Comments

• Bean
    3830 posts National Call-Up
    I don't want to lose any of those people
    especially Gendry, be **** pissed if that happens. Think Beric,
    Thoros and Jorah are **** tho
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    12836 posts Has That Special Something
    That episode was just brilliant!! Loved everything about it...

When JS took his glove off and touched the dragon.... :o :o :o
  • SC1967
    10641 posts Has That Special Something
    Anyone watched episode 6? Leaked early.

Watch it. I'm shook after it.
  • Welbeck
    5117 posts Big Money Move
    SC1967 wrote: »
    Anyone watched episode 6? Leaked early.

Watch it. I'm shook after it.
    **** incredible man, literally unbelievable TV
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    Latest Peaks episode was excellent. Sarah Palmer is The Mother.
  • Bean
    3830 posts National Call-Up
    Had to give in and watch the episode, Would've been impossible for me to not get spoiled on social media. So **** glad I did now.
  • cmm_1991
    2060 posts Fans' Favourite
    GOT might be the best media ever imo, the storyline is so gripping .....
  • Cleveland
    2639 posts Fans' Favourite
    GoT just keeps getting better

But grab some tissues for this one rsz_o08pp5r.png
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    edited August 2017
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but is it really that good? It just sounds like another gigantic Hollywood-tier fight episode, which the show does very well, but 'unbelievable TV'?
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    what i've heard it sounds silly af
  • Cleveland
    The second to last scene is way better than the battle scene rsz_o08pp5r.png
  • CM10
    5043 posts Big Money Move
    Torn on whether to watch it early or not
  • Sloosh
    6753 posts Big Money Move
    comfortably one of my favourite episodes
  • SC1967
    10641 posts Has That Special Something
    Ridikuluz wrote: »
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but is it really that good? It just sounds like another gigantic Hollywood-tier fight episode, which the show does very well, but 'unbelievable TV'?

It is unbelievable TV. Just like Hardhome and Battle of the *beep*.

They're big battle episodes...but that doesn't make them any less incredible.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ugh, gonna have to watch it so it doesn't get spoiled. Some **** have posted stuff on Twitter that may or may not be true, but it still affects my viewing experience either way.

And now a longer wait for the finale.
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    That was The Walking Dead. Literally. It felt like a potentially fantastic episode ruined by a lot of logistical stupidity. This isn't even me talking in a le book reader purist tone on things like terrible dialogue, and little continuity errors or anything; the tension was absolutely stripped bare. That's absolutely pivotal in an action episode like this. For those who mentioned Hardhome; the contrast between this episode and Hardhome is markedly different.

Like seriously,
    I don't know how an episode where a **** Dragon is killed and turned managed to be this ****.
  • Daniel
    1755 posts Play-Off Hero
    That was The Walking Dead. Literally. It felt like a potentially fantastic episode ruined by a lot of logistical stupidity. This isn't even me talking in a le book reader purist tone on things like terrible dialogue, and little continuity errors or anything; the tension was absolutely stripped bare. That's absolutely pivotal in an action episode like this. For those who mentioned Hardhome; the contrast between this episode and Hardhome is markedly different.

Like seriously,
    I don't know how an episode where a **** Dragon is killed and turned managed to be this ****.

The episode aggravated me too, even though I enjoyed it a lot. I mean, it's difficult not to be entertained when every scene is so momentous.

What the episode showcases for me is how important a quality director is. It's so clear when someone is handling material that is beyond them. The guy that directed this, Alan Taylor, also directed Thor: The Dark World and Terminator Genisys. That's all you need to know about him.

The man that should've directed the episode, Miguel Sapochnik, also directed Hardhome, BotB, and The Winds of Winter. Many consider those three episodes to be the best of the entire series. Unfortunately he couldn't fit this season into his schedule, but I honestly believe his absence is the difference between this season being good, and being great.

The finale was directed by Jeremy Podeswa, who can be very hit and miss.
  • Niall
    2351 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited August 2017
    Can someone send me a game of thrones link? :)
    Got it now thanks!
  • CM10
    5043 posts Big Money Move
    That felt like a parody at times. The Walking Dead description is exactly right.
  • nineteeeen
    4351 posts National Call-Up
    that episode is totally overhyped imo. yes it was good but nowhere near Hardhome or BotB
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    Potential curveball aside, the show seems to be setting up for a clean-cut good vs evil/living vs dead end-game. Very Lord of the Rings, or The Wheel of Time like. Do people think ASOIAF will follow suit?
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    genuinely hope not, else waiting for the books rather than watching the show was a complete waste of time
  • Rhodesia
    779 posts Semi-Pro

I feel like Twin Peaks, and David Lynch in general gets away with a lot under the guise of surrealism/experimental film making.
  • Welbeck
    how long do you reckon he'll take on the last book with GoT finished at that point? If its another 6/7 years after TWOW I'll probably have lost interest tbh.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    my interest is already waning anyway, but once the book is released I'd imagine it will perk up, From the bits and pieces I've picked up, I definitely made the right call in not just having it spoilt by bad writing.
  • Welbeck
    ik this isn't the book thread so slightly off topic but have you read any of the sample chapters? Much different from the show?
  • Ridikuluz
    7696 posts League Winner
    edited August 2017
    Rhodesia wrote: »

I feel like Twin Peaks, and David Lynch in general gets away with a lot under the guise of surrealism/experimental film making.
    I think that's sort of the point with Lynch, isn't it? On the one hand you'll have group A circle-jerking over the multiple facets of Diane's subconscious and the various thematic allusions each character represents in Mulholland Dr. whilst on the other you'll have group B staunchly rejecting his convoluted pish for nothing more than faux-art.

Personally, I've always gravitated toward Lynch down to the inscrutability of his work (which replicates itself in my other favourites in film/reading). There's just something rewarding in trying to decipher what the creator is trying to say, when, at the same time it's perfectly rational to come to the conclusion they really aren't trying to say anything!

At the very least, I think you have to accredit him for consistently bringing something fresh and alternative to the table.
    ----
    I think your point rings sort of true re: Twin Peaks for season 3. With the original run, the quality of the show definitely yo-yo's, but there's no denying the impact it had upon Television and the tropes it laid at the time.

Again, on the one hand I think you can see S3 as Lynch being extremely bold; unwavering in his decision to play S3 as a total slow-burner, with strong resistance to make callbacks to the original run, frustrating his core fan-base in the process as some act of greatness... Or, you can see it as a grand facade of edginess that modern cable allows him to explore with more explicitness.
    [aside] Italics working again is a game changer.
  • Cleveland
    Ash wrote: »
    genuinely hope not, else waiting for the books rather than watching the show was a complete waste of time
    We're not getting the books rsz_o08pp5r.png

Every day that passes I believe more and more that he lost interest and won't finish, because he won't put out something that he views as less than perfect. I think when he couldn't make the 5 year gap work, and couldn't get the EXACT vision he wanted, he gave up.

• Cleveland
    edited August 2017
    Also, GRRM isn't the evil "subvert muh tropes" genius that y'all and Reddit think he is. Love seeing their meltdown that a fantasy story has heroes and good guys fighting bad guys. Tories.
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    I can live with that though