FIFA18 Demo... My Thoughts.

I was playing against the AI on Legendary and scoring 4-5 with ease... I feel Defending will be much more Manual especially against real opponents online which i'm glad about.. AI Defending seriously needed to be toned down after Auto Defending in FIFA17. I see FIFA18 having a far bigger skill-gap as long as E.A don't ruin it with a Patch after release. Skill moves weren't that effective for me but the ones which worked the most were the fake stop with no direction, I peformed it in the AI'S box and fulled the legendary AI and by just moving the left stick beat 2 other players and finessed it in, also the fake shot turning seems different and quite decent other than that I haven't really felt any other skills being that decent the LT + R2 dribbling has been toned down, it's not completely worthless but i'm glad in FIFA17 it was so OP it was unrealistic. Passing felt pingy reminded me of FIFA10 back in the day quite responsive although it might be too assisted for my liking also the 360 passes are still in the game which are a pain.. which was unrealistic IMO I think passing could be made a bit harder. I loved the fact when you're through on goal with Rashford or Bale ETC a slow Defender can't automatically catch up with you all of a sudden and get an Auto Block in.. FIFA17 Auto Defending would bail out alot of players I think FIFA18 is going to have a serious skill-gap can't complain too much about the demo IMO.

Comments

• what about the goalkeeper? they are awful
  • Viggo 007
    12248 posts Has That Special Something
    Demo is quite realistic.

Now let's see if the real game is anything like the demo and see how fast FUT is compared to kick off
  • TacticalTugTeam
    1366 posts Professional
    edited September 2017
    what about the goalkeeper? they are awful

Longshots were a bit OP but the Demo is not the final build so that can easily be fixed or patched other than that I didn't have much of an issue, Only thing I didn't like was the 360 passing which was unrealistic.
  • I'm really liking it.. although we'll have to see what FUT gameplay is like
  • Viggo 007 wrote: »
    Demo is quite realistic.

Now let's see if the real game is anything like the demo and see how fast FUT is compared to kick off

Yeah i'm looking forward to it.. This is the first FIFA i'm looking forward to in a while lol 17 was such a bad game on so many levels...
  • Spudd1998 wrote: »
    I'm really liking it.. although we'll have to see what FUT gameplay is like

Only 8 days now! Until E.A Access not long to go! ;)
  • ZizioGardo
    1439 posts Professional

Longshots were a bit OP but the Demo is not the final build so that can easily be fixed or patched other than that I didn't have much of an issue, Only thing I didn't like was the 360 passing which was unrealistic.

Yeah, the Demo is a old build of the game (Ex. Neymar still has his old face).
    So they might already have fixed alot of things at this point.
  • what about the goalkeeper? they are awful

agree, the passing is so easy, like every pass from every angle comes to his target. but apart from that i really like the demo so far, defending is harder now and thats what i appreciate. if they only rescanned Real Madrid :sleepy:
  • Zz CLUBLEY zZ
    362 posts Sunday League Hero
    I think demo may have it coded in for long shots to more likely go in, try get more goals and get people enjoying themselves.
  • Pelicano
    71 posts Park Captain
    Goalkeepers are moronic. Every lob shot over them is a goal
  • SuPeRz
    885 posts Semi-Pro
    edited September 2017
    Hmmm.... Probably just me but I think it played very similar to 17 except for more error when controlling the ball from driven passes. The keeper still parry the ball back to opposition for easy rebound goals. The comeback mechanics are still active (wishful thinking).

So it's gonna be more of the same online again... I'm already fed up of the demo after only a few games because there was nothing there... Even the change from 16 to 17 was bigger although not for the better...

But after calling FIFA 17 the worst (@TacticalTugTeam) I can't see this minor change, all of a sudden, making FIFA 18 acceptable. (Except if it's now the second worst)

I expect to see the whole lot back on here in November complaining about the same stuff as FIFA 17 and someone else will call FIFA 18 the worst ever lol (mark my words).

Auto switching is still bad... Graphics are worst than PES for the first time in a long time. Night lighting is TERRIBLE!!!!!! Everything is literally 17 with different menu colors and updated kits and rosters... No wonder the news was slow to come from EA... They literally had none!

I can't justify a purchase based on the demo for the first time ever....And based on the PES demo... I can't NOT justify getting it except for being too lazy to learn their annoying "not FIFA" controls.

Wow! What a disappointment!
  • RobPiz
    123 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I haven't played the demo yet but a question if anyone has played on manual passing settings... how do they feel? I can't play FIFA17 on assisted anymore it's just awful and I'm glad I made the switch to full manual.. just concerned I'll have to relearn the game again lol
  • Ggggoooopppp
    1188 posts Professional

... the Demo is not the final build so that can easily be fixed or patched...

In other turn everything you do like in game can be ruined in final build or in patches.
  • Ggggoooopppp
    1188 posts Professional
    @RobPiz I played it full manual. In demo (I'm emphasising in demo!) passes are good. I had to accustom to them after another football demo and it feels they are good. But I'm scaring that it will be ruined in full version as it always was. Waiting for the comments here after full version.
  • BlackAna
    79 posts Park Captain
    RobPiz wrote: »
    I haven't played the demo yet but a question if anyone has played on manual passing settings... how do they feel? I can't play FIFA17 on assisted anymore it's just awful and I'm glad I made the switch to full manual.. just concerned I'll have to relearn the game again lol

Manual passing is improved, you can make really soft passes, and aiming a pass to a rushing teammate who is behind you and heading to the box is better. You will need to relearn passing power though because of this.

There is still that random bug where sometimes your Manual through pass is hit with full power.

Finesses shots seems harder, not sure if it is a manual thing, but they can be pretty hit and miss sometimes.

You can now have an arrow show u were u are currently aiming and where your passes and shots are going if you put Fifa Trainer on, and set it Movement only. In previous Fifa the arrow was there but there were annoying button prompts. You can also see this in replays if they are enabled so you can cross check your shots and passes to see if you aimed correctly. This will be very helpful for shooting at hard angles, and also passing from set plays which were hit and miss in previous Fifas.

So far I am enjoying it, the pacing and movement seems better, its not as quick as Fifa 17 offline was, but since movement is more responsive you feel like you have better control of the player.
  • RobPiz
    123 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @blackara Cool man. Honestly the thing I love the most about manual is when you perfectly roll the ball out to the wing or something from midfield.. something about the last pass of that triangle rolling into space perfectly (because you did it perfectly lol) is so satisfying.
    Good to hear that the soft passing and passing to onrushing team mates is fixed.. nothing worse than trying to lay it back and it rolling 30 meters too far because the guy just bolted past it.

I'm not upset by a reduction in game speed... I play it on Slow anyway.
    That said, demo is demo is demo.. i'm sure they'll find a way to ruin everything by release. As usual.

• BlackAna
    79 posts Park Captain
    @RobPiz Yea true, I don't know why they always seem to release a demo with some decent changes then a couple weeks later in the full release, or patches they ruin everything.

Also, about the passes to on rushing teammate, there is still a slight issue sometimes. The pass will go the right way with the right pace, but the player doesn't realize is there and runs past it. Actually there seems to be an issue with this in passes in general, doesn't happen all the time, it has only happened twice so far in over 20 games, but even with some normal passes the pass will go the right way but the player won't react on time (the game doesn't magnet to him). Weird but I hope it is fixed in the full release.
  • Retro_G
    33023 posts National Team Captain
    BlackAna wrote: »
    @RobPiz Yea true, I don't know why they always seem to release a demo with some decent changes then a couple weeks later in the full release, or patches they ruin everything.

Also, about the passes to on rushing teammate, there is still a slight issue sometimes. The pass will go the right way with the right pace, but the player doesn't realize is there and runs past it. Actually there seems to be an issue with this in passes in general, doesn't happen all the time, it has only happened twice so far in over 20 games, but even with some normal passes the pass will go the right way but the player won't react on time (the game doesn't magnet to him). Weird but I hope it is fixed in the full release.

That's what I'm afraid of too, the dreaded scrub friendly patch. The demo is a joy to play, love the more realistic slow pace. Wish it was the same in FUT, although we all know that will have the speed turned up.

The shooting is perfect, ultra responsive. Defending is more difficult, will take some time to adjust, although it's in a good spot. Passing feels great, switching play with long passes are quick and responsive. Certain skill moves are really effective. 5* skills will be sought after in Fifa 18. The only backwards step is the peno system, don't know why they changed it back to the old system.
  • Come on people you must admit that you are all disappointed :)))) Fifa 18 is Fifa 17 2.0 very few minor changes with boring gameplay,
  • Hitman_Hatton
    14382 posts Has That Special Something
    Come on people you must admit that you are all disappointed :)))) Fifa 18 is Fifa 17 2.0 very few minor changes with boring gameplay,

Yes Legione, lead us to the promised land of PES.

We are #sheep Free us us, oh wise one.
  • Come on people you must admit that you are all disappointed :)))) Fifa 18 is Fifa 17 2.0 very few minor changes with boring gameplay,

Yes Legione, lead us to the promised land of PES.

We are #sheep Free us us, oh wise one.

I don't like PES i never liked it,is to robotic,i've used to love fifa back in the time
  • Planoxetine
    34 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Review of the demo:

• ReusKrispies
    2507 posts Fans' Favourite
    My thoughts are the game is really good there is a improvement to 17 but I still feel it's too fast and it's not even UT mode. Speed should be toned down but other then that it's a great game, loving the manual defending by the way
  • DeathStroke3101996
    8 posts Ball Boy
    edited September 2017
    Pelicano wrote: »
    Goalkeepers are moronic. Every lob shot over them is a goal

yes, i have the same opinion, i liked the goalkeepers in fifa 17 more than fifa 18 demo
    the goalkeepers in fifa 18 demo also have a bit advance from the goal that make them haven’t Chance to repel the lob shot from R2 button
    and the goalkeepers also don’t have reaction in most of shots, like i shot the ball from Half the pitch with cahill and the ball clash the post and buffon didn’t do anything he kept looking to the ball only

and the last thing the developers should care of alot of famous players faces like casemiro, ,asensio and salah hair style and neymar face and his hair style.
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    It isn't the finished product so a good solid base to use. Tried a few different teams including Boca Juniors to test how an inferior squad would perform.

Transfers will obvs be updated before release and potentially ratings may change?? Example of Matuidi still playing for PSG
  • TomAuk
    103 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited September 2017
    I think the game plays a lot better than fifa 17. I think people are naive or having unrealistic expectations, its a football game its never going to have a major overhaul and it doesn't need it. Minor changes have been made(apart from passing) of manual defending and AI defenders can't catch up with your faster player and auto block.
    Also IMO the atmosphere additions are massively underrated, it makes it a lot more immersive for me personally.
  • SuPeRz wrote: »
    Hmmm.... Probably just me but I think it played very similar to 17 except for more error when controlling the ball from driven passes. The keeper still parry the ball back to opposition for easy rebound goals. The comeback mechanics are still active (wishful thinking).

So it's gonna be more of the same online again... I'm already fed up of the demo after only a few games because there was nothing there... Even the change from 16 to 17 was bigger although not for the better...

But after calling FIFA 17 the worst (@TacticalTugTeam) I can't see this minor change, all of a sudden, making FIFA 18 acceptable. (Except if it's now the second worst)

I expect to see the whole lot back on here in November complaining about the same stuff as FIFA 17 and someone else will call FIFA 18 the worst ever lol (mark my words).

Auto switching is still bad... Graphics are worst than PES for the first time in a long time. Night lighting is TERRIBLE!!!!!! Everything is literally 17 with different menu colors and updated kits and rosters... No wonder the news was slow to come from EA... They literally had none!

I can't justify a purchase based on the demo for the first time ever....And based on the PES demo... I can't NOT justify getting it except for being too lazy to learn their annoying "not FIFA" controls.

I agree with you the graphics on the Demo do look washed out it's very dark but do you honestly only see minor changes? The passing is completely different to FIFA17 although it could be too assisted, The dribbling is so much better than FIFA17 the main issue with FIFA17 was the Auto Defending now E.A have made Defending more Manual that's good to increase the skill-gap I honestly think the FIFA18 Demo felt so much different to FIFA17.
  • TomAuk
    103 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    SuPeRz wrote: »

I agree with you the graphics on the Demo do look washed out it's very dark but do you honestly only see minor changes? The passing is completely different to FIFA17 although it could be too assisted, The dribbling is so much better than FIFA17 the main issue with FIFA17 was the Auto Defending now E.A have made Defending more Manual that's good to increase the skill-gap I honestly think the FIFA18 Demo felt so much different to FIFA17.

Couldn't agree more but the graphics i presume will be great in the full release.
  • TacticalTugTeam
    1366 posts Professional
    edited September 2017

... the Demo is not the final build so that can easily be fixed or patched...

In other turn everything you do like in game can be ruined in final build or in patches.

Yeah I know i'm hoping E.A doesn't ruin the game with a patch after release lol just gonna hope.
  • Versus Fifa 17: Slower, more accurate passing (pretty much never miss a pass), quicker response to button presses, more accurate crossing, easier to dribble past players (less reliance on skill moves), goalkeepers weaker, defending more manual (although I never used AI defending so I am used to this already), easier to steal the ball off the opposition cleanly.

Personally, I think it's a little too slow and the passing and dribbling are too accurate and easy, respectively. I felt like I could cut through teams too easily without enough defensive opposition.

But, I understand why they have made it simpler to play - now what you want to happen can actually happen e.g. that pass, dribble, cross and shot you wanted to make will be made. So, the fun factor will go up for those who found Fifa 17 too hard to play. But at this moment, although those are all things I wanted in the game, now that I have them, I find it's too easy to play!

But, my thoughts may change......