SPFL/Scottish Lounge - Chemistry Draft

Comments

• SC1967
    10739 posts Has That Special Something
  • SC1967
    Hibee wrote: »
    @SC1967 There is a video on YouTube of Napoli beating the great Milan team 4-1. Maradona controls everything in the game. He literally takes the ball from the keeper and dictates play.

I'll give it a watch.

Going to watch a lot of old games to see some players who were before my time. Watching Beckenbauer in that World Cup final was great. Spraying passes about everywhere from the back.
  • Hibee
    12177 posts Has That Special Something
    Sorry, tagged wrong guys. Is it 2picks at bottom and then work back up words as per usual?
  • Hibee
    SC1967 wrote: »
    @SC1967 There is a video on YouTube of Napoli beating the great Milan team 4-1. Maradona controls everything in the game. He literally takes the ball from the keeper and dictates play.

I'll give it a watch.

Going to watch a lot of old games to see some players who were before my time. Watching Beckenbauer in that World Cup final was great. Spraying passes about everywhere from the back.

Iv watched loads of old games myself. I like watching old Liverpool games from late 70s early 80s. To see just how World Class Dalglish was. The best player in the best team in Europe at the time!
  • SC1967
    Sorry, tagged wrong guys. Is it 2picks at bottom and then work back up words as per usual?

Correct.
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17256 posts World Class
    edited July 2017
    Is that Cristiano or "Fat" Ronaldo that's been taken already?
  • fergoosee
    12275 posts Has That Special Something

fat one, can tell by the choices of league/club/nation, cristiano doesnt fit into any of theirs
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17256 posts World Class
    fergoosee wrote: »

fat one, can tell by the choices of league/club/nation, cristiano doesnt fit into any of theirs

Ah baws i was looking at the ones above them :D

• SC1967
    edited July 2017
    1. Claret_n_blue_blood & zl Gshock (EPL, Barcelona, Italy) - Diego Maradona

2. chaz & jamle1874 (Serie A, Borussia Dortmund, England) - Paolo Maldini

3. Lisbon67 & SC1967 (Bundesliga, AC Milan, Spain) - Franz Beckenbauer

4. fergoosee & xGeorgeSmithx (La Liga, Manchester United, Netherlands) - Lionel Messi

5. Selgarr & TheGreenMachine (EPL, Real Madrid, France) - Zinedine Zidane

6. Dairee & Mik (Serie A, Liverpool, Germany) - Ronaldo

7. Hibee & AnDrEwThEdOn (Bundesliga, Juventus, Brazil) - Michel Platini

8. MarioMonk & DanSmith89 (La Liga, Bayern Munich, Argentina)
  • xGeorgeSmithx
    5696 posts Big Money Move
    messi

0aff28930a87f7274bf8b57fdb30a6f3--barcelona-team-barcelona-catalonia.jpg

Notable Honours:
    La Liga = 8
    Champions League = 4
    Ballon d'Or = 5
  • fergoosee
    messi

Notable Honours:
    La Liga = 8
    Champions League = 4
    Ballon d'Or = 5

also top scorer in la liga, all time barcelona and all time argentina
  • xGeorgeSmithx
    messi

Notable Honours:
    La Liga = 8
    Champions League = 4
    Ballon d'Or = 5

I just done the trophies and main individual award otherwise I would have been there a while doing all his records!
  • fergoosee
    messi

Notable Honours:
    La Liga = 8
    Champions League = 4
    Ballon d'Or = 5

I just done the trophies and main individual award otherwise I would have been there a while doing all his records!

would have to write a book on it
  • Hibee
    Messi incredible player. No World Cup though. Can you truly be the greatest of all time if you haven't won the World Cup (in a national team full of superstars).
  • SC1967
    edited July 2017
    We could, in some cases, do what we did in the last draft and skip over people as long as your pick doesn't match any of there categories.

@Hibee @AnDrEwThEdOn could your next pick be taken by Dan and MarioMonk?
  • SC1967
    Messi incredible player. No World Cup though. Can you truly be the greatest of all time if you haven't won the World Cup (in a national team full of superstars).

Yes.

Personally I find that reasoning ridiculous.
  • Hibee

Yes.

It's a debate. Certainly don't think it's rediculous. It's going to be brought up more after he retires as he will be compaired to Maradona and Pele.

One thing is for sure, Argentinans see Maradona as the greatest, not Messi.
  • fergoosee

could have won it if his team were truely superstars and actually took their chances
  • SC1967

Yes.

It's a debate. Certainly don't think it's rediculous. It's going to be brought up more after he retires as he will be compaired to Maradona and Pele.

One thing is for sure, Argentinans see Maradona as the greatest, not Messi.

This is a list of the records Messi holds. It's in a spoiler because it's such an exhaustive list.
    World

Most (FIFA) Ballons d'Or: 5 (2009–12, 2015)[487]
    Most consecutive Ballons d'Or: 4[488]
    Youngest two-time and three-time Ballon d'Or winner: 23 and 24 years old[488]
    Top goalscorer in the history of FIFA Club World Cup: 5 goals (shared with César Delgado, Luis Suárez and Cristiano Ronaldo)[489][490]
    Guinness World Record as top goalscorer for club and country in a calendar year: 91 goals in 2012[135]
    Top goalscorer in all club competitions in a calendar year: 79 goals in 2012[133]
    Top goalscorer in a club season: 73 goals in 2011–12[491]
    Longest goalscoring run in a domestic league: 21 matches, 33 goals in 2012–13[149][148]
    Only player to have won more than one FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball[448]
    Only player to have won more than one FIFA Club World Cup Final Most Valuable Player award[448]
    Most appearances in the FIFPro World XI: 10 times (2007–2016) (shared with Cristiano Ronaldo)[492]
    Continental
    Most goals in a European Cup/Champions League game: 5 goals (shared with 13 other players)[493][494]
    Most European Golden Shoe awards: 4 (shared with Cristiano Ronaldo)
    Only player to be top goalscorer in four consecutive UEFA Champions League seasons[273]
    Most hat-tricks scored in the UEFA Champions League: 7 (shared with Cristiano Ronaldo)[citation needed]
    Youngest player to make 100 appearances in the UEFA Champions League: 28 years, 84 days in 2015[495]
    Most UEFA Best Player in Europe and UEFA Club Footballer of the Year awards: 3 (2009, 2011, 2015) (shared with Cristiano Ronaldo)[192][496]
    Top goalscorer in the UEFA Super Cup: 3 goals (shared with Arie Haan, Oleg Blokhin, Gerd Müller, Rob Rensenbrink, François Van der Elst, Terry McDermott, and Radamel Falcao)[497]
    Most appearances in the ESM Team of the Year: 10
    Top assist provider in Copa América: 11 assists[498]

Spain
    Most Best Player in La Liga awards: 6 (2009–13, 2015)[499]
    Top goalscorer in La Liga: 349 goals[500]
    Top assist provider in La Liga: 137 assists[note 5][181][182]
    Top goalscorer in the Supercopa de España: 12 goals[273]
    Top goalscorer in a La Liga season: 50 goals in 2011–12[501]
    Most braces scored in La Liga: 101[502]
    Most hat-tricks scored in a La Liga season: 8 in 2011–12 (shared with Cristiano Ronaldo)[273]
    Most teams scored against in a season: 19 in 2012–13 (shared with Ronaldo and Cristiano Ronaldo)[citation needed]
    Only player to score consecutively against all opposition teams in La Liga: 19 matches, 30 goals in 2012–13[142]
    First player to reach 300 La Liga goals[503]
    Youngest player to score 200 goals in La Liga: 25 years and 7 months in January 2013[504]

Argentina
    Argentina all-time top goalscorer: 58 goals[505][506][507]
    Top goalscorer for Argentina in a calendar year: 12 goals in 2012 (shared with Gabriel Batistuta)[273]
    Only Argentina player to score against every CONMEBOL nation[508]
    Youngest player to play for Argentina in a FIFA World Cup: 18 years, 357 days in 2006[243]
    Youngest player to score for Argentina in a FIFA World Cup: 18 years, 357 days in 2006[243]
    Youngest player to reach 100 caps for a country under CONMEBOL's jurisdiction: 27 years, 361 days in 2015[509]

Barcelona
    Top goalscorer in El Clásico: 23 goals[citation needed]
    Top goalscorer in the Derbi barceloní: 17 goals[citation needed]
    Top goalscorer in official competitions: 507 goals[510]
    Top goalscorer including friendlies: 539 goals[510]
    Top goalscorer in the UEFA Champions League: 94 goals[510]
    Top goalscorer in European competitions: 97 goals[510]
    Top goalscorer in International competitions: 102[510]
    Most hat-tricks scored in all competitions: 37[510]
    Most hat-tricks scored in La Liga: 26[510]
    First player to be top goalscorer in three La Liga seasons (2009–10, 2011–12, 2012–13)[510]
    Most titles won with the team: 30 (shared with Andrés Iniesta)[510]

I don't think he needs to win a World Cup to cement himself as the best ever. Argentinian's may think Maradona is the best of all time because he won a WC with them. Nowadays the Champions League is a much higher level than the World Cup.
  • Hibee

could have won it if his team were truely superstars and actually took their chances

Maradona' Argentina didn't have any superstars really in 86. He dragged them to that cup. That's my point. Messi hasn't done this, in a better team probably.
  • xGeorgeSmithx
    edited July 2017

Not having a World Cup holds him back that's a ceartin but he smashes Maradonas honours and records bar the World Cup.

Also your Napoli and Espanyol comparison is outrageous. Napoli still had a lot of good players around Maradona when they won the league. Several Italian Internationals were also in the side!

I ain't going to argue/debate who's the best. It all comes down to the opinion of a person! I respect your opinion, Maradona was a outstanding footballer and is ceartinly one of the best.
  • SC1967
    Holding the fact that Messi has never won a World Cup against him when it comes to who is the GOAT is just weird. Messi can't account for Higuain missing a one on one which would have won the them tournament.

Anyway, let's try to get back on topic!

Hibee and Andy, are you able to pick your next player or can he be taken by Dan and Mario?
  • Hibee

Not having a World Cup holds him back that's a ceartin but he smashes Maradonas honours and records bar the World Cup.

Also your Napoli and Espanyol comparison is outrageous. Napoli still had a lot of good players around Maradona when they won the league. Several Italian Internationals were also in the side!

I ain't going to argue who's the best. It all comes down to the opinion of a person! I respect your opinion, Maradona was a outstanding footballer and is ceartinly one of the best.

Iv seen Espanyol live in a UEFA cup final. Napoli hadn't done that before Maradona. I picked a Spanish team that had never won a title before. So I stick by that being a good comparison.

Anyway, my point is I'm not convinced Messi could go to such a lesser team and win the league. Something we will never find out though.
  • fergoosee

I ain't going to argue who's the best. It all comes down to the opinion of a person! I respect your opinion, Maradona was a outstanding footballer and is ceartinly one of the best.

Iv seen Espanyol live in a UEFA cup final. Napoli hadn't done that before Maradona. I picked a Spanish team that had never won a title before. So I stick by that being a good comparison.

Anyway, my point is I'm not convinced Messi could go to such a lesser team and win the league. Something we will never find out though.

the lesser teams werent as bad back then as they are now. the money factor has moved all the best players to all the top teams
  • SC1967

Come on you two.
  • Hibee

the lesser teams werent as bad back then as they are now. the money factor has moved all the best players to all the top teams

Well that's probably true. But that Milan team were still miles ahead of most other in the world at the time.
  • Selgarr
    995 posts Professional

Come on you two.

What's the time limit? 7.44pm?
  • SC1967
    Selgarr wrote: »

Come on you two.

What's the time limit? 7.44pm?

Yeah but they should be posting it soon.
  • fergoosee

Well that's probably true. But that Milan team were still miles ahead of most other in the world at the time.

ye they were, came 5th that season though
  • Hibee

ye they were, came 5th that season though

True but Napoli also won it in 89 and Milan came second. Milan won the European Cup that year.