Somewhat OT: Need a New TV -- Think i've made my decision, good or bad?

TurdFerguson
2292 posts Fans' Favourite
edited January 2018
So my old flat-screen finally died on me. I'm in the market for a new one. The reason this is somewhat OT is that I know if I want the best option for fifa I would get a monitor, but this will be for daily TV use as well as PS4, and I can't be bothered to buy a monitor too.

I'm looking for a HD flat screen in the 45"-55" range, but it can't be crazy expensive. Any suggestions on high quality TV that's good bang for your buck?

LED v. plasma?

Is there a specific feature I should be looking for when it comes to gaming? I think I've heard people talking about response rates or something?

Any advice would be appreciated, probably going to go the best buy/amazon route. Cheers boys.

update: I think I am going to go with the TCL 55P607. Anyone try this or heard anything good or bad?
Post edited by TurdFerguson on

Comments

• deang07
    8097 posts League Winner
    Sony bravias are amazing for all round gaming and viewing m8 good statistics in all areas . I used to use samsungs and when i switched to sony bravia i was quite shocked at the diff especially in fifa
  • TurdFerguson
    deang07 wrote: »
    Sony bravias are amazing for all round gaming and viewing m8 good statistics in all areas . I used to use samsungs and when i switched to sony bravia i was quite shocked at the diff especially in fifa

interesting, thanks. Difference in terms of what? picture quality or like actual response time?
  • nitraw
    2079 posts Fans' Favourite
    me personally? i would never touch a sony tv. but that's me personally. i'd go for samsung or panasonic.
  • nitraw
    oh and go for led dont bother with plasma
  • Koll
    1447 posts Professional
    Plasmas are super nice, except they have a small burn-in problem (not too big of an issue). Blacks really pop on plasma tvs and the picture is always excellent. I'd definitely try to get one if you can find one in your price range (not sure what they cost nowadays).

If you're more interested in an LED or LCD tv, try to get one with a response time under 10ms but don't beat yourself up over it if you can't.
  • joelhard87
    131 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I have a sony bravia and rate it... some need a sound bar though as the speakers can be at a bit average but in terms of picture quality they are are top notch
  • deang07
    8097 posts League Winner

interesting, thanks. Difference in terms of what? picture quality or like actual response time?

Well obv sony tv links with sony ps4. i instantly noticed a smoother pic and much more responsive gameplay especially with fifa as its the go to game.
    Now i know there are better tvs and also alot worse but as an allround for gaming quality and viewing purposes with a great picture this is a great option in the mid range price bracket imo.
  • TurdFerguson
    Looking online now...looks like BRAVIA's a pretty expensive...you think i'm better off getting a Samsung 4k or a sony bravia 1080?
  • deang07
    8097 posts League Winner
    Looking online now...looks like BRAVIA's a pretty expensive...you think i'm better off getting a Samsung 4k or a sony bravia 1080?

Depends do you have a ps4 pro or 4k movies/tv content if not then the 4k is wasted anyway
  • deang07
    8097 posts League Winner
    I have a bravia 50 inch kdl 50w809c 1080 and its awsome my best pal has a ps4 pro and a samsung 4k and honestly i dont think hes looks any better .
    Im only gonna upgrade to 4k when theres alot more content as a ps4 pro aint a substantial or native upgrade
  • TurdFerguson
    okay sounds good, I'm going to look for a 1080 with a low lag time in my price range then I guess, appreciate all the advice fellas.
  • Devers
    7399 posts League Winner
    I was the same as yerself, needed a good tv for gaming, but for the whole family to as it going into main living room.

Bravia is great, had one for 12 years.sony are really good,but times are changing and a few competitors are chatching up and overtaking them, your mainly paying extra money for the name!

Black friday i upgraded, got the LG B7 55" and i am blown away.
    Amazing tv and top class for gaming and family use.really had to be seen to be appreciated.

I was researching many different kinds for maybe 6 months before i settled on it,and its the best decision i made as im future proofed.

I wanted another tv that would go the distance the bravia did.

What is your budget? I was checking everything may be able to help.
  • deang07
    8097 posts League Winner
    okay sounds good, I'm going to look for a 1080 with a low lag time in my price range then I guess, appreciate all the advice fellas.

Whats budget as mine is over a yr old now must be a gr8 price as it was reasonable when i got it .
  • deang07
    8097 posts League Winner

Whats budget as mine is over a yr old now must be a gr8 price as it was reasonable when i got it .
  • mascherano16
    1155 posts Professional
    I have a Sony 4K tv, very happy
    Had experience with top end Samsung tv, but after 5 replacements for death pixels went with Sony
  • KKTHX
    1101 posts Professional
    A real expensive plasma beats everything. I bought the new Samsung 60" 4k LED for about 1500 euros. Works just fine.
  • nitraw
    if you have money go for oled. i dont understand why anyone would spend money on a plasma
  • TurdFerguson
    edited January 2018
    @Devers @deang07 My budget is around $500, unfortunately...just don’t have the funds to drop much more than that. I found a database that compares different models input lags, does this really make a significant difference? If so, I might use it as my deciding factor in a tv
  • Florianr104
    4303 posts National Call-Up

I got a 50 inch Sony Bravia and I second this. Its HDR is way above any other I’ve seen and 4k looks super crisp on it. You can get some models for under a grand too I believe.

If you do end up getting one, hit me up via PM because they do require some tweaks in the settings to get the best out of them.
  • dbslbu
    1814 posts Fans' Favourite
    Had a Samsung for about 6 years. It died on me so I picked up a 4K 43” LG and it’s immense. The smart functions are great. The interface is far superior to any other smart tv I’ve owned or seen. I also have a 4K Acer monitor in my bedroom which is immense but for TVs you can’t go wrong with LG. They’re affordable too. Apparently all the other big brands use up to 90% LG components. Can’t recall where I heard or read that but it stuck on my head!
  • deang07
    8097 posts League Winner
    @Devers @deang07 My budget is around $500, unfortunately...just don’t have the funds to drop much more than that. I found a database that compares different models input lags, does this really make a significant difference? If so, I might use it as my deciding factor in a tv

It does make a difference but not tons unless its really high .
    Mine has very good imput delay so it feels very smooth and responsive youl notice it more in the menus when flicking through things as the frames per second is very good 2
    Mine was around 750 well over a yr ago must be around the 500 mark now i put the model num in one of my 1st posts in here look it up mate.
  • fifaplayerbol
    4320 posts National Call-Up
    I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 37 inch if you want to play games competitively on it - I used to play on a 65" LED and FIFA was impossible, you constantly have to move your head so much....

A 32-40" is the sweet spot imo
  • TurdFerguson
    tphealy wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 37 inch if you want to play games competitively on it - I used to play on a 65" LED and FIFA was impossible, you constantly have to move your head so much....

yeah I hear ya, but this will be used more for watching TV programming than for gaming, and I would rather enjoy it for that and have to move my head around then regret not getting a bigger screen just to be a bit more competitive on fifa.
  • TurdFerguson
    @deang07 @Devers Alright boys, I think I have found my TV...I think I'm going to go with the TCL P series. I have been doing a good bit of research, and this seems like it gives amazing value, it's a 55" with great picture quality and very low input lag, runs about $600.

Any scathing reviews out there from you guys on TCLs? Speak now or forever hold my regret!!

• hayhor1
    14220 posts Has That Special Something
    LG
  • hayhor1
    14220 posts Has That Special Something
    tphealy wrote: »

Totally depends on how far you sit away.......
  • deang07
    8097 posts League Winner
    @deang07 @Devers Alright boys, I think I have found my TV...I think I'm going to go with the TCL P series. I have been doing a good bit of research, and this seems like it gives amazing value, it's a 55" with great picture quality and very low input lag, runs about $600.

Any scathing reviews out there from you guys on TCLs? Speak now or forever hold my regret!!

Ive never heard of it but if uve read up and it has all what u want then sounds good m8 just read up on the reviews from what ppl like yourself are saying .
    Gl mate hope its great
  • TurdFerguson

Ive never heard of it but if uve read up and it has all what u want then sounds good m8 just read up on the reviews from what ppl like yourself are saying .
    Gl mate hope its great

Thanks man, appreciate it, kind of a big decision so I don’t want to get it wrong
  • deang07
    8097 posts League Winner

Gl mate hope its great

Thanks man, appreciate it, kind of a big decision so I don’t want to get it wrong

Im sure you be fine dude if u hit the reviews when i looked at mine instore i made them plug the instore ps4 in to have a look and go through settings ect lol shop will be very accomodating if your gna splash the cash .
  • Devers
    7399 posts League Winner

Gl mate hope its great

never heard of them myself, but as dean says read up on it, or even test one out in shop when you go to view.

input lag was the main factor for me when i was looking. goodluck