Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• G000ner
    4213 posts National Call-Up
    I think Arteta certainly has the potential to be a good manager, but I think it's too early for him to manage a club like Arsenal. It's clear we want someone that would be happy to accept the role as a head coach and have no say on transfers, budgets etc. That rules out the likes of Allegri and Ancelotti. And Arteta "fits the philosophy", I guess. Probably more so than Vieira, who hasn't been that impressive managing New York anyway. Problem is definitely experience. Have no idea how the Arteta appointment would pan out. But I'm reading he wants to give Cazorla a player/coach role, which would be nice to see.

A lot of sources saying we're planning on getting rid of Mustafi and targeting up to 3 new centre backs. Really hope that's true.
  • arsenalap
    5088 posts Big Money Move
    We've been strongly linked to a few players. Seri, Meyer, Sokratis, Soyuncu.

I mean.. i'd take Meyer on a free, not really Seri, no idea about Soyuncu, and Sokratis if cheap is fine.

I wouldn't mind us selling Mustafi and bringing in 2 CBs, with Koscielny, Chambers and either Holding/Mav reserve and one on loan.
  • Bejore
    89 posts Park Captain
    Whats Arteta done really to be within consideration of the Arsenal job already!! Hes not an Arsenal legend, hes been assistant or whatever under Pep and thats it.. risky appointment if he does end up Arsenal manager
  • Ahmer50x
    18124 posts World Class
    edited May 2018
    Bejore wrote: »
    Whats Arteta done really to be within consideration of the Arsenal job already!! Hes not an Arsenal legend, hes been assistant or whatever under Pep and thats it.. risky appointment if he does end up Arsenal manager

Exactly. We've obviously not been in the interviews, but just going off of resumes:

Viera>Henry>Arteta among your ex-players
  • Andy
    7856 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

Exactly. We've obviously not been in the interviews, but just going off of resumes:

wtf has Henry done to rank himself above Arteta?
  • Mike
    10004 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 2018

What did Giggs have on his CV that made you think he deserved a job in the premier league
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner

Definitely not. Henry is last, he's a pundit. Vieria possibly because he's a manager whereas Arteta is an assistant to Pep. But Arteta had coached at the highest level for the PL Champions and is held at a high regard by both Arsene and Pep.
  • Gervonta
    3818 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2018
    The Arteta appointment is a risky one but it could be worth it. Look at hoffenhein’s appointment of nagelsmann. I personally think a young energetic coach is needed at the club everything stagnated under wenger.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Is Arteta being appointed because they think he can be one to eventually win the champions league or because he'd cost several million less a year then someone established like Carlo?
  • Gervonta
    Is Arteta being appointed because they think he can be one to eventually win the champions league or because he'd cost several million less a year then someone established like Carlo?

They’re probably thinking of a long term soloution. Don Carlo is just a short term fix.
  • Tamerlane
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    Mike wrote: »

What did Giggs have on his CV that made you think he deserved a job in the premier league

Boom.
  • Rhodesia
    790 posts Semi-Pro

Wages are peanuts for the board. They were gladly paying Wenger 8million for years. What they want is someone with very little ambition that won't be asking for substantial transfer money to fix the gaping holes in the squad. Someone who'll just be grateful to have the job and deflect any and all criticism away from the board.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    It really is madness, the sort of gamble that could see you guys rapidly fall much further.

If it works then It's a really nice fairy tail sort of situation. I just think that before this you needed to appoint someone like Carlo or Rafa to get you back in the Champions League and to lay solid foundations.

But as Rhodesia said, the board no doubt wants someone they can manipulate and use as a puppet.
  • Gervonta
    The foundations are already there imo. A few adjustments in the team in terms of ins and outs and they could get back into the top four.

You’ve got good players like Ozil , PEA , laca , Ramsey mkhi the squad just needs freshening up and strengthening defensively and a bit in midfield. The next coach needs an attacking style of philosophy to get the best out of the players I mentioned.
  • Tornado31619
    16936 posts World Class
    Mike wrote: »

There’s a reason his tenure was brief
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Gervonta wrote: »
    The foundations are already there imo. A few adjustments in the team in terms of ins and outs and they could get back into the top four.

You’ve got good players like Ozil , PEA , laca , Ramsey mkhi the squad just needs freshening up and strengthening defensively and a bit in midfield. The next coach needs an attacking style of philosophy to get the best out of the players I mentioned.

The defence needs some work. Honestly I feel that with the right coaching the likes of Mustafi could be a very good player. Meanwhile Kos is aging rather badly. Chambers probably belongs in the championship. That Bolton lad has a ton of potential but is very inconsistent atm.

You could probably do with a VVD sort of signing. Bonnuci's value has probably fallen a fair bit and could be worth a gamble.
  • Ahmer50x
    18124 posts World Class
    “Arteta is understood to want assurances over the role he will play in Arsenal's transfer policy before agreeing to join the club as head coach.

The 36-year-old, who is currently a coach at Manchester City, also wants guarantees that he will have a significant say in which players are sold to recoup funds for further player investments with the club's summer budget at £50m.

Arteta is thought to be happy to remain at City as part of Pep Guardiola's coaching staff if he is not given assurances over Arsenal's transfer policy.“

-Sky Sports News

Imagine being so toxic that even a former captain with no managerial experience whatsoever is willing to walk away.
  • Ashy
    9725 posts League Winner
    “Arteta is understood to want assurances over the role he will play in Arsenal's transfer policy before agreeing to join the club as head coach.

The 36-year-old, who is currently a coach at Manchester City, also wants guarantees that he will have a significant say in which players are sold to recoup funds for further player investments with the club's summer budget at £50m.

Arteta is thought to be happy to remain at City as part of Pep Guardiola's coaching staff if he is not given assurances over Arsenal's transfer policy.“

-Sky Sports News

Imagine being so toxic that even a former captain with no managerial experience whatsoever is willing to walk away.

It’s a fair compromise, imo the manager should get a massive say in player sales and incomings,
  • Fromage Fou
    62 posts Park Captain
    Monreal is in Spain's World Cup squad.
  • Tornado31619
    16936 posts World Class
    BBC reporting Emery to take the job
  • Ahmer50x
    18124 posts World Class
    Arteta withdrew over your transfer policy :lol:
  • arsenalap
    Cech = 1
    Bellerin = 2
    Elneny = 4
    Xhaka = 34

Squad number changes.

Was hoping either our new DM or CB would be 4..
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional

That is hilarious if true.

Arsenal are never going anywhere with Kronke.
  • G000ner
    edited May 2018

From what I'm reading, we saw it as too much of a risk and never actually offered him the job. But he's right to have his concerns- shows the man has self-respect. Not sure about Unai Emery tbh. That kinda came out of nowhere.

And Santi is leaving :'(. I will miss him
  • Retro_G
    29075 posts Player of the Year
    edited May 2018
    I remember you lot giving me stick a few months ago, because I was mentioning managers like Brendan Rodgers, didn't think any high profile manager would take the Arsenal job. You lot were throwing around names like Allegri, AncelottI, Zidane etc. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
  • G000ner
    edited May 2018
    Retro_G wrote: »
    I remember you lot giving me stick a few months ago, because I was mentioning managers like Brendan Rodgers, didn't think any big profile manager would take the Arsenal job. You lot were throwing around names like Allegri, AncelottI, Zidane etc. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

ok
  • Retro_G
    29075 posts Player of the Year
    G000ner wrote: »
    I remember you lot giving me stick a few months ago, because I was mentioning managers like Brendan Rodgers, didn't think any big profile manager would take the Arsenal job. You lot were throwing around names like Allegri, AncelottI, Zidane etc. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

ok

I'm tempted to go back, drag up all your comments. :D
  • G000ner

ok

I'll do it for you. this was the only post I made discussing potential options. I said Allegri was unlikely and he ended up staying at Juve. Ancelotti was of course a possibility, but I don't think we were interested in hiring him and I prefer Emery to him anyway. I have no idea where you've pulled Zidane from. Not only was he unrealistic, he'd be an awful appointment. I don't remember anyone mentioning him or giving you stick. I think you have made this all up in your head.
    I have no idea who we're gonna go for tbh. There's a list of 10 or so managers who could potentially end up with the job.

You've got ex players like Arteta or Vieira. Proven PL managers such as Ancelotti, Rodgers and Benitez. Then managers who are unproven in the PL such as Sarri, Luis Enrique, Allegri, Tuchel, Simeone and Low

I don't see us going down the ex player route tbh, nor do I see us hiring Simeone, Benitez or Low. Allegri and Sarri would have to leave and if they do, I'd imagine they would be in high demand. So they're unlikely.

That leaves Ancelotti, Rodgers, Enrique and Tuchel as the top candidates imo. Not sure who I'd prefer.
  • arsenalap

ok

Have fun mate