Struggling to stay in League 4. Help/advice needed

BiGFOOT_BiLL
67 posts Park Captain
Hello there,

After spending a decent amount of time in league 6 I managed back to back title wins to get into league 4 but it's become apparent after a season and a a half it'll be a real dog fight to stay in there.
I'll point out what I've been doing and see if any of ye can help me.

I have 2 teams I alternate between for my games: Both teams play 4-4-2 they are also both rated 82 as a team.
In order for chemistry to be good the entire team is made up of one nationality. I have an English team and a Brazilian team. (helps with fitness as I generally don't sub players)
Tactically I haven't changed the defaults for player instructions but I have customized the team tactics. Everything is set to 50, Defence is Cover,Build up and chance creation are both Organized.
Admittedly I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to player/match tactics yet so this might have room for improvement, with the current tactics I find that I have a good balance all around for the time being.

In terms of how I play:
I have no idea how to use the right analog when I have the ball so I don't even try to use it. (help needed with this)
When defending I try to track back with the CM/midfielders and let the AI take care of the defenders when the opposing team is on the ball. I find this is the best way thus far to pressure them off the ball.
In attack I generally try and cross the ball into the box from the wing, shoot from outside the area or try and get a through ball into one of the attackers. (I don't really have the skill atm to dribble my way into the box like Messi)

Observations:
There are times when it seem like the opposing team is reacting twice as quickly to my team in terms of their reaction times to gaining/losing the ball. (This can even be case against players that are worse statistically than mine)
Rooney can apparently outpace Raheem Sterling when he's playing against me. :D

Currently I'm working on the Premier league SBC to get 87 Harry Kane as I feel that's the best way to strengthen my English team.

All help/advice appreciate. :)

Comments

• ZZGSW
    132 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I struggled the same way you did, than I decided to build a Calcio A squad using 4-2-3-1 formation, and ta-da. I am in division 1 or 2 , and in WLs
  • SanderFC
    2979 posts National Call-Up
    Currently I'm working on the Premier league SBC to get 87 Harry Kane as I feel that's the best way to strengthen my English team.

DON'T

It costs you 200k+ and you most likely don't get enough from the packs + 87 Kane isn't good enough in this stage of the game with everywhere TOTS cards. Also, if you like Kane, the TOTS is cheaper than the SBC and you can sell him if you don't like him.

Don't make your squad exclusively one nation! One league is significantly better but a hybrid is simply the best.
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class
    442 is too flat, as soon as you move players around you'll get exposed should you lose the ball.
  • BiGFOOT_BiLL
    67 posts Park Captain
    ZZGSW wrote: »
    I struggled the same way you did, than I decided to build a Calcio A squad using 4-2-3-1 formation, and ta-da. I am in division 1 or 2 , and in WLs

I has a Serie A team before, I was relying on Totti in a Cam role, It didn't go very well. lol

What tactics are you using with that formation then?
    SanderFC wrote: »

DON'T

It costs you 200k+ and you most likely don't get enough from the packs + 87 Kane isn't good enough in this stage of the game with everywhere TOTS cards. Also, if you like Kane, the TOTS is cheaper than the SBC and you can sell him if you don't like him.

Don't make your squad exclusively one nation! One league is significantly better but a hybrid is simply the best.

I've already done some of the teams unfortunately, How much is TOTS Kane compared to the version I'm working towards?
    Why is a hybrid team better than one nation btw? (Assuming they're the same team rating)
    Pieman25 wrote: »
    442 is too flat, as soon as you move players around you'll get exposed should you lose the ball.

I've found it tough to get a formation that's good for all areas of the pitch, if I do better in one area I tend to suffer in another.
    I had a Gold Ireland squad and played 4-1-4-1 for a while, it was okay for getting draws. :)
  • silverdale10
    1525 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited July 2017
    I went down from div 4 to 6 a couple of times before I finally got up to 3 (now in div 2), so don't worry about being relegated, you'll get back up soon enough even if you think it was a struggle to do so beforehand.
    I only use the right-stick to knock the ball on to sprint faster, and that's pretty rare, but it's good if you can skill a bit in the box (Elsewhere on the pitch it's usually a waste of time). The best thing you can do is just keep on playing and experiment with different formations and tactics and find out what works best for you.
  • PelzyWelzy
    10270 posts Has That Special Something

DON'T

Can not stress this enough!!!! Just don't do it, is madness.
  • BiGFOOT_BiLL
    67 posts Park Captain
    I went down from div 4 to 6 a couple of times before I finally got up to 3 (now in div 2), so don't worry about being relegated, you'll get back up soon enough even if you think it was a struggle to do so beforehand.
    I only use the right-stick to knock the ball on to sprint faster, and that's pretty rare, but it's good if you can skill a bit in the box (Elsewhere on the pitch it's usually a waste of time). The best thing you can do is just keep on playing and experiment with different formations and tactics and find out what works best for you.

You can hit the ball ahead of yourself while sprinting with the RS?
    Any particular suggestions (yt video, forum thread etc.) for learning the right-stick stuff?
    PelzyWelzy wrote: »

DON'T

Can not stress this enough!!!! Just don't do it, is madness.

Goddamnit.

A pity I started getting into it before finding this out. lol
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    I also found the skill level quite a jump between 4-5 but you do get used to it. It is quicker and you need to close gaps down more. Are you holding L2 enough on and off the ball to stop being shoved off the ball?

Take your time and don't rush. I'm now a div 3-4 player so not too different.
  • Dutchcaliber
    2788 posts Fans' Favourite
    Learn to face up dribble(lt rt dribble). It will help you with controlling the tempo of the game and finding space. After that you should learn some of the basic skills. Learn the body feint, the ball roll and the fake shot.
  • OttPa
    249 posts Sunday League Hero
    I am in your boat too, I have just reached div 4 for the first time. I too have two squads but find it useful to have them built from the same league, this way I can bring in players to change games or replace suspended guys etc. I find that using quick tactics helps to control the game and change the team mentality as and when, I was gutted to find out recently these quick tactics override my custom tactics though as I thought I'd struck gold until someone basically said that this ain't my doing after all.

• Shutup
    2310 posts Fans' Favourite
    Might just be your level? I consistently hold div 3, if I ever drop into div 4 I win the title unbeaten and I often go up to div 2 but fleetingly.

Unless you want to grind out wins like a sweat bag sheep then just be chill with having fun with your teams :)
  • OttPa
    249 posts Sunday League Hero
    Shutup wrote: »
    Might just be your level? I consistently hold div 3, if I ever drop into div 4 I win the title unbeaten and I often go up to div 2 but fleetingly.

This ..... I have often wondered about how much your level and star rating impact who you play against. I feel that my level and star rating are a false indication of my ability. I feel that I am paired against people with much more awareness of how to use the tactics and skill moves in the game. Does anyone know how these rankings/levels are gained
  • Retro_G
    32627 posts National Team Captain
    Look up a youtuber called BorasLegend. He has the best tutorial videos, will improve your game.
  • BiGFOOT_BiLL
    67 posts Park Captain
    Enigma8784 wrote: »
    I also found the skill level quite a jump between 4-5 but you do get used to it. It is quicker and you need to close gaps down more. Are you holding L2 enough on and off the ball to stop being shoved off the ball?

Is this why players keep muscling me off the ball?! I was wondering what that was.

Can you use L2 with R2 and not lose any sprinting speed?

OttPa wrote: »
    I am in your boat too, I have just reached div 4 for the first time. I too have two squads but find it useful to have them built from the same league, this way I can bring in players to change games or replace suspended guys etc. I find that using quick tactics helps to control the game and change the team mentality as and when, I was gutted to find out recently these quick tactics override my custom tactics though as I thought I'd struck gold until someone basically said that this ain't my doing after all.

I'm not currently familiar enough with the quick tactics to know what will/won't work for my teams. I'll try to look into this.
    Shutup wrote: »

Unless you want to grind out wins like a sweat bag sheep then just be chill with having fun with your teams :)

I appreciate the advice, it is about having fun at the end of the day. I just want to be as effective at playing the game as is possible. :)
    Learn to face up dribble(lt rt dribble). It will help you with controlling the tempo of the game and finding space. After that you should learn some of the basic skills. Learn the body feint, the ball roll and the fake shot.
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Look up a youtuber called BorasLegend. He has the best tutorial videos, will improve your game.

Hopefully I'll learn all that and more through these videos, cheers guys. :)
  • BiGFOOT_BiLL
    67 posts Park Captain
    One other quick question:

I've been using Basic chem cards for a while now.

I assume that if you use other chem types then while you're getting a boost to certain stats you're missing out in other areas?
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    Yes that's why you are being shoved off the ball. Every time you are in possession, receiving the ball or tackling press L2 and it will hold the player off
  • Enigma8784
    1823 posts Play-Off Hero
    Check out boraslegend on YouTube he keeps things simple and explains things clearly. Best of luck bud
  • SanderFC
    2979 posts National Call-Up

I assume that if you use other chem types then while you're getting a boost to certain stats you're missing out in other areas?

For midfielders it is no problem, but with especially wingbacks you need pace. Walker doesn't need a pace upgrade, but (unless you use TOTS Dickenson) your english LB certainly needs shadow or at least anchor.

DON'T

I've already done some of the teams unfortunately, How much is TOTS Kane compared to the version I'm working towards?
    Why is a hybrid team better than one nation btw? (Assuming they're the same team rating)

The SBC costs around 215k on ps4 and 240k on xbox, you can buy the TOTS Kane for under 190k

One nation limits you hugely, for example the english centerbacks have only really TOTS Keane and Smalling as really good options, but I assume you don't use TOTS Keane if you only have a 82 squad. The Smalling-Bailly partnership is better and cheaper than any full english partnership possible. There are better options for wingers in the PL than the english ones.

Especially that basically all the good english players are already in the PL, why limit yourself to one nation instead of the whole league?

Also the team rating doesn't really matter; Smalling is far superior to 84 Terry, while they both have the same rating. If you let people who play fut choose between 81 Kante, 88 Kroos, 88 Iniesta and 89 Ozil for their squad, most people will choose Kante
  • BiGFOOT_BiLL
    67 posts Park Captain
    Yes that's why you are being shoved off the ball. Every time you are in possession, receiving the ball or tackling press L2 and it will hold the player off
    Check out boraslegend on YouTube he keeps things simple and explains things clearly. Best of luck bud

Nice one, thanks Enigma.

For midfielders it is no problem, but with especially wingbacks you need pace. Walker doesn't need a pace upgrade, but (unless you use TOTS Dickenson) your english LB certainly needs shadow or at least anchor.

I'll keep that in mind when it comes to the full backs/wingbacks.

I assume the most even boost to a players stats as a whole is the basic card?

DON'T

The SBC costs around 215k on ps4 and 240k on xbox, you can buy the TOTS Kane for under 190k

One nation limits you hugely, for example the english centerbacks have only really TOTS Keane and Smalling as really good options, but I assume you don't use TOTS Keane if you only have a 82 squad. The Smalling-Bailly partnership is better and cheaper than any full english partnership possible. There are better options for wingers in the PL than the english ones.

Especially that basically all the good english players are already in the PL, why limit yourself to one nation instead of the whole league?

Also the team rating doesn't really matter; Smalling is far superior to 84 Terry, while they both have the same rating. If you let people who play fut choose between 81 Kante, 88 Kroos, 88 Iniesta and 89 Ozil for their squad, most people will choose Kante

The main reason I thought a single nation was a good idea was the chemistry. (I generally have 10 chem for all players with no manager)
    I'll keep what you said in mind about having all the players from the same league instead of the same nation.
  • TheRealMadGamer
    1920 posts Fans' Favourite
    @Icosa_Gaming what do you have to say?
  • Icosa_Gaming
    6803 posts Big Money Move
    @Icosa_Gaming what do you have to say?

git bad B)