best tactics to stop pace+through ball abusers?

RayS
27224 posts Player of the Year
I find that I have to use "balanced" in the attacking level and recently discovered that "offside trap" also helps a good bit. Maybe setting your back 4 to "aggressive interceptions" would also help?

Comments

• RayG
    1383 posts Professional
    Pick a CB, run for cover, and second man pressing.
  • pudgyfudgy
    5783 posts Big Money Move
    RayS and RayG... are you guys like the same person or something...

Anyway why do you call them "abusers"? If your opponent is easily running behind you and getting the ball to them, it doesn't mean they're abusing...
  • RayS
    pudgyfudgy wrote: »

Anyway why do you call them "abusers"? If your opponent is easily running behind you and getting the ball to them, it doesn't mean they're abusing...

He's the G Ray, I'm the S Ray.

I just mean people who's only gameplan the full 90 is to play through balls to Vardy, Musa, Rashford, etc to beat the back line with pace. I like to vary my game play a bit. Some possession, some wide play, and of course if I see a good through ball, ill mash that Y Button.
  • Angy
    2739 posts Fans' Favourite
    RayS wrote: »

I just mean people who's only gameplan the full 90 is to play through balls to Vardy, Musa, Rashford, etc to beat the back line with pace. I like to vary my game play a bit. Some possession, some wide play, and of course if I see a good through ball, ill mash that Y Button.

It's very easy against such players...just cover their runs with your cb...always be on the lookout.

Also beware...their alternate (and only other) plan will be to move to the wings and cut back. It's very easy to predict such players...unfortunately not getting such players in div 2 anymore :(
  • Capablanca
    2281 posts Fans' Favourite
    Angy wrote: »
    RayS wrote: »

It's very easy against such players...just cover their runs with your cb...always be on the lookout.

Also beware...their alternate (and only other) plan will be to move to the wings and cut back. It's very easy to predict such players...unfortunately not getting such players in div 2 anymore :(

So true, basically all the direct play
  • Dazza3113
    3224 posts National Call-Up
    Low pressure in CT and aggressive interceptions for your CMs

The low pressure will ensure the space behind your defence is minimal and the high aggression of your CMs will help stop the pass in the first place.. just ensure you have a couple of CMs on your bench as the high aggression will drastically impact stamina
  • joeboy88
    243 posts Sunday League Hero
    2 footed studs up tackle should work
  • Neal1982
    850 posts Semi-Pro
    Set your tactics to defensive at the start.
    And keep your RB and LB back.

I won with ten men against someone who chased the games against me, Dybala and Mertens had a field day on the break!
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    I'm someone who plays very direct football and you're best off just stacking the middle of the pitch with players.
  • RayG
    1383 posts Professional

Ahah no i'm no freaking american !! (joke)

I think he was referring to the people who only do this one thing during a game. Most of the time it doesn't work, but basically you only need it to go through once... The difficult thing is to stay focused for covering each time you lose the ball.
  • RayS
    RayG wrote: »

Ahah no i'm no freaking american !! (joke)

I think he was referring to the people who only do this one thing during a game. Most of the time it doesn't work, but basically you only need it to go through once... The difficult thing is to stay focused for covering each time you lose the ball.

Right on, Ray G
  • Remzy69
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite
    Have your back 4 on stay back while attacking and play with defensive mentality.
  • DSmith
    817 posts Semi-Pro
    Do people really think offside trap is worth the risk? I love people using that against me as it's the most obvious thing in the game so just watch the radar and as they step up then play the through ball and they have to turn round so even the slower strikers can get through on goal.

The key is not to dive in. If you can see they will keep trying it position your defenders sensibly but make sure all of them have shadow or anchor on. If they truly only do this and it's not just because they can see you clearly can't handle it they'll struggle to know what to do when you're not letting your defenders commit.
  • Jwalls5096
    1064 posts Professional
    Try that scheiße with me and your getting injured
  • maksi
    6617 posts Big Money Move
    DSmith wrote: »
    Do people really think offside trap is worth the risk?
    only against inexperienced players, good players will tear you apart

• COLD-187
    1554 posts Play-Off Hero
    Shadow cards and counter attack
  • Uninstall Game
  • Teepo
    146 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Put Aubameyang and Bale at CB, trust me, it's fifa, it Works.
  • RayS
    Teepo wrote: »
    Put Aubameyang and Bale at CB, trust me, it's fifa, it Works.

:D