OT: Scottish Independence

IffyMoney
4027 posts National Call-Up
What are your thoughts?

Nicola Sturgeon wants another referendum, quite frankly because she didn't get the result she wanted in the first one.

To be fair though, if she wants scottish independence, she should let us English vote in the next one :trollface:

Comments

• EddieFicio
    21880 posts Club Captain
    Smelly **** scots, they ruined scotland. imo

:trollface:
  • coatsy
    32197 posts National Team Captain
    I think they should have another: being part of the EU was a vital factor in them staying.
  • Butters222
    128 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited March 2017
    Obligatory non-scot or english. I think they should have another vote. It was widely thought the UK would of voted remain and I'm pretty sure Scotland voted mostly remain while England didn't. I didn't think many people would have predicted that they would have left the EU. Definitely should get another shot at it knowing the full extent of the situation. I also read there's a lot of natural gas/oil in Scotland, they probably should have first dibs at that too. However, I'd imagine it would take a while for all the bureaucratic stuff to get done so it will probably be affected by the UK leaving the EU.
  • IffyMoney
    The thing is, the EU doesn't want Scotland.

That's the funny part.
  • PochBall
    17397 posts World Class
    coatsy2008 wrote: »
    I think they should have another: being part of the EU was a vital factor in them staying.

• IDARYL
    5684 posts Big Money Move
    Made me laugh in every interview the public were saying they wanted to leave, then when the voting starts they realise how much they can't live without the English handouts.
  • Jimmyb83
    842 posts Semi-Pro
    coatsy2008 wrote: »

That is nonsense. It was suggested as part of the manifesto that there was a possibility the U.K. could leave the European union.
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    edited March 2017
    Why are people talking like Britian has left the EU?
  • IffyMoney
    Peter wrote: »
    Why are people talking like England have left the EU?

Because they don't understand the concept of how the voting system worked....

If the whole of scotland voted remain, we wouldn't be leaving.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Rebuild the wall and cut them off.
  • Peter
    IffyMoney wrote: »

I just mean in terms of us still being in it.

We havnt gone anywhere :joy:
  • Cherriesfan
    1280 posts Professional
    edited March 2017
    This culture of ' we'll keep on repeating until we get the result we want' is getting tiresome.
  • PochBall
    17397 posts World Class
    edited March 2017
    Why are people so obsessed with keeping Scotland a part of Britain?

Everyone constantly abuses the scots and rips them, yet no one wants them to leave Britain and become independant. Funny.
  • Peter
    Why are people so obsessed with keeping Scotland a part of Britain?

Everyone constantly abuses the scots and rips them, yet no one wants them to leave Britain and become independant. Funny.

Oil.
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    Let them go, I read that if they were to go independent then they would need to raise taxes by 21% or cut public spending by 18%, and that was last year and oil prices have declined since them. Scotland is a burden.
  • Moiizer
    7051 posts Big Money Move
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    Rebuild the wall and cut them off.

I know a guy called Donald who can get that done. Let me get on the blower to him.
  • Jaxite
    22372 posts Club Captain
    Whatever happens let's just hope they go independent.
  • Cphee1987
    6181 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 2017

Might be you that doesn't understand the concept of how the voting system worked bud.......

Whole of Scotland did vote remain, but didn't matter as England still has majority. Here's the voting results map for Brexit. Yellow was areas at voted remain, blue areas voted leave

zCvxUrx.jpg

Also she has a right to want another referendum. If you knew anything about the first 1 the whole campaign for the NO vote was based around how if Scotland stayed as part of UK then UK WOULD stay part of the EU. So a large section of no voters voted simply on the promise of the UK being part of yhe EU. Now since that promise has been broken and was a deciding factor in alot of the votes them it's fair enough to then push for a 2nd Referendum.

Always best to research the topic first and why the events are happening before just making a stupid comment about how a 2nd Referendum is wanted just because she didn't get the correct result first time around. Also on that note the first referendum wasn't led by Nicola Sturgeon, that was by Alex Salmond
  • Arsenalfan97
    7752 posts League Winner
    By the time Scotland even gets a referendum we will have left the EU already May is gonna block it until 2019. There is no guarantee the EU will let them in either.
    Let them go, I read that if they were to go independent then they would need to raise taxes by 21% or cut public spending by 18%, and that was last year and oil prices have declined since them. Scotland is a burden.

Also this.

• GeezR81
    1106 posts Professional
    Jaxite wrote: »

This. Centralisation​ of power eg. EU is what you don't want. You give up things like Trust, Security, Transparancy, Identity and of course Control
  • Arron xox
    3038 posts National Call-Up
    Let em leave it will be one less country for us to carry
  • Arsenalfan97
    7752 posts League Winner
    GeezR81 wrote: »

This. Centralisation​ of power eg. EU is what you don't want. You give up things like Trust, Security, Transparancy, Identity and of course Control

Theresa mays little snooper charter actually got blocked by the EU so they ain't all bad.
  • GeezR81
    1106 posts Professional
    GeezR81 wrote: »

Theresa mays little snooper charter actually got blocked by the EU so they ain't all bad.

All for show m8 . I got an uncle works for MI5 they got multi underground levels packed full of snooping tech, your phone calls aren't safe, say the keyword and it's recorded. Have had for many many years.
  • Tof33z
    6885 posts Big Money Move

Yeah and everything you read is accurate. Bell end.

Ask yourself why the westminster establishment were **** themselves at the thought of Scottish independence? Absolutely **** themselves.

Hence the absolute trash like your so called facts coming out of everywhere, especially the BBC.

Ireland has no oil. Their economy is growing faster than anywhere in Europe. The oil thing is a complete fallacy.

And anyway it's not even about the money, never was. When you vote in zero tory mps but get a tory government you're just an annexe not a country. It's just a shame the people of Scotland bought the same lies that you did and bottled it
  • Jake
    14424 posts Has That Special Something
    Remember when Alex Salmond said the first IndyRef was a "once in a generation thing" :D
  • Cphee1987
    6181 posts Big Money Move
    edited March 2017
    Tof33z wrote: »

Yeah and everything you read is accurate. Bell end.

Ask yourself why the westminster establishment were **** themselves at the thought of Scottish independence? Absolutely **** themselves.

Hence the absolute trash like your so called facts coming out of everywhere, especially the BBC.

Ireland has no oil. Their economy is growing faster than anywhere in Europe. The oil thing is a complete fallacy.

And anyway it's not even about the money, never was. When you vote in zero tory mps but get a tory government you're just an annexe not a country. It's just a shame the people of Scotland bought the same lies that you did and bottled it

Also added to this if you see the factual figures then you see that Scotland actually contributes more to the UK than it receives back. The figures regularly get fudged by Westminster to show otherwise by adding in things that Scotland get charged for which they don't actually receive any benefits from
    Jake wrote: »
    Remember when Alex Salmond said the first IndyRef was a "once in a generation thing" :D

This would of likely been true tbf. Bit since the No campaign played heavily on the fact that if Scotland stayed the UK would remain in the EU and that alot of the No voters based their votes on this then it's fair enough to expect a revote as such to be pushed through. Can't just go changing the goalposts as and when you choose which is exactly what Westminster have done
  • IffyMoney
    edited March 2017
    Serious point - Why would the E.U even want Scotland?

Pretty sure when the Brexit referendum was in full swing Sturgeon sat and spoke with a few top E.U officials who said they would not be willing to accept Scotland into the E.U unless part of a United Kingdom.

The argument above about Ireland isn't relevant for two reasons:

1. The damage to the Irish economy has been far more severe than the UK over the past decade....largely due to the impact on the Euro.

2. Ireland's economy, in comparison to the UK and other EU powerhouses, is tiny. You wouldn't put £500,000 into a 2% interest account (Bank a) instead of a 5% interest account (Bank b), just because the year before Bank a was only offering a 1% interest rate and therefore has a higher rate of growth.

Final and most important point, regarding Scotland not having a Tory mp representing them....Your 'intelligent and wise' population decided to put into power the SNP due to their promise of a national referendum....the election was a complete landslide.....and then, you decided to vote against everything they represented and said no :D
  • Matt_Cornwall
    2976 posts National Call-Up
    I don't mind them having another vote, I just get fed up of hearing Sturgeon moan about it all the time.

There'll be the same problems as last time. If they leave will there be a hard border, do they have to adopt the euro etc. And unfortunately no one knows for sure, all these politicians (on both sides) just say what they hope will happen.
  • Tof33z
    6885 posts Big Money Move
    Serious point - Why would the E.U even want Scotland?

Pretty sure when the Brexit referendum was in full swing Sturgeon sat and spoke with a few top E.U officials who said they would not be willing to accept Scotland into the E.U unless part of a United Kingdom.

The argument above about Ireland isn't relevant for two reasons:

1. The damage to the Irish economy has been far more severe than the UK over the past decade....largely due to the impact on the Euro.

2. Ireland's economy, in comparison to the UK and other EU powerhouses, is tiny. You wouldn't put £500,000 into a 2% interest account (Bank a) instead of a 5% interest account (Bank b), just because the year before Bank a was only offering a 1% interest rate and therefore has a higher rate of growth.

Final and most important point, regarding Scotland not having a Tory mp representing them....Your 'intelligent and wise' population decided to put into power the SNP due to their promise of a national referendum....the election was a complete landslide.....and then, you decided to vote against everything they represented and said no :D

Seriously, if you know so little about something avoid debating it.

Firstly, re Scotland joining the EU, of course the bloody EU would say that. They wanted to avoid brexit duh. This was during the campaign. Switch your fecking brain on.

Ireland's economy is almost exactly the same as Scotland, with a smaller population. If you include oil, Scotland is about 10% higher. The difference the oil makes is modest,but it's all everyone talks about. The growth in the Irish economy over the past ten years massively outperforms the uk. Of course the crash was bad but absolutely nothing to do with the euro. No idea where you get that **** from. It originated in the US ffs.

What actually is important that the Irish people can vote for the government they want and hold them accountable. But like the original referendum, everyone gets stuck on the same moronic **** you just trotted out. Cos you know, actually learning the accurate facts Is a bit of a bore

• Bicali
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Voted No before but now I'll be gladly voting Yes for independence, don't see it getting the same support as before but hopefully I'm wrong!

Hopefully Ireland and Wales will follow suit when we leave.