The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Domestic Football Is Back

Comments

• Ofthewelsh
    3568 posts National Call-Up
    Couchy wrote: »
    hoban95 wrote: »
    This idea of England players looking disinterested is such a farce.

"They don't care about the shirt."
    "They don't care about winning."
    "They have no passion or desire."
    "Just over paid mercenaries."

What a load of b*llocks.

It’s really not though is it. How many withdraws? They don’t give a f about playing for England. These two games are against Germany and Brazil ffs.

They aren't qualifiers though. You can understand withdrawals from friendlies to an extent, especially with the busy xmas period looming. Giggs wouldn't play a friendly for Wales if he noticed his shoelace untied, never mind if he was carrying a knock.

@Hitman_Hatton I know where you're coming from to extent, but I think you're clutching at straws a bit. Even these sliding door moments don't account for the last few tournaments. I'm not saying there's no effort, I'm just wondering where the problem lies?
    I'm not looking to cause offence at all. I know for us smaller nations, resources and players are limited. Take NI last night, or Wales through qualifying. If we lose a player key to the system, like Stuart Dallas for NI, or Joe Allen for Wales, then there just isn't another player of a similar calibre to step in. It's different to an extent with England. They have players who can step into most spots I guess. I for one would love Wales to have the number of options England have, but it won't happen. I do think England have underperformed in recent tournaments though, and whilst this isn't great, at least you are qualifying each and every time. Again, not something us Welsh can cling onto.. :(
  • Antparry92
    18937 posts World Class
    I've got a bad feeling about the two friendlies for Wales. Think we're gonna get put to the sword by the French and bring us even more back down to the ground. As for Panama I've got a sneaky feeling we'll scrape a draw or lose against what most perceive to be a 'weak' side but nonetheless they've qualified so they can't be that bad
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    There's no clutching at straws involved. These moments have taken place in major games. All important moments that had major consequences. All tight games, with the majority seeing us exit the tournament on penalties!

As an example, Rooney was on fire at Euro 04. Can't remember who replaced him, but it was probably someone like Vassell or Heskey. Was early on in the game as well, iirc. Now it goes without saying our chances of winning would've been greater with our in-form striker leading the line.

As for the present - we are currently going through a cycle where the quality just isn't that good. I'm confident we'll come out the other side a lot better for it though, and that the influence of the foreign coaching at club level will benefit our youth greatly.
  • Ofthewelsh
    We're going to get spanked by France. I wouldn't be surprised to see them put 5 or 6 past us if they're in the mood. There's too many cracks in the Welsh side to paper over at the minute. Too many players having poor seasons for club and country. I can't see a completely lost at sea Ashley Williams, and a CB used to championship football in James Chester will cause France's attack too many sleepless nights.
    You know things are bad when we're calling up 2 players who can't hold down regular spots in Barnsley's team to replace Bale and Hal.

Panama again could do us over, especially if we get a hiding from France. It's going to be painful, but it is what it is.

• HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    I'm intrigued as to how big Sam could have had us playing, genuinely think he could have done a decent job. Made us hard to beat at least and we have the players to hurt teams on the counter.

Mind, wouldn't work against most who sit back cos its England
  • hoban95
    51731 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Couchy wrote: »
    This idea of England players looking disinterested is such a farce.

"They don't care about the shirt."
    "They don't care about winning."
    "They have no passion or desire."
    "Just over paid mercenaries."

What a load of b*llocks.

It’s really not though is it. How many withdraws? They don’t give a f about playing for England. These two games are against Germany and Brazil ffs.

I'm mainly talking about people saying this at tournaments.
  • Antparry92
    18937 posts World Class
    Would you fully blood out the young lads tonight in the hope of no fear and no expectation and a few players missing or do you think an absolute drubbing by the French would have an adverse effect on them? @Ofthewelsh
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    I'm intrigued as to how big Sam could have had us playing, genuinely think he could have done a decent job. Made us hard to beat at least and we have the players to hurt teams on the counter.

Mind, wouldn't work against most who sit back cos its England

Was expecting a good showing from him and was disappointed he got sacked. Would have been interesting to see how it would have panned out, that's for sure
  • Rutta
    6136 posts Big Money Move
    Don't blame the players pulling out for friendly games. Clubs pay obscene wages so if players are slightly injured with the risk of getting worse then so be it.
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    edited November 2017
    English players don't leave England because the wages are so good here. You can be a nobody at a big club and earning a small fortune before you've kicked a ball for the first team.

English players traditionally do quite badly abroad (although there are obvious exceptions).
  • coatsy
    I always wanted to be reincarnated as Ross Turnbull. £20k a week to sit and watch football.
  • Ofthewelsh
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Would you fully blood out the young lads tonight in the hope of no fear and no expectation and a few players missing or do you think an absolute drubbing by the French would have an adverse effect on them? @Ofthewelsh

Is there a choice? No Bale, no Hal Robson Kanu, Ledley's not fit, No Joniesta, don't think Lawerence is 100%, and then there's Ashley Williams. I don't think he's up to it right now. Honestly. It could finish him.

That leaves Joe Allen, Ben Davies, Gunter and Chester with an huge amount of responsibility. You'd hope that Ramsey would turn up, but it can't be counted on.

This game has the makings of a perfect storm. A huge loss could break a lot of the kids and fringe players in my opinion, and it's not a stretch to imagine it happening. Personally, I'd prefer to protect some of the kids from the worst, but I don't think we can.

I really can see it getting really messy, and having long term repercussions. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    Rutta wrote: »
    Peter wrote: »
    Rutta wrote: »
    Peter wrote: »
    Regens can come out a gay in FM18.

Can't wait for people to get angry about it :joy:

LOL seriously? Wonder what impact that would have in a video game

"Only newly generated, fictional players will be able to come out, to avoid legal issues with real-world players. If and when players do come out you will receive a news item in your inbox informing you. Your club will even receive a slight boost in revenue due to new attention from the LGBTQ community."

This will be my first FM since 13 (not because of this) so I'm expecting a lot has changed. Look forward to it.
    Ofthewelsh wrote: »
    Ofthewelsh wrote: »
    England, with the resources they have, should be competing at ever tournament, but they've not done anything. The system must be broken, even a blind man can see that.
    I know many people point to the number of overseas players in the premier league, but that cannot the sole cause. I think it's telling when you look at how many English players are playing overseas. There's hardly any top flight floor ballers from England playing elsewhere. You have to wonder why these Future England players aren't looking abroad if their first team opportunities are limited.

World cup winners in 66, mate.

The odd semi-final appearance here and there, mixed with good performances at other tournaments that we were unlucky to exit from at an earlier stage (98, 02, 04).
    Small margins in football.

We've been pretty drab recently, but i think thats more down to who we've had in charge during that time.

I did mean to include recently, honestly, and as I said, it was never meant as a dig at England.
    Your last statement is key though. Is it a case of who's been in charge of the team, or who's running the game in general? A country with the player base as big and as well funded as England surely should be producing players capable of competing regularly.
    I'm sure I read in one of the papers that England have only won 6 knockout games since the 1966 World Cup. To me, that's not a manager failure, it's something more fundamental.

That's something that they have seemingly tried to address with changes from top to bottom.

Now it seems to have worked at youth level, but remains to be seen if that can be carried through.
  • jpsblue
    4680 posts National Call-Up
    Son has two goals against Colombia so far
  • WWEFAN24_TRIPLEH
    14322 posts Has That Special Something
    Japan - Brazil is quite a good game
  • Antparry92
    18937 posts World Class
    @Ofthewelsh possibly going to watch the U21's in Nantporth tonight if I can grab a lift off someone seeing as I've got a poorly car haha
  • hoban95
    coatsy2008 wrote: »
    I always wanted to be reincarnated as Ross Turnbull. £20k a week to sit and watch football.

What a man.
  • coatsy

What a man.

The man, the myth the legend.
  • Sercs
    18832 posts World Class
    I just want players picked who are playing well, be it a top 4 club player... or mid table club playing above the level they should be (e.g. burnley)

Keane being called up from Everton is a joke, playing so badly and shipping goals all over the place.. same with Pickford.
  • coatsy
    Sercs wrote: »
    I just want players picked who are playing well, be it a top 4 club player... or mid table club playing above the level they should be (e.g. burnley)

Keane being called up from Everton is a joke, playing so badly and shipping goals all over the place.. same with Pickford.

Desperation I guess.
  • hoban95

What a man.

CL winner, PL winner, FA Cup winner

He won it all.
  • Davisto
    6357 posts Big Money Move
    :joy:
  • coatsy

What a man.

He won it all.

Without playing a minute!
  • hoban95

What a man.

He won it all.

He played 1 FA Cup game!
  • coatsy

What a man.

He won it all.

He played 1 FA Cup game!

His finest 90 mins. I want his job.
  • Antparry92
    18937 posts World Class
    Sercs wrote: »

Can't argue with Pickford....he's had Keane, Jags and Ashley Williams in front of him
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    What's the expected lineup tonight?

Completely out of the loop on who has actually dropped out.
  • coatsy
    Butland injured again lol
  • hoban95

What a man.

He won it all.

He played 1 FA Cup game!

His finest 90 mins. I want his job.

We all do.
  • Antparry92
    18937 posts World Class
    edited November 2017
    _9e42b4cc176c1646fa4701e049f5e3d2-png