Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Ahmer50x
    18175 posts World Class
    edited May 2018
    G000ner wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Arteta withdrew over your transfer policy :lol:

From what I'm reading, we saw it as too much of a risk and never actually offered him the job. But he's right to have his concerns- shows the man has self-respect. Not sure about Unai Emery tbh. That kinda came out of nowhere.

And Santi is leaving :'(. I will miss him

"Former Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta was in the frame but withdrew from the process on Monday. He is understood to have wanted assurances over the role he will play in Arsenal's transfer policy before agreeing to join the club as head coach." - Sky

"Emery is happy to work within the management structure that Gazidis has put in place at the Emirates Stadium –in which there are prominent recruitment roles for Raúl Sanllehí and Sven Mislintat." -The Guardian

Seems to me like you got your second choice because of the structure.

Emery will be interesting, but I have some doubts about him inspiring you too much as a club.
  • Retro_G
    29193 posts Player of the Year
    No_NaMe wrote: »
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Players I’d sell in the summer;

Iwobi
    Xhaka
    Mustafi
    Welbeck
    Ospina
    Chambers
    Holding
    Lucas Perez
    Campbell

Apparently Ramsey might be off as well.
    We need at least 7-8 players in the summer.

The rebuilding process is the worst, could be ten years before you become a relevant club again, that's if it even happens. You could be another Liverpool. I can't see you attracting an elite manager, it's an even bigger job than what José has at the moment.

Think we could still easily attract most managers tbh, any of the prem top 6 can. If the board don’t change the spending patterns then I can’t see us competing for anything.
    edwinstree wrote: »
    This mantra of "not being able to attract world-class managers" is a myth.

Of course things like missing out on the Champions League will make things more difficult but the money and spotlight on the PL today is so great that the Top 6 clubs can attract almost anyone - the exceptions being any manager who's currently with another top European side and doing well.

From what I've seen it looks like it'll be Ancelotti but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Arsenal got someone like Allegri or Löw.
    Gervonta wrote: »
    I’d pick Jardim over anyone else tbh, has shown he doesn’t require the ridiculous spending to compete. But then again someone like Ancelotti or Allegri could bully the board into spending.

I agree with Jardim. He’s only 43 so could be there for s long time. Played brilliant football with Monaco and picked up some gems like lemar , Mendy and bakayoko back when he was good. Mbappe he had playing brilliant and even got falcao back to his best last season.

Ancelloti would be good but would just be a short term fix to a long term problem.

:D
  • G000ner
    4218 posts National Call-Up

From what I'm reading, we saw it as too much of a risk and never actually offered him the job. But he's right to have his concerns- shows the man has self-respect. Not sure about Unai Emery tbh. That kinda came out of nowhere.

"Former Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta was in the frame but withdrew from the process on Monday. He is understood to have wanted assurances over the role he will play in Arsenal's transfer policy before agreeing to join the club as head coach." - Sky

"Emery is happy to work within the management structure that Gazidis has put in place at the Emirates Stadium –in which there are prominent recruitment roles for Raúl Sanllehí and Sven Mislintat." -The Guardian

Emery will be interesting, but I have some doubts about him inspiring you too much as a club.

Ornstein said otherwise. on radio 5 live he mentioned how Arteta was excited about the possibility of managing Arsenal, no mention of him pulling out. I value Ornstein's opinion above anyone's since he actually has sources inside the club. Sky regularly post **** for views
  • G000ner
    edited May 2018

something tells me kroenke had the final say
  • Ahmer50x
    18175 posts World Class

Ornstein said otherwise. on radio 5 live he mentioned how Arteta was excited about the possibility of managing Arsenal, no mention of him pulling out. I value Ornstein's opinion above anyone's since he actually has sources inside the club. Sky regularly post **** for views

Fair enough. Just feels like you got the guy who was conveniently out of contract and did well with limited resources rather than someone genuinely inspiring or a serial winner.

Like, Emery was never on my radar as a potential Mourinho replacement, for example. He's not a manager that makes me particularly jealous.
  • Gervonta
    3837 posts National Call-Up

Iwobi
    Xhaka
    Mustafi
    Welbeck
    Ospina
    Chambers
    Holding
    Lucas Perez
    Campbell

The rebuilding process is the worst, could be ten years before you become a relevant club again, that's if it even happens. You could be another Liverpool. I can't see you attracting an elite manager, it's an even bigger job than what José has at the moment.

Think we could still easily attract most managers tbh, any of the prem top 6 can. If the board don’t change the spending patterns then I can’t see us competing for anything.

Of course things like missing out on the Champions League will make things more difficult but the money and spotlight on the PL today is so great that the Top 6 clubs can attract almost anyone - the exceptions being any manager who's currently with another top European side and doing well.

From what I've seen it looks like it'll be Ancelotti but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Arsenal got someone like Allegri or Löw.
    I’d pick Jardim over anyone else tbh, has shown he doesn’t require the ridiculous spending to compete. But then again someone like Ancelotti or Allegri could bully the board into spending.

I agree with Jardim. He’s only 43 so could be there for s long time. Played brilliant football with Monaco and picked up some gems like lemar , Mendy and bakayoko back when he was good. Mbappe he had playing brilliant and even got falcao back to his best last season.

Ancelloti would be good but would just be a short term fix to a long term problem.

What’s wrong with unai? I’d much rather have unai who can play attacking football than be bored every game like we are with Maureen.

• Retro_G
    76ng9.jpg
    I had enough of wenger 5 years ago. We won couple of tin-pot trophies and a few good signings and everyone thinks that he is messiah. Please GTFO Ancelloti IN!

:joy:
  • Ahmer50x
    18175 posts World Class

Iwobi
    Xhaka
    Mustafi
    Welbeck
    Ospina
    Chambers
    Holding
    Lucas Perez
    Campbell

What’s wrong with unai? I’d much rather have unai who can play attacking football than be bored every game like we are with Maureen.

Just because we'd rather have someone than Mourinho doesn't mean they are a good appointment.

Emery comes with loads of question marks. He won 3 straight Europa Leagues at Sevilla, but has anyone wondered why they kept ending up in the Europa League? He also lost a one horse race to Monaco last year. I know it was a great Monaco team, but PSG still have no excuses not to be winning Ligue 1.

From what I'm hearing about Arsenal's budget for the summer, the relative state of their squad, and Emery's merits as a manager, I don't see Arsenal finishing top 4 next year.
  • SDoofus
    5068 posts Big Money Move
    @Rhodesia banned? What a joke
  • G000ner

Fair enough. Just feels like you got the guy who was conveniently out of contract and did well with limited resources rather than someone genuinely inspiring or a serial winner.

Like, Emery was never on my radar as a potential Mourinho replacement, for example. He's not a manager that makes me particularly jealous.

Yep, it definitely is a bit underwhelming. in some ways it does feel convenient, but that's also the reason why it might actually be a great appointment for us. it's unrealistic to think any manager would be able make us world beaters anyway. hiring someone like Ancelotti wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Right now we just need someone who can make us competitive again and Emery could do that. Seems to demand more of his players than Wenger does, which should be a good thing. Also is friends with Guardiola and dislikes Mourinho- so he's a good guy :blush:

I think a lot of people are selling Emery short as well. the man won 3 europa leagues in a row with Sevilla ffs. 3 in a row!
  • G000ner
    I'd rather him than Arteta anyway, it's too soon for him. Though I think we may have put Arteta off the job for life :D

• Kman
    2915 posts Fans' Favourite
    SDoofus wrote: »
    @Rhodesia banned? What a joke

Lol what for
  • Gervonta

Iwobi
    Xhaka
    Mustafi
    Welbeck
    Ospina
    Chambers
    Holding
    Lucas Perez
    Campbell

Just because we'd rather have someone than Mourinho doesn't mean they are a good appointment.

Emery comes with loads of question marks. He won 3 straight Europa Leagues at Sevilla, but has anyone wondered why they kept ending up in the Europa League? He also lost a one horse race to Monaco last year. I know it was a great Monaco team, but PSG still have no excuses not to be winning Ligue 1.

From what I'm hearing about Arsenal's budget for the summer, the relative state of their squad, and Emery's merits as a manager, I don't see Arsenal finishing top 4 next year.

If fairness Sevilla weren’t exactly banked rolled by some billionaire they lost their best players near enough every year first navas and negredo then rakitic and bacca and he still managed to bring in people like gamerio and win 3 EL’s.

Probably kept ending up in the EL because they didn’t focus entirely on the league they wanted European glory. Like Liverpool this season their main focus has been the CL.
  • Retro_G
    I had enough of wenger 5 years ago. We won couple of tin-pot trophies and a few good signings and everyone thinks that he is messiah. Please GTFO Ancelloti IN!

Carlo isn't a good fit for you. He's excellent at keeping a club going on autopilot: takes training, doesn't ruffle any feathers, and names solid teams.

You need someone to rebuild your club. I'd honestly be all over Tuchel or Conte in the summer if I were you guys. (Tuchel may not be an option though because he fell out with your de-facto Director of Football Sven Mislintat iirc)

You really thought they had a chance at a high profile manager like Conte? You must have the IQ of a crumb of toast.
  • Ahmer50x
    18175 posts World Class
    M4YON wrote: »

Fair assessment for a #JoseOut campaign here. I think he'll get one more season regardless of what people want and then he'll be gone.

- His football philosophy is dire its like LVG football but with more paranoia.

- He has out top young players losing confidence , wanting to leave and most importantly going the wrong way in terms of development.

- He's having fall outs with our top players.

- The talented players we bring in are regressing

The only players he is happy with are the one's he brings from Chelsea (Matic) and us being strongly linked to Willian says he's incapable of finding another way.

The big question is who replaces him next year?

Shocking journalism, got a good laugh out of the comments. Can we stick to proper Journalists akin to Duncan Castles, thanks.

You must have the IQ of a slice of toast.

Carlo isn't a good fit for you. He's excellent at keeping a club going on autopilot: takes training, doesn't ruffle any feathers, and names solid teams.

You need someone to rebuild your club. I'd honestly be all over Tuchel or Conte in the summer if I were you guys. (Tuchel may not be an option though because he fell out with your de-facto Director of Football Sven Mislintat iirc)

You really thought they had a chance at a high profile manager like Conte? You must have the IQ of a crumb of toast.

SdP4oYu.gif

Proof that the replica is never as good as the original: Hydrox biscuits, David Moyes, and @Retro_G
  • Bejore
    89 posts Park Captain
    I hope hes a flop
  • SDoofus
    5068 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2018
    I really like the new Arsenal home kit. First time I've liked an Arsenal home kit since Puma took over.

Kits are god-awful in the PL this season. The Liverpool home kit was the only one I liked so far. City's is atrocious, as is Chelsea's. United and Spurs' rumoured home kits are terrible too. A big change from the quality kits the top 6 had last season (bar Arsenal and United).

However, this Arsenal one goes onto my list of nice kits.

DdyjCjOU8AA11zM.jpg:large
  • Rajivvv86
    1500 posts Play-Off Hero
    Emery has won lots of trophies for the past 2 seasons but in a league which is essentially PSG's to lose. Because they simply had the finances. Now in the epl, where (1) arsenal are known for being cheap and (2) more teams have financial clout, how successful can this arsenal team be?
  • Sellish
    9181 posts League Winner
    I'm just curious how Arsenal is going to become without Wenger.

Much lower expecations then what Moyes had with United so will probably be easier.
  • ViVaWhom
    8121 posts League Winner

Iwobi
    Xhaka
    Mustafi
    Welbeck
    Ospina
    Chambers
    Holding
    Lucas Perez
    Campbell

:lol: you clearly have no idea about the negativity of unai...

atleast Arsenal found the perfect replacement for wenger:
    but this is a man that did not win a single away game in a whole year, drawing nine times and losing ten
  • Cyodine
    1492 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 2018
    So... What are the negatives around Unai Emery? He seems to be somewhat successful. What kind of football would he bring to Arsenal? What is his preferred formation?

I know nothing of him other than what I have briefly read here. Just wondering if he is going to be a major improvement over Wenger.
  • Gervonta
    Cyodine wrote: »
    So... What are the negatives around Unai Emery? He seems to be somewhat successful. What kind of football would he bring to Arsenal? What is his preferred formation?

I know nothing of him other than what I have briefly read here. Just wondering if he is going to be a major improvement over Wenger.

The one negative for me is his handling of Ego’s. I.E Neymar. Didn’t really handle him well at PSG he should of been tearing that league up for fun. Didn’t handle the whole penalty taking fiasco well.

I still personally think it’s a good appointment. I think it’ll be an improvement over Wenger because he’ll have fresh ideas. There’s been reports he is similar to Guardiola in his approach to every detail which is a good thing for a coach to have. He plays some Attacking football Aswell so hopefully you don’t become like us and go from goal scoring machines into a double decker bus that can’t shift out of first gear.
  • Ahmer50x
    18175 posts World Class
    Reports seem to suggest Emery's going to be on about 5m/yr.

For reference, Pellegrini is getting 7m/yr at West Ham.

Emirates may be paid for, but you're still a broke club :lol:
  • Gervonta
    Reports seem to suggest Emery's going to be on about 5m/yr.

For reference, Pellegrini is getting 7m/yr at West Ham.

Emirates may be paid for, but you're still a broke club :lol:

For reference, we pay £15million a year to watch negative defensive football week in week out.

you’re criticising a club for not paying over the odds for a managers services?. It’s not a bad thing. West Ham have to pay over the odds for pellegrini because he was probably on a massive wage in China couple with the fact he’s got a massive squad over haul on his hands which is a massive task for a manager so he’s not going to accept a small pay package for a big job.

• Ashy
    9736 posts League Winner
    edited May 2018
    4-2-3-1 is his preferred formation

So I can see us playing something like this...

Cech
    Bellerin - New CB - New CB - Monreal/Kola
    New DM - Xhaka
    Lacazette - Ramsey - Mkhitaryan
    Aubameyang

Not sure where Ozil fits in tbh, could play in any of those positions behind Aubameyang so someone misses out, as much as we need a new keeper I’ve not seen any strong links yet, a new DM and CB is needed the most but looking at our current options I’d like 2 CB’s.

If Ramsey doesn’t extend then it makes it easier to fit Ozil in if we cash in however rumours are Emery wants to build around Ramsey. Can’t see Wilshere saying being back up
  • ChrisLFC
    7094 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2018

Iwobi
    Xhaka
    Mustafi
    Welbeck
    Ospina
    Chambers
    Holding
    Lucas Perez
    Campbell

@Gervonta and @edwinstree aren't Arsenal fans...
  • Ahmer50x
    18175 posts World Class
    edited May 2018
    Gotta say Emery’s opening presser was very good. I was impressed by him, even if I don’t think his CV is as good as others seem to
  • Gervonta
    edited May 2018
    Ashy wrote: »

Cech
    New DM - Xhaka
    Aubameyang

Not sure where Ozil fits in tbh, could play in any of those positions behind Aubameyang so someone misses out, as much as we need a new keeper I’ve not seen any strong links yet, a new DM and CB is needed the most but looking at our current options I’d like 2 CB’s.

If Ramsey doesn’t extend then it makes it easier to fit Ozil in if we cash in however rumours are Emery wants to build around Ramsey. Can’t see Wilshere saying being back up

4-3-3 is his preference regarding formation after leaving Sevilla. Could revert back to a 4231 though who knows
  • FRSM00
    5830 posts Big Money Move
    Ashy wrote: »

Cech
    New DM - Xhaka
    Aubameyang

4-3-3 is his preference regarding formation after leaving Sevilla. Could revert back to a 4231 though who knows
    He should do. The reason given for him playing 433 with PSG was because the players preferred the formation not because he preferred it. Emery started his run with PSG playing 4231.