TV Series Thread

Comments

• Cleveland
    2639 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited August 2017
    Welbeck wrote: »
    ik this isn't the book thread so slightly off topic but have you read any of the sample chapters? Much different from the show?
    TWOW and S7E6 spoiler:

There is a sample chapter where
    Tyrion finds a bloody cream and gold cyvasse piece
    rsz_o08pp5r.png

• Cleveland
    Ash wrote: »
    I can live with that though
    What you mean I double posted real quick there lol
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    Cleveland wrote: »

even if it doesn't get finished, i'd rather that than some incredibly generic ending which is where the show is going.
  • Cleveland
    edited August 2017

even if it doesn't get finished, i'd rather that than some incredibly generic ending which is where the show is going.
    Mate do you really think the broad strokes of the ending are gonna be different? How we get there will be much better written in the books but it will hit almost all of the same major plot points-GRRM has been clear about that.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain

Mate do you really think the broad strokes of the ending are gonna be different? How we get there will be much better written in the books but it will hit almost all of the same major plot points-GRRM has been clear about that.

it should be more complex than dragons vs zombies anyway, tbh I already know the ending probably won't be that satisfying anyway but anything but that
  • Cleveland

it should be more complex than dragons vs zombies anyway, tbh I already know the ending probably won't be that satisfying anyway but anything but that
    Quite reductionist to say it's just that, but yeah that's where it was always heading. Bad, illlogical storytelling if it didn't come to this.
  • Low Ki
    11728 posts Has That Special Something
    Also, GRRM isn't the evil "subvert muh tropes" genius that y'all and Reddit think he is. Love seeing their meltdown that a fantasy story has heroes and good guys fighting bad guys. Tories.

If they were still following GRRM's books then we'd have multiple episodes dedicated to discussions about dwarfcock.
  • Cleveland
    Low Ki wrote: »
    Also, GRRM isn't the evil "subvert muh tropes" genius that y'all and Reddit think he is. Love seeing their meltdown that a fantasy story has heroes and good guys fighting bad guys. Tories.

If they were still following GRRM's books then we'd have multiple episodes dedicated to discussions about dwarfcock.

:joy: along with much better dialogue throughout, yes
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    edited August 2017
    GRRM on Tolkien:
    "I admire Tolkien greatly. His books had enormous influence on me. And the trope that he sort of established—the idea of the Dark Lord and his Evil Minions—in the hands of lesser writers over the years and decades has not served the genre well. It has been beaten to death. The battle of good and evil is a great subject for any book and certainly for a fantasy book, but I think ultimately the battle between good and evil is weighed within the individual human heart and not necessarily between an army of people dressed in white and an army of people dressed in black. When I look at the world, I see that most real living breathing human beings are grey."

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/556384-i-admire-tolkien-greatly-his-books-had-enormous-influence-on
    AKA, the end-game will not simply be a whitewashed ensemble cast unified entirely against the Others. We probably aren't going to have a moment where 'the beacons are lit' -- which is what my original question asked. Nothing about 'muh tropes'. You didn't have to go all woke Slaynaerys, friend.
    Cleveland wrote:
    Tories
    Please don't do this again.
  • Shane
    23803 posts Club Captain
    Didn't think the leaked episode was the best of the season, let alone the best of the entire show. The writing had flaws and it just lacked something.

I don't know if I care about the white walkers at all tbh. They just seem like generic supernatural bad guys. Perhaps that will change once the story progresses a bit further
  • Boothy
    6919 posts Big Money Move
    Only just watched the latest episode yesterday. Too many plot holes for me.
    Anyone enlighten me as to where the white walkers got them chains from.
  • Low Ki
    Boothy wrote: »
    Home Depot. The original plan was to use the chains to cross the ice in the time since Jon sent a raven to Dany and she returned with dragons.
  • Boothy
    edited August 2017
    Boothy wrote: »
    Home Depot. The original plan was to use the chains to cross the ice in the time since Jon sent a raven to Dany and she returned with dragons.
    It explains why it's taking them so long to get to the wall having to haul them around.
  • Rhodesia
    779 posts Semi-Pro
    Ridikuluz wrote: »
    Rhodesia wrote: »
    Latest Peaks episode was excellent. Sarah Palmer is The Mother.

I feel like Twin Peaks, and David Lynch in general gets away with a lot under the guise of surrealism/experimental film making.
    I think that's sort of the point with Lynch, isn't it? On the one hand you'll have group A circle-jerking over the multiple facets of Diane's subconscious and the various thematic allusions each character represents in Mulholland Dr. whilst on the other you'll have group B staunchly rejecting his convoluted pish for nothing more than faux-art.

Personally, I've always gravitated toward Lynch down to the inscrutability of his work (which replicates itself in my other favourites in film/reading). There's just something rewarding in trying to decipher what the creator is trying to say, when, at the same time it's perfectly rational to come to the conclusion they really aren't trying to say anything!

At the very least, I think you have to accredit him for consistently bringing something fresh and alternative to the table.
    ----
    I think your point rings sort of true re: Twin Peaks for season 3. With the original run, the quality of the show definitely yo-yo's, but there's no denying the impact it had upon Television and the tropes it laid at the time.

Again, on the one hand I think you can see S3 as Lynch being extremely bold; unwavering in his decision to play S3 as a total slow-burner, with strong resistance to make callbacks to the original run, frustrating his core fan-base in the process as some act of greatness... Or, you can see it as a grand facade of edginess that modern cable allows him to explore with more explicitness.
    [aside] Italics working again is a game changer.

That's a pretty succinct definition of why I like him. Most of what he does I love. Before I watched Twin Peaks a few years back I didn't really like TV, I never had the patience. But for S3 some of his creative choices are kinda of strange, even in the context of David Lynch. For example, I don't understand why almost every major female character is such a loud mouth. I also don't understand the 1st two scenes Aubrey has shown up in. Yeah I get that's its probably intentionally infuriating, and its some sort of in keeping with the overall commentary on how modern TV audiences impatient. But they were just really poorly written, I couldn't wait for the scene to be over. I think Aubrey called out insulted her husband for having "no balls"

That was The Walking Dead. Literally. It felt like a potentially fantastic episode ruined by a lot of logistical stupidity. This isn't even me talking in a le book reader purist tone on things like terrible dialogue, and little continuity errors or anything; the tension was absolutely stripped bare. That's absolutely pivotal in an action episode like this. For those who mentioned Hardhome; the contrast between this episode and Hardhome is markedly different.

Like seriously,
    I don't know how an episode where a **** Dragon is killed and turned managed to be this ****.

I don't even think it's fair to class that as a meme anymore. Benioff and Weiss never did 100% justice to the book even in the earlier seasons, but in my opinion it was still pretty excellent TV that was 90% good enough. Now that they've got no source material and just a general outline of where the plot is going, it's shown their faults even more glaringly. If its up to them it either a snails pace or traveling from one end of the world to the other in a minute.

They walked beyond the wall, found a walker, were surrounded by the army of the dead, sent a guy to run back to the wall, had him send a raven, waited in the cold for **** knows how long, had Dragon lady get the raven then fly to them, had the various stages of the fight scene then had John ride back to the wall all within the space of something like 20 minutes? The pacing is awful, it's implausible and like you said stripes away the tension because they have almost zero lead in. Watch that scene and anything from the first 2-3 seasons and the pace makes it seem like a different show.

Everyone associated with the show know they've got enough rabid fanboys and that they are close enough to the end that the vast majority of viewers wont care nor notice. Throw in Jon stroking Dragon queens hand and everything else is forgotten.

• Low Ki
    The Catherine Coulson scene in Twin Peaks was incredibly touching and emotional. She literally got to say goodbye.

I thought the last ep was fascinating to see it started out with such a lighthearted scene only to get darker and more depressing by the minute, culminating in the scream before the credits.

Typical Lynch.
  • Cleveland
    "I hope I deserve it" best line in television history ffs :weary:

GRRM has really written the greatest two characters ever and now they're in love :weary:

Lyanna Targaryen soon come :weary:
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    That's a pretty succinct definition of why I like him. Most of what he does I love. Before I watched Twin Peaks a few years back I didn't really like TV, I never had the patience. But for S3 some of his creative choices are kinda of strange, even in the context of David Lynch. For example, I don't understand why almost every major female character is such a loud mouth. I also don't understand the 1st two scenes Aubrey has shown up in. Yeah I get that's its probably intentionally infuriating, and its some sort of in keeping with the overall commentary on how modern TV audiences impatient. But they were just really poorly written, I couldn't wait for the scene to be over. I think Aubrey called out insulted her husband for having "no balls"
    HXCDNds.png
    I see your point: Cooper and Audrey were easily the two biggest characters in the original run, yet we're fifteen episodes deep and we've had Audrey for about 3 scenes - this iteration, at least - and 0 actual Cooper. It's definitely one of those things where Lynch can basically play the 'I'm David Lynch' wildcard.

Still, the past two episodes have been a lot more linear/conventional, and they've been fantastic. Arcs are finally being resolved with the pay-off being fantastic.
    I don't even think it's fair to class that as a meme anymore. Benioff and Weiss never did 100% justice to the book even in the earlier seasons, but in my opinion it was still pretty excellent TV that was 90% good enough. Now that they've got no source material and just a general outline of where the plot is going, it's shown their faults even more glaringly. If its up to them it either a snails pace or traveling from one end of the world to the other in a minute.

They walked beyond the wall, found a walker, were surrounded by the army of the dead, sent a guy to run back to the wall, had him send a raven, waited in the cold for **** knows how long, had Dragon lady get the raven then fly to them, had the various stages of the fight scene then had John ride back to the wall all within the space of something like 20 minutes? The pacing is awful, it's implausible and like you said stripes away the tension because they have almost zero lead in. Watch that scene and anything from the first 2-3 seasons and the pace makes it seem like a different show.

Everyone associated with the show know they've got enough rabid fanboys and that they are close enough to the end that the vast majority of viewers wont care nor notice. Throw in Jon stroking Dragon queens hand and everything else is forgotten.
    I caught the 'Behind the Episode' video for the most recent episode on YouTube, and D&D mentioned how they'd been throbbing for four[!] seasons for a 'zombie polar-bear' and were in adulation at the execution for about a minute and a half. I think that says all about the show-runners motivations.
  • Tim1982
    1146 posts Professional
    Ha finally caught up on GOT so I can check this thread out. And there are Twin Peaks fans here too! Awesome!
  • Low Ki
    HXCDNds.png
    I see your point: Cooper and Audrey were easily the two biggest characters in the original run, yet we're fifteen episodes deep and we've had Audrey for about 3 scenes - this iteration, at least - and 0 actual Cooper. It's definitely one of those things where Lynch can basically play the 'I'm David Lynch' wildcard.

Still, the past two episodes have been a lot more linear/conventional, and they've been fantastic. Arcs are finally being resolved with the pay-off being fantastic.

I caught the 'Behind the Episode' video for the most recent episode on YouTube, and D&D mentioned how they'd been throbbing for four[!] seasons for a 'zombie polar-bear' and were in adulation at the execution for about a minute and a half. I think that says all about the show-runners motivations.

Someone pointed out to me that in the last episode, one of the guys fighting with the staff is hitting nothing because they forgot to add CGI whitewalkers :lol:

Says a lot when both story and production are so rushed.
  • Tim1982
    1146 posts Professional
    HXCDNds.png

Someone pointed out to me that in the last episode, one of the guys fighting with the staff is hitting nothing because they forgot to add CGI whitewalkers :lol:

Says a lot when both story and production are so rushed.

Ha come on we can forgive that one!! They don't get a lot wrong! (Or maybe I'm not watching closely enough!)
  • Welbeck
    5117 posts Big Money Move

GRRM has really written the greatest two characters ever and now they're in love :weary:

(Show at least) Danaerys is not one of the best characters ever.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    I probably prefer her in the show to the books, not saying much mind
  • Low Ki
  • Boothy
    edited August 2017
    As others pointed out that's from the behind scenes video.
  • Cleveland
    Welbeck wrote: »

(Show at least) Danaerys is not one of the best characters ever.

keep hatin RLTx1pS.png
  • cmm_1991
    2068 posts Fans' Favourite
    I hate dany
  • SC1967
    10649 posts Has That Special Something
    cmm_1991 wrote: »
    I hate dany

I used to find her incredibly boring but I'm really liking her this season.
  • cmm_1991
    2068 posts Fans' Favourite
    SC1967 wrote: »
    I hate dany

She comes across very arrogant, obviously when you're mother of dragons, breaker of chains , khaleesi and whatever else she is she's got the right ...but Jon snow and the hound are yer boy
  • SC1967
    10649 posts Has That Special Something
    SC1967 wrote: »
    I hate dany

She comes across very arrogant, obviously when you're mother of dragons, breaker of chains , khaleesi and whatever else she is she's got the right ...but Jon snow and the hound are yer boy

Yeah I get what you mean. She's starting to get a bit more perspective on things now though.
  • Low Ki
    Twin Peaks.....about damn time! :D