What formation are you using and why

dylanmx
4427 posts National Call-Up
Looking to find out what formations people use and why.

Comments

• Thamightyboro
    7695 posts League Winner
    4411or 4231

Because I enjoy them

I might scrape 1-2 wins more with a meta but am just too average and dont have that win at all costs mentality at 40 year old
  • MillsOnWheels
    666 posts An Exciting Prospect

Because I hacked the game
  • Salama
    1305 posts Professional
    4231(1), 41212 wide and now 433(4) because I like to use fast wingers and crossing instead of trying to pass through the crowded middle.
  • Alex_cr
    5888 posts Big Money Move
    3421. Use it because I wanted a mad all out attack formation.

Use proper wingers at RM and LM, not fullbacks. No defensive CM in site.
  • dylanmx
    4427 posts National Call-Up
    Alex_cr wrote: »

I think alex sandro IF would work as a winger full back
  • Alex_cr
    5888 posts Big Money Move
    dylanmx wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »

I think alex sandro IF would work as a winger full back

Yeah he definitely would. But I gotta squeeze Pires I’m somewhere!
  • Dinksy
    2209 posts Fans' Favourite
    4231 narrow. Only formation I feel like I'm not defensively vulnerable
  • Macca77
    1787 posts Fans' Favourite
    I can’t stick on one. Mostly have used 41212 widen this weekend majority was 41212 narrow. None feel as good to me as 433(4) did last year for me. Seems to go in have a run where it feels good then all of sudden it’s ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and doesn’t work for me. Tried 4231 too. Sometimes Swith to that in game if I have a lead and wanna try and keep it lol. Have most fun with 41212 wide tho I think
  • Notformeclive
    2575 posts Fans' Favourite
    Constantly changing as well, using 352 atm, inspired by watching highlights of Van Gaal's Ajax from 95.
  • D3ATHSQUAD
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    I use the 41212 (wide) mainly because I like the space it creates in the middle and the runs that the RM/LM can do while attacking. Those wide cut-ins from outside either into the box or just across midfield throw a lot of people into defensive panic mode and open up a ton of opportunities.

It does leave space in the midfield when you are trying to defend but I am mainly defending with my CDM and back line anyways so I can deal with that because the attacking positives outweigh those negatives.

I played 41212(2) last year and when I tried it again this year it just feels like when I get close to the box while attacking everyone is too crowded and there is no space.
  • Qon
    931 posts Professional
    4321 because it became amazing after one of the latest patches. Glad everyone else only uses it for formation changing purposes haha
  • tilen11
    6290 posts Big Money Move
    4411 and 442 because they allow me to play nice football.
  • Nobber93
    1992 posts Fans' Favourite
    4231-2 it’s a monster defensively and going forward
  • Shutup
    2877 posts Fans' Favourite
    4231(2), offers the best balance imo
  • Socalj11
    1671 posts Play-Off Hero
    I’ve used all of the 4 back formations. Sticking with 4321 the longest. It suits my extremely pacey wings, very technical ST and highly rated and skilled midfield
  • joehuk
    4734 posts National Call-Up
    41212 Narrow

I like the packed Midfield for short 1 2 passes, NO i hardly ever use driven pass to my strikers then 1 2 with them can't really do it with 93 Van Bastan :D:D

I like to use build up play but sorta never works online with the amount of automatic AI marking.

online is purely get the ball to your pacey strikers as quickly as possible and 1 2 rinse and repeat.
  • WarrenBarton
    10504 posts Has That Special Something
    41212-2, been using it since fifa 14 or whenever it was introduced. Seem to remember having inform 84 rated Cabaye in my first team using it.
    I used to like 2 rapid strikers and a solid midfield and defence. I feel now I get on better with a little and large pair upfront (Messi and bergkamp currently) and fast full backs who can dribble well.
    I remember I would play 352 or 3412 in the past but feel these formations leave you conceding a lot of rebounds these days.
  • Mr_Dudes_x
    25 posts Last Pick at the Park
    5212. I guess not popular because it's 5 atb and the midfields weak. However the defence is strong as hell and you have the same attacking ability of the 41212(2). Even faze tass used this formation in the comp in Barcelona
  • 442 - most fun formation for me and allows me to easily work the ball around.
  • Betrus
    1190 posts Professional
    4312 because I like it. Have tried every formation there is but always come back to 4312. Seems to suit my playstyle the best.
  • Tooner9
    401 posts Sunday League Hero

Because I hacked the game

How? I wanted to use a formation like that, sick of all the chemistry in fut, everyone has same formation and unless full of icons the same side, should be like old career mode n make your own but don't alow certain amount of players withon a certain area so not unrealistic formations
  • tzinc
    3003 posts National Call-Up
    same teams same formations same tactics BORING!!!!!
  • WarrenBarton
    10504 posts Has That Special Something
    tzinc wrote: »

CHILL!!!!! one guy is using 424
  • JohnDoe
    12175 posts Has That Special Something
    tzinc wrote: »

12 different formations mentioned so far in this thread and you spew this garbage. Neat.
  • LiamSully
    7209 posts League Winner
    Because it’s all I could use for Chem reasons but it got me elite monthlies twice, so...
  • mdizzl3
    12418 posts Has That Special Something
    3412 and 3421. Attacking and good fun
  • A_Snipe
    2695 posts Fans' Favourite
    LiamSully wrote: »
    Because it’s all I could use for Chem reasons but it got me elite monthlies twice, so...

I’m thinking of using this for chem reasons as well. What are the cams and cdms like ? Should I have good crossers as cams. Would be using deco for rcam. And are the cdms usually back or do they play more like cams ? Was thinking either inform gustavo or Fabinho as left cdm and of course rcdm would be Baka
  • LiamSully
    7209 posts League Winner
    A_Snipe wrote: »
    LiamSully wrote: »

I’m thinking of using this for chem reasons as well. What are the cams and cdms like ? Should I have good crossers as cams. Would be using deco for rcam. And are the cdms usually back or do they play more like cams ? Was thinking either inform gustavo or Fabinho as left cdm and of course rcdm would be Baka

Yeah CDMs are massively important, I use prime Petit and TOTY Kante but as long as you’ve got good box to box players you’ll be ok
    Baka’s passing will give you problems

CAMs I mainly cut in with as I’m bad at crossing but if your good at it you can get some great opportunities as I see the cross but too late normally :(

Cut back goals OP tho ;)
  • Fifababy
    1204 posts Professional
    Been using 433 4 and doing v well, since patch have really struggled tonight seems harder to cut inside and interceptions in the box seem stronger. Have noticed crossing seems more effective against me. At a bit of a loss now what to do as I was enjoying 433 4.

• StrutterGear
    1560 posts Play-Off Hero
    Trying out 4222 as 4312 is dead for me. Having good results so far.