The Football Manager Lounge

Comments

• Bluemoon
    15710 posts World Class
    Ash wrote: »
    you're all ruining Italy for me and that's where I wanted to end up after the Limerick massive

The home of calcio can never be ruined, there's so many options
  • Richie
    2636 posts Fans' Favourite
    fc5f7ca3221eddcaba25de749090bc7d.png

Looks like I'm staying in the Championship for another season :grimace:

Pleased on the one hand as my squad is no where near good enough to avoid relegation :joy:

Time to shift some of the older players like Lambert and Whitts who are on 30k and 20k each, although Lambert was the 4th top goal scorer
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    Anyone mind giving some tips to someone who hasn't played this game peoperly since around 2012?
  • chokosc
    2869 posts Fans' Favourite
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    Anyone mind giving some tips to someone who hasn't played this game peoperly since around 2012?

4231 or 41221 will do for a start. I hate playing the same formations all the time so I try mixing it up in the second season!
  • Mart
    8161 posts League Winner
    chokosc wrote: »

4231 or 41221 will do for a start. I hate playing the same formations all the time so I try mixing it up in the second season!

4231 is a cunt to get right this year, if you ask me.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class

Choosing formation is the easy part I think, how do I make it work properly?
  • Mart
    8161 posts League Winner

It's not as simple as that anymore. Tactics used to be very universal but less so now.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    Mart wrote: »

It's not as simple as that anymore. Tactics used to be very universal but less so now.

Yeah I noticed that.

Do you try to match your formation with your opponent or find something that works (or should work) and stick with it?
  • Mart
    8161 posts League Winner

Yeah I noticed that.

Do you try to match your formation with your opponent or find something that works (or should work) and stick with it?

I don't like to change too much as I feel tactical familiarity is hugely important. Plus I prefer playing to my team's strengths rather than opponents' weaknesses.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    Thanks. Started a game with Fiorentina and beat Roma 4-1 in the first game and thought "wow it isn't as hard as I thought" only to win 2 of my next 11 games including a loss to Rapid Vienna before starting over somewhere else. I keep trying different tactics which could be one of my problems
  • Mart
    8161 posts League Winner
    edited July 2017
    Thanks. Started a game with Fiorentina and beat Roma 4-1 in the first game and thought "wow it isn't as hard as I thought" only to win 2 of my next 11 games including a loss to Rapid Vienna before starting over somewhere else. I keep trying different tactics which could be one of my problems

Depending on your reputation (mainly) and squad strength relative to the opposition (secondarily), teams may choose to sit deep which is when things can become tricky. Roma inevitably didn't do this, giving you space to attack into, which is common in the first season with a mid-table team.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class

Depending on your reputation (mainly) and squad strength relative to the opposition (secondarily), teams may choose to sit deep which is when things can become tricky. Roma inevitably didn't do this, giving you space to attack into, which is common in the first season with a mid-table team.

How do you counter that? I tried reading about the differences between Control/Counter etc. but I saw a lot of conflicting views about it
  • chokosc

How do you counter that? I tried reading about the differences between Control/Counter etc. but I saw a lot of conflicting views about it

They mean nothing really.

One thing I would love for FM18 would be the ability to tell your team how to shape up when attacking and also when defending. Would make it a lot more realistic. For example if you are Real Madrid, you could tell Marcelo and Carvajl to be wingers with Ronaldo going Central, Casemiro dropping to CB. But when defending you could shape it up as a 433 or whatever.
  • Mart
    8161 posts League Winner

That's because there's not one way to counter it, I quite struggle with it myself.

Generally people say playing wider at a higher tempo is one of the most common ways to break down a parked bus, but I haven't had huge success with it myself.
  • Mart
    8161 posts League Winner

They mean nothing really.

One thing I would love for FM18 would be the ability to tell your team how to shape up when attacking and also when defending. Would make it a lot more realistic. For example if you are Real Madrid, you could tell Marcelo and Carvajl to be wingers with Ronaldo going Central, Casemiro dropping to CB. But when defending you could shape it up as a 433 or whatever.

The formation you choose on the tactics screen is the shape in the defensive phase, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    #BringBackTheArrows
    violacrazy.jpg
  • Karlos
    24379 posts Club Captain
    Can you still use arrows on this one ?
  • Mart
    8161 posts League Winner
    De Ceglie - Fazio - Samba - Zaccardo.

Name a more iconic back line.
  • Robert
    21723 posts Club Captain
    De Ceglie - Fazio - Samba - Zaccardo.

Name a more iconic back line.
    Balzaretti and Zaccardo ultimate fullbacks.
  • chokosc
    Robert wrote: »
    #BringBackTheArrows
    violacrazy.jpg

OMG! Never understood why they took them off!
  • Handy Andy
    5927 posts Big Money Move
    Hakan isn't at Milan in the new pro update lads, just a heads up x
  • Karlos
    24379 posts Club Captain
    Thanks for letting us know @Handy Andy
  • Mart
    8161 posts League Winner
    Karlos wrote: »

Incredible negotiation tactics from Mino the pizza muncher.
  • IceIcePercy
    2551 posts Fans' Favourite
    Karlos wrote: »

Incredible negotiation tactics from Mino the pizza muncher.

100m Euro if they qualify for Champions League or 50m if they don't qualify apparently
  • REID_ARMY
    785 posts Semi-Pro
    The Indian League is so weird man. Why are there teams exempt from relegation, the league takes place all within 3 months and nothing happens for ages in the Summer/Autumn?
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    it's only like a year old tbf
  • Slawter
    4012 posts National Call-Up
    edited July 2017
    17a4d76708f9325871f0933f2bd993a6.jpg
    Illarramendi, make your mind up mate.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    Imagine losing 20m on the same player twice :joy:
  • Karlos