Ot: Liverpool signs van Dijk

Comments

• G12OGN
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    Argie8 wrote: »
    One of the best centre backs in the world
    Only takes a couple years for you to become a world beater.
    Hollandman wrote: »
    Virgil is by far the best centre back in the Bpl.

:joy: :joy:

Not denying his a good defender and his what Liverpool need, but come on... :joy:
  • No_NaMe
    9253 posts League Winner
    Bailly is better than Van Dijk, Otamendi isn’t.
  • Hodor
    1394 posts Play-Off Hero
    He's the best CB in the prem and arguably in all top divisions. What's wrong with signing him for 75 mil?
    We will make that back in a couple days with shirt sales.

Once he gets into our squad no other teams will be able to beat us - you won't know whats hit you.
    Scoring 5 each game and never conceding can only mean we're on course for world domination.
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    Dutchman in thinking Dutch defender is best in the league shocker!! Who would've thunk it.
  • CPFC16
    2073 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great signing, well needed. Yeah 75m is a bit much but that’s how it is. He’s an extremely talented CB in my opinion, clearly not playing well atm because he just doesn’t want to be at Southampton. I remember watching him a good bit at Celtic, he’s a huge presence. Should be a huge help to whoever partners him at CB whether it be Lovren or whoever.
  • weims
    2031 posts Fans' Favourite
    Hodor wrote: »
    He's the best CB in the prem and arguably in all top divisions. What's wrong with signing him for 75 mil?

Once he gets into our squad no other teams will be able to beat us - you won't know whats hit you.
    Scoring 5 each game and never conceding can only mean we're on course for world domination.

Not sure if trolling or serious....
  • Hitman_Hatton
    weims wrote: »
    Hodor wrote: »

Not sure if trolling or serious....

(If he is being serious)

Bulk of shirt sales goes to the manufacturer, which is why they pay such huge sums for the rights to make the kit in the first place.
  • BcfcDale88
    3697 posts National Call-Up
    Liverpool F.C. league winners January 2018.
  • Danic123
    2441 posts Fans' Favourite
    Maybe that Bailly is better,but Alderweireld Verthongen really?

In the real world, Alderweireld is the best centre half in the league. If you’re talking back 3, then Azpilcueta takes too spot, but he’d be no good in a central 2 in the traditional back 4.

Bailly is decent but a long way from the quality of VVD. Verthongen is better than Bailly but still not in the class of VVD. Otamendi is just a ridiculous suggestion, He’s not even near the quality of the other lot.
  • Danic123
    2441 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think VVD has the physical qualities to be the best. He certainly hasn't shown he is the best yet.

Of those 5 you listed, I'd only rate Alderweireld and Azpi as being better... but Azpi can only excel in a 3 man defence due to his physical stature. Bailly certainly could be great, he's just injured far too often.

This. Not entirely sure Klopp is the best manager to improve him in that sense, but he slots straight in as the leader in that defence.

Take a look at how he improved Hummells at Dortmund. LFC have been utter rubbish in pressure situations because the players just aren’t good enough. VVD helps rectify part of the problem.
  • Currieman
    4943 posts National Call-Up
    Good signing but definitely not worth 75m.
  • Choepiechakie
    31554 posts National Team Captain
    Izzy2K17 wrote: »
    VICTAAAA wrote: »
    Regardless of price paid, as a fan you should be happy that an obvious need is being addressed.

this, i mean... how does Arsenal still not have a proper holding mid?!?!?! :cry:

N’Zonzi would be great

Nzonzi isnt even a proper cdm
  • Bob_Dylan
    19409 posts World Class
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    Cba reading all the hate comments but all I'll say is that he is exactly what we needed. One of the best centre backs in the world and could well be our most important player. 75mil is crazy money but in today's market it's no big surprise.

And that comment about Ox is straight on the money. No idea why anyone would be surprised by this haha

One of the best in the world?! He’s not even top 5 in the league.

Out of curiosity who do you rate as top 5? I feel like top class (prime Vidic / Rio type) CBs are hard as heck to come by these days. There are several good ones but each has his own flaws that prevents them from being a really top defender.

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk

*Vertonghen
    *Azpilicueta
    *Bailly

Do you even watch football?
  • Choepiechakie
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    Cba reading all the hate comments but all I'll say is that he is exactly what we needed. One of the best centre backs in the world and could well be our most important player. 75mil is crazy money but in today's market it's no big surprise.

And that comment about Ox is straight on the money. No idea why anyone would be surprised by this haha

Out of curiosity who do you rate as top 5? I feel like top class (prime Vidic / Rio type) CBs are hard as heck to come by these days. There are several good ones but each has his own flaws that prevents them from being a really top defender.

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk

*Vertonghen
    *Azpilicueta
    *Bailly

Otamendi is shocking too
  • Hitman_Hatton

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk

*Vertonghen
    *Azpilicueta
    *Bailly

Otamendi is shocking too

Having a good season.
  • Choepiechakie

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk

*Vertonghen
    *Azpilicueta
    *Bailly

Otamendi is shocking too

Having a good season.
    That doesnt make him better, does it
  • hoban95
    49041 posts FIFA Cover Star
    As if I've just read VVD is one of the best CBs in the world.

Ahahahahahhahaha
  • Hitman_Hatton

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk

*Vertonghen
    *Azpilicueta
    *Bailly

Otamendi is shocking too

Having a good season.
    That doesnt make him better, does it

Makes him better than 'shocking'.
  • hoban95
    Dutchman in thinking Dutch defender is best in the league shocker!! Who would've thunk it.

They probs think De Vrij is the best in Italy as well.
  • No_NaMe
    9253 posts League Winner
    Imagine thinking VVD is better than Azpi :D
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20914 posts Club Captain
    No_NaMe wrote: »

Or Toby...
  • Lets hope he will develop more, for the sake of dutch football. We can use a leader and a solid defender in our national team
  • Michael LFC 96
    3711 posts National Call-Up
    Hahahaha is DaveSaves back again :joy:

Oh dear. He makes so many outlandish comments and statements, next he'll say Martial is better than Salah and Mata > Coutinho

:joy: :joy: :joy:
  • hoban95
    No_NaMe wrote: »

The bloke is arguably the best defender in the league ffs, can play in any position in the defense.
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    Lol Man Utd fans get proper bitter when other clubs splash the cash.

Going to predict that if Mourinho doesn't get backed with huge funds in January then Liverpool to finish ahead of them.
  • Scholesyy
    1405 posts Professional
    edited December 2017
    Rutta wrote: »

Going to predict that if Mourinho doesn't get backed with huge funds in January then Liverpool to finish ahead of them.

Don't think that's a general opinion for United fans. I'm not bitter at all. Even if he's way better than every defender at Pool I don't see how it will affect Liverpools defence massively this season and I love how Klopp talks about what other clubs spend and then this happens.

Liverpool is the top club I worry least about.

And on topic of other BPL defenders. I rate Baily very high, Spurs defenders as well. But Otamendi is just as bad as he's a massive ****. Think he'll be replaced in time but hope not.
  • P1stolpete187
    5926 posts Big Money Move
    good signing but to say he is the best in the league is just crazy, he had a good spell at saints but so did Lovren only time will tell if he was worth the money.
  • hoban95
    edited December 2017
    Scholesyy wrote: »

Don't think that's a general opinion for United fans. I'm not bitter at all. Even if he's way better than every defender at Pool I don't see how it will affect Liverpools defence massively this season and I love how Klopp talks about what other clubs spend and then this happens.

And on topic of other BPL defenders. I rate Baily very high, Spurs defenders as well. But Otamendi is just as bad as he's a massive ****. Think he'll be replaced in time but hope not.

Otamendi won't be replaced any time soon :joy:

• Argie8
    5815 posts Big Money Move
    Danic123 wrote: »

In the real world, Alderweireld is the best centre half in the league. If you’re talking back 3, then Azpilcueta takes too spot, but he’d be no good in a central 2 in the traditional back 4.

Bailly is decent but a long way from the quality of VVD. Verthongen is better than Bailly but still not in the class of VVD. Otamendi is just a ridiculous suggestion, He’s not even near the quality of the other lot.

Yup, this. Let's face it, VVD is far too good for us. That's why we are all so excited. I wouldn't have begrudge him if he'd gone to City instead. It's our biggest signing since Torres (not counting Suarez as he was more of a risk at the time imo).
    hoban95 wrote: »

It's a fun stat but absolutely meaningless for a CB. Just means he gets the ball a lot. Think Hendo has the most passes in our side and he's our worst starter
  • hoban95
    Danic123 wrote: »

Yup, this. Let's face it, VVD is far too good for us. That's why we are all so excited. I wouldn't have begrudge him if he'd gone to City instead. It's our biggest signing since Torres (not counting Suarez as he was more of a risk at the time imo).
    hoban95 wrote: »

It's a fun stat but absolutely meaningless for a CB. Just means he gets the ball a lot. Think Hendo has the most passes in our side and he's our worst starter

Might be meaningless to you but it certainly isn't to his manager who demands his sides play out from the back. It's funny how people praise Sterling, Sane, Silva etc but refuse to praise Otamendi considering he's having a hell of a season so far. The only consistent in that City defense.