Ot: Liverpool signs van Dijk

Comments

• Danic123
    2513 posts Fans' Favourite
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    I've never understood why people constantly bang on with 'HAHAHA YOUR CLUB PAID X AMOUNT FOR Y PLAYER HAHAHA'
    Like anyone should care, the clubs are paying the money, not us.
    I'm just excited that we finally signed him, don't care how much he cost the club, he's a vast improvement on Lovren and Klavan and that's all I care about!

Because this opinion wasn’t considered valid when United fans said it about Pogba.

Now it’s Liverpool spending the money you’re all desperate to justify it.

That was years ago and seemed outlandish given the market. Nowadays of course it's a bargain, I'm sure I said this a few months back.

You don’t find it a bit “outlandish” that 75m was just paid for a CB?

I understand the factors of why the fees that much, but it’s still a bit crazy

Money for players is stupid these days. Keep up or fall away.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    31913 posts National Team Captain
    most of liverpools goals conceded come from individual errors. better players fixes this. @davesaves is probably upset because he has to watch his team cross it 500 times a game to justify paying 75m for pookaku.

Pretty sure that’s more down to managerial tactics than anything.
  • Danic123
    I've never understood why people constantly bang on with 'HAHAHA YOUR CLUB PAID X AMOUNT FOR Y PLAYER HAHAHA'
    Like anyone should care, the clubs are paying the money, not us.
    I'm just excited that we finally signed him, don't care how much he cost the club, he's a vast improvement on Lovren and Klavan and that's all that matters to me!

I’m sure you had a laugh when we signed Pogba and/or Lukaku

Course we did. And why wouldn’t we? One was a youth product you let go for nothing & the other is not good enough for United long term.

That said, both improved your first team so what do you care?
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    Danic123 wrote: »
    What a **** signing. Made my Xmas. 100 times better than any CB we already have. As for the cash, not my money and it’s about time we acted like a big club again.

Acted being the key word
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Random thought: Why do I never see City fanboys on these forums?

It's always the fans of the B teams arguing with each other. :trollface:
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    Santiago wrote: »

34065705-93_E5-48_F5-85_EF-_C3_C7_A02_CAD14.jpg
  • Argie8
    5833 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2017
    Cba reading all the hate comments but all I'll say is that he is exactly what we needed. One of the best centre backs in the world and could well be our most important player. 75mil is crazy money but in today's market it's no big surprise.

And that comment about Ox is straight on the money. No idea why anyone would be surprised by this haha
  • Danic123
    Couchy wrote: »
    Danic123 wrote: »
    What a **** signing. Made my Xmas. 100 times better than any CB we already have. As for the cash, not my money and it’s about time we acted like a big club again.

Acted being the key word

Agreed. But you have to act like one before you can legitimately realistically think about winning the top trophies. The old "Next year is our year" is the rubbish I get off a Manc mate every year. I can't really say that though if we are never even trying to improve our team.

Summer onwards is first time I've thought we may actually be trying to compete as opposed to just doing an Aresnal and rolling in at top 4 every year.
  • McClean
    776 posts Semi-Pro
    Argie8 wrote: »
    One of the best centre backs in the world and could well be our most important player. 75mil is crazy money but in today's market it's no big surprise.

Funny that, one of the best centre backs in the world, I bet you were one of those who said that he would never make it in your league 2 years ago. You could have saved £60m by buying him off Celtic. :D
  • Kai9623
    6808 posts Big Money Move
    Good signing but 75m lol
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    McClean wrote: »
    One of the best centre backs in the world and could well be our most important player. 75mil is crazy money but in today's market it's no big surprise.

Funny that, one of the best centre backs in the world, I bet you were one of those who said that he would never make it in your league 2 years ago. You could have saved £60m by buying him off Celtic. :D

Bloody nice of @Argie8 to stump up the cash to sign him.
  • Argie8

2 years ago I didn't know much about him at all! That's just football for you. Only takes a couple years for you to become a world beater. Just praying he performs now
    Peter wrote: »

Bloody nice of @Argie8 to stump up the cash to sign him.

You're welcome pal x
  • McClean
    776 posts Semi-Pro

2 years ago I didn't know much about him at all! That's just football for you. Only takes a couple years for you to become a world beater. Just praying he performs now

You’re telling me he’s became a £75m player in two seasons?
  • Matnevesbra
    1099 posts Professional
    We paid 8 mil for coutinho and will sell for 140+ whatever paying 70 for a decent cb then
  • Scholesyy
    1405 posts Professional
    Santiago wrote: »

Foe the same reason you don't see goblins and trolls in the supermarket.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Cba reading all the hate comments but all I'll say is that he is exactly what we needed. One of the best centre backs in the world and could well be our most important player. 75mil is crazy money but in today's market it's no big surprise.

And that comment about Ox is straight on the money. No idea why anyone would be surprised by this haha

One of the best in the world?! He’s not even top 5 in the league.
  • weims
    2041 posts Fans' Favourite

Out of curiosity who do you rate as top 5? I feel like top class (prime Vidic / Rio type) CBs are hard as heck to come by these days. There are several good ones but each has his own flaws that prevents them from being a really top defender.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    weims wrote: »

Out of curiosity who do you rate as top 5? I feel like top class (prime Vidic / Rio type) CBs are hard as heck to come by these days. There are several good ones but each has his own flaws that prevents them from being a really top defender.

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk
  • Hollandman
    2384 posts Fans' Favourite
    Virgil is by far the best centre back in the Bpl.Only thing is that sometimes he think to easy.Now he has a new challenge and thats what he needed
  • jpsblue
    3954 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2017
    most of liverpools goals conceded come from individual errors. better players fixes this. @davesaves is probably upset because he has to watch his team cross it 500 times a game to justify paying 75m for pookaku.
    Individual errors are a product of a defensive system, pal. It's why Lovren never had the brain farts he has at Liverpool then he did under Poch at Southampton.
    Hollandman wrote: »
    Virgil is by far the best centre back in the Bpl.Only thing is that sometimes he think to easy.Now he has a new challenge and thats what he needed
    You scousers need to take off your red tinted spectacles for a sec. best CB in the EPL, spare me pal :D
  • Hollandman
    Who is better then?
  • weims
    2041 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think VVD has the physical qualities to be the best. He certainly hasn't shown he is the best yet.

Of those 5 you listed, I'd only rate Alderweireld and Azpi as being better... but Azpi can only excel in a 3 man defence due to his physical stature. Bailly certainly could be great, he's just injured far too often.
  • IICazorlaII
    43 posts Last Pick at the Park
    If this money is spent wisely, it could take Southampton to the next level. Fill their obvious need for a goalscorer and a replacement, suddenly they look like a really solid team.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk

Otamendi??
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Who is better then?

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk
  • IICazorlaII
    43 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I think VVD has the physical qualities to be the best. He certainly hasn't shown he is the best yet.

Of those 5 you listed, I'd only rate Alderweireld and Azpi as being better... but Azpi can only excel in a 3 man defence due to his physical stature. Bailly certainly could be great, he's just injured far too often.

This. Not entirely sure Klopp is the best manager to improve him in that sense, but he slots straight in as the leader in that defence.

• Hollandman
    Maybe that Bailly is better,but Alderweireld Verthongen really?
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    Who is better then?

In no particular order;

Vertongen
    Alderwiereld
    Azpi
    Bailey
    Otamendi

All better than Van Dijk

Can't agree with Otamendi.

Bailey is debatable.
    The others yeah, probably.

I would say VVD has the potential to be top 5.
  • Argie8
    edited December 2017

You’re telling me he’s became a £75m player in two seasons?

I'm not saying he should be valued at 75mil. Market prices are meaningless atm. Lemar wasn't worth anywhere near 90mil in my eyes but there were 2 teams willing to pay it therefore that is what he is worth to them.It's all about whether you are willing to pay the fee. I'm surprised they turned down anything over 50 for van dijk. 75mil is acceptable however all things considered imo

Hahahaha oh dear. He's comfortably in the top 5. He's by far the most complete CB in the league. Head and shoulders above Baily and Otamendi. And azpi isn't as good in a two, can't compete with VVD In the air.
    jpsblue wrote: »
    Individual errors are a product of a defensive system, pal. It's why Lovren never had the brain farts he has at Liverpool then he did under Poch at Southampton.
    You scousers need to take off your red tinted spectacles for a sec. best CB in the EPL, spare me pal :D

Not based on this season, but an argument could be made in terms of ability .

Individual errors are based on the player. If you can't do the basics then it's on you. Lovren has never been a good player. He looked ok at Southampton as he had Wanyama and Sneiderlin in front of him and Fonte next to him.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Lol. I give up with you lot.