Arsenal Football Club

Comments

• Jaymizzo
    2383 posts Fans' Favourite
    RollsReus wrote: »
    City are making this too easy.

United are still right behind us. Hopefully City do us a favor and lose this then draw against Utd.
  • RollsReus
    1464 posts Professional
    edited April 2015
    United still have City, Chelsea and us. We only really have United. Fancy our chances.

edit: and Chelsea. My bad.
  • Jaymizzo
    RollsReus wrote: »
    United still have City, Chelsea and us. We only really have United. Fancy our chances.

We have Chelsea and Utd. Both very hard games.
  • Jaymizzo
    If we sign Schneiderlin, does that mean he will end up starting over Coquelin? He has honestly fought too hard for his spot and is still giving it his all even without any competition. Would be sad to see him benched for a newer player.

• RollsReus
    1464 posts Professional
    probably. Harsh but competition and depth isn't a bad thing.

Crystal Palace always step up against the big boys. Chelsea have to go there in a few weeks.
  • Jaymizzo
    Im not against getting Schneiderlin, I would personally love him and competition will surely make them both better focused etc. I was just curious as to how most of you think it would play out and how you want it to play out.

We could always rotate the two I guess.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    Replacing Coquelin? Are you people insane?
  • Not buying Schneiderlin as the player we need. Looks out of his depth for France when ever he plays for them too.
  • Jaymizzo
    No one is saying Coquelin should be replaced, stating the opposite actually. But we have been linked with Schneiderlin and IIRC Wenger still wants a DM.

Obviously Coquelin cannot be our only DM for a full season but signing Schneiderlin would mean that one of them is our starter and the other is the backup

• Handy Andy
    5919 posts Big Money Move
    bearing in mind he has only produced a very short period of good form it is perfectly reasonable to buy another, more reliable and established DM surely?
  • xXBarkleyXx
    818 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited April 2015
    Handy Andy wrote: »
    bearing in mind he has only produced a very short period of good form it is perfectly reasonable to buy another, more reliable and established DM surely?

Agreed. Coquelin has had a run of good games we will see how good he is when he has a full season to play. Not doubting his ability

different positions but look at wickham last season had a brilliant run of form in the last few games for Sunderland, this season he hasn't got anywhere near that standard.

• Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional

Why would you assume that he can't keep producing such performances? There has been no evidence in the past three months to suggest that Coquelin may not be good enough, none whatsoever. Paying 20 million pounds because someone's more 'established' is utterly nonsensical.
  • xXBarkleyXx
    818 posts An Exciting Prospect

Why would you assume that he can't keep producing such performances? There has been no evidence in the past three months to suggest that Coquelin may not be good enough, none whatsoever. Paying 20 million pounds because someone's more 'established' is utterly nonsensical.

I'm not saying coquelin isn't good enough

But like I said wickham had a good run of form end of the season last year this year he has 4 goals in 33 apps.

I'm just saying I wouldn't hype up Francis until he has had a full season at the top level. Schneiderlin has shown he can handle it he's been one of saints most consistent players these past seasons
  • Handy Andy

I am not assuming anything. It is a good run of form, whether or not he can produce this consistently over a whole season has not been proven, so it is fair enough in my opinion to question whether he can perform like this on a consistent basis, say over 12 motnhs or so. Signing a DM who is of high quality and has proven that they can perform over a whole season would be a good investment in my opinion. Then, say if Coquelin does continue playing as he is, you have two good DM's to choose from.

• Jaymizzo

The alternative would be to rely on Coquelin and pray he does not get injured or get fatigued, which is highly unlikely.

I don't know much about other DMs to suggest cheaper alternatives but as it stands Schneiderlin is the one we have been closest linked to and is a realistic target.

My objection is about the possibility of Coquelin being dropped in favour of a newer player, this has more to do with my feelings towards the player and his determination for us than anything else (stating he has been good for us is fairly obvious).

Just trying to provoke a discussion without things get too heated.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional
    If Schneiderlin wants to come and be back-up for Coquelin then I don't mind. Realistically, though, it's not going to happen. I do agree that we need an additional defensive midfielder in the squad but he won't be first choice (bearing in mind that we already have Arteta and potentially Bielik). Coquelin has earned his place. You put your faith on those who merit it, not those who are more 'established'. The same applies for Bellerin and Debuchy.
  • Handy Andy

If Schneiderlin wants to come and be back-up for Coquelin then I don't mind. Realistically, though, it's not going to happen. I do agree that we need an additional defensive midfielder in the squad but he won't be first choice (bearing in mind that we already have Arteta and potentially Bielik). Coquelin has earned his place. You put your faith on those who merit it, not those who are more 'established'. The same applies for Bellerin and Debuchy.

From what I have seen on here people do not seem to think Arteta is good enough.

Sorry but going into a season with Coquelin and Bielik as DM's would me madness in my opinion. If Coquelin gets injured, never mind losing form, you are back to using Flamini and co.

The Bellerin thing is a good example. Say he goes on a bad run of form, which imo would be fair enough for a player of his age, you have Debuchy to come in, who is a reliable performer.
  • RollsReus
    1464 posts Professional
    Coquelin getting injured means the only cdm behind him is Flamini.
  • Baelexis
    1765 posts Play-Off Hero

From what I have seen on here people do not seem to think Arteta is good enough.

Sorry but going into a season with Coquelin and Bielik as DM's would me madness in my opinion. If Coquelin gets injured, never mind losing form, you are back to using Flamini and co.

The Bellerin thing is a good example. Say he goes on a bad run of form, which imo would be fair enough for a player of his age, you have Debuchy to come in, who is a reliable performer.
    Arteta isnt good enough in my opinion and i think we need to buy a CDM just incase.

• Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional

Arteta's fine against 80% of the teams in the league, he just can't cope with the best teams. And I did say that we do need an another addition, just not a 20 million one. Funds aren't unlimited, we have other areas we need to address.
  • Handy Andy
    what is a higher priority than DM? (genuine question btw)
  • Handy Andy wrote: »

Arteta's fine against 80% of the teams in the league, he just can't cope with the best teams. And I did say that we do need an another addition, just not a 20 million one. Funds aren't unlimited, we have other areas we need to address.
    Exactly what I've said for ages about Arteta. He's brilliant when we're in a game that we're controlling, not so when we need stability. Think Schneiderlin is just an obvious player that we're linked to.

• Niall
    2351 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 2015
    Goalkeeper and potentially CB, depending on if Gabriel was bought to be our first choice next season.
  • Stannis Baratheon
    1417 posts Professional

Goalkeeper and another 15 goal a season player (Arsene's words).
  • Handy Andy
    Cech would be good, doubt Jose will sell to you though.

• Handy Andy wrote: »
    Cech would be good, doubt Jose will sell to you though.

I'm not sure. I think he does what Cech wants because it's Cech.
  • G000ner
    4883 posts National Call-Up
    I would buy another CDM, just not necessarily someone to start. Someone with a bit of experience, perhaps Mario Suarez or someone along those lines. We don't need Schneiderlin, I have enough faith in Coquelin that he can be our main CDM.
  • GK isnt a priority, theres nothing wrong with Ospina. Szczesny isnt nailed on to leave either.

CB is something we might need, but obviously Chambers can also cover that position.

Personally I think the priority after DM is a new winger, because its quite clear Walcott is now not in Wengers plans anymore.
  • LiveArsenal
    1337 posts Professional
    Arteta has the highest passing accuracy in the whole BPL this season with 94% :lol:
  • GK isnt a priority, theres nothing wrong with Ospina. Szczesny isnt nailed on to leave either.

CB is something we might need, but obviously Chambers can also cover that position.

Personally I think the priority after DM is a new winger, because its quite clear Walcott is now not in Wengers plans anymore.

I think Wenger wants to get rid of Szczesny though because hes had more opportunities than he deserves... plus it wont be long before Szczesny's dad has another rant about Wenger or the defending.

I'd get Schneiderlin. Even if Coquelin does maintain his form, he cant play that role every single game, and I dont rate Arteta at all as a CDM. Infact hes not even going to compete in attacking midfield.