I moved to the USA (El Paso) from Darlington :D and yeah i don't regret moving over here warm weather all year round nice pleasant people

@toonbalmy Just caught this thread. wow Darlington and USA must be insanely different. bet you still miss the parmos ha
  • toonbalmy
    2849 posts Fans' Favourite
    Primal wrote: »
    toonbalmy wrote: »
    I moved to the USA (El Paso) from Darlington :D and yeah i don't regret moving over here warm weather all year round nice pleasant people

@toonbalmy Just caught this thread. wow Darlington and USA must be insanely different. bet you still miss the parmos ha

Haha yeah not to much when i get a craving i make it myself :D:D
  • Davey Sprockett
    4366 posts National Call-Up
    Why are you running away?

I have this theory that expats are just people that [email protected] it all up at home, burned all bridges with everyone, are probably perverts, and want to get away to safety where nobody knows how much of a deviant they are.

It's the only explanation that makes any sense to me, home is home, it's where there's friends, family, work, and community.

To want to leave is to admit you failed at fitting in, and you want to skidaddle before you become a pariah.
  • UpstartCaesar
    3177 posts National Call-Up
    Why are you running away?

I have this theory that expats are just people that [email protected] it all up at home, burned all bridges with everyone, are probably perverts, and want to get away to safety where nobody knows how much of a deviant they are.

It's the only explanation that makes any sense to me, home is home, it's where there's friends, family, work, and community.

To want to leave is to admit you failed at fitting in, and you want to skidaddle before you become a pariah.

What's the issue with someone moving because they haven't fit in?

Your theory is bizarre