EA doesn't know how to esports

LoboNobo
6385 posts Big Money Move
The FIFA International World Cup 2017 is currently live. This is the last and most important tournament of FIFA 17, yet there's little to none information on it. There's no live tables to find and no details on the format. They don't promote competitive FIFA either, just like you see it in other established esports games like LoL, CS or Dota. There's just absoutely no hype around this event.

Comments

• LoboNobo
    edited August 2017
    And the fact that nobody cares here, and there are about 30 comments on Reddit on FIWC thread shows how poor EA is at marketing the competitive part of their game. And we know how good EA is at promoting things, this just shows that they don't care about esports. And if they keep this mindset, they will never attempt to make the game more balanced and fair.
  • DieWölfe14
    1814 posts Play-Off Hero
    I don't think it will get as big as people think. FIFA is pretty much the only game I play and I love football but I hate to watch someone else playing FIFA , boring to be honest but that's just my opinion
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    I don't think we'll ever see esports for actual sports video games actually taking off. They're trying to use numbers to mimic real life actions which on principle can never be as consistent as shooters or mobas and as a result trying to force it into esports is a joke. Even people with the most remedial understand of soccer can look at videos of two pro FIFA players and see just how ridiculous it looks.
  • Quinn87
    1898 posts Fans' Favourite
  • DieWölfe14
    1814 posts Play-Off Hero
    Quinn87 wrote: »

Really, wow how ridiculous :D
  • mindm4ster
    4926 posts Big Money Move
    this is FIFa tournament -not FUT

kids care only about FUT
  • Retro_G
    28184 posts Player of the Year
    edited August 2017
    It can take years to grow an eSport. The most important thing is having an established hardcore player base. The mode needs drastic changes, then more of the community will get on board with competitive Fifa.

That's why a proper competitive ladder is vital. They should not exclude potential viewers by locking them out of competitive Fifa due to their skill level.

Don't make casual player's resent the mode. Fut Champions needs to be open to the whole Fifa community with proper skill based matchmaking, skill rating so we know what level opponents we're playing.
  • LoboNobo
    bear wrote: »
    I don't think we'll ever see esports for actual sports video games actually taking off. They're trying to use numbers to mimic real life actions which on principle can never be as consistent as shooters or mobas and as a result trying to force it into esports is a joke. Even people with the most remedial understand of soccer can look at videos of two pro FIFA players and see just how ridiculous it looks.

I'm sure soldiers will say CS:GO is ridiculous as well, yet the game is very balanced, skillful and exciting. FIFA could be like that as well, but we all know EA has other priorities. Even forcing manual would be a huge step towards FIFA being more about skill than it is now.

Lol, I didn't know that. Still, I doubt many people are watching it.
    mindm4ster wrote: »

kids care only about FUT

It's FUT
    Retro_G wrote: »
    It can take years to grow an eSport. The most important thing is having an established hardcore player base. The mode needs drastic changes, then more of the community will get on board with competitive Fifa.

That's why a proper competitive ladder is vital. They should not exclude potential viewers by locking them out of competitive Fifa due to their skill level.

Don't make casual player's resent the mode. Fut Champions needs to be open to the whole Fifa community with proper skill based matchmaking, skill rating so we know what level opponents we're playing.

The whole idea of FUT Champions is broken and has nothing to do with any format used in competitive sports or esports. I agree it needs to be completely reworked, with addition of competitive 1v1 where you face players with similar ELO (which should be visible).

And it's true that it takes years to grow and esport, but all I'm saying is EA is taking the wrong steps. Look at Overwatch - the game instantly became top 5 esports games, and is still highly popular. With the number of people buying every FIFA for years, you'd think esports world would be a bit more developed. You can compare it to COD, which is also a year-to-year franchise, and COD tournaments are getting much more views and interest from COD community than FIFA does.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    LoboNobo wrote: »

I'm sure soldiers will say CS:GO is ridiculous as well, yet the game is very balanced, skillful and exciting. FIFA could be like that as well, but we all know EA has other priorities. Even forcing manual would be a huge step towards FIFA being more about skill than it is now.

CS:GO isn't trying to simulate war.....EA is trying simulate a sport with FIFA, and calling every new game the most realistic since the last. It doesn't matter who clicks the mouse the gun shoots where the crosshair is pointing on the screen, every single time exactly the same without failure. That is not the case in fifa and will never be the case. If someone presses X to slide tackle the game decides for them what kind of animation comes out, if they press nothing the game may or may not have the player they're controlling stick their leg out and whether or not they win the ball is a roll of the dice. When only 1/13th of the moving parts on the screen is in control of the users (and not even full control) you will never get a true skill based competition.
  • TeamRem
    2341 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think your posts are really well thought out and organized. I believe most of what you said. My biggest disagreement is the carrot that you threw in to hook people like me--that esports would provide balance and fairness to the game. I don't care about esports. I'll never watch them, and on a personal level, I think they perpetuate the faster flow of ways to abuse game mechanics. All I have seen from WL is that it's raised the stakes for casual players to be incentivized into playing as unfairly and unbalanced as possible. In turn I think the gameplay and the community have plummeted. Making esports for fut only accelerates this degradation.

Could you explain how you think a more popular fut esport presence will make the game more fair and balanced?
  • LoboNobo

CS:GO isn't trying to simulate war.....EA is trying simulate a sport with FIFA, and calling every new game the most realistic since the last. It doesn't matter who clicks the mouse the gun shoots where the crosshair is pointing on the screen, every single time exactly the same without failure. That is not the case in fifa and will never be the case. If someone presses X to slide tackle the game decides for them what kind of animation comes out, if they press nothing the game may or may not have the player they're controlling stick their leg out and whether or not they win the ball is a roll of the dice. When only 1/13th of the moving parts on the screen is in control of the users (and not even full control) you will never get a true skill based competition.

But it should be the case in FIFA, that's the point. Make manual controls obligatory in competitive mode - yes, it's extremely hard, and casuals will not touch it, but esports should be hard and not for casuals. Also, in this perfect world, an average Joe would look at pros playing the game and think to himself "wow, they're so amazing, the way they aim their passes and shots, the way they time their tackles is so skillful - I wanna be like them and train hard". I mean that's why esports can be so exciting - you see other players with incredible skill and you try to replicate some of it. Currently, when you watch FIFA, there's just too much standard plays and too much random bs happening to think like that.

I agree that controlling only 1 player makes it more random, and it's a true challenge to make the bots be balanced. But still, I believe EA could do much better in this aspect than we see now, or they could shift they attention to 11v11 (which will never happen, unless they somehow connect FUT with Pro Clubs).
    TeamRem wrote: »
    I think your posts are really well thought out and organized. I believe most of what you said. My biggest disagreement is the carrot that you threw in to hook people like me--that esports would provide balance and fairness to the game. I don't care about esports. I'll never watch them, and on a personal level, I think they perpetuate the faster flow of ways to abuse game mechanics. All I have seen from WL is that it's raised the stakes for casual players to be incentivized into playing as unfairly and unbalanced as possible. In turn I think the gameplay and the community have plummeted. Making esports for fut only accelerates this degradation.

Could you explain how you think a more popular fut esport presence will make the game more fair and balanced?

Your first paragraph is based on FIFA, but in other esports there's no such thing as "abusing game mechanics". There's just pure mechanical skill and tactics. IMO FIFA should stop trying to be realistic, because it will never happen. Instead, they should focus on balancing the game. Tackles for example, currently when you tackle more often then not you won't gain control over the ball, the ball will randomly bounce. I think every tackle should be 100% successful - you can either time it perfectly and get the ball instantly, or time it badly and do nothing, letting your opponent run past you or whatever. Sure, it's not realistic, but at least it seems fair.

As to the last sentence, it's the opposite - making the game more fair and balanced will lead to a more popular FUT esport presence, and that's the point of my little rant.
  • TeamRem
    2341 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ahh thanks for explaining sorry I didn't understand at first. What you call "pure mechanical skill and tactics" I call "good at abusing game mechanics". I respect our difference of opinion. Good luck man.
  • Retro_G
    edited August 2017

kids care only about FUT

It's FUT

The whole idea of FUT Champions is broken and has nothing to do with any format used in competitive sports or esports. I agree it needs to be completely reworked, with addition of competitive 1v1 where you face players with similar ELO (which should be visible).

And it's true that it takes years to grow and esport, but all I'm saying is EA is taking the wrong steps. Look at Overwatch - the game instantly became top 5 esports games, and is still highly popular. With the number of people buying every FIFA for years, you'd think esports world would be a bit more developed. You can compare it to COD, which is also a year-to-year franchise, and COD tournaments are getting much more views and interest from COD community than FIFA does.

Overwatch grew so fast, because it used the same competitive format as the other big eSport games you listed, has a gold standard netcode. When I play Overwatch, it never feels like my opponent has a conection advantage. It's one of the few console games that use 60Hz tickrate servers.

Fifa is popular, although the way competitive is done needs drastic changes, netcode should be the priority. E.A. try to accommodate every player, not matter how poor their connection. While Blizzard will ban you from competitive seasons for using unstable internet that keeps dropping. Poor Internet isn't acceptable in a competitive environment, an unstable connection will impact both players.
  • KeepItUp
    1295 posts Professional

kids care only about FUT

Than I 'm a kid
  • JohnDoe
    11253 posts Has That Special Something
    KeepItUp wrote: »

kids care only about FUT

Than I 'm a kid

That is indeed what your post leads us to believe.

• exzoo
    31920 posts National Team Captain
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    KeepItUp wrote: »

kids care only about FUT

Than I 'm a kid

That is indeed what your post leads us to believe.

:joy:
  • bjornheisenberg
    3714 posts National Call-Up

kids care only about FUT

It's FUT

Overwatch grew so fast, because it used the same competitive format as the other big eSport games you listed, has a gold standard netcode. When I play Overwatch, it never feels like my opponent has a conection advantage. It's one of the few console games that use 60Hz tickrate servers.

Fifa is popular, although the way competitive is done needs drastic changes, netcode should be the priority. E.A. try to accommodate every player, not matter how poor their connection. While Blizzard will ban you from competitive seasons for using unstable internet that keeps dropping. Poor Internet isn't acceptable in a competitive environment, an unstable connection will impact both players.

you wouldnt feel a connection advantage on a shooter compared to fifa....unless the connection is bad enough.

fifa has 11 players data to upload....so with a slightly dodgy isp, congested local area or dodgy agreements to exit your country you gonna have more issues on fifa
  • RedKraut
    682 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I watched for a bit and quickly realized why I prefer watching an FPS over this crap: it wasn't something I hadn't seen before. Atleast with an FPS there's an element of teamwork, strategy and tactical awareness that very few experience while playing. Fifa, on the other hand, is nothing but a quick-twitch contest with both players doing the same skill moves over and over again. It's just flat out boring. Wouldn't matter what EA did to make the game more sim-like or skill-based as pros will always resort to the most effective methods which ultimately leads to every match looking the same. There is no variance aside from the inconsistent animations. It's the same with all sports games.
  • Retro_G

kids care only about FUT

It's FUT

you wouldnt feel a connection advantage on a shooter compared to fifa....unless the connection is bad enough.

fifa has 11 players data to upload....so with a slightly dodgy isp, congested local area or dodgy agreements to exit your country you gonna have more issues on fifa

Disagree, you will definitely notice a difference in a shooter with bad netcode, as long as you're half decent. Same story in an FPS game, will feel like you're a half second behind the play, shots not registering, getting hit behind a cover. What causes these issues? High ping unstable connections that impact everyone in a lobby.

A game like Battlefield can have up to 64 players uploading to a server in a game, then it has thousands of calculations going on in the background. Fighting games with bad netcode will have you dropping combo strings.
  • PelzyWelzy
    9319 posts League Winner
    RedKraut wrote: »
    I watched for a bit and quickly realized why I prefer watching an FPS over this ****: it wasn't something I hadn't seen before. Atleast with an FPS there's an element of teamwork, strategy and tactical awareness that very few experience while playing. Fifa, on the other hand, is nothing but a quick-twitch contest with both players doing the same skill moves over and over again. It's just flat out boring. Wouldn't matter what EA did to make the game more sim-like or skill-based as pros will always resort to the most effective methods which ultimately leads to every match looking the same. There is no variance aside from the inconsistent animations. It's the same with all sports games.

Hit the nail on there head mate...
  • Retro_G
    I watched for a bit and quickly realized why I prefer watching an FPS over this ****: it wasn't something I hadn't seen before. Atleast with an FPS there's an element of teamwork, strategy and tactical awareness that very few experience while playing. Fifa, on the other hand, is nothing but a quick-twitch contest with both players doing the same skill moves over and over again. It's just flat out boring. Wouldn't matter what EA did to make the game more sim-like or skill-based as pros will always resort to the most effective methods which ultimately leads to every match looking the same. There is no variance aside from the inconsistent animations. It's the same with all sports games.

Watch a pro Fighting game. It's 1 vs 1, they're great to watch. It doesn't need to be a team game for it to be a successful eSport. It just needs to be balanced fairly, have a skill gap with at least two effective gamestyles. You can zone your opponent out or get in close in a fighting game.

The worst thing that can happen for a competitive game, is for a certain style of play to be more effective than the rest. Let your player base express themselves freely with multiple playstyles. Get rid of the cheap exploits. They should've never removed custom formations as it took away a dimension of the game, condensed the skill gap.
  • mindm4ster
    edited August 2017

kids care only about FUT

It's FUT

no it's not FUT ,it's H2H

Fifa Interactive CLUB WC is FUt if I'm not mistaken
  • LoboNobo
    @mindm4ster you are mistaken, I've watched FIFA Interactive World Cup for a bit and it was FUT. It's the final event, consisting of players that qualified through FUT Champions tournaments.

Truth is, FIFA in its current state is nowhere near competitiveness. There are too many random factors, unclear features and overpowered mechanics/tactics. The game is completely unbalanced for years now, and I doubt it will change within next few years or so. Therefore, I don't see a bright future for competitive FIFA.
  • mindm4ster
    @mindm4ster you are mistaken, I've watched FIFA Interactive World Cup for a bit and it was FUT. It's the final event, consisting of players that qualified through FUT Champions tournaments.

Truth is, FIFA in its current state is nowhere near competitiveness. There are too many random factors, unclear features and overpowered mechanics/tactics. The game is completely unbalanced for years now, and I doubt it will change within next few years or so. Therefore, I don't see a bright future for competitive FIFA.

there are two tournaments

Fifa Interactive World Cup - H2H
    Fifa interactive Club World Club -FUT
  • LoboNobo

there are two tournaments

Fifa Interactive World Cup - H2H
    Fifa interactive Club World Club -FUT

why do you post stuff without researching them
    FIFA Interactive Club World Cup has finished on 5th August, and it was FUT, as seen here: http://www.fifa.com/interactiveworldcup/club-world-cup/index.html

FIFA Interactive World Cup is currently live, it involves the likes of Gorilla or Tass and it's also FUT, as you can see here:
  • RedKraut
    682 posts An Exciting Prospect

Watch a pro Fighting game. It's 1 vs 1, they're great to watch. It doesn't need to be a team game for it to be a successful eSport. It just needs to be balanced fairly, have a skill gap with at least two effective gamestyles. You can zone your opponent out or get in close in a fighting game.

The worst thing that can happen for a competitive game, is for a certain style of play to be more effective than the rest. Let your player base express themselves freely with multiple playstyles. Get rid of the cheap exploits. They should've never removed custom formations as it took away a dimension of the game, condensed the skill gap.

Completely agree. Would love to see different styles be equal to another, atleast for my own personal enjoyment while playing. I still dont think it would matter for the pros playing style though or my viewing experience. Even if EA were able to create a system where counter attacking with x formation was equal to park the bus in x formation etc, the pros are still going to resort to using attackers with 4* skill moves, pace, and strength. You could argue that if EA made passing more important, or positioning, or whatever, that it might change the dynamic and make it more entertaining but I still think every pro would end up with the same team of players playing the exact same way. Thats what's boring about it. The more competitive a sports game becomes, the more it resembles an elbaborate game of pong. There is simply way too much AI interference in a sports game for me to be able to watch it and say 'wow, that guy just did something special'. Thats why a fighting game would sell, for the simple fact that its 1v1 and every move is magnified without outside interference. Sports games will never have that option for obvious reasons.

How would you fix it though? Im genuinely curious as I havent the slighest idea about game development. Dumb down the AI? Turn it into more of a streetball-type game? Thatd definitely increase the skill gap but would probably drive casuals away.

• RadioShaq
    14897 posts Moderator
    The fut one with Kurt and gorilla last year was watched and entertaining. When is that one or has it already been played?
  • Cornushon
    4520 posts National Call-Up
    I totally support full manual controls, passing, shooting, crossing and tackling must be full manual. Only this way we get true cometitive game based on skill... ATM FIFA is no more that sick joke to pump money...
  • Schmucke13
    196 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The first thing that fifa has to change is the randomness of the game. There is so many weird things happening in the game that it becomes boring and stupid. I will put my example and i bet a lot of you guys have experienced it. 75% of my games are online vs 2 friends, they also play against each other, so out of 10 games i dominate one of my friends lets say 8 times... Then he suddenly comes and beats me with a ridiculous score of 6-0, he then goes on and wins 2 or 3 in a row where I can't even score a goal. Then suddenly i go back to a winning streak of 8 or 9 games and after that everything repeats again.... So the main question here is: Do i become a fifa god and suddenly forget how to play? Does my friend adapt to my game style and makes the adjustments to win? Or is it simply the BS randomness of this awful game?
  • bjornheisenberg
    3714 posts National Call-Up

kids care only about FUT

It's FUT

Disagree, you will definitely notice a difference in a shooter with bad netcode, as long as you're half decent. Same story in an FPS game, will feel like you're a half second behind the play, shots not registering, getting hit behind a cover. What causes these issues? High ping unstable connections that impact everyone in a lobby.

A game like Battlefield can have up to 64 players uploading to a server in a game, then it has thousands of calculations going on in the background. Fighting games with bad netcode will have you dropping combo strings.

If it's bad netcode more would complain

There are factors I fail to see how netcode can work.
    In games with less upload this Will be less of an issue..a 50ms won't make a difference as you can change yer style...see first before you are seen.

With fifa there are 11 players data to upload and you don't get no walls or grass to hide behind