The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

EA CLOSED MY 12 YEAR OLD BOYS ACCOUNT, TOOK HIS £650 THAT HE SPENT ON IT AND WILL NOT SAY WHY!

Our son spent all his £650 Birthday and Christmas money on his Fifa 17 account by buying Fifa Point scratch cards from Amazon UK.

Then one day, out of nowhere, the account was closed.

When asked multiple times why they did it, EA Terms of Service would not say anything apart from stating the following ....

"After thoroughly investigating your account and concern, we found that we actioned your account correctly after it was found to have violated our Terms of Service. We will also be unable to provide any details regarding our internal procedures.

Due to this violation, we will not remove the sanction that was applied to your account.

You can review the full Terms of Service at http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/"

EA's Terms of Service is a long detailed list that covers many areas. They would not be specific in any way at all.

They have however got their pockets bulging with a 12 year old boys £650 Birthday and Christmas money that he spent on EA's Fifa Points on this Fifa 17 game. However, our son has now not got a single thing to show for it and all the money spent on this game and now disappeared!

Is this right that a software house should be allowed to take a 12 year old's Birthday and Christmas money and then not even explain their actions!

I know for a fact that our son never purchased or sold any coins on his Fifa 17 account. So my question is, what the hell did he do to deserve treatment like this!

I would strongly advise anyone who has children who play this game, not to spend their money on EA's Fifa Points because it can be taken from you in a flash with absolutely no explanation whatsoever.

Despicable EA doesn't even cover it!

Comments

• Layton8212
    1642 posts Play-Off Hero
    £650 on a game yikes, let the boy see the outdoors

• xJOE
    328 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'd advise that you have a word with yourself regarding the fact that you seem totally ok with your son spending £650 on something that will carry such little value over time and that is essentially pointless.

My dad would have gone off the rails if I told him that £650 he worked for was pissed away on virtual cards that mean so little.

That's more than I earn in a week working over 40 hours (I know I need a better paid job).
  • SACanuckinOz
    207 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    While I agree with the statements that there are much better ways to spend money on for a 12 year old (wow man, I limit my 12 year's playing time severely, and don't allow him to buy anything I don't vet first), the point here is that EA ripped you off, without good reason (that we know of).

I suggest you lodge a formal complaint via their feedback channels. The forum post will not get you any resolution, as I know they are not really maintaining a presence here
  • BLaZiNgSPEED
    404 posts Sunday League Hero
    Complete irrationality. £650 for a game of FIFA???

I remember between 2004-2007 I spent 3 years for a billiards game called Carrom 3D I spent money buying gold coins and played 20 thousand matches in those 3 years. I can go as far as to say that the game probably even affected my GCSE Exam results.

Now this same game is non-existent and the servers have been shut in 2013. I realized how wrong I was to put so much energy, emotion and dedication for a pool game. Now I realize how much valuable time I wasted, when there are so many other games to play and other activities to do besides that 1 video game.

You could spend a couple of hundred pounds for a few new other video games or build a new Gaming PC with that money. If you are a good parent, spend the rest of the money for school's revision books on Maths, English, Science. Take them out for outdoor activities. Kids these age are going through puberty. It is absolutely essential that during this growth period to make sure your children do enough regular exercise and not follow a sedentary life to reduce risks of childhood obesity.
  • Markiegj
    12 posts Ball Boy
    Lets try and answer the question instead of telling him how to be a parent.

It depends on how he spent his money as there might be something that you can do with the debit card company etc. Also, I would say that they have a duty to tell you what has happened as the lad is 12 and is not legally responsible yet. So you could also argue that.

Have you spoke to them online as they talk on there, I have found them useless most of the time as they seem to talk from a script, but I would still try. Failing that call them, I would also have a look at small claims as they have taken your money and without good reason taken the product away.
  • TeessideDan
    34 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Ridiculous waste of money, I don't think it makes sense to allow him to spend his money on something so pointless.

Now, you will need to pursue, pursue and pursue it, you can't let EA steal from you, I don't really understand how they can not tell you what the problem is when they have all that money in their pockets.

Hope it gets resolved, bad bad situation.
  • DSmith
    817 posts Semi-Pro
    What's it got to do with anyone else how his kid spends his money.

The value of money is viewed differently by us all. The OP could earn that a day for example and his son has spent a day of his earnings and that's it. If he earns that a month he clearly won't be letting his kid blow that amount on it. People don't say oh you shouldn't buy that BMW at x amount because you could buy a Fiesta for less and still arrive in the same destination and if they do it's usually because they can't afford it themselves.

With the rise of Esports the lad could be repaying his old man big time in a few years.

To the OP raise an official complaint with EA and good luck.

• BiigDee
    4527 posts National Call-Up
    Typical forum bashing again. The guy is seeking some sort of advise and he gets told how to be a parent. None of us know his personal life or financial affairs. He could have millions in the bank making £650 peanuts. He's prob had a lot of coins and given some to a mate who's been asking for them after all their kids and it happens. Maybe formed a tournament with friends and bought players for max price to move the prize funds. It could be many things so I think EA need to be more specific especially around what rule has been broken. If my boy had the money I'd let him spend it on what he wants. I teach him to save and he earns his own pocket money. We all different at the end of the day.
  • Hench
    54 posts Park Captain
    Doubt they are gunna close an account thats making them hundreds of pounds unless he's been up to something dodgy! Probs glitch quitting.
  • Jarvisrj3004
    111 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I think glitch quitting is not a proper behaviour. But to ban someone for doing this is to transfer the responsibility for the developers fault! Fix it!
  • Smudge
    4717 posts National Call-Up
    Complete irrationality. £650 for a game of FIFA???

I remember between 2004-2007 I spent 3 years for a billiards game called Carrom 3D I spent money buying gold coins and played 20 thousand matches in those 3 years. I can go as far as to say that the game probably even affected my GCSE Exam results.

Now this same game is non-existent and the servers have been shut in 2013. I realized how wrong I was to put so much energy, emotion and dedication for a pool game. Now I realize how much valuable time I wasted, when there are so many other games to play and other activities to do besides that 1 video game.

You could spend a couple of hundred pounds for a few new other video games or build a new Gaming PC with that money. If you are a good parent, spend the rest of the money for school's revision books on Maths, English, Science. Take them out for outdoor activities. Kids these age are going through puberty. It is absolutely essential that during this growth period to make sure your children do enough regular exercise and not follow a sedentary life to reduce risks of childhood obesity.

The kid is 12 years old he doesn't need revision books they barely have homework at that age. Let him spend his money however he deems fit
  • fluffymnuffy
    12771 posts Has That Special Something
    :D
  • thisisnibbles
    36 posts Last Pick at the Park
    i also have a problem with the extensive list and they dont tell u exactly what u have done wrong , i am having same problems currently ongoing , i can see why they say the ToS team doesnt have a phone number , easy to fob people off over an automated email.
  • Ggggoooopppp
    1188 posts Professional
    edited March 2017
    This terrible situation should be announced everywhere it's possible. All over internet and social networks. That pleople become aware of it and think twice before to pay to EA for useless (in general) in-game currency.

Also I'm pretty sure that no matter 12 years old boy spent more than $1000 and was banned or 35 years old man spent $100 and was banned. EA's customer support should explain their actions more clearly and it should be possible to demand explanations of their actions.
    They are not thieves, they are a big gaming corporation eventually. And should fit to this.
  • I think EA should email people who get banned from the game with more details!!! It doesn't make sense just banned people from the game without an explanation why they got banned!!!! Thankfully I don't play fut!! I played fut only for the trophies. I have noticed that everyone who spent money on the game got banned. I have seen many people complained about it.
    I'm not going to teach you how you going to rise your son. 650£ a lot which is $ 813.23. Do you think this amount of money worth to spent on a game??
  • No sympathy from me letting kids loose on FUT with that kind of cash.
  • hardvibes
    25 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited March 2017
    £650 for a game?? Seriously...........
  • Different people value £650 differently and how anyone chooses to spend their money is their choice and their choice alone. Everyone has different ideas on how to spend their spare cash depending on what interests and hobbies they have and they should be respected for those choices.

It's not the £650 we should be focusing on here, it's that fact that EA can just ban an account without giving any reason whatsoever and keep the money that was spent developing the account.

Maybe another thing we should also be focusing on is why a child would want to spend £650 on this game in the first place. Has anyone here seen how addictive opening these packs are for children.

Opening mystery packs with all the fireworks going off in the hope of getting great players which the children can then brag about to their friends and make video recordings of is extremely addictive for them.

I've heard of quite a few kids who not only spend all their money on opening these packs but also then sell every single player in their team on the transfer market to be able to open more packs.

I can come up with many similarities between opening these packs and scratch card gambling. However, in the UK you have to be 18 to gamble on scratch cards, where a child can gamble opening these packs in the hope of getting great players with no age limit imposed whatsoever.

Is opening these packs a form of gambling for kids in disguise?
  • andreens
    659 posts An Exciting Prospect
    No sympathy from me letting kids loose on FUT with that kind of cash.

That's exactly what he's looking there for.Your sympathies!
  • andreens wrote: »

Absolutely not. We do not give a stuff about the £650 because if we did, we would have never let him spend it on the game in the first place. What we do have a problem with is that EA can just switch an account off without explaining their actions in any way whatsoever.

The message being sent out from the EA Terms of Service is ....... WE ARE GOD AND WE DO WHAT WE WANT, WHEN WE WANT AND TO WHO WE WANT TO. WE DO NOT EXPLAIN OUR ACTIONS IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.

When we bought the game for him we never knew we were purchasing a game which could be switched off by the maker at any point without the maker even explaining their actions.
  • andreens
    659 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited March 2017
    andreens wrote: »

Absolutely not. We do not give a stuff about the £650 because if we did, we would have never let him spend it on the game in t9he first place. What we do have a problem with is that EA can just switch an account off without explaining their actions in any way whatsoever.

The message being sent out from the EA Terms of Service is ....... WE ARE GOD AND WE DO WHAT WE WANT, WHEN WE WANT AND TO WHO WE WANT TO. WE DO NOT EXPLAIN OUR ACTIONS IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.

When we bought the game for him we never knew we were purchasing a game which could be switched off by the maker at any point without the maker even explaining their actions.

Dude.I was sarcastic about his comment.I absolutely agree with you.EA are shameless thieves and all this FUT is massive scam.
  • andreens wrote: »

Absolutely not. We do not give a stuff about the £650 because if we did, we would have never let him spend it on the game in the first place. What we do have a problem with is that EA can just switch an account off without explaining their actions in any way whatsoever.

Your right to know why your kid got banned?
    Of course, EA won't give you any details about it.
    They should provide you details at least since the money is gone!!!!
  • Ggggoooopppp
    1188 posts Professional
    andreens wrote: »
    Dude.I was sarcastic about his comment.I absolutely agree with you.EA are shameless thieves and all this FUT is massive scam.

Endlessly agree with you! Waiting for another developer will decide to make a football game.
  • Marleigh
    2215 posts Fans' Favourite
    You've posted pretty much the exact same thing repeatedly and looking through your comments it varies whether it's you or your son that got banned

From one of your posts on the exact same subject
    I also got banned 3 weeks ago for no reason whatsoever!!

Spent over £600 on Fifa Points and spent way too many hours developing my team to then have it banned for no reason.

At the end of the day there is nothing who can do anything here. Changing your story repeatedly makes it look like you are being dishonest about something.
This discussion has been closed.