How do you defend against pace?

Mr.Spireite
1656 posts Play-Off Hero
Seriously when opponents just go round you with raw pace how do you counter it ?

Comments

• Unity_Ollie
    67 posts Park Captain
    5 at the back, Park the bus.
  • pekkaa88
    6049 posts Big Money Move
    fast defenders
  • Mr_Matchup1
    4664 posts National Call-Up
    Always have good full backs it's essential hopefully they patch the game soon though as these 180 turn through balls straight to rashford/jesus / Wilson ect are a joke
  • protzbischof
    3332 posts National Call-Up
    You can not defend vs pace and good players. You can only outscore it with pace and anti football on your own. Welcome to FIFA 18
  • silverdale10
    1419 posts Professional
    Through balls out wide behind the full backs seem to turn the defenders pace stats down to about 35. Unless it's the AI in which case its your winger who goes down to 35.
  • paul24878306
    4717 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2017
    yep. Played 4411 pre patch, and it was OK. good for creative play. since the patch its all PTB (with defenders blocking everything) - and pace counter.

tried lots of formations and tactics - even last years (as it seems similar to 17 now) anti pace tactics dont work.

the only way I found to beat it was go 4321 with fast strikers myself. Its not how I like or want to play that way, but its the only real way at present. if your a really good defender, and really good at ball retention and skills - there may be a better way. but for 99.9% of usy thats not an option.

ive migrated back to Elite Dangerous (which I played through the summer) for at least 50% of my playing time. The only things that keep me playing Fifa at all at present is:

1. Team building - I always enjoy the process of my team evolving.
    2. The fact I spent money on the game, and its less than 2 weeks old (standard release)
    3. the Hope (and pray) EA rectify the awful last patch - and/or do something about pace pace pace. It has its place int he game, but its a small part not 99% of the equation.
    4. Squad Battles. Yes its against a CPU and will get tiring after a while - but its not the same rubbish playing real players gives you.

The last bit shows the game isnt that bad - if played like real football. unfortunately its the playing community using every slight advantage the mechanics gives to the max in order to win at all costs regardless of how realistic or enjoyable the game play is. Seems for a lot, winning (the result) is more important then the experience of playing (the actual game).

ill keep playing a small amount and see what the next patch does - then either pick it back up or ditch it for the year. Lifes too short to play rubbish game play regardless of how addicted I am (4500 games in 17, 4200 in 16). The fact Im fed up after 150 this year says it all. At least - while 17 had flaws, it was different to 16 so there was a learning curve to master. This year its now 17.2. Its pretty much the same tactics to win.
    -
  • Kibby89d
    197 posts Sunday League Hero
    Always have good full backs it's essential hopefully they patch the game soon though as these 180 turn through balls straight to rashford/jesus / Wilson ect are a joke

ABSOLUTELY THIS
    Andre Gray scored a 180 degree turn shot outside the box top bins yesterday. Then he scored a triangle through ball to him from by his own box. Joke
  • DSmith
    817 posts Semi-Pro
    You kind of have to think of it like in real life. Most fast strikers will out pace defenders so you need to ensure you cover well with your full backs and position your centre backs wisely to reduce the risk of giving them open space to run. Don't commit to a standing tackle unless you pretty uh know you're nailing it. Use midfielders and CB's with high defensive workrates and if needs must just take the F***** down.

The issue isn't pace it's that players with 75 shooting are hitting top bins from 30 yards out whilst sprinting. Usually you expect this from your top players but Rashford and co shouldn't be doing this with every attempt.
  • You cant because the opponent cursor makes it easy to run past people rather than playing football
  • deang07
    8261 posts League Winner
    Personally i refuse to play ptb or extremly low pressure and all that bolloks just because everyone else does . I wAnt to play the game my way and thats that so id rather loose my way than win with cheap tactics and abusing the ai .
    So what ive learnt an adapted to thus far without abusing is to bulild up play the way i always do but im much more aware and snarter about how i play from the back.
    Be very aware of dragging defenders out of position get the ball to your mids asap and start there , do not use 1 2s or trigger runs with your defenders full stop, otherwise your to vunreble for the counter.
    Do not hold sprint to much this year its a massive error , play calm pass and move and use sprint wen needed in bursts its so much more effective .
    when your opponent breaks do not keep over switching to match his every move be calm because its so easy to drag your defenders all out of pos and leave gaps , by being calm jockeying , not diving in , sprinting or switching to much you are leaving your def in much better positions ( less space in behind to run into )
    whilst jockeying or the minuite your close enough to the runner to do something , do not hesitate get on that push ,pull , barge button its so op this year before its to late once they have that yrd its to late they are gone .
    Tactics wise i always play balanced unless i need a goal but i do put my instructions on full backs to stay back and atleast one cdm or cm to stay back to help out.
    Ppl are bang on the ping pong passing this year to, so they are pressing the next pass before the receiver has even got the ball so cutting passing lanes especially in midfield b4 they get to your defenders is very easy and effective if your smart . They do not even check your players pos b4 spamming pass lol which in return is the reason i say smart build up and not to much sprinting and ping pong passing is good, build up nice and slow and open them gaps first then go for it . I know u didnt want attacking advice but it kind off goes hand in hand with how you should get your game going to be better and more balanced in all positions .

Hope it helps buddy its nice when ppl want advice rather than just blaming the game completly .
  • paul24878306
    4717 posts Big Money Move
    DSmith wrote: »
    You kind of have to think of it like in real life. Most fast strikers will out pace defenders so you need to ensure you cover well with your full backs and position your centre backs wisely to reduce the risk of giving them open space to run. Don't commit to a standing tackle unless you pretty uh know you're nailing it. Use midfielders and CB's with high defensive workrates and if needs must just take the F***** down.

The issue isn't pace it's that players with 75 shooting are hitting top bins from 30 yards out whilst sprinting. Usually you expect this from your top players but Rashford and co shouldn't be doing this with every attempt.

Pace has been a problem for years. Yes IRL fast players will skin a slower one, but int he vast majority of cases that will be covered by a second player - or hell make a bad pass/cross, or cant hit a barn door. The fact the Pace Pace Pace gets you more goals than build-up play and creative football is a big problem with FIFA.
  • BrettEmmett
    347 posts Sunday League Hero
    Position your CBs while they're on the break, don't press hard. I suggest holding the contain button, but push the left stick away from the player to have a bit of space so they can't get past you. Buy defenders with good marking and standing tackle stats. And remember, if your CB is running TOWARDS the attacker, you've already lost the battle.
  • DSmith
    817 posts Semi-Pro
    DSmith wrote: »

Pace has been a problem for years. Yes IRL fast players will skin a slower one, but int he vast majority of cases that will be covered by a second player - or hell make a bad pass/cross, or cant hit a barn door. The fact the Pace Pace Pace gets you more goals than build-up play and creative football is a big problem with FIFA.

Agree hence the second man contain option in game. Don't dive into tackles and confuse the opponent by constantly switching your cursor even if you don't intend to use the other player. It causes confusion. Well that's what I found this weekend anyway.

Again agree on the making a mistake and mentioned in my post that the bigger problem is the goals these players score.
  • XimFail
    129 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited October 2017
    The passing mechanic in this game is broken, the fact you can make +25 yard passes without looking of 1 touch on a 180 turn makes the best way to play the game to use 4-3-2-1 formation with ultra defensive because there is no punishment. Need to re-work how vision mechanic works in this game. Passing accuracy should increase when looking in the direction of the player and decrease when you have your back to the target. Because right now it just makes the game looks so silly it's kinda funny.
  • Aspral
    3425 posts National Call-Up
    If you see a player in real life that has 50-60 pace of Fifa compared to a player that has 80-90 on Fifa they don't skin the player by 15-20 yards from the half way line.

This game is centered around Pace and it always has been. You know you'd prefer your opponent to have Kane than Musa/Rashford/Vardy.

Literally if you can't handle it go on PTB. You'll have numerous amounts of cover. Hopefully they'll change it.

• cawbrey2
    633 posts An Exciting Prospect
    my best tip is the best defense is offense. if theyre to fast i just go into attack and try and make sure those guys dont get the ball. if they do they just pull your keep out really esrly. notice how big there touches are rhey rarely get the lob off
  • IxToMxI
    5983 posts Big Money Move
    Ultra defensive + counter attack = easy