Nepenthez-his court case

Comments

• Tripledoubleyoo
    265 posts Sunday League Hero
    SO Nepenthez is in court for promoting gambling but EA sports who makes the game and ask you to gamble on packs isn't in court?

Either those coins are considered real money, in which case both EA and Nepenthez push children to gamble, or it isn't....
  • Lynchu
    1044 posts Professional
    It's a shame he got involved with the gambling stuff as compared to 90% of the other FIFA youtubers his content isn't all that bad.
  • AEsey
    6053 posts Big Money Move
    Nepenthe a doesn't have a gambling licence
  • TC2289
    122 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    YesEA wrote: »
    Nepenthe a doesn't have a gambling licence

Neither do EA....

• ShadowzAssociate
    162 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    There is an article on the guardian where it states a kid spent nearly 600 quid on that website. It is alright for nepenthez as hes done well with his youtube career. But there is kids out of pocket because of his actions.
  • Clancy
    8484 posts League Winner
    SO Nepenthez is in court for promoting gambling but EA sports who makes the game and ask you to gamble on packs isn't in court?

Either those coins are considered real money, in which case both EA and Nepenthez push children to gamble, or it isn't....

yeah this is a strong precedent if you're arguing packs are gambling IMO

the thing is trading card games have being doing this for years. If they decide FUT is gambling then so is Magic the Gathering, Yu-gi-oh, and baseball cards
  • ThomasF1_GR
    250 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited February 2017
    The argument that "Nepenthez took advantage of kids and their stupidity" is not valid imo. First of all, kids have parents who should take care of them and protect them from gambling and also EA does the same with packs. Kids take their parents credit cards to buy FPs and coins. The problem was that Nepenthez didn't have the legal right to operate a business like futgalaxy, if he had the license there would be no case.
    Post edited by ThomasF1_GR on
  • Hullock04321
    549 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Clancy wrote: »

the thing is trading card games have being doing this for years. If they decide FUT is gambling then so is Magic the Gathering, Yu-gi-oh, and baseball cards

Not the same as real trading cards. Because you're buying a physical product - whereas Fifa points aren't physical. While it can be argued, as it was, that they can be exchanged for real money, you aren't actually buying anything.

Fifa/ea are also exempt here, because it states in their terms and conditions that players/coins/packs/accounts etc CANNOT be sold for real money.
  • LoftyMatt
    471 posts Sunday League Hero

Not the same as real trading cards. Because you're buying a physical product - whereas Fifa points aren't physical. While it can be argued, as it was, that they can be exchanged for real money, you aren't actually buying anything.

Fifa/ea are also exempt here, because it states in their terms and conditions that players/coins/packs/accounts etc CANNOT be sold for real money.

Out of interest isnt selling fifa points technically selling packs and players? What are fifa points spent on?

People spend real money to buy fifa points in order to buy packs (in other words buying players from packs). So surely fifa are selling players/packs in theory for real money.
  • fluffymnuffy
    12775 posts Has That Special Something
    The argument that "Nepenthez took advantage of kids and their stupidity" is not valid. First of all, kids have parents who should take care of them and protect them from gambling and also EA does the same with packs. Kids take their parents credit cards to buy FPs and coins. The problem was that Nepenthez didn't have the legal right to operate a business like futgalaxy, if he had the license there would be no case.

if he had a license he still can't promote underage gambling lol
  • Hullock04321
    LoftyMatt wrote: »

Out of interest isnt selling fifa points technically selling packs and players? What are fifa points spent on?

People spend real money to buy fifa points in order to buy packs (in other words buying players from packs). So surely fifa are selling players/packs in theory for real money.

It's ea's product... they can make and sell what they chose to. People know that when they purchase it. That's a complete non-argument. I could design my own game and create micro purchases and sell online products. Once the company belongs to me I can therefore make it my terms and conditions to stop others re-selling on my products - which is essentially what nepenthez was doing.

Ea can do what they like with their own product. Comparing EA to what nepenthez did is not only wrong, but stupid.
  • ThomasF1_GR
    The argument that "Nepenthez took advantage of kids and their stupidity" is not valid. First of all, kids have parents who should take care of them and protect them from gambling and also EA does the same with packs. Kids take their parents credit cards to buy FPs and coins. The problem was that Nepenthez didn't have the legal right to operate a business like futgalaxy, if he had the license there would be no case.

How exactly was he promoting specifically underage gambling? Was his site only for kids? No, he was promoting gambling but he didn't have the right to do so.
    If children take money from their parents and gamble online (which they do anyway by opening packs) then it's not Nepenthez's fault but the parents.
  • LoftyMatt
    471 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited February 2017
    LoftyMatt wrote: »

It's ea's product... they can make and sell what they chose to. People know that when they purchase it. That's a complete non-argument. I could design my own game and create micro purchases and sell online products. Once the company belongs to me I can therefore make it my terms and conditions to stop others re-selling on my products - which is essentially what nepenthez was doing.

Ea can do what they like with their own product. Comparing EA to what nepenthez did is not only wrong, but stupid.

No need for the comment basically calling me stupid. I was merely querying a thought i had. At the end of the day i dont really care if people spend thousands of pounds buying points to get players. I havent other than buying the more expensive version in 2015 and that was due to it being only £5 more. That is their decision at the end of the day.

I also dont condone people who sell players for real life money or coin sellers etc, so understand why EA dont condone people who do it. If anything this happening is actually ruining the game for people who play it like me the way its meant to be played.

In this day an age you get pounced on for asking/making a point which was open for discussion or if your interested on the opinion of other people. If so many people react like this its no wonder the younger generation get away with what ever they like, dont have a clue about money etc and then get into trouble for spending all of mommy and daddy's money! Its a game at the end of the day, just try to enjoy it as best as you can.

Wish i hadnt even bothered to comment now!
  • fluffymnuffy
    12775 posts Has That Special Something

How exactly was he promoting specifically underage gambling? Was his site only for kids? No, he was promoting gambling but he didn't have the right to do so.
    If children take money from their parents and gamble online (which they do anyway by opening packs) then it's not Nepenthez's fault but the parents.
    You're clueless so I won't even bother
  • Liam
    629 posts An Exciting Prospect
    There is an article on the guardian where it states a kid spent nearly 600 quid on that website. It is alright for nepenthez as hes done well with his youtube career. But there is kids out of pocket because of his actions.

I'm not sure what kid has access to that kind of money without their parents consent anyway. If that child hadn't spent the money on Nep's website he would have just spent it on another website instead. As far as I'm concerned that's entirely the parents fault.
  • ThomasF1_GR
    edited February 2017

You're clueless so I won't even bother

Enlighten me then with your wisdom kind sir. Sorry if i waste your precious time.
  • TC2289
    122 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Liam wrote: »

I'm not sure what kid has access to that kind of money without their parents consent anyway. If that child hadn't spent the money on Nep's website he would have just spent it on another website instead. As far as I'm concerned that's entirely the parents fault.

Correct, but these days as we all know you can't challlenge anyone's little darling in case they end up "scarred by words and develop psychological problems", or ADHD, or other made up illnesses to excuse Children's bad behavior/lack of parental discipline
  • ThomasF1_GR

Exactly.
  • Hullock04321

Exactly.

Money this money that, blah blah blah. At the end of the day, the crime he committed was promoting/profiting from a gambling website without a license. End of it all, he broke the law.
  • ThomasF1_GR

Exactly.

Money this money that, blah blah blah. At the end of the day, the crime he committed was promoting/profiting from a gambling website without a license. End of it all, he broke the law.

And i completelly agree. He did break the law and he is rightly being punished for it.
  • Liam
    629 posts An Exciting Prospect

Exactly.

I completely agree - I was responding to the person that mentioned the child that spent a lot of money on his site. Nep shouldn't have done what he did, but it isn't his fault a child was able to spend that kind of money on his website. It's either irresponsible parenting, or a very wealthy family where that kind of money isn't relevant.
  • CeeQue
    15092 posts World Class

Exactly.

And he paid for it literally
  • Hullock04321
    CeeQue wrote: »

Exactly.

He's undefendable. Anyone who tries to defend him is in my eyes a complete moron. If you defend him you're practically saying that this is acceptable behaviour. He knew he had a lot of children as his audience (he mentions it in numerous videos), and he was very happy to influence them into spending money on his website - whether it be their money or their parents, is irrelevant. He was fully aware of what he was doing, and he was very happy to do so. Whether or not he knew it was a crime, he certainly knew it was morally wrong and continued to do it. The guys a ❤️❤️❤️❤️.
  • Tripledoubleyoo
    265 posts Sunday League Hero
    Well here is the counter argument:

If coins, as per EA terms, are not real money and cannot be exchanged for real money, then how is gambling with them gambling at all?

Poker websites have "play" chips in countries like the US where online gambling is not allowed. It is not considered real money and therefor not considered gambling.

If Nepenthez website charged and only gave the winner back coins, the winner never got any money back from the gamble. So Nepenthez lawyer could argue that he was only charging for the right to participate in a game which only rewarded the winner with valueless tokens.

Nepenthez website did the exact same thing EA does, except he didn't have a good lawyer to draft a terms and conditions contract like EA asks you to acknowledge at the beginning of the game.
  • Hullock04321

If coins, as per EA terms, are not real money and cannot be exchanged for real money, then how is gambling with them gambling at all?

Poker websites have "play" chips in countries like the US where online gambling is not allowed. It is not considered real money and therefor not considered gambling.

If Nepenthez website charged and only gave the winner back coins, the winner never got any money back from the gamble. So Nepenthez lawyer could argue that he was only charging for the right to participate in a game which only rewarded the winner with valueless tokens.

Nepenthez website did the exact same thing EA does, except he didn't have a good lawyer to draft a terms and conditions contract like EA asks you to acknowledge at the beginning of the game.

It states in EA's terms and conditions that their products cannot be sold to a second party. He broke their TOS by doing what he did, aswell as breaking the law.
  • AEsey
    6053 posts Big Money Move

It states in EA's terms and conditions that their products cannot be sold to a second party. He broke their TOS by doing what he did, aswell as breaking the law.

Fair enough
  • Sandell85
    7705 posts League Winner

Exactly.

He's undefendable. Anyone who tries to defend him is in my eyes a complete moron. If you defend him you're practically saying that this is acceptable behaviour. He knew he had a lot of children as his audience (he mentions it in numerous videos), and he was very happy to influence them into spending money on his website - whether it be their money or their parents, is irrelevant. He was fully aware of what he was doing, and he was very happy to do so. Whether or not he knew it was a crime, he certainly knew it was morally wrong and continued to do it. The guys a ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

You dont think people should get a second chance?
    I dont get why people get so angry for every little thing.
  • ShadowzAssociate
    162 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Sandell85 wrote: »

Exactly.

You dont think people should get a second chance?
    I dont get why people get so angry for every little thing.

Its because he influenced children to gamble. Hes mentioned in videos (used as evidence in court) that you dont need to be 18 to do it and so they can go ahead with it.

He already earns enough as a youtuber. The fact he was trying to take advantage of children to line his own pockets its shocking. He definetely knew what he was doing. He just thought he would get away with it.
  • emirejc
    71 posts Park Captain
    I guess there is no taking sides here. He is guilty, he f**ked up really bad and will pay for it. But then again, I want to hear his side of story which will be public within a week or so. I watch his RTG series and it's only thing that interest me from all those FIFA videos and channels on YouTube. Hope he learned his lesson but everyone makes mistakes, there is no need for some really nasty comments.
  • bgp1845
    1820 posts Play-Off Hero
    i see this devolved into "EA's packs are totally the same thing as gambling" in record time!

whats his sentence? wasn't the max up to a year?
This discussion has been closed.