EA, it's a trap! begining of the end for packs/loot boxes

Comments

  • Blarix
    20845 posts Club Captain
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Blarix wrote: »
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    It isn't getten taken to court it is starting legislation to curb/stop predatory practices.

    If you are so against it why do you keep spending?

    insanity

    Because I am an adult and I know what I am getting into. As far as I can tell the laws would be to stop/curb children targeting.

    Oh yeah the kid with credit card, completely forgot about him. Poor parenting shouldn't be excused
  • TalentFG
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    Blarix wrote: »
    ''I suck at trading, I suck at the game, I don't have enough money to open packs...attack EA'' solution.

    I'm decent at the first two, and could quite happily put money into packs.

    Damn, @Blarix , I really didn't have you down as someone that would be this passionate in your defence of EA. Using the argument that people must suck at this or that, just to have an opinion. Shame.

    Traders build teams of people opening packs. Of course they will try to defend that position
  • Ian_Ando08
    10917 posts Has That Special Something
    Blarix wrote: »
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Blarix wrote: »
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    It isn't getten taken to court it is starting legislation to curb/stop predatory practices.

    If you are so against it why do you keep spending?

    insanity

    Because I am an adult and I know what I am getting into. As far as I can tell the laws would be to stop/curb children targeting.

    Oh yeah the kid with credit card, completely forgot about him. Poor parenting shouldn't be excused

    he has a point here..
  • Hibee
    12409 posts Has That Special Something
    I do prefer the Pro Eve method of providing odds. But people should realise that there would be no FUT without packs.
  • Blarix
    20845 posts Club Captain
    Blarix wrote: »
    Blarix wrote: »
    ''I suck at trading, I suck at the game, I don't have enough money to open packs...attack EA'' solution.

    I'm decent at the first two, and could quite happily put money into packs.

    Damn, @Blarix , I really didn't have you down as someone that would be this passionate in your defence of EA. Using the argument that people must suck at this or that, just to have an opinion. Shame.

    It's just frustration boiling over that is the simple fact. This was in for years but all of the sudden its a big deal.

    There's fresh momentum behind it due to the backlash against star wars.

    You're not on the EA payroll, so don't feel the need to defend them.

    Because people are short sighted, it will only make things worse when they in reality think they are making it better.

    Fine EA will offer you a ronaldo but you have to pay this amount. It will become pure P2W mode even if they slap 18 plus rating on it. People like me rely on these whales to keep spending (as long as they are adults) take that option away and market is dead.
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    edited November 2017
    i buy packs at the start of the game because I enjoy the process, it also sets you up for a full year. Usually spend like £100-150 (i.e 24k or so FPs).

    It is a complete waste of money, but then so is anything depending on who you ask.


    I wouldn't spend a penny on a game like BF or COD, though.
  • TalentFG
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    coatsy2008 wrote: »
    i buy packs at the start of the game because I enjoy the process, it also sets you up for a full year. Usually spend like £100-150 (i.e 24k or so FPs).

    It is a complete waste of money, but then so is anything depending on who you ask.


    I wouldn't spend a penny on a game like BF or COD, though.

    Totally get this. I used to buy packs myself for enjoyment.

    My question to you is if they said hey you can buy these packs but you're only going to get dross, would you still buy them?

    I understand the question I'm asking is purely hypothetical
  • Pugzilla
    17329 posts World Class
    A couple guys in here are kinda doing what this guy on reddit suggests EA, and other companies, are betting on doing.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cji8a/i_work_in_electronic_media_pr_ill_tell_you_what/?st=JAAI9JDC&sh=dab05047
  • MattDaddy V1
    1688 posts Play-Off Hero
    The thing is by the definition of the law it's not gambling. If you buy a 24 rare gold players pack then you're guaranteed to get 24 gold rare players in that pack (unless it's fifa 14 lol) so you get what you've paid for. It's companies like the coalition that are technically promoting gambling, buy this delta Marcus Fenix pack for credits/real money for the chance to get Delta Marcus.

    The thing is the law/rules are so easy to manipulate to suit anyone's argument. Should companies be banned from doing giveaways or competitions? Buy this product or enter this competition for a chance to win this prize or that prize, is it a competition or just hidden gambling?

    What's the difference between putting a pound in a fruit machine and winning nothing, buying a lottery ticket or scratch card and winning nothing or buying say a packet of crisp running a find £20 in a pack promo and not finding £20 in there? (In before someone says well at least you still got your crisps lol.)
  • Ian_Ando08
    10917 posts Has That Special Something
    The thing is by the definition of the law it's not gambling. If you buy a 24 rare gold players pack then you're guaranteed to get 24 gold rare players in that pack (unless it's fifa 14 lol) so you get what you've paid for. It's companies like the coalition that are technically promoting gambling, buy this delta Marcus Fenix pack for credits/real money for the chance to get Delta Marcus.

    The thing is the law/rules are so easy to manipulate to suit anyone's argument. Should companies be banned from doing giveaways or competitions? Buy this product or enter this competition for a chance to win this prize or that prize, is it a competition or just hidden gambling?

    What's the difference between putting a pound in a fruit machine and winning nothing, buying a lottery ticket or scratch card and winning nothing or buying say a packet of crisp running a find £20 in a pack promo and not finding £20 in there? (In before someone says well at least you still got your crisps lol.)

    +1
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4102 posts National Call-Up
    well Disney have threatened to pull the plug on e.a which would cost them and there share holders an absolute fortune
    if it goes to the us senate there screwed basically
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    well Disney have threatened to pull the plug on e.a which would cost them and there share holders an absolute fortune
    if it goes to the us senate there screwed basically

    Not surprising really.

    Must be fuming at having the star wars brand dragged through the mud.
  • Knowlesdinho
    13424 posts Has That Special Something
    Santiago wrote: »
    Ian_Ando08 wrote: »
    we've been through this countless times it aint gambling

    to gamble you dont get a guaranteed return

    when you open packs you are guaranteed say 24 gold players all rare and you get them no gamble involved

    Because people open them packs wanting that 77 rated rare as their highest player don't they?

    That is gonna be your argument in court? Good luck with that.


    Swing and a miss.
  • frozenslash
    2272 posts Fans' Favourite
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    A couple guys in here are kinda doing what this guy on reddit suggests EA, and other companies, are betting on doing.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cji8a/i_work_in_electronic_media_pr_ill_tell_you_what/?st=JAAI9JDC&sh=dab05047

    Good read that.
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    TalentFG wrote: »
    coatsy2008 wrote: »
    i buy packs at the start of the game because I enjoy the process, it also sets you up for a full year. Usually spend like £100-150 (i.e 24k or so FPs).

    It is a complete waste of money, but then so is anything depending on who you ask.


    I wouldn't spend a penny on a game like BF or COD, though.

    Totally get this. I used to buy packs myself for enjoyment.

    My question to you is if they said hey you can buy these packs but you're only going to get dross, would you still buy them?

    I understand the question I'm asking is purely hypothetical

    Surely that is a risk you take. You could put £150 on 25 on a roulette table and the likelihood is you'll lose it. The risk is part of the fun. Packing a huge player is rare, but feels great. Its a "beat the system" moment.

    It's basically just gambling, your reward is just virtual.

    If they had nothing in then no one would buy them i.e Star Wars has nothing to make you think I MUST have this. It's not that sort of game and they've ❤️❤️❤️❤️ up trying to force it in and were rightly called out for it.
  • frozenslash
    2272 posts Fans' Favourite
    The thing is by the definition of the law it's not gambling. If you buy a 24 rare gold players pack then you're guaranteed to get 24 gold rare players in that pack (unless it's fifa 14 lol) so you get what you've paid for. It's companies like the coalition that are technically promoting gambling, buy this delta Marcus Fenix pack for credits/real money for the chance to get Delta Marcus.

    The thing is the law/rules are so easy to manipulate to suit anyone's argument. Should companies be banned from doing giveaways or competitions? Buy this product or enter this competition for a chance to win this prize or that prize, is it a competition or just hidden gambling?

    What's the difference between putting a pound in a fruit machine and winning nothing, buying a lottery ticket or scratch card and winning nothing or buying say a packet of crisp running a find £20 in a pack promo and not finding £20 in there? (In before someone says well at least you still got your crisps lol.)

    I agree and I think that’s the problem. In my opinion what EA are doing is gambling but they are technically breaking no laws in doing so.
  • TalentFG
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    Why do EA mention "double chance" on their double chance promotion packs? You still only get the same amount of rare players as stated on the packs.

    Could it be that they are using chance to drive sales of these packs?

    Hmmmmm


  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4102 posts National Call-Up
    as said by others on here Disney and George lucas will not allow the star wars brand to be trashed so e.a have to make massive changes on top of what they have done already or risk losing the license which in the long term would be billions not millions in lost revenue and the share price
  • Ian_Ando08
    10917 posts Has That Special Something
    TalentFG wrote: »
    Why do EA mention "double chance" on their double chance promotion packs? You still only get the same amount of rare players as stated on the packs.

    Could it be that they are using chance to drive sales of these packs?

    Hmmmmm


    now this is totally different and i agree with this as nobody knows the odds of getting a cracking player anyways
  • GeTRiGhT
    12466 posts Has That Special Something
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    A couple guys in here are kinda doing what this guy on reddit suggests EA, and other companies, are betting on doing.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cji8a/i_work_in_electronic_media_pr_ill_tell_you_what/?st=JAAI9JDC&sh=dab05047

    That's an interesting read
  • TalentFG
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ian_Ando08 wrote: »
    TalentFG wrote: »
    Why do EA mention "double chance" on their double chance promotion packs? You still only get the same amount of rare players as stated on the packs.

    Could it be that they are using chance to drive sales of these packs?

    Hmmmmm


    now this is totally different and i agree with this as nobody knows the odds of getting a cracking player anyways

    It's not totally different at all. You just don't have the answer for it.

    All pack sales are driven by the chance of pulling something decent. It's just in this case it's far more blatant
  • Ian_Ando08
    10917 posts Has That Special Something
    edited November 2017
    TalentFG wrote: »
    Ian_Ando08 wrote: »
    TalentFG wrote: »
    Why do EA mention "double chance" on their double chance promotion packs? You still only get the same amount of rare players as stated on the packs.

    Could it be that they are using chance to drive sales of these packs?

    Hmmmmm


    now this is totally different and i agree with this as nobody knows the odds of getting a cracking player anyways

    It's not totally different at all. You just don't have the answer for it.

    All pack sales are driven by the chance of pulling something decent. It's just in this case it's far more blatant

    no it is literally different Christ are you dumb?

    on normal packs EA say NOTHING about chance ... get that in your head please
  • TalentFG
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    as said by others on here Disney and George lucas will not allow the star wars brand to be trashed so e.a have to make massive changes on top of what they have done already or risk losing the license which in the long term would be billions not millions in lost revenue and the share price[/quote

    Could FIFA not apply the same approach to the use of their license?
  • Dr.Strange
    1479 posts Play-Off Hero
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    A couple guys in here are kinda doing what this guy on reddit suggests EA, and other companies, are betting on doing.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cji8a/i_work_in_electronic_media_pr_ill_tell_you_what/?st=JAAI9JDC&sh=dab05047

    Wow.
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4102 posts National Call-Up
    it says on eurogamer that the Belgian and dutch gambling commissions are now investigating the game and whether it should be classed as gambling
    looks like it is everywhere now ..started in asia now the states and europe
  • TalentFG
    1558 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ian_Ando08 wrote: »
    TalentFG wrote: »
    Ian_Ando08 wrote: »
    TalentFG wrote: »
    Why do EA mention "double chance" on their double chance promotion packs? You still only get the same amount of rare players as stated on the packs.

    Could it be that they are using chance to drive sales of these packs?

    Hmmmmm


    now this is totally different and i agree with this as nobody knows the odds of getting a cracking player anyways

    It's not totally different at all. You just don't have the answer for it.

    All pack sales are driven by the chance of pulling something decent. It's just in this case it's far more blatant

    no it is literally different Christ are you dumb?

    on normal packs EA say NOTHING about chance ... get that in your head please

    I'm dumb because you don't understand?

    Interesting concept
  • Blarix
    20845 posts Club Captain
    TalentFG wrote: »
    as said by others on here Disney and George lucas will not allow the star wars brand to be trashed so e.a have to make massive changes on top of what they have done already or risk losing the license which in the long term would be billions not millions in lost revenue and the share price[/quote

    Could FIFA not apply the same approach to the use of their license?

    No, they promised Pele that he will always be highest rated player in the game. We are good.
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    TalentFG wrote: »
    as said by others on here Disney and George lucas will not allow the star wars brand to be trashed so e.a have to make massive changes on top of what they have done already or risk losing the license which in the long term would be billions not millions in lost revenue and the share price[/quote

    Could FIFA not apply the same approach to the use of their license?

    I think FIFAs brand/name has been dragged through the mud enough these past few years for them to give a damn about EA tarnishing it anymore through digital packs.
  • TwoZebras
    5320 posts Big Money Move
    EA really need to release the odds for players in packs

    You know nothing it's not transparent at all
  • jdros
    2657 posts Fans' Favourite
    TalentFG wrote: »
    Why do EA mention "double chance" on their double chance promotion packs? You still only get the same amount of rare players as stated on the packs.

    Could it be that they are using chance to drive sales of these packs?

    Hmmmmm


    When is the last time they did a "double chance" promotion (don't remember if they ever had one last year)? Happy hours every week a few FIFAs ago to none a year later. Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the plug because they were advised to.
Sign In or Register to comment.