England

Comments

• SDoofus
    6124 posts Big Money Move
    Ah, the good old United fan's default go-to chestnut when they're embarrassed. A personal attack relating to a poster's real life. Never change.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Gervonta wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    there are many players who don’t warrant an inclusion.

Fabian Delph was decent at left back for city but playing central midfield he offers nothing.

Welbeck is just for stamina he has 0 technical ability he’s more likely to trip over his own foot than score World Cup goals.

Cahill isn’t even a starter a chelsea anymore which is apparently the same reason for leaving hart out. So how can one guy not go because of lack of game time and form but another guy go.

He is, actually. He started 7 of their last 9 league games. Earning his place back at Chelsea is what got him his England place back. Was always going to go as long as he was playing.

Welbeck's international record can't be overlooked either. He has scored regularly on England appearances and always been a useful player. Plays better for England than he does for his clubs, for some reason.

Delph I'm with you, he's literally just there as cover for an injury crisis though, given that he can play multiple positions.

He’s been in and out of the team this whole season he hasn’t been a mainstay so to speak.

45 appearances for club and country say otherwise: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=40093

I think he genuinely only lost his place for a few weeks, it just felt like more because there happened to be two England friendlies during that time, so more was made of the fact he wasn't called up.
  • G000ner
    4412 posts National Call-Up
    Think this game has confirmed Rashford, Lingard, Young and Jones' positions on England's bench. Don't want them near the starting line up.
  • Gervonta
    4058 posts National Call-Up
    G000ner wrote: »
    Think this game has confirmed Rashford, Lingard, Young and Jones' positions on England's bench. Don't want them near the starting line up.

Agreed but there’s not another option other than Rashford on the left side of midfield if we don’t play a back 3 with wing backs. Vardy is better centrally getting in behind slow centre backs.
  • Ahmer50x
    19952 posts Club Captain

Taking Jones over Smalling was just stupid by Southgate.
  • GaryWackett
    55 posts Park Captain
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

neither should be in the team, also the fact Rashford got a call up over Ashley Barnes is baffling really.
  • AEsey
    6019 posts Big Money Move
    We are gonna have great fun with Jones at the world cup
  • arsenalap
    6093 posts Big Money Move
    To be fair Jones probably won't play much if at all
  • G000ner

Agreed but there’s not another option other than Rashford on the left side of midfield if we don’t play a back 3 with wing backs. Vardy is better centrally getting in behind slow centre backs.

I know you'll strongly disagree, but I'd sooner play Welbeck than Rashford. At least he's going into the tournament in some kind of form, and actually has a very good England record.

The clear choice is Alli. Even though he's not a left winger, he's far better than our other options there. As long as our wing backs are providing the width (as they should be), he can just cut inside anyway. Same goes with Sterling.

Alternatively we could play something like this as a front three and leave Alli out:

Sterling
    Vardy-Kane

Certainly wouldn't be against that. We should be setting up on the counter as we have no players that are good in possession, so not starting Vardy wouldn't make any sense. He's one of the best players in the world on the counter.
  • G000ner

Southgate would sooner take Callum Chambers because he's slightly better on the ball, even though he's an awful defender. The guy is a genuine moron. Juve play a back 3, and Chiellini is hardly a ball-playing defender, yet he does an excellent job there. His priorities are in the wrong place completely. I can't wait for a John Stones mistake to cost us a place in the knockouts.
  • Kman
    2991 posts National Call-Up
    How many goals you think Jones will cost? My bet is at least 3
  • Kellnerr
    2833 posts Fans' Favourite
    The clear choice is Alli. Even though he's not a left winger, he's far better than our other options there. As long as our wing backs are providing the width (as they should be), he can just cut inside anyway. Same goes with Sterling.

Alternatively we could play something like this as a front three and leave Alli out:

Sterling
    Vardy-Kane

Certainly wouldn't be against that. We should be setting up on the counter as we have no players that are good in possession, so not starting Vardy wouldn't make any sense. He's one of the best players in the world on the counter.

I'd prefer this if Southgate doesn't go with 5atb what is unlikely though.

Hendo Dier
    Sterling Alli
    Vardy Kane
  • AEsey

Southgate would sooner take Callum Chambers because he's slightly better on the ball, even though he's an awful defender. The guy is a genuine moron. Juve play a back 3, and Chiellini is hardly a ball-playing defender, yet he does an excellent job there. His priorities are in the wrong place completely. I can't wait for a John Stones mistake to cost us a place in the knockouts.

Yeah agreed
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Stones and Jones in the same defence.. Comedy gold guranteed.

Jones better at-least give us a new funny face meme.
  • Ghazano
    434 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I wonder if Southgate is still going to play 5 at the back in the first 2 games against Tunisia and Panama. 5 atb is a system that nullifies the big teams and got us 0-0’s against Germany and Brazil but if we fail to score against these first 2 teams everyone will be attacking the system.

The last thing we want is to go into the Belgium game needing a win and exposing Jones into 1 v 1’s with Hazard.
  • arsenalap
    What is with this Jones thing?

The man is our 5th choice CB..
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    arsenalap wrote: »
    What is with this Jones thing?

The man is our 5th choice CB..

He plays for United, he'll be getting gametime.
  • arsenalap
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Cahill, Jones.

That's most likely what it'll be.
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    arsenalap wrote: »
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Cahill, Jones.

That's most likely what it'll be.

Both Cahill and and Jones have looked awful this season. Stones without working in a Guardiola system has disaster written all over him.
  • Sloosh
    6753 posts Big Money Move
    Wilshere stans slandering RLC :D You lot are insufferable.
  • SwordsCPFC
    237 posts Sunday League Hero
    How can Loftus cheek be selected over Wilshere ffs :D. Given the **** he's been saying about him all year, it seems like Southgate was never planning to include him, regardless of how well he played. It's not like we've got an abundance of central midfielders in the squad anyway. If you're not going to select Wilshere, at least select someone like Shelvey.

This tournament will be horrendous

you're joking right?
  • Orikoru
    Kman wrote: »
    How many goals you think Jones will cost? My bet is at least 3

I think Jones will be far enough down the pecking order as not to play a single minute, barring an injury crisis. I expect Walker, Stones & Cahill/Maguire to be the back three. So Jones will be 5th choice at best/worst.

It's Stones you want to worry about. That lad is a walking mistake.
  • Orikoru
    Ghazano wrote: »
    I wonder if Southgate is still going to play 5 at the back in the first 2 games against Tunisia and Panama. 5 atb is a system that nullifies the big teams and got us 0-0’s against Germany and Brazil but if we fail to score against these first 2 teams everyone will be attacking the system.

The last thing we want is to go into the Belgium game needing a win and exposing Jones into 1 v 1’s with Hazard.

It can be pretty attacking to be fair. Say if Young is the left wing back, Walker is in the back 3, Stones for all his faults likes to play out from the back as well. The width and crossing Trippier provides might be useful as well, if those two sides are parking the bus and packing the middle of the park.
  • Kellnerr
    2833 posts Fans' Favourite
    I trust Cahill 100 times more than Jones tbh.
  • G000ner
    SwordsCPFC wrote: »
    How can Loftus cheek be selected over Wilshere ffs :D. Given the **** he's been saying about him all year, it seems like Southgate was never planning to include him, regardless of how well he played. It's not like we've got an abundance of central midfielders in the squad anyway. If you're not going to select Wilshere, at least select someone like Shelvey.

This tournament will be horrendous

you're joking right?

no
  • IntoxicatedSeal
    1421 posts Professional
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    I trust Cahill 100 times more than Jones tbh.

127767660.jpg?itok=SZQnSTbt
  • AEsey
    Why smalling isn't going is the question that a worries me
  • Bejore
    89 posts Park Captain
    I don't trust any of our centre backs, all got a mistake or two in them
  • Tornado31619
    17896 posts World Class
    Kane captain confirmed
  • Orikoru
    AEsey wrote: »
    Why smalling isn't going is the question that a worries me

Why would anyone be worried that Smalling wasn't there? :joy:
    Bejore wrote: »
    I don't trust any of our centre backs, all got a mistake or two in them

This is true. It's not like we've got some outstanding centre back that's being left at home. All our centre back options are poor really so it hardly matters who's actually there.