TotS Higuain = Most disappointing card I have used in history of FIFA

Liam W
2576 posts Fans' Favourite
In the last week of TotS price dropped super low so I decided to pull the trigger and buy more or less my final teams. I bought TotS Lewandowski into my Bundesliga side to replace Movember Hahn and in my other squad, out went Lucas Vasquez, Morata, Modric, Khedira and SIF Brozovic, in went TotS Hamsik, Higuain, Khedira, Nainggolan and Birthday Candreva.

So considering the massive upgrade to my squad I was excited to try it out and expecting to score tons of goals. I gave Higuain engine to improve his balance which should leave me with a striker with 96 pace, 99 strength/dribbling/ball control/reactions, 97 jumping (+184 CM) and nearly max out stats for all shooting. In other words, he should be nearly unstoppable.

But when I use him he played nothing like his stats suggested he would. His current record for me is 29 goals in 60 matches (I presume around 15 assists) which is pretty similar ratio to Morata had for me despite a) having infinitely better stats and b) being surrounded by much better players.

I can't really put my finger on why he has been so bad but there's no way he plays like a 98 rated player. He doesn't feel anything like 96 pace/99 dribbling. I have never managed to strip a defender for pace with him and yet other players I use with similar pace like OTW Dembele just glide past opponents. He doesn't make runs at all, he always plays like he is trying to man mark my opponent's CBs (even when I use get in behind/press back line)! I can't through ball him because he never gets in behind the defenders and whilst I can play it in to his feet (his first touch is excellent) against really good opponents he just gets insta tackled from behind.

He only scored a couple of headers for me in those games whilst Hamsik scored 7 or 8 despite playing as CAM. It wasn't like he wasn't able to win the headers, he just never got into a position where a cross was likely to go. His finishing wasn't anything special either, he missed lots of really good opportunities and I don't recall scoring a single goal and thinking Morata couldn't have done that.

His passing was genuinely good also (but then his passing stats suggest he should pass like Pirlo!) but the most broken thing about was how easy he was to push off the ball. He has 99 strength apparently, but players like Mario Rui would just run into him from behind, and even if I was shielding, just breeze him off the ball. I can honestly say he never had one moment that made me think 'woah that strength tho!' when even Morata gave me those moments! His aggression is a bit pants, but Morata has even worse.

I guess the fact that nobody uses Higuain really should have been warning of me not to try because every year he has great stats and never gets used. But I can honestly say I have never seen such a disconnect between a players stats and his performances IG. I wasn't using him any differently to how I use any other player but he just wouldn't really do anything. Any ST will score a goal every other game if the player using them is semi-competent and they are surrounded by great players. But Alvaro Morata NIF genuinely performed better for me and he had Lucas Vasquez to provide him service.

There are some wonderful TotS cards out there, but he is most definitely not one of them. Would be interested if other players have had same problems with him (or older versions).

Comments

• Claret_n_blue_blood
    14672 posts World Class
    I have the sbc version and cannot get to grips with him, icardi tho I love.
    Icardi tots immobile is lush
  • TubAShet
    1400 posts Professional
    The 93 is a well known monster card, for the price either you won't be disappointed.

Also, small disclaimer - chem styles don't actually make players play with the stat boosts they show.

Would be nice to think that - but they don't. That leaves you with the base stats (which, yes - should make him play like a bull in a chinashop still)
  • Liam W
    TubAShet wrote: »
    The 93 is a well known monster card, for the price either you won't be disappointed.

Also, small disclaimer - chem styles don't actually make players play with the stat boosts they show.

Would be nice to think that - but they don't. That leaves you with the base stats (which, yes - should make him play like a bull in a chinashop still)

I'm honestly not sure on this one. I do think they make a difference although I'm 100% convinced not like they say on FUTHEAD. When I play against teams with poor chemistry I usually always win (unlike previous years) but don't tell me that if you give a 84 pace player catalyst they have 96 pace, because I don't believe it.

But as you say, even if the chemistry had no effect he should still be more or less invincible! So many of his stats are maxed out anyway that the chemistry style couldn't make much difference anyway.
  • Nogin182
    2294 posts Fans' Favourite
    Strange, my tots higgy has 30 goals and 9 assists in 28 games.
  • TubAShet
    1400 posts Professional
    edited July 2017
    Liam W wrote: »
    TubAShet wrote: »

I'm honestly not sure on this one. I do think they make a difference although I'm 100% convinced not like they say on FUTHEAD. When I play against teams with poor chemistry I usually always win (unlike previous years) but don't tell me that if you give a 84 pace player catalyst they have 96 pace, because I don't believe it.

But as you say, even if the chemistry had no effect he should still be more or less invincible! So many of his stats are maxed out anyway that the chemistry style couldn't make much difference anyway.

There's a very thorough test on youtube - was posted within this forum.

This guy tests out the same players on different chem styles and individual chemistry - and sets up a sprint that he compares on screen with the other variations.

He uses Lallana in it - the difference between a full chem basic chem and a full chem catalyst is about half a stride (if that...its a close close race). The 0 chem version always loses but again, only by a small small margin.

I think the small increases to skill stats are the noticeable gains, pace doesn't seem to change much at all.
  • Liam W
    Nogin182 wrote: »

But what is this in? Div 1, WL? What formation? How does it compare to other players you use?
  • Icosa_Gaming
    6803 posts Big Money Move
    edited July 2017
    he's slow,clunky and lacks the 4* skills. not what you want in fifa
  • Aidennes
    476 posts Sunday League Hero
    I play with 93 Higuain and he is a monster - I play 4-3-3(4) with 87 Gomez in CAM, Hig's stats are a 41 games 24 goals & 28 assists. It's my CAM Gomez who has the 1:1 ratio.
  • Liam W

You say he's slow and clunky but he has 89 pace (96 with chem style) and 80+ balance/90+ agility with chemistry style. So he actually rapid AF and should turn on a sixpence. I don't really do skills so that's not an issue.
  • Icosa_Gaming
    6803 posts Big Money Move

You say he's slow and clunky but he has 89 pace (96 with chem style) and 80+ balance/90+ agility with chemistry style. So he actually rapid AF and should turn on a sixpence. I don't really do skills so that's not an issue.

I'll tell you how to find a good striker. Just answer a question. How good will he be against Smalldini? Question answered
  • Ker_Mit
    5935 posts Big Money Move
    You expect too much.

Just because you got a way better striker now than before (Morata isnt even THAT bad in Fifa) doesnt mean that you somehow score double the goals.
    Its still you behind the controller.

Hence most people always finish about the same in WL, no matter if they use a 5 mil team or a 500k team.

User input > team by a very large margin

• Liam W
    Ker_Mit wrote: »
    You expect too much.

Just because you got a way better striker now than before (Morata isnt even THAT bad in Fifa) doesnt mean that you somehow score double the goals.

Hence most people always finish about the same in WL, no matter if they use a 5 mil team or a 500k team.

But we're not talking double the goals. We're talking 33% less? Despite being better by some distance in literally every stat.
  • Ker_Mit
    5935 posts Big Money Move
    Ker_Mit wrote: »
    You expect too much.

But we're not talking double the goals. We're talking 33% less? Despite being better by some distance in literally every stat.

You have a very small sample size.
    Plus many opponents make a bigger effort/stay defensive against super teams.

• Nogin182
    2294 posts Fans' Favourite

But what is this in? Div 1, WL? What formation? How does it compare to other players you use?

Div one

Div one, wl. 4231. Using engine chem. He's good. I like a bigger type St in the 4231. He seems better then 95 Lewa. I think he plays to his cards stats. He's no dybala who I have at CAM. But dybala has more agility and balance. And honestly I think they are fast as each other. Dybala just feels more nippy because of his height and other stats. Higuain is consistent for me, why I enjoy using him.
  • Reecey12383
    50 posts Park Captain
    Sell him and get tots Gomez from Atlanta 99+ pace! He's a clinical finisher aswell
  • Mattheos
    1353 posts Professional
    I feel the opposite about him, he's been good for me.
    It's TOTS Aubameyang who disappoints me the most.
  • rankon.
    1951 posts Fans' Favourite
    ive lost so many coins on tax because of underperforming TOTS cards like this.
  • Bicali
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I've never liked him on any Fifa he's far too clunky, try Belotti out he's been the best ST out of Serie A
  • Nervous_Nick
    5289 posts Big Money Move
    Never liked any Higuain card....
  • Currieman
    4953 posts National Call-Up
    Some cards are just broken and don't play anywhere near as good as their stats suggest. And vice versa (Butland).

Cut your losses and sell him.
  • finsfan85
    12443 posts Has That Special Something
    I use SBC Higuain and love him.
  • iNero
    797 posts Semi-Pro
    edited July 2017
    Tots higuain outperformed Tots dybala for me he's a beast
  • WallOfTrump
    585 posts Sunday League Hero
    I disagree with your review. 0acked higuan tots untraceable and love him.
    Already used sbc version. Easily feel the difference. One on one he gets behind most the time and has the strength to not get knocked off.

I packed icardi tots weeks later in the upgrade sbc. Love that card. Dropped higuain to cf at cam icardi up top 433(4).

They have been unreal. They can make shots from anywhere with the slightest space. Hold people off, get in behind, and literally unstoppable in the air. Granted I'm pretty good with headers to begin with, but with them I'd say I finish at least 1-2 crosses a game on average.

Higuan is at 100 or so games with 77 goals. All d3-1 and wl. Prb 15-20 of those were sub on games too.
    I'm decent gold 2-3. But they've kept me in games I should be out.

All that said, if you can deal with 2 star skill at striker icardi is a steal. 4*wf is way more important to me a striker. But that's just me.
  • Dazza3113
    3224 posts National Call-Up
    Really? TOTS Higuain is one of the most impressive cards on FUT for me, he was absolutely leathel
  • JohnDoe
    11300 posts Has That Special Something
    Already used sbc version. Easily feel the difference. One on one he gets behind most the time and has the strength to not get knocked off.

I packed icardi tots weeks later in the upgrade sbc. Love that card. Dropped higuain to cf at cam icardi up top 433(4).

They have been unreal. They can make shots from anywhere with the slightest space. Hold people off, get in behind, and literally unstoppable in the air. Granted I'm pretty good with headers to begin with, but with them I'd say I finish at least 1-2 crosses a game on average.

Higuan is at 100 or so games with 77 goals. All d3-1 and wl. Prb 15-20 of those were sub on games too.

All that said, if you can deal with 2 star skill at striker icardi is a steal. 4*wf is way more important to me a striker. But that's just me.

Hmmm. I have to get myself one of those 0acked Higuan TOTS untraceables, then.
  • TWS001
    2214 posts Fans' Favourite
    I much prefer my strikers with a bit of presence. Love Ibra, SBC Lewandowski will soon become my leading scorer in Fifa 17. Normally get loads of goals out of the likes of Benteke, Mandzuckic ect at the start of FIFA's.
    For some reason I can never do it with Higuian. On any FIFA. Ever.
    Often seems invisible for me. Can never finish chances he should be scoring. Managed to get about 30 goals out of his SBC card a while back in nearly 60 games. He has flashes of brilliance and the occasional game where he destroys the opponent with laser guided finishes but no consistency for me at all.

Although saying that, used him yesterday for the first time in ages and he hit eight goals in three games........
  • Liam W
    TWS001 wrote: »
    I much prefer my strikers with a bit of presence. Love Ibra, SBC Lewandowski will soon become my leading scorer in Fifa 17. Normally get loads of goals out of the likes of Benteke, Mandzuckic ect at the start of FIFA's.
    For some reason I can never do it with Higuian. On any FIFA. Ever.
    Often seems invisible for me. Can never finish chances he should be scoring. Managed to get about 30 goals out of his SBC card a while back in nearly 60 games. He has flashes of brilliance and the occasional game where he destroys the opponent with laser guided finishes but no consistency for me at all.

Although saying that, used him yesterday for the first time in ages and he hit eight goals in three games........

This is exactly how I feel. And I agree, every year you look at him and think 'must be worth a try' and every year he is nowhere near the effectiveness of lower rated, more popular players. TotS Lewandowski has such similar stats yet plays so much better for me.
  • WallOfTrump
    585 posts Sunday League Hero
    JohnDoe wrote: »

JohnDoe wrote: »

Or you can just type from your iPhone and not proof read. Tomato tomato.
  • He killed my opponents) True, he's so inconspicuous ... he looks like Jonas. I can imagine that his TOTS card is magic) but I now have other plans for Seria A)

6wVwQI4W.png
  • PelzyWelzy
    9480 posts League Winner
    142 goals in 26 matches for me... all div 1 and FUT Champs :trollface: