Principled Fifa Snob or Sell Your Soul?

Claretnblue
265 posts Sunday League Hero
Well as the dreams of yet another WL fade and die, tied in nicely with a slide from Div 2 to 5, I look at my team and think, maybe I have it all wrong, maybe I should not have done the SBCs, the trading to get the legends, maybe I should just join the pack of winners, and pick those players that seem unbeatable...

Every WL Q team on Monday had Vardy, and every team I lost to WL Q MLS had Martial up front. The large percentage of teams I play against, have 4 out of the 5 EPL OP players, and so I start thinking yes, pace and stupidly OP lower rated cards are the way forward. Yes, I will have a Musa, Bailly and Martial squad. Then I think bollocks to being a sheep, i'll stick with the small victories, and actually have players I wanted in the first place, even if their high stats seem to mean nothing in the grand scheme of things in game.

So the question is, have any of you out there, sold out from the idea of your dream squad to pick up the EPL cookie cutter build to get wins, or have you stuck to your guns?

Comments

• BackDaddy
    3268 posts National Call-Up
    Nah, I lose all the time, I'm used to it haha. If I can't win playing the way I enjoy then I'll cop the loss
  • Ulook92
    12906 posts Has That Special Something
    BackDaddy wrote: »
    Nah, I lose all the time, I'm used to it haha. If I can't win playing the way I enjoy then I'll cop the loss

• Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    I can't figure out how to win with the OP players anyway so I just play how I like.
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26033 posts Player of the Year
    Nope, I stuck to my guns. I don't use prem players and my dream squad is still going strong.
  • Falafelmonster
    4823 posts National Call-Up
    What's your team? must of the times you might just have a wrong player or two. no need to scrape up everything man. good luck!
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    Nah, stick to your guns and have a little pride. Last thing you want is to be a time wasting nincompoop passing it around the back for 80 minutes because you got a lucky 10th minute goal
  • Dannygfc
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    GK- Lloris
    RB- IF Coleman
    CB- Koscielny
    CB- Otamendi
    LB- Azpilicueta
    CM- D.Silva
    CM- De Bruyne
    CAM- Ozil
    LW- Sanchez
    RW- Mahrez
    ST- IF Giroud

No SBC's done, I just liked these players and worked to get them. If I somehow get some luck in packs or raise some money I may tweak the squad, but I'm happy with where I'm at.
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    No I always play with and build different teams, I build teams by country, league, club and use silver silver and bronze players. Each year all my squad slots are full. When I play I try and play decent football by passing and not resorting to pace abuse or abusing mechanics etc. I also try and manually defend if that's what you call it which often means losing because of it. I would rather play this way and use the players and teams that I use than sell my soul.
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Is smalling OP?

Not really...he plays to his stats.

For sure he's overrated though.
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Is smalling OP?

Not really...he plays to his stats.

For sure he's overrated though.

He's just the best PL defender that's all. Not like theres much competition in that department.
  • Falafelmonster
    4823 posts National Call-Up
    Dannygfc wrote: »
    GK- Lloris
    RB- IF Coleman
    CB- Koscielny
    CB- Otamendi
    LB- Azpilicueta
    CM- D.Silva
    CM- De Bruyne
    CAM- Ozil
    LW- Sanchez
    RW- Mahrez
    ST- IF Giroud

No SBC's done, I just liked these players and worked to get them. If I somehow get some luck in packs or raise some money I may tweak the squad, but I'm happy with where I'm at.

Defense is solid as any of them. Used both azpi and Coleman you're set in that department.

Midfield way to attacking, who's going to make a stop/interception? Anyone with a little bit of strength will plow that midfield in half.
    Front needs replacing of giroud for sure, Mahrez maybe.

That's the harsh truth in my opinion. Work on that midfield and get giroud outta there and you'll see better results right away.
  • ImAtrocious
    1798 posts Play-Off Hero
    All for sticking to my guns here. Skipping replays, not spamming through balls, and just not playing like a **** is more rewarding to me. I'm loving building up my Serie A and Balotelli sides with all the great in-forms in that league.
  • Claretnblue
    265 posts Sunday League Hero
    Really refreshing to read these comments, focuses my mind on what the game is about, which is enjoying it at my level and appreciating the good games when they come along and put the gash ones to the back of my mind! Cheers!
  • frozenslash
    2233 posts Fans' Favourite
    to many people play the game to win not to have fun. I understand winning is a big part of having fun but using players you don't like or playing the way you're playing just to win is just bloody weird. why play a game you don't enjoy. it's meant to be a hobby. unless you're earning a salary playing the game of course then I understand the win at all costs mentality
  • BigBadAl696
    1009 posts Professional
    I flat out refuse to have Martial, Musa, Rashford, or Butland in my teams I make an exception for OTW Kante(I would be daft not to use him as he's an untradable) and only use Smalling if I have to with regard to requirements or suspensions of other defender. I sometimes think its a more in the mind when coming up against these players especially Butland in goal, it makes you try too hard and use your usual finishing method try not to think about it too much and do whats natural. Similar for other players though if coming up against the Musa, Martial brigade then I would recommend not having your defenders too high up the pitch so they can't just lob it through and run after it.
  • Danic123
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    Key to enjoyment on this game is to accept your level. Always try to improve & better yourself, but don't take it too personal when it's not going your way.

I've found that when I have lag, I can't defend to save my life. It's immensely frustrating & makes me play even worse. Makes me want to ditch perfectly good teams & playstyle because of frustration.

Stick to your guns though. The players you have do effect your results, but the real contributing factor is skill level and connection.
  • Sercs
    18672 posts World Class
    Understand if the front line and defence are ones you enjoy using, they are playing their positions afterall

However.. Silva and De Bruyne are out of position playing CM's in a 433-4. You want at least one box to box (Pereyra) mid and another mid which has either attacking mix with strength (toure, pogba, sissoko) or defensive (kante)
  • P1stolpete187
    5926 posts Big Money Move
    What you need to do is get otw Pjanic in CAM and 88 Mertens up front then these op premier league players become average
  • Uppedcart
    617 posts An Exciting Prospect
    This being my first FUT, I've listened to 2 massive pieces of advice that have transformed this game for me, the first is to play on defensive mentality and generally learn how to defend, and secondly, don't sprint everywhere! The idea of changing the speed of your attacks genuinely confuses your opponents and I think that being a one dimensional play will only work for half a game!
  • Dannygfc
    30 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Dannygfc wrote: »
    GK- Lloris
    RB- IF Coleman
    CB- Koscielny
    CB- Otamendi
    LB- Azpilicueta
    CM- D.Silva
    CM- De Bruyne
    CAM- Ozil
    LW- Sanchez
    RW- Mahrez
    ST- IF Giroud

Defense is solid as any of them. Used both azpi and Coleman you're set in that department.

Midfield way to attacking, who's going to make a stop/interception? Anyone with a little bit of strength will plow that midfield in half.
    Front needs replacing of giroud for sure, Mahrez maybe.

That's the harsh truth in my opinion. Work on that midfield and get giroud outta there and you'll see better results right away.

Cheers for the critiques. In all honesty, even versing stronger players I don't have much issues in the middle of the park, running side by side, yea it's hard to win a ball, but I do most of the winning of the ball front on and then BANG, straight back into attack, with silva and DeBruyne the perfect players to transition into attack. Mahrez ain't the fastest but can pass and can cross. So can Sanchez. On the ends of those crosses, a 6'5 Giroud, who 9 times outta 10 wins headers in the box. Doesn't matter if against AI or online opponent.

Doesn't mean I'm finished tho. If or when I get more coins etc. I would love to get Aguero as a false 9. I am waiting for an IF Xhaxa to beef up the midfield for Silva. I'm in no hurry tho :)