The English Football League Lounge 2016/17

Comments

• BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    Lard_Lad wrote: »
    I thought we wouldnt have to play them again, thats us out

Surely with how easy the Championship will be, an Oztumerless Walsall will be a breeze ;)
  • REID_ARMY
    785 posts Semi-Pro
    Millwall away, very nice, new ground and fairly close. Charlton drawn twice though???
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    REID_ARMY wrote: »
    Millwall away, very nice

Said no one, ever.
  • Marleigh
    2270 posts Fans' Favourite
    EFL Cup draw is going swimmingly

DCcRentXsAATunk.jpg

From the bbc twitter

Just to confirm OXFORD UNITED will play Cheltenham and Exeter City will play CHARLTON in the League Cup.

AFC Wimbledon will play Brentford and Norwich will play Swindon Town.
  • Lard_Lad
    12737 posts Has That Special Something
    BRISTOL86 wrote: »

Surely with how easy the Championship will be, an Oztumerless Walsall will be a breeze ;)

Yeah but they're our bogey team, the one team I didn't want to play against
  • WFCBagnall
    78779 posts Moderator

Yeah but they're our bogey team, the one team I didn't want to play against

>:)
  • REID_ARMY
    785 posts Semi-Pro
    REID_ARMY wrote: »
    Millwall away, very nice

Said no one, ever.

Loool get to see Moro play against us as well, got to tick off that 92. At least its not Ipswich, got them 2 years in a row
  • Juninho 10
    333 posts Sunday League Hero
    We aren't even in this round #tinpot
  • wheelerdeeler
    7366 posts Big Money Move
    Wycombe Away for the second time in three years. These Fixtures are going to try their best to annoy me this year, I can tell already.
  • Lard_Lad
    12737 posts Has That Special Something
    He ain't leaving, nothing to be worried about
  • Karlos
    24379 posts Club Captain
    Juninho 10 wrote: »

Can't all be huge clubs like you pal.
  • Bland Poobah
    1656 posts Play-Off Hero
    Would have preferred to get shitpool but a nice trip to little old Accy will do.
  • Juninho 10
    333 posts Sunday League Hero
    Karlos wrote: »
    Juninho 10 wrote: »

Can't all be huge clubs like you pal.

We're massive, huge, gigantic (in the Teesside area)
  • iHilarious
    13292 posts Has That Special Something
    At home to Cheltenham, should win, who's the Cheltenham fan again?
  • WFCBagnall
    78779 posts Moderator
    iHilarious wrote: »
    At home to Cheltenham, should win, who's the Cheltenham fan again?

@Rulistening
  • Sabo
    6818 posts Big Money Move
    UK_Cam wrote: »
    Apparently Hughes is close to a move to Watford for just £5 mil. Either someone stupidly agreed to a low release clause when he signed his new contract back in January or Rowett/Mel were drunk when they agreed to let him go

Possibly losing Ince and Hughes in the same window for under £15 million is hilarious :joy:

Seen a few people suggesting that the fee might be offset by money yet to change hands for the Anya and Vydra deals if that reassures you at all. Would make sense to get those instalments and/or clauses out of the way if that is indeed the case.
  • Hicksy2011
    16896 posts World Class
    Cardiff away in the cup meh
    Kind of ruined by the fact we have that exact fixture in the same stadium and everything as a preseason friendly 2 weeks before
  • Karlos
    24379 posts Club Captain
    Hicksy2011 wrote: »
    Cardiff away in the cup meh
    Kind of ruined by the fact we have that exact fixture in the same stadium and everything as a preseason friendly 2 weeks before

Our first friendly is at home to Sunderland.
  • TheonlywayisS6
    1934 posts Play-Off Hero
    At least we haven't got the usual pre-season friendly at Chesterfield this year to detract from the white hot Caribou Cup clash.
  • Dizzy Bala
    3838 posts National Call-Up
    Shrewsbury at Home, not exactly a glamour tie but it's another game to watch.
  • strings79
    2172 posts Fans' Favourite
    @UK_Cam how much do you think it will take for us to get ince ? Apparently we've bid £7.2 million and are going to come back with a bigger offer rumours our end that if next one is rejected ince will try to force a move like butterfield did when he left us to sign for you
  • UK_Cam
    1330 posts Professional
    Am I the only one who's never understood the fuss about Will Hughes? There are tens of players every season in the same position who outperform him.

He seems yet another example of a promising English player who keeps getting hyped but not really delivering much? Ok he's still young but with 150+ championship appearances he's not exactly inexperienced.

£5m isn't a lot for a premier league club I guess but you could replace/upgrade him with that money surely.

He's a player you need to see frequently to really see just how good he is. He isn't a great goalscorer unfortunately and he somehow doesn't get too many assists, but he's close to being the best player I've seen at Derby in my lifetime. Missed pretty much the whole of the 15/16 season through injury and last season we weren't exactly an attacking side so he's struggled, but you can still see just how good he is when we're actually trying to attack rather than play for 0-0 draws and scrappy 1-0 wins.
  • UK_Cam
    1330 posts Professional
    strings79 wrote: »
    @UK_Cam how much do you think it will take for us to get ince ? Apparently we've bid £7.2 million and are going to come back with a bigger offer rumours our end that if next one is rejected ince will try to force a move like butterfield did when he left us to sign for you

I reckon maybe £10 - £12 mil with a few add ons would do it. He carried us last season and when he's given a bit of freedom will score goals for fun. The one problem we've had with him is that he really struggles when the full back behind him is an attacking wing back like Christie.
  • UK_Cam
    1330 posts Professional
    Sabo wrote: »
    Apparently Hughes is close to a move to Watford for just £5 mil. Either someone stupidly agreed to a low release clause when he signed his new contract back in January or Rowett/Mel were drunk when they agreed to let him go

Possibly losing Ince and Hughes in the same window for under £15 million is hilarious :joy:

Seen a few people suggesting that the fee might be offset by money yet to change hands for the Anya and Vydra deals if that reassures you at all. Would make sense to get those instalments and/or clauses out of the way if that is indeed the case.

Yeah I've seen that, but it seems a bit silly that Mel who wants to please the fans so much would be willing to allow Hughes to leave for £5 million be the headline. Surely he could just sell him for £10 million + and then use part of that to pay back off the Anya and Vydra fees and keep fans happy knowing we got a reasonable fee. Unless doing it this way somehow avoids paying extra tax.
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    Am I the only one who's never understood the fuss about Will Hughes? There are tens of players every season in the same position who outperform him.

He seems yet another example of a promising English player who keeps getting hyped but not really delivering much? Ok he's still young but with 150+ championship appearances he's not exactly inexperienced.

£5m isn't a lot for a premier league club I guess but you could replace/upgrade him with that money surely.

He's a player you need to see frequently to really see just how good he is. He isn't a great goalscorer unfortunately and he somehow doesn't get too many assists, but he's close to being the best player I've seen at Derby in my lifetime. Missed pretty much the whole of the 15/16 season through injury and last season we weren't exactly an attacking side so he's struggled, but you can still see just how good he is when we're actually trying to attack rather than play for 0-0 draws and scrappy 1-0 wins.

Yeah to be fair I'm mostly just going off stats and the occasional Derby game I see on Sky. But he doesn't seem to really bring goals, or assists, and seems a fair way down the charts in terms of key passes or even pass completion...so what is it that he brings to the table? Something hard to quantify in stats?
  • UK_Cam
    1330 posts Professional

Yeah to be fair I'm mostly just going off stats and the occasional Derby game I see on Sky. But he doesn't seem to really bring goals, or assists, and seems a fair way down the charts in terms of key passes or even pass completion...so what is it that he brings to the table? Something hard to quantify in stats?

I don't like comparing Championship players to the world's best players because we've got too many of the 'next Henry' or the 'Turkish Messi' stuff @WFCBagnall ;) but I'd compare his play style to Xavi. He doesn't dominate the stats tables but he controls the tempo of the game. He's surprisingly good at tackling and has been used as a CDM regularly for us because of this and he always picks the right pass to get an attack started and not just the easy sideways ball. However, for as good as he is, I do think he'd struggle in a team like Watford if they're as poor offensively as they were last season.
  • Karlos
    24379 posts Club Captain
    #WillHughesRussia2018
  • Akinfenwaaaa
    4251 posts National Call-Up
    Stevenage at Home. Hope we use the first round to give the new boys and the youth a run out.

Harry Smith and Tom Elliott up front would be horrendous to deal with. 6'5, 6'3, we love to hoof it. Not to mention Morison coming off the bench.

Still waiting on us to confirm Jed Wallace, Leonard, Cooper, and a left-mid would be nice too as Ferguson isn't gong to cut it in the Championship, could barely hack League One.
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner

I don't like comparing Championship players to the world's best players because we've got too many of the 'next Henry' or the 'Turkish Messi' stuff @WFCBagnall ;) but I'd compare his play style to Xavi. He doesn't dominate the stats tables but he controls the tempo of the game. He's surprisingly good at tackling and has been used as a CDM regularly for us because of this and he always picks the right pass to get an attack started and not just the easy sideways ball. However, for as good as he is, I do think he'd struggle in a team like Watford if they're as poor offensively as they were last season.

Ah fair shout. I must admit I was amazed to see his is still just 22. Pushing 200 championship games at that age is impressive!
This discussion has been closed.