The Ultimate Targetman Guide

Comments

• DSD27
    5699 posts Big Money Move
    http://plays.tv/video/59bc2de0d2ead4029c Rocking Mandzukic on PES B)
  • DSD27
    Mandzukic scored my first goal in FIFA 18 and also made a Hattrick.

Very poor opponent tough.
  • Andy87
    3566 posts National Call-Up
    Can't wait to make a team with Mandzukic this year, he's been my favourite targetman for the last couple of years.
  • DSD27
    edited September 2017
    Andy87 wrote: »
    Can't wait to make a team with Mandzukic this year, he's been my favourite targetman for the last couple of years.

The game is so bad defensively.. I'm not enjoying. Only a big day one patch can save this.
  • Andy87
    3566 posts National Call-Up
    DSD27 wrote: »

The game is so bad defensively.. I'm not enjoying. Only a big day one patch can save this.

What is it you aren't liking?
  • DSD27

What is it you aren't liking?

Everything about defending. it's too manual compared to attacking, makes no sense. The game is unbalanced.
    Either improve defending or make attacking manual as well.
  • DSD27
    B)

• Helldragon
    112 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Any Custom Tactics or Formation for Fifa 18? And why gives not a new Thread?
  • protzbischof
    3047 posts National Call-Up
    Helldragon wrote: »

Try 4231-2 with Striker on Target man, lm/rm get in behind and CAM stay forward.
    Fullbacks and at least 1 CDM on stay back and you are fine.

Value of CTs depends on your playstyle.
  • Helldragon

Try 4231-2 with Striker on Target man, lm/rm get in behind and CAM stay forward.

thx, but my Targetman is not only on in the penalty Box to make a Header goal. i have now tested all. 4231-2 its the same. My little cam is in the penalty box my Target man is all over but not in the right position to make a header.
  • Helldragon
    Mandzukic have bring me Yesterday to Gold 2 :)
    https://streamable.com/2qkok
  • protzbischof

thx, but my Targetman is not only on in the penalty Box to make a Header goal. i have now tested all. 4231-2 its the same. My little cam is in the penalty box my Target man is all over but not in the right position to make a header.

Try strikers with different workrates. I have also changed my fullbacks to "always overlap" and put both cdms on stay back now. Alot of tall strikers have H/H workrats causing them to get lose in the midfield sometimes. It also helps to have a decent CAM that isnt super tiny and can score some headers as he will end up in the striker position many times. Also try to put your striker on stay central. He might end up in better position if you dont use "target man" on him but I cant tell you that right now as Im trying out different things myself.
  • Helldragon

Try strikers with different workrates. I have also changed my fullbacks to "always overlap" and put both cdms on stay back now. Alot of tall strikers have H/H workrats causing them to get lose in the midfield sometimes. It also helps to have a decent CAM that isnt super tiny and can score some headers as he will end up in the striker position many times. Also try to put your striker on stay central. He might end up in better position if you dont use "target man" on him but I cant tell you that right now as Im trying out different things myself.

Thx a lot. Yes, i have now my Targetman on get behind and Stay Central and it is a lot better. With targetman on him he goes to the outside to the passer. i dont no why.
  • protzbischof

Thx a lot. Yes, i have now my Targetman on get behind and Stay Central and it is a lot better. With targetman on him he goes to the outside to the passer. i dont no why.

You can also try 433(3). I currently use that and it allows you to counter more often. Win the ball and get it on the wing and cross it whiel the players are on their way into the box. Seems to be very effective.
  • DSD27
    edited October 2017
    I'm enjoying Dzeko more this year, for now. He is more complete with his longshots, shot power and 4 stars weak foot. Mandzukic was all about the early cross but this year they removed the early cross button. I also prefer the target-man instruction now while last year get in behind was better.
    I'm using this two squads: http://www.futhead.com/u/dsd27/squads/
  • protzbischof
    Two weeks into the game and Im already done. Last year I could compete in division 1 with 4231-2 and a strong striker. This year with this terrible defending you simply can not defend vs those narrow pace abusers spamming ping pong passing. Cant paly calm and concede less than 1 goals on average and win with 1-2 goals vs good players. Really sad about it but I guess the community got the game it asked for.
  • Kip2MyLou
    7397 posts League Winner
    I'm enjoying Dzeko more this year, for now. He is more complete with his longshots, shot power and 4 stars weak foot. Mandzukic was all about the early cross but this year they removed the early cross button. I also prefer the target-man instruction now while last year get in behind was better.
    I'm using this two squads: http://www.futhead.com/u/dsd27/squads/

Tots dzeko was great last year. I've been using his card this year and liking him. He's great in a lone striker or dual striker role due to his above average passing.
  • DSD27
    Two weeks into the game and Im already done. Last year I could compete in division 1 with 4231-2 and a strong striker. This year with this terrible defending you simply can not defend vs those narrow pace abusers spamming ping pong passing. Cant paly calm and concede less than 1 goals on average and win with 1-2 goals vs good players. Really sad about it but I guess the community got the game it asked for.

Most of the FIFA community are those narrow formations pace abusers with ping pong passing so obviously they are happy now because they can abuse it even more.
    If you want more realistic football play PES. I play FIFA for UT.
  • Helldragon

You can also try 433(3). I currently use that and it allows you to counter more often. Win the ball and get it on the wing and cross it whiel the players are on their way into the box. Seems to be very effective.

What for instruction and Custom Tactic do you have for the 433(3)?

This is my Team in the moment: https://www.futbin.com/18/squad/327901
  • protzbischof

Depends on how you want to play with it. The gaps between players are pretty big so I think a high passing value would be great. 70 speed/65 passing or something. Its very hard to play vs very defensive opponents with this formation because the wingers are very isolited and dont come back in build up play. Basically if you win the ball you should look for a diagonal pass to the winger that should make a run. It is very limited but Id guess thats how you play this formation to the full value. Your wingers need 99 pace for that reason and your midfield + fullbacks should have decent long passing. Tell the wingers to stay wide, get in behind and possibly stay forward ( depends if you can defend without them).
  • Helldragon

Depends on how you want to play with it. The gaps between players are pretty big so I think a high passing value would be great. 70 speed/65 passing or something. Its very hard to play vs very defensive opponents with this formation because the wingers are very isolited and dont come back in build up play. Basically if you win the ball you should look for a diagonal pass to the winger that should make a run. It is very limited but Id guess thats how you play this formation to the full value. Your wingers need 99 pace for that reason and your midfield + fullbacks should have decent long passing. Tell the wingers to stay wide, get in behind and possibly stay forward ( depends if you can defend without them).

Ok Thx a lot. I Understand that play. But i dont think this is the right way for me. I like it to play Short Passes and build up the play slowly. I have problems to make a fast counter.
  • protzbischof

Ok Thx a lot. I Understand that play. But i dont think this is the right way for me. I like it to play Short Passes and build up the play slowly. I have problems to make a fast counter.

Yeah I like to play the same. Last FIFA got alot of top 40 on PC and won division 1 pretty much every single time. Lost 9 out of last 11 games in div 1 and got relegated etc. You just can not compete vs the owerpowered formations because defending is not good enough this year. We have to hope for a patch I guess.
  • Helldragon
    yes. I play 5 Games today in the WL and 4 time the guy played the 4-1-2-1-2 (2) and then pace pace pace....
  • protzbischof
    Whos gonna open a thread in the FIFA 18 section? We need one..
  • DSD27
    edited October 2017

Can't this one be trasnsfered to FIFA 18 section?
    Last year when @BlitzersNL created a new thread it lost some subscribers and became less active. Every time we do it it's going to be the same. I don't understand the point of creating a new thread every year,
  • Helldragon

I would make it but my English is not goode enough :joy:
  • TWS001
    2214 posts Fans' Favourite
    Target men are probably the most usable they've been for years on FIFA this time around.
    I always prefer a target man to a small, weak speedster.
    Currently having joy with IF Locadia and Mario Gomez in my two teams for the weekend league. Gomez has a four goal haul and a couple of hattricks. While although not as prolific as he was for me, Locadia has three five goal hauls and several hattricks, although not all of them in the weekend league.
    Very helpful when constantly facing the narrow formations. You can use your wide midfielder and full back to double up and isolate the opponents fullback. Also the ability to hold the ball up with your striker can be so helpful.

This was my previous weekend league match and a decent showcase of Mario Gomez's talents:

• Kip2MyLou
    7397 posts League Winner
    I've tried the single striker formations this year and just can't get along with them. I create so many more chances with the dual striker formations. I don't really like using them but this year it seems like a must if you want to compete unfortunately.
  • DSD27
    If you're like and you're wondering if IF Wagner is better than Mario Gomez.. Don't even bother trying. He isn't :joy:
  • protzbischof
    Kip2MyLou wrote: »
    I've tried the single striker formations this year and just can't get along with them. I create so many more chances with the dual striker formations. I don't really like using them but this year it seems like a must if you want to compete unfortunately.

Yeah you will get rekt by game abusing 41212 / 4321 kids. The game was never in a worse state :/