Defenders are pointless - Theory.

Absting159
7512 posts Moderator
I'm coming to the conclusion that the quality of the defender is useless.

This year, with the AI NEVER actually tackling and winning a ball, it relies on your timing and your ability to actually time the tackles. That being said, you can take Maldini and skrew him up by tackling at the wrong time. To the same, you could have a bronze CB and time it properly and win the tackle.

Any one else feel like this is the case? I've been alternating with all the Calcio A backs and I can't tell a difference. It's always me skrewing up the tackle. They all tend to skrew up in the air with or without me controlling them.

It's probably just me, because I've never been good at tackling, lol.

Comments

• Blessings
    184 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Absting159 wrote: »

This year, with the AI NEVER actually tackling and winning a ball, it relies on your timing and your ability to actually time the tackles. That being said, you can take Maldini and skrew him up by tackling at the wrong time. To the same, you could have a bronze CB and time it properly and win the tackle.

Any one else feel like this is the case? I've been alternating with all the Calcio A backs and I can't tell a difference. It's always me skrewing up the tackle. They all tend to skrew up in the air with or without me controlling them.

Defending itself is perhaps the case, pace is pretty much all is good for defenders on this game to give you higher chances of making a tackle.

I get what you’re saying man, I’m somewhat in the same boat :)

• Orison
    54163 posts Ballon d'Or Winner
    Blessings wrote: »

Defending itself is perhaps the case, pace is pretty much all is good for defenders on this game to give you higher chances of making a tackle.

This basically.

As long as the defenders are AI controlled yeah they are all useless no matter if they are 70 or 90 rated so in that case you would get away with any CB (I guess pace would help tho).

But once you switch to them and have to make a tackle, then the better defenders are much better and got a much higher chance to actually get the ball.

So basically as long as your defending style requires to never touch your CBs you should be good to go with any CB as long as he got pace.
  • DoD_Jester
    27233 posts Player of the Year
    Orison wrote: »
    Blessings wrote: »

But once you switch to them and have to make a tackle, then the better defenders are much better and got a much higher chance to actually get the ball.

100% this
  • Falafelmonster
    4953 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2017
    Disagree.
    Since defending is manual, you'd have to have an agile and fast defender in order for him to be easier to control and tackle.
    tackling stats would help him make better tackles.
    positioning stats are still relevant since 90% of the time you aren't control just that one defender.
    workrates always matter, if you have a H/L defender (dani alves for example) and you lose the ball, then switch to a midfielder to defend the H/L defender would take longer to get back down the field.

So, I think defenders' stats are more important. reason being they need to be more responsive (agile,fast),be able to make a tackle when you want and get the ball out when you do tackle (defense stats) and better located (positioning, workrates).
  • Reus
    23482 posts Club Captain
    High rated defenders are more important than ever
  • ManTrain
    3000 posts National Call-Up
    Reus wrote: »

If you haven’t played with 84+ defenders you need to. It’s night and day.
  • Riafelttil
    493 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Defenders are driving me bonkers this version. I hasten to add it’s defenders and not defending I have an issue with. As I can only control one player at a time it would be useful if the other defenders (the ones I’m not jockeying around and trying to cut angles out) even vaguely made attempts to track runs. So that when and if I do need to switch to them, (atm player switching, even manually is at best 50/50 for me) they are vaguely in a place that will help.

I definitely don’t want to go back to last year with 90% of players never controlling any defender.
  • 0113MB
    915 posts Semi-Pro
    varane, umitti, laporte, sidibe say otherwise buddy
  • Brownie1524
    9172 posts League Winner
    I have middle of the road CBs now and I wonder if that's the case. I'm making tackles literally right in front of me yet the ball doesn't get touched and some how my opponent moves by me. I also noticed that when trying to defend with anybody, your guys are like skating around which is annoying af.
  • krakos000
    17643 posts World Class
    Benn wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »

Good thing I'm gonna be using Luiz/Azpi and Barz/Kouli