Match making should be 100% connection based!

[Z]one[ONE]
1400 posts Play-Off Hero
I don't mind losing against someone who is better than me because I can learn from my mistakes and become a better player.

The problem is losing games when lag gets involved. These games are pointless because it's impossible to know why you lost! Many people use lag as an excuse for losing but really it just stops you from seeing the real reason for the defeat.

I know matching people purely on connection would be problematic for newcomers and poor players but being able to see where you are going wrong is surely more important?

Comments

• Dannygfc
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    For the love of god YES!

In a perfect world, you would be able to select the match you want from a pool of potential opponents based on their connection. I'd love to see some sort of server browser system setup for us to choose games you know won't have **** loads of lag issues.
  • Neal1982
    813 posts Semi-Pro
    Agree. Each player should have their Lag meter so when you match someone you can decide.
    What would play someone with Red? It is just unenjoyable and a waste of 20 minutes button bashing and swearing.

They should have a minimum speed allowed to play online also.
    Why should someone with 200Mbps be stuck against someone with 3mbps!
  • bjornheisenberg
    3714 posts National Call-Up
    Game runs the same on 3mbs as 200mbs..Ok can argue that bufferbloat is more likely to cause a problem on the 200mbs connection.
  • Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    Neal1982 wrote: »
    They should have a minimum speed allowed to play online also.
    Why should someone with 200Mbps be stuck against someone with 3mbps!

You are aware that FIFA only uses a maximum of around 50kbs? A decent 1Mbs connection is more than enough bandwidth to handle a smooth online game.

The issues with lag are due to latency, packet loss and distance, it has nothing to do with how "fast" your internet connection is. And I've encounter plenty of 200mb (Virgin) connections with terrible packet loss and high latency. A large bandwidth guarantees nothing so people need to stop quoting numbers as if this negates any chance they're the one's with the issue.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP though. I would like to see a 30 second or even one minute network test done every time FUT is launched and then your connection stats are based on this for match making. The way it's done at the moment as long as someone manages a couple of pings under 150ms (150ms is very high latency by today’s standards) then they get green bars.

• bjornheisenberg
    Agree.
    I'm slightly more in favour of the argument that having a faster connection is more of a problem.
    But really it will depend on many factors out of our hands.
    Many think the internet is a place where data flows seamlessly.
    I don't think it's the case.
  • [Z]one[ONE]
    1400 posts Play-Off Hero
    Dannygfc wrote: »
    For the love of god YES!

In a perfect world, you would be able to select the match you want from a pool of potential opponents based on their connection. I'd love to see some sort of server browser system setup for us to choose games you know won't have **** loads of lag issues.
    This is a great idea!
  • TheMightyBee
    2094 posts Fans' Favourite
    Agree, I think ELO ruined a lot of the fun in FUT, I used to love playing someone and not having any idea of their skill level. If ELO is looked at before the connection quality it's stupid.

Plus what's the point of playing people who are at the same level as you, boring.
  • Usaid123
    767 posts Semi-Pro
    Lag always happens to me. If someone is better than me then im okay with that but when you lose to sweaty **** because of lag or button delay then it really pisses you off.
  • Retro_G
    29085 posts Player of the Year
    Console games are usually coded towards the lowest common denominator. The average internet speed around the world wouldn't be that fast lads.

I've a 360Mbps fiber connection. FIFA is really inconsistent, you will hear the same story on other forums from people using fast internet.

My Virgin Media contract is up next week. I'm going to downgrade, test a different ISP with slower speeds. I've heard numerous people on here say the game runs great on a slow connection. People will even limit their internet speed to get on the good side of lag compensation.
  • bjornheisenberg
    Virgin have a gamers package.
    Are you on that?

• Robes
    1735 posts Play-Off Hero
    Are you on that?

The gamer package is only 200Mbs and they don't actually do 360Mbs broadband so I think he's on the made up package.

I can limit my connection through my router and have tried this and can categorically say it makes no difference whatsoever.
  • Retro_G
    29085 posts Player of the Year
    Are you on that?

Yeah it's rubbish, inconsistent. They do be throttling during peek hours too, are always going down for maintenance. You try to have a go at them on the blower, you get a foreigner who can't even speak proper english.