Advice for always getting hit on the counter

Basdost
83 posts Park Captain
The only time I concede goals is on the counter. My midfield always seems to push too far up and I can never catch up to the through balls to Neymar, aubameyang, etc.

Any advice to not concede goals on the counter?

Comments

• Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Kyle Walker.
  • Oktagon
    287 posts Sunday League Hero
    Use a formation with at least 1 CDM. Try to keep him to stay back, though that's too hard even with the right workrates and instructions.
    More importantly, keep your cool. Don't overcommit on tackles, rather slow it down. Track runs and contain the ball handler, just don't focus on getting the ball back yet. Try to predict what he is gonna do and prevent that option. Buying time is your best option to get the rest of your team behind the ball.

If all else fails, commit a foul. This will kill the counter attack immediately and 9/10 of these players just do not know how to score without a counter. A yellow card is still better than a goal.
  • Vid
    302 posts Sunday League Hero
    Oktagon wrote: »
    Use a formation with at least 1 CDM. Try to keep him to stay back, though that's too hard even with the right workrates and instructions.
    More importantly, keep your cool. Don't overcommit on tackles, rather slow it down. Track runs and contain the ball handler, just don't focus on getting the ball back yet. Try to predict what he is gonna do and prevent that option. Buying time is your best option to get the rest of your team behind the ball.

If all else fails, commit a foul. This will kill the counter attack immediately and 9/10 of these players just do not know how to score without a counter. A yellow card is still better than a goal.

the cdm always bombs forward, make sure the cdm has 70+ pace and the fullback 85+ pace
  • RadioShaq
    15249 posts Moderator
    Turn down all your speed passing etc then go ultra defensive. When you have the ball never push up into their box unless its a guaranteed score. If you end up in their half without score pass back to reset your team.
  • Godfarmer
    345 posts Sunday League Hero
    Strangely I conceed less goals now with Terry and Fonte (both tots) at the back than faster cbs. Full backs with pace helps to cover.

You can tell when a player will lob a through ball as there is a little pause before kicking it. Try running back with one player to cover it.

Some will get through if they play enough, but maybe rush the keeper, a lot cannot chip well under pressure
  • Basdost
    83 posts Park Captain
    I use 433 (4) and both of my cm's are med/med. is that bad? Some games I do well and can control the game, but other games it seems like my midfield is always up in attack.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    What's your team? if it's balanced and you're not playing ultra attacking there's no reason to be caught on the counter too often, but there isn't a way to completely prevent it except playing ultra defensive or not losing the ball. ever.
  • Basdost
    83 posts Park Captain
    Tots bolasie- motm chicharito- vela
    If Fellaini- Modric- motm rakitic
    Souare- rojo- tots otamendi- if srna
    If Diego alves

433(4)
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    433-4 is a very attacking formation and very prone to counters because you don't have a proper CDM. Also both your CM are med/med so they don't support defence enough. Did you set Fellaini to "stay back while attacking"?

You can change to 433-3, much more solid defensively and not that different in attack.
  • Vid
    302 posts Sunday League Hero
    Basdost wrote: »
    Tots bolasie- motm chicharito- vela
    If Fellaini- Modric- motm rakitic
    Souare- rojo- tots otamendi- if srna
    If Diego alves

433(4)
    **** defense, 1 silver fullback, the other under 80 pace and Rojo, worst CB in the game

• Basdost
    83 posts Park Captain
    Would it be worth it to get another premier league left back and use bolasie on 8 chem?
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    Basdost wrote: »
    Would it be worth it to get another premier league left back and use bolasie on 8 chem?

Yes, but it won't solve all your probelms.

Try this: futhead.com/15/squads/34179553/
  • Basdost
    83 posts Park Captain
    I like the looks of that with matic. Thanks for the help.