Using 92 Del Piero

Tomb1302
7626 posts League Winner
Seeing as I'm as disgusted with the game as when I left, I decided to say to screw it, and go for ADP. I carefully examined his stats, and playstyle, growing increasingly excited by the reviews.

And here I am, left empty... AGAIN.

Rui was awful for me. Poor on the ball, slow, no longer a clinical passer, and an AWFUL finisher.

So I decided to use him and my remaining 480k for an icon I'd heard only positive things about.

I play 92 Del P as a single, or dual ST, on balanced PI's. I use a hawk chem style on him. I try to feed him in behind when the time is right, but I like to stall top of the box to try and set him up (Not forcing it, I promise).

My initial impressions are these -

- He is too slow for this game. Hate to say it, but he's caught up to easily.
- He is laughably weak, getting outmuscled by everyone who catches up to him. Funnily enough, that's just about everyone.
- His finishing is definitely high end, but still leaves me wanting more.
- His Work Rates make it that sometimes, he won't trigger any kind of run whatsoever.
- No semblance of long shots ability whatsoever, only testing the keeper.

I know, I could "get gud", but if I'm completely honest, I'm not a great FIFA player. Don't bother qualifying for WL, and only manage to breach Division 5 IF I'm lucky.

So now, before I'm stuck with a useless icon again, I'd like to ask Del Piero users how they go about using him, and how he becomes a "gamechanger" for them.

Cheers.

Comments

• JJ Illumina T
    192 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I play him as a cam in a 4-3-1-2... and hes been my best player for along time. Great passing, great runs off of the strikers holding the ball up for him or 1-2s.
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    I play him as a cam in a 4-3-1-2... and hes been my best player for along time. Great passing, great runs off of the strikers holding the ball up for him or 1-2s.

Chem styles, PI's? Can't do much with you simply stating he's good for you :/
  • Martythedoc
    2515 posts Fans' Favourite
    You are literally using him in the worst way possible.
    He's not strong
    He's not a speed merchant to run half the pitch or into corners

You are playing to his weakness.

I've heard he's a great cam. I however play him in a 4222 as a LS next to a big man (shearer or Higuain) with some pace on his left (mertans or Sanchez). Cut inside finesses are fantastic
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    He's not strong

I've heard he's a great cam. I however play him in a 4222 as a LS next to a big man (shearer or Higuain) with some pace on his left (mertans or Sanchez). Cut inside finesses are fantastic

So you recommend using him as CAM in contrast to a ST?

Would 4312, 4231, or 3412 work?
  • JJ Illumina T
    Sorry hawk, not near my console at the moment, I would have him stay up and outside the box from what I remember off hand. Checked his stats on my phone and in 139 games has 133 goals and I am assuiming the same for assists. I usually get it to him and start 1-2s with the strikers if I can and he will always keep running towards the net for the chip in or through ball, which I love. I hate when players stop their runs for no reason. Hes never let me down
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    Sorry hawk, not near my console at the moment, I would have him stay up and outside the box from what I remember off hand. Checked his stats on my phone and in 139 games has 133 goals and I am assuiming the same for assists. I usually get it to him and start 1-2s with the strikers if I can and he will always keep running towards the net for the chip in or through ball, which I love. I hate when players stop their runs for no reason. Hes never let me down

Combination play with the ST's? That's good advice mate. Cheers :)
  • Juked By Neymar
    3660 posts National Call-Up
    Never really seems to cause me too many issues when I play against him
  • JJ Illumina T
    edited January 2018
    Try him at cam and test him out. I have prime hernandez and now prime ronaldinho on the other side, up front. With all the icons (besides ronaldinho) I would never sell him.
  • Martythedoc
    2515 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited January 2018
    Tomb1302 wrote: »
    He's not strong

For me he's an LS not a cam. From my own experience I'd say he'd struggle in 4231 in any cam slot due to pace (wide) or strength (center)

The others are more likely to work

I use engine btw for the boost in the key areas pace, passing (the curve for the finesse) and agility and balance. Also on get in behind + balanced
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    Try him at cam and test him out. I have prime hernandez and now prime ronaldinho on the other side, up front. With all the icons (besides ronaldinho) I would never sell him.
    He's not strong

On get i
    Tomb1302 wrote: »
    He's not strong

For me he's an LS not a cam. From my own experience I'd say he'd struggle in 4231 in any cam slot due to pace (wide) or strength (center)

The others are more likely to work

I use engine btw for the boost in the key areas pace, passing (the curve for the finesse) and agility and balance. Also on get in behind + balanced

Appreciate it lads.
  • Stone_cold_tea93
    3647 posts National Call-Up
    I use him as a ST in 433 flat with a hunter style. 240 player 260 scored 141 assisted. He's a nimble player I twist and turn and pass pass with him till space opens up. He's not a bully so he won't bulldoze through a defence.

madness to trade Rui in for him though.
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    I use him as a ST in 433 flat with a hunter style. 240 player 260 scored 141 assisted. He's a nimble player I twist and turn and pass pass with him till space opens up. He's not a bully so he won't bulldoze through a defence.

madness to trade Rui in for him though.

Not necessarily. The guy was USELESS, and I got him for >400k, which made it the best (and only way) I could get Del Piero.

Twist and turn was what I seemed to be using. Might be the rest of my team?
  • ThisVergaRA
    392 posts Sunday League Hero
    best cam in game
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    best cam in game

Useless comment to me.
  • omarnyc
    4167 posts National Call-Up
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    omarnyc wrote: »

Hehe
  • Play him CAM in 4-1-2-1-2 (narrow or wide) CT’s- slow build up play, PI’s-stay forward. His low driven shots on either foot are as good as anyone’s, finesse shots are decent, use driven passes into him from wide as often as you can, he’s so good at bringing the ball under control
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    Damon3685 wrote: »
    Play him CAM in 4-1-2-1-2 (narrow or wide) CT’s- slow build up play, PI’s-stay forward. His low driven shots on either foot are as good as anyone’s, finesse shots are decent, use driven passes into him from wide as often as you can, he’s so good at bringing the ball under control
    Appreciate it!
  • Roobar
    1420 posts Play-Off Hero
    I would use Hunter not hawk. He's so weak the extra physical still makes him too weak so put some more pace on him. Also finesse from long range. Find the angles and he'll start sweeping them in left and right side
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    Roobar wrote: »
    I would use Hunter not hawk. He's so weak the extra physical still makes him too weak so put some more pace on him. Also finesse from long range. Find the angles and he'll start sweeping them in left and right side

Appreciate it

• Robbenhood
    1578 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'd play his prime at CAM. The 87 version is suited to play ST due to the better work rates and higher pace.

Try him CAM, stay forward, free roam. Honestly, if you think his long shots are poor, you're doing something wrong. He almost never misses from outside the box. Get him a little bit of space and finesse top bin every time with either foot. Use low drivens when in the box.
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    Robbenhood wrote: »
    I'd play his prime at CAM. The 87 version is suited to play ST due to the better work rates and higher pace.

Try him CAM, stay forward, free roam. Honestly, if you think his long shots are poor, you're doing something wrong. He almost never misses from outside the box. Get him a little bit of space and finesse top bin every time with either foot. Use low drivens when in the box.

Think I'll go for this with Engine. Cheers mate
  • aceofknaves73
    1117 posts Professional
    I use him as a cf in a 433(5). In my opinion he is pefect there. His ability to link up the play is amazing. I dont find his pace a problem at all. His finishing is unreal and overall he fits my team and playstyle perfectly. Maybe play him a little deeper? Use him as part of the build up? In mt team he assists just as many as he scores.
  • His pace has never been a problem for me in 600 games, he can easily run with usual suspects sweaty CBS from halfway line to penalty box. You gotta learn the finesse of using the smaller players with great dribbling. Messi/Dybala/Mertens/ADP types. Del piero isn't even tiny anyways so he can hold himself ok.
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    I use him as a cf in a 433(5). In my opinion he is pefect there. His ability to link up the play is amazing. I dont find his pace a problem at all. His finishing is unreal and overall he fits my team and playstyle perfectly. Maybe play him a little deeper? Use him as part of the build up? In mt team he assists just as many as he scores.
    holdenwait wrote: »
    His pace has never been a problem for me in 600 games, he can easily run with usual suspects sweaty CBS from halfway line to penalty box. You gotta learn the finesse of using the smaller players with great dribbling. Messi/Dybala/Mertens/ADP types. Del piero isn't even tiny anyways so he can hold himself ok.

Thank you both. Will reconsider how I play him :)

• RayS
    34745 posts World Cup Winner
    My maw told me to stay away from Del Piero
  • hayhor1
    15078 posts World Class
    Play him at cam.
  • RayS
    Tbh tho glad to hear I’m not the only one who can’t do WL. I’m consisten D6 and sometimes get a good run in D5. The way everyone talks on the forums, everyone seems like a top 100 WL player
  • RayS
    I will say tho, in D6 it seems most people are just running full NIF teams, so I feel like a bit of a loser with all my IFs and special cards in my team and can’t make it higher!!
  • Tomb1302
    7626 posts League Winner
    RayS wrote: »
    My maw told me to stay away from Del Piero

Why @RayS ?!