To splurge packs straight away or wait for OTW drop - that is the question

Personally I was always planning on 12k Fifa Points split 50/50 between packs and drafts.

So for the moment it would make sense to open my 6k of packs early doors and then later on after release open the draft packs in the (slim) hope of a OTW.

What are other peoples thoughts - stagger or go balls deep ASAP?

Comments

• Prices will plummet during OTW release as most people will open their packs and spend most of their FP then. Before OTW prices will be at their highest.

I would suggest opening packs before OTW and buying players when OTW cards are released to build your team as the market will get flooded with common cards at this point.
  • What makes you say prices will plummet during OTW release out of curiosity?

Looking at Futbin from last year, when OTWs also got released on the game release date, prices of players didn't plummet. Actually looks as though they either maintained a similar value or continued on an upward trend for another week or so.
  • PelzyWelzy
    9330 posts League Winner
    edited September 2017
    What makes you say prices will plummet during OTW release out of curiosity?

Looking at Futbin from last year, when OTWs also got released on the game release date, prices of players didn't plummet. Actually looks as though they either maintained a similar value or continued on an upward trend for another week or so.

I've always opened packs before major promotions.. key reason for this being is before them everyone's hoarding packs/points etc and as such fewer cards are on the market, pushing prices up. Can get a tidy little coin pile going from selling consumables from packs alone. Chances of a big pull are so slim even if you were to get one you generally make as many coins back selling at inflated prices before the promotion anyway.

There's usually a small window, around four hours I'd say, where the market becomes saturated with cards as countless people open packs, undercutting or simply being lazy and listing cards for open bid. Its at times like this I'd focus on a certain player, say Chiellini, on open bid... would regurlarly pick him up for a few thousand coins and sell on for 20k few hours later. Certain chemistry cards during rewards were my biggest winner though. Win on bid for a few hundred coins, resell two days later for 3000. Tried and tested method.

Naturally after a few hours prices will start to rise again and generally maintain price until the next major promotion is nearing. Can set your watch to this trend.

• King_Boontai
    2072 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm going to open straight away. Invest all my coins and buy my team and sell straight away come OTW.
  • JayyThunder
    4269 posts Big Money Move
    Always always always buy packs immediately. That's when everything is the most expensive. Sell everything, make a super cheap team + a fitness team. Grind that out for like two weeks then buy a better one once things start to settle down
  • PelzyWelzy wrote: »
    What makes you say prices will plummet during OTW release out of curiosity?

I've always opened packs before major promotions.. key reason for this being is before them everyone's hoarding packs/points etc and as such fewer cards are on the market, pushing prices up. Can get a tidy little coin pile going from selling consumables from packs alone. Chances of a big pull are so slim even if you were to get one you generally make as many coins back selling at inflated prices before the promotion anyway.

There's usually a small window, around four hours I'd say, where the market becomes saturated with cards as countless people open packs, undercutting or simply being lazy and listing cards for open bid. Its at times like this I'd focus on a certain player, say Chiellini, on open bid... would regurlarly pick him up for a few thousand coins and sell on for 20k few hours later. Certain chemistry cards during rewards were my biggest winner though. Win on bid for a few hundred coins, resell two days later for 3000. Tried and tested method.

Naturally after a few hours prices will start to rise again and generally maintain price until the next major promotion is nearing. Can set your watch to this trend.

Very interesting.

In the past I've tended to do my investing on sunday night, or Monday morning. Will definitely add this method for 18 though.
  • gonna buy straight away, since fifa 09 im due a ronaldo tier player XD
  • Always always always buy packs immediately. That's when everything is the most expensive. Sell everything, make a super cheap team + a fitness team. Grind that out for like two weeks then buy a better one once things start to settle down

In the last couple of years its seemed that prices are at their most expensive a week or so after full release. So assuming that this is the ideal point to sell, openingpacks immediately wouldn't matter quite so much would it?

Could it not be better to gather packs over the first week and wait until full release to actually open them. Prices (historically) should still be on the up and there's also an opportunity of a OTW
  • Torminator
    1290 posts Professional
    Things are not the most expensive on the first days. There are just not enough coins available. Higher reted players keep on rising the first 2 weeks due to inflow of coins
  • Suppose it just comes down to how much trading you can do before full release. If you can make coins while holding on to good investments that are going to rise in the first two weeks, it's worth opening the packs a bit earlier.
  • players do rise but not for long and not many, a majority of cards obviously have to be sold to invest in potential 20k-30kers that might rise to the 90-100 figure
  • RadioShaq
    14902 posts Moderator
    I would think the best thing to do is open them right away. Then invest while prices are cheap.
  • RadioShaq wrote: »
    I would think the best thing to do is open them right away. Then invest while prices are cheap.

this in past my targets example was gotze and schurrle, good reliable cheapish, who knows maybe the french trio martial demb mbapp get packed a lot and sold on for decent prices before rising massively on 29th
  • RadioShaq
    14902 posts Moderator
    I invested most in informs last year. Then the rest reselling sanches as he went up as to not have all my eggs in one basket.
  • caedite
    487 posts Sunday League Hero
    Always go balls deep ASAP. :D
  • FootyFootyFootball
    2608 posts Fans' Favourite
    So I've got money in my PSN wallet... is there a way to transfer that in to Fifa Points on the web app? Or am I now going to have to wait until 29th and do it on console?
  • RadioShaq
    14902 posts Moderator
    26 th if you have ronaldo or icon edition?
  • FootyFootyFootball
    2608 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nope, standard. So it's an online console type thing then, just gonna have to wait it out
  • BatmansAGeordie
    1666 posts Play-Off Hero
    Im going use most of my points straight away for packs and draft but set a little sumthin' sumthin' aside for release day.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    11193 posts Has That Special Something
    Going to load up 36k fp and open 40 premium gold packs in the hope of getting lucky and getting a totw card or a few decent players, then play as many online drafts as I can and let the packs stack until the 29th then open all stacked packs and the remaining fps hoping to hit a few decent cards and hopefully even a couple of otw cards. Wishful thinking I know :D