I could probably write a book on changes and additions that need to be made to career mode for FIFA 18 but I will try to shorten this post slightly ( the key word being try
- You should be able to be the actual manager of the team for Premier League clubs. What's the point in adding managers into the game if they just disappear if you manage that team? I'd much rather be Jurgen Klopp than some random generic manager.
- Creating a manager should be the same as creating a player. Then at least you could make the manager look vaguely like you.
- Managers should wear club colours. Why does Arsene Wenger have a tie with blue stripes on it? I also don't see why for licensed clubs they can't add the actual tracksuits into the game (for managers and staff/players on the bench).
- Press conferences need to be meaningful. I'm not saying they need to be like the ones in The Journey where you actually do an interview, but the current ones are literally pointless.
- Perhaps in the same way as The Journey, you're comments in press conferences could increase/decrease your 'rating' with different people (players/fans/board/media/etc.)
- You need to be able to train far more players per week than five. I think squad training should be added as well as player training. That way you could add things for the whole squad/different groups to work on. Then have player training as well to give individuals extra work.
- You need to get proper reports on how your loaned out players are performing. For example, if I loan out a player from a PL club to the Championship, I want to be able to see how they have been performing in the Championship. As far as I am aware, the only way to see your loaned players' stats is to go on the squad report. This only shows stats for the competitions your club is competing in. Therefore, if a player is not playing in the same league as the parent club, you can only see their stats for cup competitions. And if they are in a different country then you can't see anything except their attributes.
- U23 and Youth teams need to be added as if is so frustrating when you have younger players with high potentials sitting in the reserves not improving as much as they could be. These games could be summed but you could get match reports so you could see which players are performing well, etc.
- When you scout a player it would be cool if you could get reports on how the player has been performing at their current club (as happens in real life). The scouts could advise you as to whether the player would be a good fit for the club and what the stronger/weaker areas of their game are rather than (or as well as) just revealing all their stats.
- The crowd behaviour needs to be greatly improved. For example, leaving early if the team is losing heavily, emptier ground if the team is on a bad run, noticeable increase in crowd volume if the team is losing/drawing in the latter stages of the game.
- You should be able to select a Club Captain and also a Vice-Captain. This would mean your captain would always have the armband when they were on the pitch, even if they've come off the bench.
- You should be able to interact with players at any time during the career mode. I guess similarly to praising/motivating a player in a "press conference" but in more depth. The fact that you get emails from players is stupid.
- Injuries need to be improved in terms of realism. First of all, I think that physios and stretchers need to be added to the game for more serious injuries (obviously these cinematics could be skipped if people don't want to sit through it). Also, it is so annoying when a player gets injured in a game but doesn't have to be substituted and they play the rest of the game with the cross next to them and then you get n email after the game saying they have a sprained ankle and will be out for 3 weeks. If the injury was that bad, how did they just play over an hour with it?
- Also, when a player is returning from injury, they should regain match fitness and sharpness from actually playing matches rather than just training. It is unrealistic for a player who has been out for 3 months, for example, to be 100% match fit and sharp without playing any matches. This is another reason why having an U23/Reserve team would be good as it would allow players who have had substantial injury lay-offs to regain match fitness and sharpness.
- It is a bit annoying if, like myself, you like to have player appearances (e.g. boots) up to date in career mode. The edit player feature is obviously good as it means you can change players boots during the season. However, it would be good if EA could make an appearance update which is separate from squad updates as even I would not go through all the players in a league updating their boots. This would mean that the appearance update would be separate from attributes updates and could therefore be applied to career mode. This would also mean that the November face update could be applied to existing career modes and people wouldn't have to re-start to have the new starheads. I'm not sure if this would be possible but I don't see why i wouldn't be.
- Also, the sleeve badges and numbers on kits should change for the league you are in (e.g. Premier League and Championship badges and numbers are different).
These are some of the main things that I think would improve career mode but obviously there are loads more things that need to be changed. Of course EA will undoubtedly ignore career mode yet again for FIFA 18. If anyone has bothered to read any of this, thanks