Eurovision Thread | Israel 2019

Comments

• Alastair
    9986 posts Moderator
    It'll be interesting to see the running order Sunday.

With the right position I think Cyprus, Israel, Norway, Moldova and France could all be contenders.
  • Mike
    9826 posts League Winner
    Going to be a poor winner. Would be up there with 1944
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    I think there are actually quite a few good songs this year
  • Alastair
    9986 posts Moderator
    edited May 2018
    The running order is out.

01. Ukraine
    02. Spain
    03. Slovenia
    04. Lithuania
    05. Austria
    06. Estonia
    07. Norway
    08. Portugal
    — break position
    09. United Kingdom
    10. Serbia
    11. Germany
    12. Albania
    13. France
    14. Czech Republic
    15. Denmark
    16. Australia
    — break position
    17. Finland
    18. Bulgaria
    19. Moldova
    20. Sweden
    21. Hungary
    22. Israel
    23. The Netherlands
    24. Ireland
    25. Cyprus
    26. Italy

Surely Cyprus will win with that slot? I reckon Finland top 10 is nailed on now and the UK could do better than expected.

Spain, Norway and Israel will suffer. I think having Hungary before Israel will make everyone think this is the weird section of the show. That could even heart the Netherlands.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Hungary is really growing on me :D

I mean...it's fantastic.
  • Mike
    9826 posts League Winner
    Going on a Eurovision sabbatical if that wins
  • Alastair
    9986 posts Moderator
    Mike wrote: »

Till when? Beginning of May next year?
  • Mike
    9826 posts League Winner
    Alastair wrote: »

Till when? Beginning of May next year?
    Exactly
  • Mike
    9826 posts League Winner
    Listened to Moldova again and it's not as good as I thought.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

It won't win but I can see it get top 5
  • Mike
    9826 posts League Winner
    Are we still thinking Cyprus will win? I really don't want Isreal to win

Speaking of Isreal, did anyone see what Salvador said about their song? Was great banter
  • Alastair
    9986 posts Moderator
    The running order will end Israel’s chances. Coming straight after Hungary will put a lot of people off it.

Speaking of Isreal, did anyone see what Salvador said about their song? Was great banter

I’ve not heard the actual quote? Got a link?
  • Mike
    9826 posts League Winner
    db8d1ad4e4.png
  • Alastair
    9986 posts Moderator
    :joy:
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Israel is definitely not winning imo
  • Dean
    840 posts Semi-Pro
    Alright ladies, feel like I haven't posted on here in years, nice to see y'all still living.

Just my two cents on the semi finals:

SF1
    1. CYPRUS - Hard to see anything else winning at this stage, has the running order and the song is charting absolutely everywhere. An absolute banger elevated by the staging and choreography.
    2. LITHUANIA - Most emotional song of the year for me, Ieva is an absolute sweetheart. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see this in the top 5.
    3. ESTONIA - Admittedly the impact of this one has worn off a bit given how many times I've heard it since Eesti Laul but her voice is incredible and the wow factor will be there for first time viewers, but the draw has probably ruined her chances of challenging sadly.
    4. IRELAND - Gave this a few votes so was over the moon when it qualified, Molly Sterling's nq avenged at last.
    5. GREECE - Honestly can't believe they qualified in 2017 with a vastly inferior song, and missed out this time. Just shows the strength in depth this year.
    6. ALBANIA - This one literally took months to grow on me after it was announced in December. I'm glad they revamped it. Eugent's vocal range is extraordinary.
    7. SWITZERLAND - Gutted about this one but they were only ever a borderline qualifier. Staging was good, the message was there, Europe just doesn't like Switzerland it seems.
    8. ARMENIA - This was never a favourite of mine pre-semi final, but the live performance lifted it considerably.
    9. CROATIA - Like Armenia, it was always near the bottom of my ranking pre-season, but she gave one of the best performances of the night, would easily have qualified with a better song.
    10. FINLAND - Listened to the studio version of this so much, staging was a bit overdone but did enough to sneak into my top 10. A victory for the gays on Tuesday with Finland/Ireland both making it.
    ___

11. BELARUS - Loved the artistic staging but he seemed so nervous and the vocals were a bit shaky.
    12. AZERBAIJAN - Not a bad effort but opening the show killed it immediately, rumours are she'll be back next year with her own song.
    13. AUSTRIA - Vocally very good but what was the staging all about?
    14. BELGIUM - Was heartbreaking to see Sennek's reaction after the semi. Staging/camera work left a lot to be desired.
    15. BULGARIA - This is just awkward, no chemistry and Zhana serves absolutely no purpose on the stage. A Powerpoint presentation.
    16. ISRAEL - Have to say I enjoy the studio version but this is just a complete MESS from start to finish. The staging is just confusing? Not a winner in a million years.
    17. ICELAND - Poor Ari :( , deserved a much better song, but it's great to see he enjoyed the whole experience at least.
    18. MACEDONIA One of my favourites in the studio but this was an absolute car crash of a performance unfortunately, hopefully they'll learn how to stage a song by next year as that's 2 in a row now that have been badly let down.
    19. CZECHIA - I can understand the appeal amongst some viewers but I really don't like this, the whole thing is just cringeworthy.

SF2
    1. HUNGARY - Cannot put into words how much I love this, and AWS themselves - they are so pure. Found myself listening to their whole discography over the past couple of months and honestly nearly cried when they were announced last night. All the non-metal loving Eurofans are rallying around this song and I think that speaks volumes as it's such a love/hate genre. Favourite Eurovision song of all time, without question.
    2. ROMANIA - And then we have my favourite non-qualifier ever, not much to say other than I think this is a genuine masterpiece and I've no idea how it didn't qualify.
    3. MOLDOVA - Now THIS is how you overcome the LED ban. Such a fun, innovative performance. A huge glow up from their national final performance.
    4. MONTENEGRO - Another work of art left behind. Love Balkan ballads in general but something about this one was special in particular, could genuinely feel Vanja's emotion through every note.
    5. UKRAINE - Brilliant stage presence, his pronunciation has improved drastically in the last month as well. At least with this opening the final, it might grab the early attention of the casuals.
    6. GEORGIA - Wasn't expecting this to qualify as it was probably the least talked about song pre-contest but I think it's great, harmonies were spot on.
    7. SAN MARINO - Again, an obvious non qualifier but give me this attempt over generic nonsense every day of the week, don't think it'll have finished last in the semi anyway.
    8. SERBIA - So happy this got through! Love the unique vocals and the bit where the beat kicks in at first gives me so much life.
    9. MALTA - Thought this was a well polished performance. Similar to Switzerland, another song with a strong message that failed to get through to Europe.
    10. SLOVENIA - Wasn't sure if they'd blown it when I heard about the Douwe Bob pause but it worked better than I anticipated. The song is a grower for sure.
    ___

11. NETHERLANDS Love the song on it's own but the staging was questionable and Waylon is a ****. Moving on.
    12. DENMARK - Thought this would be a sure qualifier for me, was blown away when I first saw it at MGP but the performance seemed really weak last night in comparison? Glad he's in the final though, hopefully it has a more powerful impact.
    13. LATVIA - Performing after Hungary gave this no chance, it's a decent enough song and Laura is lovely but not enough for a spot in the final.
    14. NORWAY - I've tried to warm to this song, but I just can't, I love Rybak but this is more suited to JESC.
    15. POLAND - Glad this didn't qualify, a poor version of Norway's song last year, vocals were off for the most part also.
    16. SWEDEN - Give me Margaret, Samir & Viktor, Jessica Andersson or Dotter over this all day long. Generic, over-produced, annoying voice and so on.
    17. AUSTRALIA - Awful. Missed all the big notes in the jury final on Wednesday night but got through purely because it's Australia. Just felt really uncomfortable watching it last night also.
    18. RUSSIA - A real shame, the song isn't that bad in the studio but that was the worst live performance I've personally ever seen. The song's clearly not suited to her vocal ability in a live environment, and even the backing vocalists couldn't save it.
  • Alastair
    9986 posts Moderator
    DEAN!!!!!

Long time no see, hope you're well and still ready for ARMD in Eurovision 2025. :joy:

Agree with most of what you've said. Cyprus is nailed on to win imo but I'd love to see Lithuania win. Interesting to see Azerbaijan will be returning next year as I thought they were quite good.

Ari deserved better for Iceland as well.

I can't stand Hungary personally, it's just noise.

What is the LED ban you've mentioned with Moldova?

Good to see others hate the Aussie entry as much as me. :joy:

• Alastair
    9986 posts Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Anyone up for doing some predictions for tonight:

Winner:
    Second:
    Third:
    Fourth:
    Outsider to sneak into Top 10:
    To Finish Last:
    Winning Points Total:
    Winning Margin:
    Post edited by Alastair on
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    edited May 2018
    Alastair wrote: »
    Anyone up for doing some predictions for tonight:

Winner: Bulgaria
    Second: Cyprus
    Third: Ireland
    Fourth: Germany
    Outsider to sneak into Top 10: Albania
    To Finish Last: United Kingdom
    Winning Points Total: 658
    Winning Margin: 32

• chokosc
    2845 posts Fans' Favourite
    Are you guys against Israel because of political reasons or because you genuinly don't like the song?
  • Mike
    9826 posts League Winner
    chokosc wrote: »
    Are you guys against Israel because of political reasons or because you genuinly don't like the song?
    Because the song is horrendous
  • chokosc
    2845 posts Fans' Favourite

Fair enough then! Think it is our better song in recent years. Not sure if we really have a chance winning but it would be nice.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain

Fair enough then! Think it is our better song in recent years. Not sure if we really have a chance winning but it would be nice.

Both for me. Can't stand the #MeToo bs and the song is terrible imo
  • Alastair
    9986 posts Moderator
    edited May 2018

Think it is our better song in recent years.

I know I can’t really talk but that’s not exactly hard. :joy:
  • Bean
    3830 posts National Call-Up
    Haven't heard any of the songs this year so looking quite forward to this, is the UK that bad cause a lot of the bets I've seen have UK to finish last? Wouldn't surprise me but still.
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Bean wrote: »
    Haven't heard any of the songs this year so looking quite forward to this, is the UK that bad cause a lot of the bets I've seen have UK to finish last? Wouldn't surprise me but still.

Yes. Worst by far
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Nothing to be ashamed of though. Imo the final is stacked this year.

Also it is not Spain 2017 levels bad
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    @Alastair do u think Netherlands will finish top 15? Have a very bad feeling that we will be between 20-26.
  • Bean
    3830 posts National Call-Up
    Santiago wrote: »

Yes. Worst by far

Can't wait to see what **** we've come up with then
  • Santiago
    21486 posts Club Captain
    Santiago wrote: »

Yes. Worst by far

Can't wait to see what **** we've come up with then

I really isn't that bad. It is just the worst out of all of them.

Don't like her voice personally.